Start by marking “M.F.K.: Book One” as Want to Read:
M.F.K.: Book One

M.F.K.: Book One

A fantastic adventure following the story of Abbie, a deaf girl with a mysterious power, who is traveling across a vast desert to scatter her mother's ashes.

In a world of sleeping gods, a broken government, and a fragile peace held in the hands of the corrupt, one youth must find the strength to stand up against evil and save humanity.

This story is not about that youth.

Its
Published September 26th 2017 by Insight Comics

To ask other readers questions about M.F.K., please sign up.
V. R. Not yet. The author is keeping it a secret so far. See this interview: http://www.comicosity.com/interview-n... and the comments under this page: …moreNot yet. The author is keeping it a secret so far. See this interview: http://www.comicosity.com/interview-n... and the comments under this page: http://www.mfkcomic.com/comic/chapter...(less)

Start your review of M.F.K.: Book One
Heidi The Reader
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
M.F.K. is an enigmatic, fantasy graphic novel about a girl from the desert, a boy from a beleaguered town and a journey to deliver an urn filled with ashes.

The Goodreads description of this book gave far more plot line than the book itself managed to deliver.

But, I feel this read was elevated by the beautiful, full-page, colorful artwork and the promise of a better storyline to come.

Jaime's parents left him with relatives when he was only a child. But don't pity him: "Sometimes I dream about
Calista
Wow, this was intriguing. It was compelling while revealing very little. I simply want to know more and to know more about this world. I feel like this was simply the opening 5 minutes or pages of the story and we just set out on adventure when the book ended. It's like, what - I want more.

We are in some desert community in some world. There are certain people with powers and these villagers do not have that. A boy and grandfather find a girl traveling in the desert alone and bring her home to
Raina
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, graphicnovel, feminist
Holy crap please please please finish this story, Nilah Magruder.

I loved the themes and concept and want to know more about this world.
Thank you for addressing systemic oppression and broken systems and changing the world.
I loved the protagonist/cast, particularly that a hearing aid features in the plot.

The production on the book is fantastic - fully 8.5x11 pages, beautiful full color, hardcover.

The illustration style does shift periodically, I suspect because it was a webcomic (see pages
La Coccinelle
That synopsis has got to be one of the most misleading I've ever read. It's not a fantastic adventure. I don't think I'd even call it an adventure. It was a confused mishmash that I couldn't wait to finish.

First, the art. Let's start with the cover. It's also misleading. That's a scene that must take place long before the story begins, because when we meet Abbie, her moa (the birdlike creature) is almost dead. We don't know what happened. Abbie's wounded, and it's never explained how. From
Bogi Takács
I read this originally as a webcomic and praised it highly - I was very pleased to see it published in book format.

Diverse secondary world fantasy? I cannot have enough diverse secondary world fantasy, and this story hits upon many of my other interests too.

M.F.K. is about two young people, one of them a mysterious traveler who stumbles upon a desert village, and the other living in said village. I lik that it does not turn into the very obvious Generic Romance Arc and instead it offers a
Evan Yang
This is such a great, short graphic novel!
Rod Brown
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
The richly colored art steals the show here. The story is simple enough, but has hints of an intriguing world to be explored and an epic tale to be told.

It seems this is just a prologue or introduction to a longer work being produced as a webcomic, and I wish the publisher had set expectations by labeling this as a first book or volume in a series. I feel tricked when a book just ends with lots of stuff dangling, and I have to investigate to find that I don't have the full story yet.
Rebekah
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Ah! It's over and we were just getting started! Can't wait to read book two!
Rossy
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
IT is about a girl who is like an amazon woman. In the book, there are a lot of swearing words but it is really interesting to read
cynthia ✨
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OML I loved the artwork and the characters were so lovable :DDD
Dolly
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who enjoy reading graphic novels
Despite the gorgeous illustrations, I had trouble engaging with this story. It irritated me in several ways, but I didn't hate it.

It's a bit too cutesy for my taste; the humor, the anime-style reactions, and the dialogue is either too juvenile or too much like what I would expect to see in a Disney animated movie. Something was off.

Nevertheless, the plot was interesting and our oldest really liked it, so I'm sure we'll press on with the next volume, borrowing it from our local library if it is
Grant
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Cute low-fantasy story about outcasts and social constructs.
Clan and pleasing art style with a standard story.
If you are looking for a quick read with a decent plot: read this book.
Calley Odum
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A bit rushed -- the story had a lot to say, so some of the arcs came a bit too fast, when I would have loved to spend more time with the characters and little town of Marigold.

But OooooOOoh man... this story had A LOT to say!
Themes? Beautiful.
Art? Beautiful.
Mysterious plot? Beautiful.
Friendship arc that doesn't end in love or sex? Beautiful.

And BEST of all, a graphic novel with a deaf, non-white, female main character! I only wish I'd discovered Macgruder's creations sooner!

