Start by marking “The Power of Eight: Harnessing the Miraculous Energies of a Small Group to Heal Others, Your Life, and the World” as Want to Read:

This is a monumentally significant book, a once-in-a-generation work that will turn the tide in how we unleash the power of healing for each other and for the world. Drink in its meticulous and transparent scientific method, its countless uplifting stories of vivid healing breakthroughs and its breathtakingly luminous vision. Then go manifest The Power of Eight. James ...more
Published September 26th 2017 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Eight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Eight

Start your review of The Power of Eight: Harnessing the Miraculous Energies of a Small Group to Heal Others, Your Life, and the World
Elaine
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had previously read Lynne McTaggart's excellent book "The Field" (to which I had given 5 stars). The information presented in "The Power of Eight" is equally valuable and worth 5 stars in itself, but I am only giving the book a 4-star rating because I found this book more difficult to read than "The Field". The author went into a great deal of detail about how she went about setting up each of the experiments described in the book, how she came into contact with the people who assisted her in ...more
Kelly Ferreira
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book and what Lynn has started with these groups - can literally change the world. The things that my group (and others I'm acquainted with) has experienced in the short time that we've started our group is nothing short of amazing. Latest example is my 7 yr old nephew who has been suffering with intense headaches for months. After our group worked on him, my sister contacted me (not knowing we worked on him) to report that he hasn't been complained of pain and headaches out of the blue. ...more
Ariana deVries
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
A very interesting topic - erring on the side of hokey and mystical. I wasnt able to get through the whole book as it felt very repetitive and could have been written as an article. I know she was trying to back up her position and findings with scientific evidence, but it didnt seem to do much for me. I could have at least read the last chapter or two to see what her conclusions were, but the ideas just seemed too airy fairy. It was kind of like she was trying to confirm a personal bias.

Im
SeanT_C2
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book exposed me to another side of Noetic Science and the alternation of the world based emotions. Throughout the ages, small circles of people have held a significance in many cultures and among many indigenous groups. I never thought there could be a scientific reasoning behind all of this, but clearly that thought was debunked. One thing I found very interesting was how the author mentioned homothumadon, a greek compound word meaning "rush-along" and "unison". In the actions of ...more
Michael Kerr
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
As Shakespeare observed, "there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." This book is a fascinating exploration of the power of group intention. McTaggart goes to great lengths to establish scientific validity for the experiments she discusses. She enlists the help of a number of people in the scientific community and uses double-blind strategies to ensure no biases influences the results. Measurable differences in things like seed growth set the ...more
Inez
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
This topic interests me a great deal, but I wasnt interested as much in Lynnes journey of discovery. Just summarise the findings - thats what I want to know. I also feel like she dismisses discussion on the amount of people that didnt find it useful. What about all those people? ...more
Stefan Dziewanowski
Worth exploring

This book points along a trajectory that is worth exploring further, and I shall be. Lots to think about, and practice with. I shall be setting up an intention group to explore these ideas.
Leticia Supple
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I dont even know how I ended up with this book. I saw it referenced somewhere and just... bought it. As an energy healer, though, it was hands-down the best thing I could have done. This book is remarkable.

It is remarkable because the author is so committed to finding the truth that she explored the nature of intention, impact, prayer, and healings by running robust experiment after robust experiment. She partnered with significant academics and institutions to develop meaningful, testable,
Mythreya Reddy
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book gives scientific proof that group prayer or intention will improve health and well being.Positive intentions not only help others but will also return benefits to those who do intention..Overall it is a nice book about using group intention for healing and positive change.In few pages there were too many statistics they may have been brief or put in foot notes. Other than that it is a good book.Got this book through netgalley.
Manuela Colantonio-alonzi
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an interesting and thought provoking book! Very worthwhile to read this book - I highly recommend it. it teaches about the power we have to heal ourselves and others through gathering into a group. It describes the power of circles of people with specific intentions. McTaggarts is very knowledgeable and I look forward to learning more about her and her work.

I received this book in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley.
Greta
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
In keeping with the Spirit Group approach to connecting small groups of people together for a stated purpose, Lynne McTaggart relates her experiences of healing in small groups. Very helpful, since we are acting on her ideas at the Unity Spiritual Center in Spirit Groups of about 8 people. The miracle of healing is taking place among us and it is a powerful.
Cheryl Wolf
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great foundation of the steps and research!

Loved to learn about how you arrived at this group practice. Would have liked a bit more specifics about intention setting, and the actual optimal group process...do you only focus on one intention each time? What amount of time per meeting have you found best? Etc. Thanks for opening this process to the world!
Darryl Alder
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book and have already used it to make intention groups that have gotten good results for co-workers and family members. IF you want a taste of what it is all about, read this on my blog: https://eternalcore.org/featured/twel...
Denise Teague
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked this book but there was so much research and detail upon detail about the research that I had to just jump to the end. But it was great information.
Jan Daker
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating research that the author keeps trying to discount but ultimately accepts.
Mary Helene
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
It was OK. I can't bring myself to say I liked it. It could have been a 1,000 word report of findings. I didn't need to know how Sarah's aunt's kidney healed. I finished the book for two reasons: (1) someone I like was enthusiastic about it and wanted me to read it. (2) There is something here.
The larger experiments with non-violence were compelling.

