Start by marking “Scream All Night” as Want to Read:
Scream All Night

Scream All Night

A darkly hilarious contemporary realistic young adult novel about growing up and finding your place in the world, perfect for fans of Me and Earl and the Dying Girl and Running With Scissors.

Dario Heyward knows one thing: He’s never going back to Moldavia Studios, the iconic castle that served as the set, studio, and home to the cast and crew of dozens of cult classic B-ho
Published July 24th 2018 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Scream All Night, please sign up.
Devon Munn You can't read full novels on Goodreads. Goodreads is a place for readers to connect through their love of reading. If you want to read the book go…moreYou can't read full novels on Goodreads. Goodreads is a place for readers to connect through their love of reading. If you want to read the book go buy it(less)

Chelsea Humphrey
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-publisher
“My dad was notorious for overworking actors. He’d film screams until voices were completely shot. He felt there was a real terror that would creep into a scream after a certain point. He was always after that moment, that elusive truth… “Scream all night!” my dad would say, gleefully. It became a catchphrase. He started saying it whenever he was about to film a new scene.”

Where to begin? I don’t think I’ve had the pleasure of reviewing a novel that’s been so unique in all my time of reading.
Jeffrey Keeten
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hollywood, horror
”This is a house full of misfits, everyone unmoored from the world outside these gates. They don’t belong out there. They live in a constantly moving dreamworld of imagined horrors, spurts of gore, skulking monsters---creatures more aberrant than themselves. After all, it takes true misfits to make believable monsters.”

photo Universal20Monsters_zpsjp0a4oyt.jpg

Moldavia Studios is the creepy castle safely tucked away from the world by a large gate to protect a colorful, odd group of people all happily suffering from a dissociation from
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I loved it. Because I did! 🖤🐺😘
Cameron Chaney
Sometimes as a writer, I'll read a book that I believe to be perfect in every way and, even though I love it, I also kind of hate it because I'm incredibly jealous of the author's skill to write something so flawless. Scream All Night by Derek Milman is one of those books.

The story follows 17-year-old Dario (yes, named after the Italian Giallo-film director) who grew up in Moldavia Studios, a literal spooky castle owned by his film-director father. Moldavia filmed and produced many, many cult ho
Stephanie (That's What She Read)
4.5
This was a perfect Stephanie book. Our main character Dario Heyward was raised in a gothic castle that was also the set for many b-horror movies that his famous father directed (basically my fantasy life). After some traumatizing events he is legally emancipated from his parents and now lives in the Keenan group home, but as he returns home he find himself getting roped back into the world of Moldavia. I loved the idea of this character having to go and face his past, deal with difficult (qu
Erin
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: electric-18s
Can a story be both completely absurd and cuttingly poignant? Well, apparently yes. Enter SCREAM ALL NIGHT, which is as much a campy celebration of weirdness as it is a thoughtful character study of a kid who's been dealt a seriously rough hand in life. Even when it's at its most surreal, this book still manages to seem relatable, in part because Milman's writing never shies away from the emotional core of the story, and because main character Dario serves as our brilliant, damaged, and bigheart ...more
Derek Milman
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi, hi there, I'm Derek! I wrote SCREAM ALL NIGHT.

First off, there will be signed ARCs and giveaways and scavenger hunts and me coming over to your house to watch horror movies with you and your family (OK, maybe not that last thing, unless there's free pizza involved). Anyway, check my website for updates about fun stuff like that, as well as some FAQs about the book.

Also, if you wish, follow me on Twitter and IG! @DerekMilman.

SCREAM ALL NIGHT is a YA contemporary, a dark comedy, about 17-year-
Cold Brew Reads
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full of hairpin turns from hilarious to heartrending, SCREAM ALL NIGHT is completely unique and completely enthralling. Dario’s the perfect narrator—his unflappable wry humor and world-weary sensitivity provide the perfect entry to the unpredictable, sinister world of Moldavia Studios, the failing horror B-movie studio he inherits upon his father’s death (in one of the more memorable funeral scenes ever committed to the page). The supplementary characters are developed with equal nuance and prov ...more
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Moldavia is a huge castle on the Heyward estate that also serves as a studio for the family's B-horror movie company, Moldavia Studios. Following an odd childhood of starring in his father's films & enduring his abuses, Dario has become emancipated & currently resides in a group home.

After the passing of his father, 17-year-old Dario is recruited back to the place of his worst nightmares.

This book has one of the more unique premises I've read in the Young Adult genre. It gets a bit diff
Katya Becerra
The verdict: Don't miss this amazing debut! Unique and complex, SCREAM ALL NIGHT is a story of a reluctant heir to a movie empire at peril. Come for the love of horror movies, stay for the coming-of-age story of facing down your childhood demons. Oh, and all the quirky jokes! The book deals with some heavy topics, too, but handles those well and in a respectful manner.

