Start by marking “A Life Without You” as Want to Read:
A Life Without You

A Life Without You

Touching, funny, and bittersweet, this is a story that will make you laugh, cry, and call your best friend to tell her you love her.

Dee and Jen have been best friends since their days of teenage crushes, bad 90's make-up and huge hair.

Published April 1st 2017 by Aria

To ask other readers questions about A Life Without You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Life Without You

Sarah Joint
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really dramatic and heart-wrenching read. It does a great job of portraying grief and regret. When a very loved person dies far too young, those left behind all have different ways of dealing with it. Dee, who died tragically in her early thirties, was an amazing woman. Her huge smile and big personality charmed everyone she met. She was beautiful, successful, and very loved.

Jen and Dee were not only business partners, but best friends since they were children. The women and their significant ot
Sky
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After reading The Story of Our Life by Shari Low i was super keen to read her next book A Life without You and all i can say is wow.

Shari Low's writing style is just amazing.
From the moment you pick up the book and start reading you can't help but be captivated. Her books are always touching, bittersweet and will pull at your heartstrings. If you lucky like me you may even shed a tear!

A Life without You follows the story of two best friends Dee and Jen. They have been friends since high school
Lisa-Books Smiles
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.25 stars. This book is advertised as "An emotional page-turner to make you laugh and cry" and that's exactly what I did throughout the entire book. I am looking forward to picking up other books by Shari Low.
Lynne
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book.

This is a story about Jen and Dee. Best friends for so many years, they couldn’t imagine their lives without the other. As close as sisters, co-owners of a successful business and, along with their husband/boyfriend, inseparable. Everything is wonderful until Dee is killed in a tragic accident and Jen is forced to pick up the pieces of her life and move past the loss.

Oh my goodness. Get ready to cry – big ugly tears. Not only do we grieve ri
Grass monster
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing

The Blurb :
They’ve passed every milestone of their lives together and now in their thirties own a successful boutique, sharing a bond that is as strong as the closest of sisters.
Until one day everything changes.
Dee is gone, killed by a reckless driver, leaving Jen to face the harsh reality of a world without her.
Jen vows to honour Dee’s dreams and take care of everything and everyone she lov
Madeline Doyle
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Easy reading.

It was a bit predictable., but enjoyable. Able to get back into the story even after leaving it down for a couple of days.
Mistress  #darklings
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have been an avid reader and follower of Shari Lows since i first read; The Story Of Our Lives, followed by The Other Wives Club a few months ago. Shari is an author i discovered through Netgalley, and am i pleased i did!
As it was then and still is now, it's the beautifully designed covers that first attracted me. Lovely, simple, clean designs with such vibrant colours, you can't help but smile and feel yourself lift, just by looking at them. They hold a promise of what lies within, and i gua
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

Dee and Jen's friendship was one of a kind; the storyline made that extremely clear from the very beginning. Witnessing how close they were, even for such a short space of time, was such a joy to see. But out of the blue, a nervous feeling started to come over me and as I hadn't read the blurb beforehand, I had no idea what I was nervous about as I didn't know what would happen. Just as I was trying to ignore the nervou
Alison Cairns
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I cried from the first chapter. I wasn't expecting that, and started the book with breakfast one morning. Off I went to work with a tear stained face! Thanks Shari! I've read Shari Low's books from the beginning, although I hadn't seen any for a while until I rediscovered the newer books recently. I found them quite different, in that the while earlier books were more raunchy, the more recent ones are dealing with grittier issues. Always a pleasure to read, with sympathetic characters. As Dee's ...more
Rachel Gilbey
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well the opening chapter was certainly incredibly dramatic, I couldn't tear my eyes away from the action, even though the end result was devastating. From then on the whole story navigates around a family and friends that are coming to terms with the tragic death of Dee, who even in the memories, often added the boost to chapters, she was larger than life, and full of laughter and love.

The main living character in the book is Jen, who was Dee's best friend. She is pretty much part of the family
Jules (Never enough time to read)
I loved it. I loved the sad bits, I loved the happy bits and I loved all the bits in between.

This is my 2nd Shari Low novel and it wont be my last, she is fast becoming a favourite author of mine.

I'm going to miss Jen, Luke, Mark, Val and especially Josie.
Carly
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A good but sad story
Nenette
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
How the sudden death of a loved one can cause not only immense grief but many unexpected chain of events is well demonstrated in this book. Dee’s demise brought out among her loved ones facets that would normally have not surfaced. Their strengths, their love, and loyalty were put to the test. To be able to cope or not is really up to the person. It is very true how one can appear calm and collected, but actually so torn up inside.

Shari Low again demonstrated her skillful writing that had me wan
Mary Geraghty
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love and loss

Loved reading this book. I loved the way it gave insight to all the characters and how each one felt about their grief. The main emotion though was love, also showed nobody is perfect. Beautifully written.😊
Sally Coles
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dee and Jen have been best friends since school and so when Dee is killed by a druggie motorist she is absolutely devastated - the biggest part of her life has just gone. To make matters worse her own boyfriend of 15 years ups and leaves her as well.

Totally lost Jen turns more and more to Dee's husband as they try and console each other over the huge gap in their lives - but as Jen learns some secrets she has to make a decision about her own future.

A lovely bittersweet book, very emotional but w
Eve beinguniquebooks
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Set in Glasgow focusing on the lives of two friends since they were five years old, Dee and Jen.

