Start by marking “What You Don't Know” as Want to Read:
What You Don't Know

What You Don't Know

A crime like this isn't only about the killer. There are others to consider . . .

Seven years ago, Detective Paul Hoskins and his larger-than-life partner solved one of the biggest serial killer cases of the decade. They dug up 33 bodies in a crawlspace belonging to the beloved Jacky Seever, a pillar of the community and a successful businessman. Sammie Peterson was the lea
Published February 9th 2017 by Mantle (first published February 7th 2017)

Those are just a few, because a crime like this has a wide reach, and you can never know how many are actually affected. That’s how things like this are - a drop in still water that starts a ripple, and it spreads in every direction, going on and on, probably into infinity, never flatlining but starting other ripples that head in completely new directions. Sooner or later, the original ripple will slow, it will lose much of its urgency, but it’s still there.
It’ll never be over.

Jacky Seever mur
Rachel Hall
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This masterful debut novel focusing on the aftermath of a serial killers impact on a community and those affected by the horrors starts where most novels wrap-up; with the predator being caught, incarcerated and with thirteen-months remaining until he winds up on death row. In an original exploration of the ripple effects of one man’s atrocities on those whose lives he touched, this highly atmospheric and intense character study evokes a visceral sensation of fear with its brooding narrative. Wi ...more
Susan
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This debut novel begins in 2008, when Detective Ralph Loren and Detective Paul Hoskins, arrest a man named Jacky Seever. Seever runs a string of restaurants, is a volunteer at the local hospital, a respected businessman and member of the community, a man who likes to dress up as a clown and amuse local children, a husband to wife Gloria and a man who has over thirty bodies buried below the crawl space of his house… Of course, the murderer is based upon John Wayne Gacy, but this novel then moves ...more
Liz Barnsley
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
What You Don’t Know is a gorgeously atmospheric character driven tale about what happens to a small eclectic bunch of people in the aftermath of the capture of a serial killer…and what happens when they get sucked back in.

I loved it, a serial killer chiller with a real difference – we come into it knowing who and what, then follow along with one of the detectives responsible for the capture of Jacky Seever, the reporter who was his lover and the wife who claims to have known nothing. The fallout
Warrengent
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ng
Download this to my kindle,and read in two sittings,I loved the characters,especially Hoskins,and Loren which have a great sense of humour under the circumstances of there investigation, which is so dark and definitely in need of actions not words are utterly,believable and brilliantly written.
Thanks a million everyone at NG,Joann Chaney and publishers would highly recommend this stunning novel to everyone.
Patricia
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a brilliant read! I can hardly believe this is the first novel for writer Joannn Chaney. WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW pulled me in immediately. When a team of detectives finally put away a particularly vicious serial killer, people the killer was in contact with suffer from serious emotional and psychological problems. Years later a copy cat killer is on the scene. I highly recommend this novel.
Book Riot Community
Crisp, dark, brutal and worth every nightmare it gave me. Chaney’s serial killer is chilling, her characters are humanly flawed, and her story is intense which creates the perfect recipe for a page-turner. The novel changes point of view at first between three characters (a journalist willing to do anything to get back the career she’s lost; the oddest pairing of detectives; and the serial killer’s wife who can’t escape her husband’s crimes) before later adding more as the story unfolds—with the ...more
Annie ~ The Misstery
www.themisstery.com >> What You Don’t Know by JoAnn Chaney was an exceptionally well-written novel that focused on what happens to those who are connected to a crime. What a fascinating theme! We’re used to stories where we know all the details about murders although the story finishes when the bad guy is caught. But what happens next?

In What You Don’t Know, we have a creepy villain who has killed more than thirty women and stored them in a crawl space. So there’s Seever, his wife Gloria
Lavender
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
3,5 stars

„What you don’t know“ starts at a point where other books are ending. The killer is arrested and is in prison for 7 years now. We learn in flashbacks how this happened.

This book tells its crime story from a new perspective. It’s a character study of the people Seever left behind.

Jacky Seever killed 31 people and buried them in his crawl space. He seemed to be a nice and normal guy but he was capable of unbelievable cruelness.