P.S. Finishing this book has left me with this unquenchable thirst to establish my own horror movie studio AND to live in a cast
Rachel Solomon
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: electric-18s
One of the most unique YAs I've read in a long time! The setting - a castle where protagonist Dario's father has filmed dozens of B-horror movies - is creepy and quirky and deeply immersive. Film is one of the toughest mediums to write about because it's so visual, but Derek Milman truly brings it to life. SCREAM ALL NIGHT gave me major Clue and Rocky Horror vibes; fans of those types of cult classics will gobble up this book.
Dana Mele
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I recently read Derek Milman’s captivating Scream All Night. One part Royal Tenenbaums and one part Running With Scissors, it tells the story of the heir to a horror movie studio forced to return to the castle/lot where he grew up and was subjected to very real horrors by his family members. Sure to be an instant hit, this book is both hilarious and sobering.
K.A.
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SCREAM ALL NIGHT has everything I love: human monsters; laugh out loud hilarity (seriously, so hilarious); dark emotional backstory; a sweet meaningful love; great friendships; interesting characters and killer setting (pun intended); and uniqueness for miles. Plus, it all takes place in a castle that makes B grade horror movies and everyone is a bit bananas.

I love this book, hurt for the characters (so much hurt, I wanted to hug them so badly), and had such a great time reading. HIGHLY RECOMMEN
Amelinda Bérubé
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can't remember the last book that made me laugh this hard, but under the wild zombie makeup this story has a beating, compassionate heart. I will be foisting this with great glee upon all my Rocky Horror-loving weirdo friends who played screaming heads and chainsaw killers at the local Haunted Barn - but I think anyone will recognize Dario's struggle to face his monsters and claim his place.
Jordan Milman
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Derek Milman's Scream All Night is a triumph of the YA genre that transcends strict adherence to categoric norms. Part dark comedy, part soulful coming-of-age story, part family drama, the narrative is propelled by Dario's distinctively tortured yet truly funny voice. Milman somehow makes this erudite but unmistakably Millennial protagonist relatable - and likeable- to readers of all stripes by giving him an unironic moral core that anchors the story amidst all manner of zany and even downright ...more
Books and Guacamole
This book was absolutely everything I hoped it would be and more!! The setting at a B-movie horror studio was the perfect combination of camp and creativity, with both perfectly ridiculous and truly tragic touches. I laughed out loud more times than I can count (especially when reading Oren’s script—seriously I could have read this book for Oren’s hilarious script alone). But on top of the humor and the gothic, SCREAM ALL NIGHT is also emotional and touching. Dario’s healing journey was nuanced ...more
Lindsay
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before reading SCREAM ALL NIGHT, I’d heard it was a hilarious, campy, slightly creepy and fascinating tribute to B-horror movies. And don’t get me wrong, it completely delivered on all of these things. But I wasn’t prepared for it to emotionally wreck me the way it did! Hiding in the cobwebbed corners of this wonderful book are some tender, heart-wrenching, completely beautiful moments, and these were my favorite parts of the story – they both surprised and completely gutted me.

OK, a little more
Marie
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2018-releases
I'm a bit surprised about that one, because I ended up enjoyin it more than I thought I would! It had tons of interesting characters and relationships, a great focus on family and good character development for our main character. I really enjoyed the original setting of the studios, some moments made me laugh for sure. I wasn't totally on board with the romance in that book, but loved the best friends vibes.
Full review will be coming soon! :)
Kate
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
I really enjoyed this!

Dario is about to turn 18 is living voluntarily in a group foster home after legally emancipation himself from his family. But now his father is dying and the fate of the family's B Horror Movie empire rests in Dario's unwilling hands. Can he handle the ghosts, both literal and figurative, and return to the castle/movie studio home or will he ditch the kooky family and head to Harvard?
Deborah Schaumberg
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reviewing ARC -

Scream All night is one of those books that takes you late into the night, losing track of time, because you can not put it down! It's clever and well-written, funny and sad, and thoroughly enjoyable. I loved a peek into the movie-making world, and the characters are so fully developed I feel like I know them personally, like I might see one of them in an upcoming B-horror flick! I also loved how the family dynamics and dysfunction felt very, very real. Great book!
Brian Williams
Derek Milman's Scream All Night is one of those books that I can't get out of my head. I've read it a couple of times now, and it grows richer and deeper each time. On the surface, it's a dark comedy. But as you delve deeper into the world, there is a tragic, almost gothic (in both the traditional literary sense, and the "goth" sense) story lurking underneath the farcical scenes of filmmaking chaos and the wry commentary of our hero, Dario Heyward.

At first glance, you might think Dario has an e
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
This book really surprised me.  Not only did it have the horror movie setting, but it was funny and touching.

