Start by marking “Twilight (Twilight, #1)” as Want to Read:
Twilight (Twilight, #1)

Twilight (Twilight #1)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  3,949,338 Ratings  ·  95,281 Reviews
When Isabella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets the mysterious, alluring Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With his porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice, and supernatural gifts, Edward is both irresistible and impenetrable. Up until now, he has managed to keep his true identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 498 pages
Published November 1st 2008 by Little, Brown and Company (first published October 5th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Twilight, please sign up.

Elias Shouldn't be allowed to what? Live? That's really judgmental. Well, I don't like Twilight because I don't like the way that it demystifies vampires-…moreShouldn't be allowed to what? Live? That's really judgmental. Well, I don't like Twilight because I don't like the way that it demystifies vampires- they're supposed to be bloodthirsty, terrifying monsters, not pretty sparkly faeries!- and I can't stand the hugely anti-feminist messages. Also, I found Bella to be extremely annoying. But that's just me- don't kill me, please.(less)
Ally Neither Stephenie Meyer nor E.L. James should ever write anything ever again. Never ever. Ever. They're the exact same story (obviously, since FSoG is…moreNeither Stephenie Meyer nor E.L. James should ever write anything ever again. Never ever. Ever. They're the exact same story (obviously, since FSoG is based off Twilight) except one has sex and the other has vampires. They're both just absolutely awful, horrible, mind-numbingly painful examples of why not everyone who has access to a computer has talent to write a book.(less)

Feb 27, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one, not even my worst enemy
Steph Sinclair

Actual rating: 1.5 stars. Believe it or not, there are actually a few books that are worse than Twilight.

Ok, funny story. I was sitting on my couch with my husband last night finishing up Twilight. I slammed the book shut and began rubbing my temples. Then, my husband goes, "So you finally finished, huh?" "Yes. I can't believe I used to like this book," I said. "Hahaha! Yeah, I remember you were on Twilight's balls hard." Yeah, yeah, yeah...

There isn't a single book on my shelf that has fluctuat
James
Jul 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-fantasy
It turns out we don't need Dr. John Gray to tell us that men are from Transylvania and women are from Venus. We just need to read Stephenie Meyer books. For example, from this book we learn that the millions of women who have wolfed down the Twilight series (pun intended) want men who:

1. Talk about their feelings. Either Meyer's husband is the single-most communicative male on the planet and she doesn't realize how unusual he is, or she, like most of her female readers, is using her fiction to i
Nicola
Jun 07, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: morons
Shelves: fiction, teen
I really enjoy lively details. There's nothing better than knowing an author has really thought about her characters and situations, and come up with some surprising and delightful detail that makes the whole reading experience fuller. Lively details, you understand -- pointless details are a nightmare to read. I don't need to know that Bella ate a granola bar for breakfast. I REALLY DON'T. (Notice that I remembered the granola bar. I think this is partly because I was fervently hoping it would ...more
Clare
Apr 29, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008
I hate this book. I will probably end up reading the rest of them, because if I don't, people that love this thing will think they can convert me if I just keep reading. (ETA (Jan. 2013): Never even remotely bothered to finish the series.)

In short: the writing mechanics are atrocious. The dialogue is stilted and absolutely wretched. The characterization is bad-- loose, jumpy, and the progression is occasionally senseless. The main characters themselves are not compelling: selfish, shallow, lacki
brian
Dec 02, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
my name is bella. bella swan. here's what stephenie didn't tell you. it's super-duper-important.

on the morning after it rained, it was rainy outside and i frowned at it being so rainy all the time. i chuckled to myself, darn weather! i stared at the rain outside, which is where they usually keep the rain. there was never any rain in phoenix. i love phoenix. i hate rain.

i tripped over a large air pocket on my bedroom floor and bashed my skull into the corner of my bookcase, which had three shelv
Chris
Nov 21, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually had to give this book three separate reviews by three sides of my personality. My three-star rating is the median of the three:

Review 1, by My Inner Fifteen Year Old Girl (5 stars):
Bella is smart, funny, well-read, pretty and yet misunderstood by most of her peers (just like me). Then she meets a cool, hot guy who turns out to be a good vampire, and he can do really cool things, like run fast and stop cars with his hands, but he's still sweet and wonderful. It's ultimate wish-fulfillm
Jared Vincent Lacaran

Words need not be said.