The two detectives who caught Seever and questioned him afterw
Skip
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Very unusual story: a charismatic serial killer is caught, with the assistance of a female victim who escaped. While awaiting execution in jail seven years later, the signature killings start anew. Author Chaney does a good job of setting up candidates for the copycat: the detectives, the wife, the newspaper reporter, the escaped victim, etc. Sadly, the ending was meh.
Pat
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars and a very unique read.

This book opens with a house search and the finding of bodies in the basement. I'm not giving away any major reveal in the book because within the first ten pages of the book (free sample size) you know there is a serial killer and you know who the serial killer is. That is not the storyline of the book.

The storyline becomes the characters involved in the investigation. Loren and Hoskins are the investigating detectives. Gloria is the wife of the killer. Sammie is
S J
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The characters in this book are so real and some so thoroughly creepy that it had me looking over my shoulder for days after I finished reading. They were characters whose darker impulses often got in the way of their more valiant motivations, which made them very intriguing.

As one character notes “Desperation is not a pretty thing. It’s the burlap sack of emotions – no one looks good wearing it.” Each character is fighting in his or her own way, not just to outrun, but to confront the evil tha
Jessica Woodbury
I love dark crime novels. But there's something about the tone of this book that just landed wrong for me. It almost felt too "look at me and how DARK I am!" (This might have bothered me less in print, in audio, the narration really leaned into this and it probably made me more sensitive to it.)

With that said, it's a smart, well-structured book. It's set in that alternate universe of many crime novels where serial killers are a thing that exists on the regular, where reporters give them catchy n
Carol Hennion
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
This book certainly kept me guessing! Again, though, most of the characters are not very likeable, but the plot sort of makes up for that. It starts out with a murderer being caught - quite different than the usual mystery! There are several characters (the first murderer, the two detectives, the gorgeous reporter and the murderer's wife), and the chapters jump around among those characters.
Andy Weston
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just when I was becoming concerned about recent crime fiction, having read a few very average ones recently, Chaney has come up with something very refreshing, original and hugely enjoyable. And it's a first novel.

The success of 'What You Don't Know' centres around the reaction of the small town community to the capture of a major serial killer. The immediate aftermath takes place in the first few pages, but the feeling lingers throughout the novel, and Chaney's descriptions of the reaction of
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
This novel is dark, vulgar and utterly creepy! Written brilliantly.
The majority of the novel is spent 7 years after the discovery of 31 bodies on the property of Jacky. The novel moves around 3 central characters and their journeys when a copycat killer stalks anyone with a connection to the original crime.
Hoskins is the burnout cop, struggling to hold his life together.
Sammie is the ruthless reporter, willing to do anything for a story.
Gloria is the creepy wife of Jacky, as she stands by him
Andrienne
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling psychological novel about a group of people affected by the conviction of a serial killer and they can't move on. Meanwhile the murders resume even with the killer behind bars.
Il confine dei libri
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: letti
Salve lettori!
In questa recensione vi parlo di un thriller edito dalla casa editrice Piemme: "Le cose che non sai" di Joann Chaney.
Vi avverto, questo non è un thriller facile da leggere: bisogna avere una certa dimestichezza con il genere e, comunque, a volte risulterà psicologicamente pesante continuare la lettura.
Perché questo è un libro che si infiltra dentro la mente, mette radici nella nostra coscienza e non la molla neanche quando giriamo l'ultima pagina.
Da quando ho iniziato questo l
Sherri
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the most disturbing and f'd up book I've ever read. But the excellent writing, the depth of the character development, and the intensity of the story wowed me. This author has no fear. And I may never sleep again.
Renita D'Silva
Dark and scarily chilling.
3.5 rounded down

This is a solid police-procedural/thriller, and a promising debut novel from the author. It follows Detective Hoskins as he and his partner investigate a spate of what seem to be copycat killings, similar to those committed 7 years ago by serial killer Jacky Sheever.