First a few warnings for abuse from a parent, mental illness, drug abuse,and miscarriage.  There are also parts that are pretty gory while discussing the movies.  I think most people requesting this are probably ok with gore though.

Dario is a 17 year old kid living in a group home.  He left his family home at 12 because of abuse and neglect.  His family home was Moldavia where all his dad
Max Baker
Thank you Edelweiss for providing me a DRC in exchange for an honest review

I love horror films and so-bad-there-gold ones are a staple of the genre. Milman takes monster movies, gratuitous gore, ridiculous logic and not only writes a love letter to the genre, but weaves a truly impactful story about abuse and the lingering effects it has on a person. It's dark, it's hopeful, and it's got just the right amount of ridiculousness to make me smile right when I needed it.

Scream All Night follows Dari
Mandy Stadtmiller
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unlike anything you've ever read. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the next big thing in YA honestly.
Stephanie Gillespie
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it

ARC provided by edelwiess in exchange for an honest review.

Trigger warnings for mental illness and child abuse.

SCREAM ALL NIGHT  is a coming of age story about a boy who has to face his childhood demons and return to his home. I was first drawn to this book because I love horror movies. This book's main setting is a a movie studio that makes horror movies. What I
wasn't expecting was the abuse that Dario suffers as a child and the mental illness representat
Katherine Salmon
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Happy Thursday Night Owls! You guys are in for a treat today because I’m finally sharing my review of Scream All Night by Derek Milman. He was kind enough to send me a copy of his debut novel, and I’m so happy he did because I loved this book so much. It also happens to be released on my birthday, which is July 24th. You guys should pick it up on its release date because you’ll love it. 4.5/5 stars from me!

In this novel, we follow Dario Hayward, whose family runs Moldavia Studio. Moldavia was a
Keegan David
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm a horror freak. And I also like Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, AbFab, National Lampoon and an old show from the 90's, Kids In the Hall. So this book was perfect for me. I laughed, and enjoy reading about living in a horror studio that is also a creepy castle. Well I laughed. That's for sure. And I loved all the movie making references, and the paralelles to old horror movies that they used to show late at night. But what I didn't expect to do was want to call my mom, my dad, and my brother. Th ...more
Elenna
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
** Review is from Advanced Reader Copy**

Scream All Night was the perfect late night read- a story of a haunted boy who returns to the studio that made him. From the screamingly funny/awful scene he encounters when he returns through his travails as a budding studio head, the book was thoroughly unpredictable and mordantly funny. I would compare it to other titles, but it is such an original story I can't think of any. Though there are hilarious scenes (and a truly groan-inducing script/ play-wit
Melinda Beatty
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the most original contemporary YA concepts I’ve encountered in ages. The prodigal son of a family horror dynasty comes back for the funeral of his father...who’s not actually dead yet. For there, the novel tackles tough questions about family, loyalty, mental illness and whether or not we can ever truly escape our pasts.
Susan Mesler-Evans
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
NOTE: This book has not yet been released. I was given a free Advance Reading Copy by HarperCollins and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This book will be released on July 24, 2018. If you would like to send me an ARC, please see this page.

Even though I don't watch horror regularly -- I'm too easily freaked out by jumpscares -- I have always had a soft spot for Hammer horror films. And, as you can probably guess from that summary, this book was heavily inspired by the schlocky horror
HopelessBookAddic...: Scream All Night 1 8 Oct 04, 2018 03:07PM
  • Here There Are Monsters
  • Children of the River Ghost
  • Teeth in the Mist
  • Campfire
  • The Devils You Know
  • You May Now Kill the Bride (Return to Fear Street, #1)
  • The Wonderful Adventures of Geoffrey Scrutinous (Skulduggery Pleasant, #5.5)
  • The Truth Lies Here
  • Your Destination Is on the Left
  • Camp So-and-So
  • Devils Unto Dust
  • Free Spirit: Growing Up On the Road and Off the Grid
  • Trigger
  • The Midnights
  • The Haunted
  • Contagion (Contagion, #1)
  • Madame Blavatsky: The Mother of Modern Spirituality
  • Deadfall
Derek Milman was born in New York City, but grew up in Westchester, NY, where he wrote and published a successful underground humor magazine that caught the attention of the New York Times, who wrote a profile on him at the age of 14.

Derek studied English, Creative Writing, and Theater at Northwestern University. He began his career as a playwright (his first play was staged in New York City when
“The sun is up now, revealing all of us for what we really are.
And it's fucking blinding.”
4 likes
“The spiders will always hatch out of the flowers. But now I like to think about the moments before, when they're just flowers, blooming, and they can be pinched closed, so all that prettiness last a little longer before the inevitable horror comes.” 2 likes