They run a business together now all week except Sunday's or probable party day considering when we meet them!

However, a crime on the doorstep and a one in a million accident sees us watch as Dee tries to save little Archie a young child from a car hitting him, thus instead we see Dee through Jen's horrified eyes and how she comes to term with what she's not just witnessed but just whom she has now lo
Chelsea Harper
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Helen Leecy
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such an emotional book; I knew it would be just from the description. However, I didn’t expect it to make me think! It made me think about my life and what people would think about me when I’m gone. Dee was so loved and so colourful when she was alive that she had given the loved ones that she left behind a lifetime of happy memories to draw upon when they needed to feel her presence.
You really felt the pain of their loss emanating from the pages of the book, but you also felt the pain
Amanda Sayer
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books-read
Jen and Dee have been best friends for ever. When Jens mum died and her dad became a drunk Dees family took her in like one of her own. They became close as sisters, set up a business together and are always as a foursome with Dees husband Luke and Jens partner Pete. One day everything changes when Dee is hit by a car and killed. The closest people in her life have to try to move on with their lives picking up the pieces as they go.
There were lots of characters in this story, the main four (Dee
Angela
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked the story and after the big reveal about Dee I wasn't sure that I would. Dee and Jen have been lifelong friends and are around each other every day up to the day that Dee dies. We're told through Jen that Dee was the best friend, adventurous and daring and the opposite to Jen but in the best ways. So its a shock when Jen learns that there were parts of Dee's life that she never told Jen about despite all the years of friendship. Overall its a bitter tale and despite the flaws of the char ...more
Nandi
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I throughly enjoyed this book a lot but I found extremely repetitive especially the parts regarding val. This book was everything a true tragedy should have it was memorable heart wrenching, emotional and yet I felt I didn’t know the characters completely and fully especially Jen I couldn’t completed picture what she looked like in my mind nor the other character this book was extremely well written but you already knew the ending at the beginning of book.
Scott Chapman
May 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
There were no laughs here!

I enjoyed getting to know all the charActers, a nd their relationships with each other. Reminds one of who you invited to your wedding, but then grew apart. Backstabbing, dishonesty, broken relationships, infidelities.
What is funny in all this?
Shari low has not let me down quite this "low", if you'll forgive the pun.
Skip it and go on to to her next great read, which is sure to come.
Jilly
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This is my second book by Shari Low and I enjoyed it as much as the first one.

It is the story of Dee and Jen, best friends since school. Sadly Dee dies in the first chapeter but she remains at the centre of the story.

Jen thinks she knew Dee better than anyone but it seems Dee didn't tell her everything after all. Dee had secrets. Secrets that threaten to tear a family apart. A family who are already struggling with their grief.

Jen realises that the only way forward for them all is to let go o
Julie Brierley
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like this author's writing style,it pulls you into the novel so that you care about the characters. There's also more than just one central character but a good strong cast of characters to keep you interested. The story is about how a group of people cope with the sudden loss of a charismatic successful young woman in the year following her death.
Hella
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Prettig lezend tussendoortje. Het speelt in Glasgow en heeft ook wel een Schots sfeertje.
De thematiek (hoe nabestaanden omgaan met het verlies van een dierbare) wordt luchtig en met wat zelfspot uitgewerkt, en de romantiek net zo, dus nergens te zoet of te melodramatisch. In het genre chicklit een van de betere.
maria seilius
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great characters .

A very well depicted tale of love , loss and grief that we can all relate to . It's a sad tale that is also funny at times . It will also raise the question how well do we really know anybody . Not always as well as we presume to and this is the crux of this tale . Well worth a read .
Elly
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
A fluffy page turner. Easy to read, characters with some emotional depth, enough turns that it’s not entirely unpredictable and I liked that Dee wasn’t the perfect angel in the end (and even more that Jen didn’t feel the need to ruin Luke’s view of her).

It was a sweet read, good for passing time and escapism/distraction.
Cheryl Bellingham
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this book but I did not love it. If you want an read for a Saturday afternoon then it's perfect. It's the story of the loss of someone important within a family and how individuals deal with that and eventually find a way through. Don't be put off it's not tears and sorrow but a story of survival and learning to live again.
Alison Offerdal
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another heart warming novel

Another page turner from Shari Low. When tragedy strikes a family a d rose knit group of friends, all struggle with it in their own ways. But through grief, comes live and hope, often least where you expect it. Highly recommend.
Amanda James
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this book, had me crying in the first couple of chapters to being hooked as to what was going on with the central characters throughout. Slightly predictable in parts, but nevertheless a good enjoyable read
  • What I Did On My Holidays
  • Stupid Cupid
  • Drie vrienden, een huis [en een klusjesman]
  • The Mummyfesto
  • An Act of Love
  • Le brave ragazze combinano guai
  • Platino
  • The Year of Saying Yes
  • The Jewels of Manhattan
  • Could It Be I'm Falling In Love
Shari Low has published eighteen books under her own name and pseudonyms Millie Conway and Ronni Cooper. She is also one half of the writing duo, Shari King, with old friend and TV presenter, Ross King.
Back in the nineties, after living abroad for many years, Shari returned to Scotland, met a guy, got engaged after a week, and twenty-something years later she lives near Glasgow with her husband,