Having read a few similar(ish) thrillers recently I found this one to be a bit slow going in comparison. It wasn't as if nothing was happening, as new characters and leads were gradually introduced, but it was like a
Donna
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Denver Detective Paul Hoskins and his partner Ralph Loren put serial killer Jacky Seever in prison seven years ago. Reporter Sammie Peterson's career was made because she was sleeping with Hoskins and had inside scoop on all the stories. Gloria is Jacky's wife, used to living the good life with plenty of money, and claimed she never suspected her husband of killing over 30 people and burying them in the crawl space in the basement. My, how the mighty have fallen.

Present day: Hoskins i
Jamie Canaves
This was chilling, brutal, exceptionally written, and it gave me nightmares–I loved every minute of it. (Let’s not think too hard on what that says about me.) Chaney has written flawed characters (as humans are) that are incredibly real and rather than pushing me to dislike them I found myself constantly wondering what I would do in their situation. The novel begins by alternating point of view between three of the main characters: a pair of detectives that could not be more different from each ...more
Carol Peace
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book begins 7 years after detective Paul Hoskins and his partner Detective Loren had discovered 33 bodies buried in a crawlspace under Jackie Seevers house. Seever is now in jail and while Loren is still a detective Hoskins is checking out cold cases. The aftermath still lingers with them it is very hard to put that amount of bodies behind them and they really must catch this killer before it gets out of hand. The reporter on the Seevers case thinks this could be her way back on to the pape ...more
Wendy
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this novel very crass, the language (and I understand the characters are cops/killers, maybe they all speak this way, I don't know) quite obscene in places. I liked the overall story but found myself skipping certain parts, especially near the end, just to get past the descriptive paragraphs. I'm not a prude but some of the situations I found very disturbing.
Laurel
I gave up 75% of the way through. I can take disgusting descriptions of murder if they're in the service of a good story. But I suddenly realized I didn't like any of the characters, nor did I care what happened to any of them. Life's too short.
John
Dec 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
They found 31 bodies* in the crawl space and back yard of serial killer Jacky Seever, who had savagely tortured and sexually abused his mainly female victims. Now, several years later, Seever's in jail, a matter of months away from his long-delayed execution, but it seems that his murders have started up again: the new victims are people who were involved, if sometimes only tangentially, in the original case, and each corpse bears a Seever trademark that only the cops are supposed to know about. ...more
Reethu Ravi
Story

A beloved businessman, Jacky Seever was loved by every one of the Denver community, until thirty-one bodies were discovered in the crawlspace of his house. Following his arrest, detective Paul Hoskins and Ralph Loren were praised for bringing down a notorious killer. Sammie Peterson, the lead reporter on the case finally got her big break. And Gloria, Seever's wife insisted on being in the dark.

Seven years have passed since the arrest of Jacky Seever, who is just a year away from facing exe
Jaclyn Day
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weird, fascinating characters and a willingness to go to darker places make this a better than usual choice in the watered-down psychological thriller genre.
Rachel
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid. Held my attention, good pacing, interesting characters, but I called the ending.
  • When You Find Me
  • Juli Bauer's Paleo Cookbook: Over 100 Gluten-Free Recipes to Help You Shine from Within
  • The Dime
  • How to Train a Cowboy
  • Part-Time Paleo: How to Go Paleo Without Going Crazy
  • At His Service (Playboys of Boston, #1)
  • Mail-Order Brides of Oak Grove: Surprise Bride for the Cowboy\Taming the Runaway Bride (Oak Grove #1-2)
  • Salt Lane
  • The Third Hell
  • The Crockin' Girls Slow Cookin' Companion: Yummy Recipes from Family, Friends, and Our Crockin' Community
  • A Vine in the Blood (Chief Inspector Mario Silva #5)
  • The Paris Secret
  • Summer Indiscretions (Summer Love, #2)
  • The Orchard at the Edge of Town (Apple Valley, #3)
  • The Big Book of Cupcakes
  • NK3
  • 365 Slow Cooker Suppers
  • Better With You Here
JoAnn Chaney is a Colorado-based writer. Her first novel, WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW, is out now. AS LONG AS YOU BOTH SHALL LIVE is to be released in January 2019.