© Anything Comic
Joe
Jan 15, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: idiots, people who enjoy bad dialogue
Save your time: here's the entirety of Twilight in 20 dialogue snippets & a wiggedy-wack intermission.

First 200 pages:
"I like you, Edward!"
"You shouldn't! I'm dangerous!"
"But I'm dangerous!"

Next 50 pages:
"I'm a vampire!"
"I like you, Edward!"
"But I'm a vampire! I'm dangerous!"

Next 100 pages:
"I like you, Edward!"
"You smell good, Bella. I'm dangerous!"
"Damn, you smell good."
"I like you, Edward!"
"Also, I glow in sunlight."

Next 50 pag
Trin
Jun 19, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, american-lit
Let me give you an idea of how much my opinion of this book changed at different stages of reading. When I was about a third of the way through, I was so into it that I immediately put my name on the library reservations list for the sequel, and wishlisted every edition on BookMooch. Now, having finished, I doubt I'll bother to read any further in the series. The opening is really quite interesting: Bella moves from sunny Arizona to rainy, gloomy Washington State to live with her father (her som ...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Sep 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shannon (Giraffe Days) by: Kiwiria
Oh my. This book, to me, is like chocolate: a delicious, sinful, addictive indulgence which you convince yourself has beneficial qualities (zinc, calcium, keeps me quiet at that time of the month...) in order to justify your addiction.

By "beneficial qualities", I mean that it's reading, and since when is reading bad? :) Let me say quite clearly that I'm a sucker for romance, especially the intense, passionate, tragic kind. I don't read romance novels*, though, because to me they are lacklustre -
Stephen
Twilight review intro

Welcome to Part II of the Vampire Compatibility Test (VCT). Before we continue, let's briefly racap Part I of the VCT. Your score in Part I should have given you a good idea of how critically you judge vampire fiction, placing you in either "Group A" or "Group B" based on overall points scored.

Group A:

A fairly harsh to extremely harsh critic that requires in a vampire story that it be: (a) well written or at least highly engaging prose; (b) tightly plotted with a well defined backstory that i
karen
spoiler alert: he's a vampire!!!

has anyone heard any press on this book yet?? i think that once the teens hear about it, the author will be quite successful. definite cinematic potential here.
................................................................................

pop - there goes my meyer cherry! and with it my integrity.

this, sadly, isn't one of those twilight reviews that is going to get a zillion votes. it isn't going to be particularly insightful or funny or anything like that. it i
Khanh (the meanie)
Call me crazy, but Twilight wasn't that bad. Well, sure, it's bad, but it's not 1-star bad. The sequels were atrocious, sure, but the first book wasn't the worst crap I've ever read.

What I suspect most of us hate about Twilight isn't the book itself, but the legion of rabid, terrifying fangirls. The ones debating on online forums about Team Edward vs. Team Jacob. The ones who will argue that Twilight is the best book ever written. The ones who camp out at Twilight movie premieres 1 month before
Zoë
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread in 2015!

I forgot how much I loved this book. No, it's not the best written book, but it is incredibly entertaining to read and it has so many wonderful memories attached to it. I probably won't reread the rest of the series anytime in the immediate future, but I hope to some day!
Mary
Jun 07, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one, not even my most hated enemy!
Recommended to Mary by: the Net
Twilight is lame and stupid.

I think everyone knows that the characters are essentially the ones who make up the book. It’s through them that the plot is developed, the conflicts are carried, the climax is revealed, stuff like that. And when you’re writing in a first person POV, you have to make that “first person” interesting and observant. Bella, our first person, is about as interesting as a rock.

