Start by marking “Beyond the Wall: Personal Experiences with Autism and Asperger Syndrome” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Wall: Personal Experiences with Autism and Asperger Syndrome

Beyond the Wall: Personal Experiences with Autism and Asperger Syndrome

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  80 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
This honest, courageous book, written by a person with high-functioning autism and Asperger Syndrome, offers so much more than the traditional autobiography. Drawing on personal and professional experience, Stephen Shore, who is currently completing his doctoral degree in special education, combines three voices to create a touching and, at the same time, highly informativ ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 236 pages
Published September 4th 2013 by Autism Asperger Publishing Company (first published September 5th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Wall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Wall

Iona  Stewart
Apr 21, 2017 rated it liked it
The author has Asperger’s syndrome and the book describes his life, challenges, talents and successes.

The book is excellently written, but unfortunately I could only read about half of it; I found it too boring.

Stephen is gifted and, among other things, has a degree in music. He is married to a Chinese musician, who tells us that Stephen can hear much higher pitches than she can and turns the volume of the TV down so low that she almost can’t hear it. In other words he is extremely sensitive. He
Chelsea
Aug 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If you want to know what it is like inside the mind and life of an individual living with functioning Autism, read this book. It pin points so many of the daily struggles that these individuals have to face each and every day. The book is very matter of fact, of course written by a man with Aspergers Syndrome, and also uses memiors from people involved in every stage of his life. Non-fiction and very very real.
Margaret
Jul 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Some great information in this book...it is very enlightening to see it from someone's perspective who has an ASD. I started to lose interest in part of the book when he focuses more on music, which he is very focused on. But it was nice to see that someone with ASD can focus on something and do so well with it...and also use his experiences to help others with an ASD.
Sandee Clemons
Nov 02, 2008 rated it did not like it
This book was written by a person that suffers from aspergers. This should make it a MUST read, but unfortunately I had a family member read it and the first words out of their mouth was, "They're robots!" I've thanked my boss several times for giving me this book as a gift!!!! :(
Rebecca
Jul 15, 2012 rated it liked it
A good read, if in a bit of a confusing style, but the author wasn't out to impress anyone but rather explain & educate. I enjoyed the portions on music and autism.
Joanna
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought he provided a good picture. It was a pretty easy read. I had to read it for my Intro to autism class. Quite interesting.
Lisa