Start by marking “The Financial Diet” as Want to Read:
The Financial Diet

The Financial Diet

How to get good with money, even if you have no idea where to start.

The Financial Diet is the personal finance book for people who don’t care about personal finance. Whether you’re in need of an overspending detox, buried under student debt, or just trying to figure out how to live on an entry-level salary, The Financial Diet gives you tools to make a budget, understan

Published September 26th 2017 by Regan Arts

To ask other readers questions about The Financial Diet, please sign up.
Camila Matamala I'm not from the US and I found many chapters very useful and practical. Unfortunately some chapters mention or dedicate quite some time to financial …moreI'm not from the US and I found many chapters very useful and practical. Unfortunately some chapters mention or dedicate quite some time to financial tools only available in the USA, such as saving programs or housing options. (less)

Start your review of The Financial Diet
Nov 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
I want to start this out by saying that I'm a big fan of the Financial Diet on YouTube. In the YouTube context, I find Chelsea and Lauren's voices to be relatable and refreshing. They create listicle-style videos on a variety of financial and lifestyle topics such as "12 side hustles you can do in bed." So I really wanted to like this book and was looking forward to reading this book.

However, I'm not sure that that this listicle-style approach translates well to a book, particularly a book that
Ayana R
Jan 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
I've been a longtime TFD reader and normally I'm actually a fan of Chelsea's writing. That being said, I was very disappointed in this book, and the positive reviews it has been getting in the media. One of my biggest frustrations as a woman who cares about personal finance is how difficult it is to find content that's geared towards women without being infantilizing. All too frequently, personal finance for women is dumbed down to books with pink covers, pretty fonts, and the most basic informa ...more
vanessa
This was beautifully designed and it did get me to start thinking about putting a budget together, automating payments, and starting to pay off my student loans. At first it even had me laughing along with the "I don't have my shit together, I'm such a mess" humor, but that style got repetitive and gimmicky after a while. I also thought some parts were more necessary and important than others (do people really need a book to tell them what kitchen supplies to buy? or staples every young woman sh ...more
Natalie K
Oct 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, finance
If this book were simply useless to me, I could have given it two stars. I know it's marketed towards young women who don't know much about money. And that's fine, because there are people who don't know much and everyone's got to start somewhere. I get that.

What made me give this book one star (i.e. the lowest rating allowed—I'd give it negative stars if I could!) was how some of the information was just plain wrong. Like criminally wrong. So wrong that if you followed it, other poor fellow unf
Celise
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Yikes, okay.

I like some of The Financial Diet's YouTube videos, but this book misses the mark.

To start off, I want to point out that this book has a few lines of good advice in it that are worth pulling out for future reference. However, I wouldn't recommend anyone to read it just for those tidbits, because I think the rest of the book is both useless and full of misinformation. I'll leave a few of my personal recommendations below for books that I feel are better starter personal finance books
steph
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Eh.

I enjoyed the pictures more than the content. It's geared towards millennial women so it is very Instagram and Pinterest worthy in regards to layout/color/pictures. It has a few good tips in it (for example Chelsea says to save in 3 different accounts - one emergency fund you can easily access, one investment fund that can be liquidated if needed and then a long investment fund all of which I personally agree with) but overall it talks down to the reader. And yes I understand this is a beginn
Amanda
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Worth it just for the discovery of The Woks of Life website for recipes right up my alley. Having already watched all of The Financial Diet’s YouTube videos, and reading Broke Millennial by Erin Lowry, there’s not a whole lot new in this book for me, but it was still really well done, cute, and easy to get through, and I definitely took more notes on things to change or look into for the future.
Karina
Rating: 4 Stars ★★★★
I've been following The Financial Diet Youtube for a year and they make really great and very informative videos about saving money/finance! Highly recommend it, so when I discovered they had a book, I just had to pick it up!

The Financial Diet is not only informative, but easily explores different elements to finance, offers advice for different areas of life (personal, career, home, relationships, budgeting etc.) for those who aren't exactly sure where to start.
I've been
Emily
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An extension of the finance blog of the same name, The Financial Diet is a beautifully designed guide to money for millenials. I really appreciate how both on the blog and in the book, there is an understanding that money is the underlying framework of our entire lives and so the book looks at how your relationship with money is connected to your career, personal style, diet, home, and many other aspects of your lifestyle.
Andrea Olsen
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Informative, but I wish some of the chapters had gone more in depth. Clearly geared at someone who has no idea what to do with money (i.e. first step: open a 401k) and not as much someone who has the initial bases covered and is looking to go to the next level (like investing).