Isabella is nothing more than a Mary Sue. It doesn’t even take a genius to figure out that ‘Bella
Matt
Jan 14, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love thomas kincaide and celine dion
there are so many problems with this book that i can't even begin to address them all. but i will say this, 'twilight' is probably one of the worst, if not THE worst, books i've ever read. the writing is amateurish at best [cliches, stereotypes, purple prose--how anyone can applaud meyer's prose is puzzling]; the editing--or lack thereof--is appalling [this is a 200 page novel, no more and probably less]; the grammar and syntax are unforgivably bad; the plot is onion-skin thin; and the character ...more
Jessica Edwards
Where do I start with this?
I don't know about you, but I was hyped when this book came out.
Anything involving Vampires or Wolves....I want to read it.
I read this again a couple of weeks ago and because I'm going to start reviewing more books (even though I'm not very good at it) I wanted to review this particular book more than any other book.
Twilight, I love you. I love the series. And the films. Enough said.
I don't know if it's because of the story or what, but this whole series will fore
Cait
Since this book has already been reviewed from hell to high water, I thought that I could treat you all to what this whole book (and small part of New Moon, as well) was in a simple little gif nutshell. Enjoy, all:

And that's pretty much it.
Annette
Apr 21, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Annette by: too many people to list
Ok... I know that I'm going to offend a lot of people with this review, but I feel that I have to be honest about this. There are quite a few things that bother me about this book, I will only list the top 5 here:

1) Bella - She is the exact character that I do NOT want my daughters to have as a role model. She is a sighing, swooning, fainting, weeping, weak female character straight out of the 19 century. This is the 21st century people! Do we want to raise a generation of namby pamby young wome
Manny
I got so tired of receiving Twilight questions on the Never-Ending Quiz that I went out and bought a copy. It's about as good as I had expected, but I have already managed to answer a few questions correctly.

An anecdote which I at least found amusing. Shortly after buying it, I was invited to an eighteenth birthday party (our next door neighbor's daughter). I had the following conversation with Cate:

"So I suppose you read the Twilight books?"

"No, what are they?"

"You know, those vampire books. I
Veronica PARENTAL GUIDANCE ALERT:  A Court of Mist and Fury is an EROTICA/NEW ADULT but most booktubers won't tell you
I'm tired of people ripping this book to pieces and secretely devouring it. I don't believe you for a second that you didn't enjoy it if you happened to have ratings and long rants about the following books.

Accept it! Stephanie Meyer kept you reading her very long books! And you are only complaining about stalking tendencies because YOU know this is fiction.

I DON'T WANT A GUY WATCHING ME SLEEP. In real life that's creepy.

BELLA COULD HAVE GOTTEN HERSELF KILLED MULTIPLES TIMES IF IT HADN'T BEEN F
Nataliya
Since, according to the news, the sun is about to set on the Twilight movie franchise (because this stuff is apparently news-worthy), I will take this opportunity to share my favorite Twilight-bashing resources with you, my friends.

But wait, you say! Shouldn't I take some time to actually *review* this book?
But dear friends, is there really a need for yet ANOTHER Twilight review? Because if you somehow still have no idea about this book series, I would love to borrow your tinfoil hat. I'm seri
Haleema
Beware of spoilers!

This review is more like a review of all the books.

You know, this is one book that I was aching to write a review on. I don't know now. You know those books that are just so horrible that you want to go on and on about how horrible they were, but you don't want to waste your precious time doing it? I'm in that situation. To review, or not to review? Hmm.

Oh, damn it. Fine! Well, it has been quite a long time since I read this book, but the dreadful memory of it plagues my mind
Mischenko
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is featured on this week's Throwback Thursday. You can see my full review @ https://readrantrockandroll.com/2017/...

I could read this book over and over again. After seeing mixed reviews on it and reading that many people complained about the writing and characters,  I bypassed it for awhile, but I had to read it. I'm a long time Anne Rice fan and LOVE vampire stories.

I fell in love with this book from the first chapter...