Our intentions/prayer/blessing/focus does matter and it matters in groups. 8 is great group size. It works in amazing ways : starlings are able to
David
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Understandably, its difficult to write a book that largely sums up your attempts at scientific experiments. Youve got to walk a fine line between the science reporting and entertainment. McTaggart largely fails at this. We start out ok, with a summary of what shes already learned (some repetitive from her other books). But then we get to the experiments. She didnt hold my attention while she repeated very similar tasks over and over (and over and over and over). Then, instead of giving moving, ...more
Cheri Flake
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Lynne Mctaggart. The Field drastically changed my life and then The Intention Experiment...who knew? Now the Power of 8...there is so much here...She truly is changing everything and using science to drive home her point.

If everyone on this earth read this book...wow. Please pick it up!!! ☺

I did intention healing at a Joe Dispenza workshop in Santa Fe last year. I was super skeptical. It turned out to be nothing short of miraculous. I wasnt ever the one being healed and this is McTaggart
Morgan Bradham
McTaggart tackles the power of intent in communal settings, specifically for the purpose of healing. Intent, considered by some to be the new science of prayer or a form of secular meditation, is a riveting conversation in neuroscience. Intent, focused properly, has been shown to produce measurable effects in the material world and has also produced perceived effects in spiritual realm(s). McTaggart's approach is secular and thusly preferable for diverse groups. It was hard for me to "put down" ...more
Cara
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit at first I was a little annoyed by her constantly asking "Did I do this?" when referencing the experiments she carried out as if she was responsible for miracles. God is responsible for miracles. But it was very interesting to see as the book went on how she realized that it didn't matter who produced the miracles, but rather than miracles were happening. And I do appreciate her research in sharing statistics. It definitely taught me how I can improve my own participation in ...more
Jerry Levin
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the book but it was a little hard to read through the extensive details about the studies that she did.
That level of detail is important for an academic paper but is excessive when I just need to know that she had successful experiments and the results were so and so and now here is how to do this in your community.
Nancy
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Please note that my low review is not for the author, the significance of her work, or the ideas contained herein. I think all of those things are great.

My low review is for the reading or listening experience. As previous reviewers have noted, the endless descriptions of repeated experiments, while having scientific validity, become quite tedious.
Elizabeth Slocum
Groundbreaking info on how to heal

Super exciting breakthrough on how to set up a small group to assist healing of group members. A little wordy, but also very concise on the how to do it. She condenses the amazing results of 10 years of experiments. Inspiring and empowering info on our ability to promote serious healing in each other and ourselves through this simple process!
Ola
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
If only her methods were more scientific... I believe shes onto something, her experiments are well-intentioned, its just that this is all so vaguely documented and unreliable. Still, I dont mind reading McTaggarts book from time to time as a way of stretching and opening my own perspectives. ...more
Heather Hale
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
Meh.
Love the spirit, thoughts, ideas and studies but it is a very poorly written (and edited) book. Very repetitive. And I don't think there was a study in there that was new to me. THAT SAID, it inspired me to create a Power of 8 group, so... there's that!
Joseph Naus
I love the intent and there is no doubt that intention groups and meditations are beneficial, but as a matter of fact, the science simply wasnt there. False science is harmful to the New Age movement, and so I cannot endorse or recommend this book. ...more
Dana Pierce
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the outcome of the book, and have to say the reading of it, felt a little dry. It read a bit more like a case study, one after another. The outcome - outstanding! Altruism is the key! Thanks Lynne for the amazing insights as usual. Loved her other book "The Field"!
Superbunny
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
in the end she didn't really prove anything or determine anything for certain. but in a off chance that intention can really affect other people, then voodoo and curses are real. are you ready to accept that?
joe dispenza's becoming supernatural makes more sense.
Allan Susoeff
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
First let me say I generally LOVE Lynne McTaggart's work. This was a good book, loads of info, but not her best work by a long shot. Way too much in terms of testimonial, and not near enough in cold hard scientific facts in my opinion.
Cinyee
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this reading. I've been reading book from Lynne, and have boon enjoying them all. After this book, I went look for some power 8 groups to join online. The community on her website might not be the most active, but you can find a lot of groups on Facebook.

• The Biology of Belief: Unleashing the Power of Consciousness, Matter and Miracles
  • Breaking The Habit of Being Yourself: How to Lose Your Mind and Create a New One
  • Hero (The Secret, #4)
  • Molecules of Emotion: The Science Behind Mind-Body Medicine
  • Playing the Matrix: A Program for Living Deliberately and Creating Consciously
  • Real Magic: Ancient Wisdom, Modern Science, and a Guide to the Secret Power of the Universe
  • The Honeymoon Effect: The Science of Creating Heaven on Earth
  • The Subtle Body: An Encyclopedia of Your Energetic Anatomy
  • 365 Days With Self-Discipline: 365 Life-Altering Thoughts on Self-Control, Mental Resilience, and Success
  • Power vs. Force
  • Mind to Matter: The Astonishing Science of How Your Brain Creates Material Reality
  • All God's Children Need Traveling Shoes
  • The Isaiah Effect: Decoding the Lost Science of Prayer and Prophecy
  • Becoming Supernatural: How Common People Are Doing the Uncommon
  • Memories of the Afterlife: Life-Between-Lives Stories of Personal Transformation
  • The Blind Date (Love Unexpected #1)
  • Signs: The Secret Language of the Universe
  • Take A Knee
American journalist, author, publisher and lecturer, now living in London.

News & Interviews