I'm definitely
Oriana
Mar 20, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: books-with-pix
From the AV Club's list of 10 female cartoonists to know:

The artistic powerhouse you probably havent heard of, Nilah Magruder works in animation for Disney, is a highly successful childrens book author, and a great cartoonist. Winner of the 2015 Dwayne McDuffie Award for her (soon to be in-print) fantasy-adventure comic, MFK, last year Magruder also became the first black woman to write for Marvel with A Year Of Marvels: September Infinite Comic.
Kelsey
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting start to a YA graphic novel I wasn't originally aware would be a series. Pros: hearing-impaired protagonist, POC protagonist, interesting fantasy elements.
Cons: stereotypical good guy vs bad guy tropes, no sign of a book two in the near future as the webcomic has been stalled since July 2017...
Julia
Feb 19, 2019 added it
Lindsay
I wasn't totally wowed by this first volume, but I'd be interested to see where it goes... Seems like it ended right as it started to get interesting.
R.B. Lemberg
I'm not rating this one bc I read it while recovering from a concussion, so my opinion is suspect. I love Nilah Magruder's work. This was a first volume, and I have various issues with it, but at the same time I very much enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next.
Becky
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This was a fun start, I look forward to something a little... meatier, I suppose.
Sarah Schanze
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've been following this as a webcomic for years and I'm so glad it got the print run it deserves. Of course I love it and the characters, and the artwork is always endearing and appealing. I can't wait to see how the story turns out! Hopefully over several volumes. :D
Kathleen
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Feels like a Wild West type setting, without most of the typical trappings (guns, horses, carriages.) An interesting world!
Amy!
I NEED MORE.

This book is basically all exposition, and I just wanted to keep reading and finding out what was going on and where the story was going to go.
Adriana
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
the theme of this comic is that sometimes in order to be happy you have to do your own thing. Jamie wasn't liking his life so when Abbie was forced to leave, Jamie went with her because Jamie felt nice around Abbie.
Summer
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was okay. The story moved very slowly and I prefer more action. The art was pretty though, particularly in the second half of the book.
Claire
I'm so delighted that M. F. K. has made its way from web to print so I can reread and add it here! Plus the edition is gorgeously made: rich colors, heavy paper, a nice big trim size. I love the lush art of this comic, and I'm so glad that the print edition does it justice.

Librarians, heads-up - we've got a cliffhanger at the end of book one. Chapter Four (which picks up where this leaves off) is still online at http://www.mfkcomic.com/, but the story as a whole is on hiatus for a little while.
LG (A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions)
A tweet from Magruder saying that "it's asexual AF" put this on my radar. I took this to mean that there was an explicitly identified asexual character. Um... If there is, then it's not in this volume. I haven't read the webcomic, which includes a fourth chapter that wasn't published in this book, so maybe it's in that chapter? That said, those looking for romance-free graphic novels may want to check this out. (I sincerely hope that Magruder didn't think "romance-free" and "asexual" are the ...more
Emmi Rose  (emmirosereads)
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-stars
Okay this was my first ever graphic novel reading experience and oh my gosh, I loved it and this book! I like desperately want more now. 😭 I absolutely loved the art style, the characters, the story, just everything!
Maggie Gordon
Dec 20, 2017 rated it liked it
MFK has an interesting concept. The world is split into those with powers and those without, resources are scarce, life is hard, and but a little town in the desert tries as hard as it can to survive. Then Abbie, our protagonist shows up. She's a person with powers and she intervenes when others like her attack the town. But she doesn't want to stay and the village knows that she will always bring trouble, so she leaves with a new friend in tow. Simple, but not very satisfying yet. I hate the ...more
Dakota Morgan
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Nilah Magruder puts together a beautiful, interesting world in M.F.K., but the story is far too light to support the world-building. Abbie, a deaf girl, takes uncomfortable refuge in a desert city that is plagued by desperadoes who exact frequent payments from the residents. There's far more going on here - magic and politics and family relationships. But the simple story of Abbie is just that - simple. I understand that this is Book One, but Magruder doesn't leave me feeling confident that Book ...more
Sandra
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I thought how to find a fox was absolutely adorable, this one I'm not sure on.

Some interesting ideas and world sketched out, more like an introduction leading to something then a complete volume on its own. Perhaps a more accurate blurb would help? The one on the back was barely related to the story we got at all and made me keep looking at the arc to see f it was perhaps a partial copy.

(Also, perhaps more because I don't really read much manga, the different style used in portraying characters
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Shattered Warrior
  • Taproot
  • Archival Quality
  • The Dam Keeper (Dam Keeper, #1)
  • Afar
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Hicotea (Nightlights #2)
  • As the Crow Flies
  • Princeless, Vol. 6: Make Yourself Part 2
  • The Red Maze
  • The Witch Boy (The Witch Boy, #1)
  • The Dam Keeper: Return from the Shadows (Dam Keeper, #3)
  • Ladycastle
  • The Chancellor and the Citadel
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • Island Book
  • Pashmina
  • The City on the Other Side
Nilah Magruder is the author of M.F.K., a middle-grade graphic novel and winner of the Dwayne McDuffie Award for Diversity, and How to Find a Fox, a picture book. She has published short stories in Fireside Magazine and the anthology All Out: The No-Longer-Secret Stories of Queer Teens throughout the Ages. Nilah has also written for Marvel Comics, illustrated childrens books for Disney-Hyperion, ...more