BUT I really loved the chapters on careers and relationships, both had great advice. And I also appreciated their stance that being good with money isn't about depriving yourself, but about knowing where your money is goin
Chanda
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I liked the first part of this book, about making a budget and investing for retirement. I assumed the rest of the book would offer a deeper dive into those useful topics, but instead it gave pretty surface advice from a privileged standpoint. I skipped the part about Sex and the City, which seemed irrelevant. Overall, not a complete waste of time, but I skimmed most of it.
Krissy
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review...and here it is!

This book didn't "click" with me. This book was absolutely written with a Millennial reader in mind.

The first indication that this wasn't the book for me was when I read that the author, Chelsea Fagan, had a "tendency to blow thousands of dollars a month on eating out." My response? "Whoa, who has THOUSANDS of dollars A MONTH to spend on food?!"

The second indication that this wasn't
Lisa
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Before reading this, I had expected to finish this book being a lot more knowledgeable about finance and stuff. It didn't quite live up my expectations though. The quotes are cheesy and I feel like i'm reading a blog, not a book. I don't think this book was meant for college students like me, more for young adults out of school. Nonetheless, this book did a decent job of introducing me to some financial terms and things to keep in mind for the future. Also, back to the "this book is basically a ...more
Emily Dean
I heard about this book after discovering Chelsea on YouTube and watching some of her videos on finance. I had just finished reading "You are a Badass at Making Money" by Jen Sincero and I was looking for a more practical approach at managing my finances while I still had the positive energy flowing. What I wanted was a book with very specific resources for beginner's, budget examples and suggestions on how to begin changing spending habits. What I got was a cookbook, advice from wealthy "celebr ...more
Stefanie Sugia
"Saving money isn't about depriving yourself. It's about deciding you love Future You as much as you love Today You."
It's been a few months since I finished reading this book and life has been super hectic lately, that's why I'm writing this review 2 months late 😂. I'll try my best to write this review based on what I remember about this book. Since I'm now in my mid-20s, I'm slowly becoming more aware about my finances and wanted to get better at managing my money. To be honest, I used to b
Casey, with a book
My dad recommended this book to me after hearing it was a finance book aimed at millennial women and hearing an interview of Chelsea Fagan, probably on NPR.

Since working on my finances is a goal for me this year, i was eager to have a good beginners guide that was accessible and informative. I would say this delivered on inspiring me to learn more about finances, but it didn’t really have a lot of the information a handbook should have.

There were a few tips and tidbits that stood out to me, li
Christopher Lawson
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I Have Been Fired From A Dozen Jobs

In THE FINANCIAL DIET, author Chelsea Fagan provides a ton of practical ways to manage your money, as well as ideas on furthering your career. In the beginning pages, the author admits to her many foolish decisions as a kid. In particular, she laments this big mistake: “The day I turned eighteen, I acquired my little card full of free money, and maxed it out within a month and a half of delirious spending.”

I bet a lot of readers can identify with the foolhardy
Katelyn
Jun 28, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a solid book. I feel like it would be really good and useful for people my age (I’m 19), or really anyone ages 18-21. A lot of the information and tips in this book are pretty common sense it feels like, and I also feel that it lacked detail, and could’ve dived deeper into all the topics. However I did come away with a bit of new knowledge and I really enjoyed that it included tips from many different people, on more than just money. It includes budget friendly cooking tips, and even so ...more
Caroline Spence
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I appreciated the accessibility of the book to a complete novice in the financial field. Explanations were very well phrased and the numerous anecdotes and interviews provided a wide range of viewpoints and catered to the specific areas I was curious about while giving me an overview of financial aspects I had never considered.
As a millennial/ gen-z this book was a wonderful jumping off point for me and I would highly recommend it to other people with financial dreams but no concrete understandi
Gabie (OwlEyesReviews)
This is definitely helpful since I will be moving out of my Mom's house and into my first adult house soon.
Jenni Clark
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This would have been great to find when I was a teenager or in college. Pretty basic, but I liked how they did not present one universal plan for financial planning, it’s a personal thing.
Helly
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Three stars for the beneficial points, however, most of it is actually irrelevant if you are not from US
Patti
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help, business
A pretty great little book filled with interviews from financial experts and tips from Chelsea Fagan, the creator of one of my favorite YouTube channels that shares the name of this book. A great resource to have in my pocket for investing, and the perfect addition to their other media sites.
Meg
Jan 11, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2020
This is closer to 1.5 stars, if I'm feeling generous. I said in my first update that I've already got a love/hate thing with TFD and that as someone who already has savings, some investments and a mortgage I'm not exactly the target demographic.

