Start by marking “Chicken Scratch: Stories of Love, Risk & Poultry” as Want to Read:
Chicken Scratch: Stories of Love, Risk & Poultry

Chicken Scratch: Stories of Love, Risk & Poultry

When major life changes loom, people hunker down and cling to what they know. But not this author! As she prepares to send her youngest children to kindergarten in the fall, Kelly Chripczuk faces renewed questions about identity and vocation. Hoping to confront her questions head on - or perhaps avoid them altogether - she preemptively launches a surprising new adventure. ...more
Published October 31st 2016 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Chicken Scratch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken Scratch

Jessica
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this in digital format over several night nursing sessions with my 3 month old son. I follow Kelly's blog, A Field of Wildflowers, and found in Chicken Scratch everything I like about her posts there. Her writing is a gift of calm space in the midst of loud living and you don't have to love chickens or raise them in order to enjoy this small book.
Melanie Page
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review is now up at Grab the Lapels! Here is a brief sample:

It’s the chickens though, those talkative, escapee, messy birds that remind her that animals do what’s natural, and that she can take less-than-perfect scenarios and see the beauty in them. She learns, “I’ve never found a hidden nest by shaming a bird. I’ve never sat a chicken down and had a stern talk eye-to-eye.”
Kristina
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: saucon-library
Thoughtful and encouraging.
Michele Morin
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stop signs and flashing lights preside over busy intersections. Commas and semi-colons mark the collision of clauses. Wouldn’t it be lovely if there were some ready marker or built-in gulp of air at the major crossroads of life?

Kelly Chripczuk began living the transition from ten years in full-time mothering mode when her youngest children went off to school. “Who will I be,” she wondered, “in the face of so much open time and space?” Chicken Scratch: Stories of Love, Risk & Poultry is a thi
Lisa
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I have myself convinced I could take care of goats or chickens, especially when the price of eggs spikes or I'm enjoying some delicious goat cheese.

But the reality of taking care of such animals doesn't factor into these daydreams. Which is one of the reasons I absolutely loved reading this short book by Kelly Chripczuk, Chicken Scratch: Stories of Love, Risk and Poultry. The book follows Kelly and her family for their first few weeks of proud ownership of a flock of 10 laying hens. It
Dan
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great quick read about the lessons that can be found in everyday life mostly having to do with raising chickens. I would call this a collection of blog posts edited into a readable format, written by a Christian pastor, wife, and mother of four. Lots of wisdom from a mother hen.

Full disclosure: I know Kelly (the author) and her family personally and have had the pleasure of seeing in person the chicken tractor and chain link fence so often talked about throughout the book. I imagine it made t
Michelle Williams
Kelly Chripczuk gives us a gem in Chicken Scratch. The honest, genuine stories show a "simple life" is not quite that simple. Life gets messy and hard, but Kelly, her family and their adventures with chickens proves that Love shines through. Each chapter reveals something new and God has His way of delivering His message. I laughed out loud and cried through Kelly's wonderful telling of the brood and how it changed their life.
Deborah-Ruth
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the wonderful privilege of being one of Kelly's advanced readers. This book is absolutely brilliant in its simplicity, stunning in its straight-forwardness, and breath-taking in its ability to show day-to-day beauty. Filled with humour and grace, this is a book you won't soon forget.

For a more detailed review, please read: https://debdebbarak.wordpress.com/201...
Suzanne
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this collection. It reminds me of growing up on our farm, even though we didn't have chickens. The lessons of life and death, our longing to be gathered and brooded over, and finding the extraordinary nestled in the ordinary make frequent appearances in this treasure of a book.

And while reading, I, too, became very attached to the Polish chickens. I also love them with my whole heart.
Stephanie
Harmony Petty
Jun 12, 2018
Vicky
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Light reading. An intimate look into Ms. Chripczuk's life and thoughts. I love her perspective on mundane tasks or daily occurrences. Some good humor throughout. I also learned a lot about how to care for chickens! I definitely recommend.
Kamyee Ladas