"In the Olympic Peninsula of northwest Washington State, a small
Julianna
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of PN Romance or Sweet Romances
Reviewed for THC Reviews
I have to admit that I haven't read a great deal of young adult literature during my adult life, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect from Twilight. There was also a great deal of hype surrounding this book, which can sometimes mean a really great book and other times can be a big letdown. Now that I have finally read Twilight, I have to say that it definitely lived up to the hype for me. I absolutely loved this tale of teen love between a human and a vampire. With this
Anne
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: jill joyce
description

I loved this book. There. I said it. In fact, I loved the whole series. What can I say? It was a totally unbelievable paranormal love story filled with way too much drama and teenage angst. And I loved it. Why?
The series reminds me of "fair food". You know, the food you buy when you go to a state fair or carnival? You know you shouldn't want to eat that stuff. And somewhere in your head there is a little voice telling you that it was prepared by someone who hasn't washed their hands in days, bu
Maggie
WHY? WHY did I allow myself to be a part of my life like I allowed the movies? The writing was awful, Bella was a mess and stupid, Edward is still the weirdo pale dude who freaks me out because of how he acted/acts around Bella, and the romance was the worst paranormal romance I've ever read about. To be honest, a review isn't even necessary. I'm sure everyone has heard of this series and how problematic it really is.

PRE REVIEW
This is also now a buddy read with like, my fav aussie out there, Am
Denys L.H.
Dec 23, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fluffy-loving idiots
Recommended to Denys L.H. by: an idiot
When you're looking for a novel that has no plot, no common sense, jibber-jabber about pointless love, how hot someone is, and the climax thrown together three-thirds of the book, Twilight takes the cake! I don't even know what made me "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with it in the first place! But then again, I was a hopeless romantic trying to find love, and I thought Twilight would cheer me up for my lovesick... ness...

Unfortunately, I was WRONG. When I first read the book, I was ad
Movie name Game!! 11094 3232 23 hours, 55 min ago
Cultural (Mis)Appropriation: Why Didn't She Use a Fictional Native American Tribe? 14 31 Sep 22, 2017 10:56PM
AP Language SHS: Samantha Smith Summer Reading 3 7 Sep 20, 2017 08:53PM
Do you think people were too hard on this book? 555 1112 Sep 19, 2017 05:04PM
A Book Nirvana: Twilight (September 2017 Read Along) 47 18 Sep 18, 2017 09:02AM
Twilight: Which is ur favorite book out of the series? 19 20 Sep 11, 2017 05:52AM
which TWILIGHT movie has the best sound track?...your vote 91 291 Sep 09, 2017 08:19AM
  • Chosen (House of Night, #3)
  • Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4)
  • Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2)
  • Wisdom (My Blood Approves, #4)
  • The Twilight Saga Breaking Dawn Part 1: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion (The Twilight Saga: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion, #4)
  • Bite Club (The Morganville Vampires, #10)
  • Hourglass (Evernight, #3)
  • The Wedding of Antanasia Jessica Packwood and Lucius Valeriu Vladescu (Jessica, #1.5)
  • Midnight Awakening (Midnight Breed, #3)
  • Dance with a Vampire (Vampire Kisses, #4)
  • A Fall of Water (Elemental Mysteries #4)
  • Sexiest Vampire Alive (Love at Stake, #11)
  • The Fury / Dark Reunion (The Vampire Diaries, #3-4)
  • Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3)
  • Twilight Director's Notebook : The Story of How We Made the Movie Based on the Novel by Stephenie Meyer
  • The Killing Dance (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #6)
I was born in Connecticut in 1973, during a brief blip in my family's otherwise western U.S. existence. We were settled in Phoenix by the time I was four, and I think of myself as a native. The unusual spelling of my name was a gift from my father, Stephen (+ ie = me). Though I have had my name spelled wrong on pretty much everything my entire life long, I must admit that it makes it easier to Goo ...more
More about Stephenie Meyer...

Twilight (4 books)
  • New Moon (Twilight, #2)
  • Eclipse (Twilight, #3)
  • Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4)

1005 trivia questions
54 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“I like the night. Without the dark, we'd never see the stars.” 9665 likes
“And so the lion fell in love with the lamb…" he murmured. I looked away, hiding my eyes as I thrilled to the word.
"What a stupid lamb," I sighed.
"What a sick, masochistic lion.”
8319 likes