But there's truly not much to be learned from this book – the chapter on investing was just explaining that it isn't all dudes on Wall Street making investments. And referring readers to the glossary for breaking down investment acronyms! One featured "ex
Carrie Templeton
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am a bit of a financial literacy nerd and I really appreciate the honest perspective of this quick read. With realistic and honest viewpoints and goals throughout, it is a great starting point for those who have no clue where to begin with personal finance.
Kay
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, audiobook
Rating: 2.5

I think I was expecting more financial info and less whatever this was. I'm thinking part of the issue is that I appear to be way older than her target audience which appears to be mid-twenties people. There were certainly some good nuggets of information or reminders of things to keep in mind, but for the most part, it came off as common sense info with topics that were all over the place.
Amanda
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
More of an inspirational book and lifestyle guide than a real how to manual, The Financial Diet is a cute, quick read with lovely illustrations. It is a good basic overview of financial terms and concepts that one should read more about at a later date. I did learn a thing here or there--there are spousal IRAs for SAHs? If my children get paying jobs before turning 18 they can get a Roth IRA specifically for children?! First I had heard of either, despite reading several books on financial topic ...more
Rachel
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m not sure this is a fair rating, so I shall explain the thinking behind it.

It turns out I’m not actually the ‘total beginner’ this book is aimed at, which is both a nice surprise and rather unfortunate, considering I had bought the book only to discover this. I am also a) unable to work long-term and b) British, so really I was setting ’The Financial Diet’ an impossible task to ~speak to me~, and must take some of the blame for us not quite hitting it off.

However, it ain’t all me. There was a
Stacia
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm not sure I can write a fair review.

Money's emotional, it's tied to security and so many other things... I had to really quickly skim the second half of it because it spun me into a panic attack. I actually talked about it with my therapist. It makes me feel like being depressed in my early twenties ruined everything and there's so much I need to consider and work on, it feels overwhelming and impossible. And that's not the book/author's fault!

That being said, I absolutely already recommended
Bethan Mills
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I am a massive fan of The Financial Diet's content in general, but found this book more limited in scope and less useful than I was expecting.

This book is a helpful introduction to managing your personal finances but it seems aimed at a very limited audience - young, female professionals in the private sector, living in cities in the USA, with student loans, no dependants, and affluent backgrounds. I found most of the chapters helpful but not specific enough - for example one chapter focuses on

• Broke Millennial: Stop Scraping by and Get Your Financial Life Together
  • Broke Millennial Takes on Investing: A Beginner's Guide to Leveling Up Your Money
  • Refinery29 Money Diaries: Everything You've Ever Wanted To Know About Your Finances... And Everyone Else's
  • Bad with Money: The Imperfect Art of Getting Your Financial Sh*t Together
  • You Need a Budget: The Proven System for Breaking the Paycheck to Paycheck Cycle, Getting Out of Debt, and Living the Life You Want
  • Millennial Money Makeover: Escape Debt, Save for Your Future, and Live the Rich Life Now
  • Clever Girl Finance: Ditch Debt, Save Money and Build Real Wealth
  • The Year of Less: How I Stopped Shopping, Gave Away My Belongings, and Discovered Life Is Worth More Than Anything You Can Buy in a Store
  • The Latte Factor: Why You Don't Have to Be Rich to Live Rich
  • Get Money: Live the Life You Want, Not Just the Life You Can Afford
  • Happy Go Money: Spend Smart, Save Right and Enjoy Life
  • Worry-Free Money: Stop budgeting, Start Living
  • Playing with FIRE (Financial Independence Retire Early): How Far Would You Go for Financial Freedom?
  • Meet the Frugalwoods: Achieving Financial Independence Through Simple Living
  • The 30-Day Money Cleanse: Take Control of Your Finances, Manage Your Spending, and De-Stress Your Money for Good
  • The Spender's Guide to Debt-Free Living: How a Spending Fast Helped Me Get from Broke to Badass in Record Time
  • The Everything Personal Finance in Your 20s  30s Book: Eliminate your debt, manage your money, and build for an exciting financial future
  • An Edited Life: Simple Steps to Streamlining Your Life, at Work and at Home
Chelsea Fagan is a lifestyle and financial advice blogger and writer living in Brooklyn, New York. She is best known as the co-founder of "The Financial Diet."

News & Interviews

“Saving money isn't about depriving yourself. It's about deciding you love Future You as much as you love Today You.” 4 likes
“Creating a home that makes you feel wonderful is a gift you give yourself that echoes through the rest of your life.
A bedroom you love is one in which you want to have an organized, well-cared-for wardrobe, which means less money spent replacing your battered items.
A happy, practical, smartly appointed kitchen is one you actually *want* to cook in, which means much less money spent eating out or ordering in.
A chic and comfortable living room means more entertaining at home and embracing the lost art of dinner parties (always cheaper than doing drinks and a restaurant dinner!).
Even a Zen, candle-filled, clean bathroom is one in which you want to spend time doing home spa treatments instead of feeling like you have to go somewhere expensive to feel beautiful.
If you create a home that is most attuned to your life and somewhere you really enjoy being, everything benefits.”
2 likes