Start by marking “This Changes Everything: How the Gospel Transforms the Teen Years” as Want to Read:
This Changes Everything: How the Gospel Transforms the Teen Years

This Changes Everything: How the Gospel Transforms the Teen Years

The teen years have been hijacked—by fashion, music, movies, and games; by the pressures of school, peers, and society; and by superficial expectations set by the world. But there is something more glorious than all these influences that has the power to change the life of a teenager: the gospel. Writtenby a teenager for teenagers, This Changes Everything is a deeply theol ...more
Audio CD
Published April 30th 2017 by christianaudio (first published March 2017)

To ask other readers questions about This Changes Everything, please sign up.

JonathanT
Read this review on my blog!

What's the big deal?

I know the majority of my followers are probably Christians. You probably already know what the Gospel means and what it's all about. But I'm not going to assume anything- because I might have followers that aren't Christian. I might have people that are wondering "What's the big deal about this whole Gospel thing, anyways?"

First of all, this book is absolutely right: the Gospel does transform us. It takes our sin and exchanges that out for Christ'
Audrey Caylin
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was on my shelf forever, and I wish I'd picked it up much sooner! I had high expectations, and This Changes Everything most definitely rose to meet them!

WHAT I LOVED
- the readability. Literally. It was so easy to read and understand. Never did I find myself asking "what did Jaquelle mean by that?" Everything was explained clearly, and in a conversational manner that I loved, at that.
- the action steps. Do not expect to just read this book; expect to act upon what you read. Jaquell give
Micaiah Saldaña
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Overall Rating: Four Stars
I’ve heard so many good things about this book. Once I found it at a Christian bookstore, I couldn't help but buy it straight away. Here are my thoughts on this impressive little book. =)

What I Loved...
The challenge it presented the reader. It simply can't be possible for one to read this book and not be challenged in some way. Each chapter led to deep questions and a hard look at one's life. The Gospel really does change everything. The question this book asks is will
Jane
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the sort of book that I want to own 5 copies of so I can hand them out left and right. So. Good.

This Changes Everything is inspiring, encouraging, and it has such a broad audience. There's books out there directed to public schooled teens, others to home school teens, et cetera. But Jaquelle has artfully made this book apply to literally any Christian teen at any stage of their Christian walk.

There's some great reminders in here of what it is to live all for Jesus' glory, and some amazin
ashley nicole
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Jaquelle does an amazing job showing how the gospel should influence every area of our lives... from our identity to our relationships and more. As a teen writing to fellow teens, she is very relatable and personable. She keeps the gospel at the center of every chapter and constantly reminds that we don't change simply because we are following rules but because we love God and desire to follow and honor Him in everything we do. This book is a call to teenagers who are willing to go against the f ...more
Anne Rhys
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. I finished it about 5 minutes ago, and am still processing it. Definitely, a must read for teens, right up there with Do Hard Things.
I am so looking forward to reading it again, more in depth, sharing it with friends etc,. I received a free digital copy from Crossway in exchange for an honest review.
Grace
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any Christian needing a basic, practical guide to Christian living; especially teenagers, of course
Oh my goodness was this book worth the wait!

I'd been looking forward to it for so long and ordered it the day it came out. It didn't disappoint.

The book is divided into several chapters with pretty general titles, but each chapter is full of practical, specific guidance for what a Christian life looks like as a teen (and really, for anyone, although some things obviously won't apply as much to adults). It's practical but not overwhelming, and not skimpy on the truth in favor of "life tips". Th
Gabrielle
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This Changes Everything: How the Gospel Transforms the Teen Years is such a great read, and extremely timely for this generation of young people who long to honor God with their lives NOW, in every area of their lives. Jaquelle writes in such a way that you can understand and relate, whether she's touching on the importance of spiritual growth, or ways to guard against sin and cultivate holiness and godliness, it's almost as if she takes the hand of her readers and not only shares how the g ...more
Katherine Forster
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The premise of this book is the gospel, and Jaquelle does an awesome job of keeping it front and center. So many books are centered around "doing" - five steps to this or seven strategies for that. Jaquelle goes to the heart of the matter: how the gospel changes us from the inside out.

The writing style was excellent. It's informal and personable, without being dumbed down at all. Jaquelle shares personal stories and observations (some of which can be quite humorous!), all within a framework of d
Eliza Downer
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book contains the much needed encouragement and conviction for our generation. Jaquelle weaves her words with grace as she presents the truth that will change any ones life. I received a free copy of this book from Crossway in exchange for an honest review.
Gray Cox
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: helpful, good
Jaquelle is an amazing and an inspiring teen author. This book is lovely, she writes with grace and power.
Clare Farrelly
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really great book, with lots of good points. I recommend it to any teen christian who wants to really live a faithful changed and godly life. I don't fit into that category anymore but it was good to be reminded about everyday christian living by this book. It is well through out, simple and easy to read. It would make a good gift for any young christian.
Sharon
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I was hesitant to read this book because of the title, but here I sit, a 36 year old woman encouraged and convicted by this great read! Teenager or not, READ THIS BOOK! She explains the gospel beautifully and our identity in Christ... that’s just the beginning... I won’t spoil it for you!
Essie-Marie W.
Wow. This book was so good. It was convicting, clear, and absolutely awesome. I'd recommend it to ANY Christian teen, regardless of their age or maturity level. Just read this book!! Also, Jaquelle, you did a PHENOMENAL job. So proud to know you through YWW!
Gaye Clark
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wisdom beyond her years and worth reading even for those who aren't teens.
Laurent Dv
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really impressed that a young adult (furthermore a girl) wrote a book so centred on the Gospel and with as much references to a orthodox christian tradition (shequote a lot of good christians : Bavinck, Grudem, Luther ...). I found it really accessible to everyone, and very practical. It's short and people can read it quickly (I read it within 1 day).

PS : I had the priviledge to get it for free and read it before, I thank the publisher house that allowed that.
Camden
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I first looked over This Changes Everything, it seemed pretty simple. This was a book that was going to share some thoughts on how the gospel changes the way we look at our identity, community, sin, time, etc. It seemed simple enough—but would it really be substantive?

As I quickly learned, Jaquelle is a master at combining both clarity and depth. Each chapter is simply laid out, but inside each simple chapter are deep insights into how the gospel transforms our lives.

I especially enjoyed a
Amanda Cunningham
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You don't find many books about theology these days that are written for teens, but this is one of the few. Jaquelle has written a powerful piece, diving into eight aspects of a life transformed by the gospel: our identity, our story, our community, our sin, our disciplines, our growth, our time, and our relationships.

The chapters are concise and easy to read, and there are thought-provoking questions at the end of each chapter for personal reflection or group discussion. Written by a teen for t
Meredith
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Technically I'm taking a break from the internet for a few weeks, but I'm bending my own rules a bit to write a review of This Changes Everything before it's officially released tomorrow.

This Changes Everything explains why and how the gospel reaches into every corner of weekly and daily living.

It was pretty amazing. Not only did it echo many of my own feelings about the teen years, but it introduced new ideas-- challenging, scary, but good ideas.

I needed a practical, thoughtful, honest guide
Kira Quintin
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! Jaquelle is very straightforward and writes simply. I don't feel that it's because she thinks teens need these things simplified though. She states great encouraging truths in a way that anyone can understand. I highly recommend this book to every person that wants to live a God-centered life - not just teenagers. These truths apply to every believer. I really appreciate the timing of this book too, because God has been laying these things on my heart over the last ...more
Alexa
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book… is… amazing. It begins with an introduction that’s super relatable, making me feel like Jaquelle and I could just sit in a small group and chat about God and life and basically be best friends (I mean, she likes dark chocolate, people. I love dark chocolate). But it’s not long before we get into the deep stuff—and the deep stuff is really good.

There is so much wisdom packed into this 160-page book. It has short, bite-sized chapters, but they’re so chock full of food for the soul that
Karis
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was handed a hard copy of This Changes Everything at the end of a wonderful youth retreat, so I was very eager to jump into it. However, I was not expecting to read something that would challenge me so much. I would certainly recommend it to any Christian teen who wants to be actively pursuing godliness. My copy is quite underlined, and I know I’ll be turning back to it for re-reads and to continue challenging myself in my walk to become more like Christ. This author writes with a maturity tha ...more
Jessica
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW! This book changes everything! Jaquelle is such a wonderful, straightforward author who tells it like it is and challenges the status quo of Christian teenagers. I couldn't put this book down and I want to purchase a copy for every teenager I know! By the time you finish her book you have soaked up the simple yet profound Gospel of Jesus Christ like you have never heard it before. Although this book is written by a teenager for teenagers, EVERY person in the Christian church today needs to r ...more
Ivan
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The highest praise I can give this book is that I want to raise my daughter, though admittedly her own person, to be like Jaquelle. I'm still amazed that a teenager wrote this book, and I pray the Lord raises many more young people like her—hungry to learn, eager to please Christ, and make much of him in our generation.
Wesley Rea
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book came straight out of nowhere; yet, it will probably be one of my favorite books this year.

From the beginning, the author states clearly about the important role of teen Christians in the church. Too many books today seem to downplay the importance of youth ministry or put down teens altogether. Not so much with this book. There is certainly rebuke in some areas (as we need in all walks of life), but the positive attitude presented towards teenagers in the church is very refreshing
NinaB
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We read this as a family and quite enjoyed it. It’s like a simplified version of Donald Whitney’s Spiritual Disciplines For the Christian Life. At the end of each chapter is a list of questions that spurred really good conversations with and more questions from our kids. The author’s points are clear and relatable. Most important of all, she is biblical. She also includes apps, websites and other practical info that are helpful for our sanctification.

Our girls are teens/tweens and it’s clear the
Josiah
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-living
Finally got around to reading this book. I've more-or-less moved past my teenage years, so not all aspects of the book are still relevant. That being said, this is the sort of book I would have found very helpful toward the beginning of my teenage years. Crowe does a really good job of connecting with her readers using some pretty apt analogies. I particularly liked the analogy of a lukewarm relationship with Christ being as meaningful as your relationship with Facebook friends you don't actuall ...more
Justin Dixon
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For any teenager who wants to know how the Gospel “transforms the teen years,” this is the book. Jaquelle Crowe doesn’t go into deep theological debates, but she gives solid truths and practical advice. From spiritual disciplines to relationships to time management, the author argues how the Gospel (if it is truly accepted) will reshape ever aspect of your life. You cannot have a relationship with Christ without change; that change is not required for the relationship, but it is an inevitable ou ...more
Bill
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-life
Fantastic book - can't recommend it enough. Get a copy for your teenagers!
Hannah
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really good. Gave me things to think about and apply to my own life.
Post Book Outcomes 1 4 Mar 30, 2017 05:48PM
Jaquelle Crowe (BA, Thomas Edison State University) is a young writer from eastern Canada. She’s the co-founder of The Young Writer's Workshop and a contributor to The Gospel Coalition, desiringGod.org, and Unlocking the Bible. Her first book is This Changes Everything: How the Gospel Transforms the Teen Years.
“If you're a Jesus follower, it means you're there to love your church, to serve it, to worship with it, and to be accountable to it.... Age doesn't divide. We are all the church.” 4 likes
“Our youth is by God's grace, in God's hands, and for God's fame.” 3 likes