Jump to ratings and reviews

The Power of Eight: Harnessing the Miraculous Energies of a Small Group to Heal Others, Your Life, and the World

“This is a monumentally significant book, a once-in-a-generation work that will turn the tide in how we unleash the power of healing for each other and for the world. Drink in its meticulous and transparent scientific method, its countless uplifting stories of vivid healing breakthroughs and its breathtakingly luminous vision. Then go manifest The Power of Eight. ” —James O'Dea, peace activist, former President of the Institute of Noetic Sciences and author of Soul Awakening Practice

Discover how to tap into your extraordinary human capacity for connection and healing, using astonishing new findings about the miraculous power of group intention and its boomerang effect, in this new book by the author of the international bestsellers The Intention Experiment and The Field .

What we send out into the universe comes back to us, magnified. Although the power of intention—the energy of positive thoughts—is widely accepted as an influential force in transforming lives, the exponential power of group intention has never been explored, until now. In The Power of Eight , Lynne McTaggart, an expert on the science of spirituality, reveals her remarkable findings from ten years of experiments about how group intention can heal our lives—and change the world for the better. Drawing on hundreds of case studies, the latest brain research, and dozens of McTaggart’s own university studies, The Power of Eight provides solid evidence showing that there is such a thing as a collective consciousness. Now you can learn to use it and unleash the power you hold inside of you to heal your own life with help from this riveting, highly accessible new book.

320 pages, Hardcover

First published September 26, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Lynne McTaggart

67 books310 followers
American journalist, author, publisher and lecturer, now living in London.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
30 (5%)
1 star
8 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 75 reviews
Profile Image for Maria Espadinha.
1,016 reviews364 followers
November 27, 2021
Infinity comes from Eight

When you perform a 90 degrees rotation of the number 8 you obtain the symbol of infinity… 🤔 🧐

In fact, number 8 can be connected to a source of boundless power. In a pure experimental, scientific way, The Power of Eight will show us how…

Some books can change the World. The Power of Eight is one of Them!

It’s a zillion stars from me 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟……………
Profile Image for Kelly Ferreira.
3 reviews1 follower
October 18, 2018
This book and what Lynn has started with these groups - can literally change the world. The things that my group (and others I'm acquainted with) has experienced in the short time that we've started our group is nothing short of amazing. Latest example is my 7 yr old nephew who has been suffering with intense headaches for months. After our group worked on him, my sister contacted me (not knowing we worked on him) to report that he hasn't been complained of pain and headaches out of the blue. That's just one example. These groups can bridge the divide in our society, help others, and highlight the human need and power of GIVING. I cannot recommend this more. Read it, start a group, and watch your life and those around you change for the better.
Profile Image for Maria Espadinha.
1,016 reviews364 followers
December 1, 2021
Infinito é um Oito deitado

Se submetermos o algarismo 8 a uma rotação de amplitude 90 graus obtemos o símbolo do infinito
De facto, por incrível que pareça, é possível associar o número 8 a um poder ilimitado. Longe de superstições e crendices, i.e., duma forma puramente experimental, O Poder dos Oito empenha-se em demonstrar como…

Há livros capazes de mudar o Mundo. O Poder dos Oito é um deles.
Quanto a mim, é quanto basta para arrebatar todas as estrelas 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Profile Image for Elaine.
Author 6 books2 followers
February 1, 2018
I had previously read Lynne McTaggart's excellent book "The Field" (to which I had given 5 stars). The information presented in "The Power of Eight" is equally valuable and worth 5 stars in itself, but I am only giving the book a 4-star rating because I found this book more difficult to read than "The Field". The author went into a great deal of detail about how she went about setting up each of the experiments described in the book, how she came into contact with the people who assisted her in the experiments, etc. I found the amount of detail to be too much to plow through, so I ended up doing quite a bit of skimming and even skipping, just to get to the more interesting parts about the results and conclusions. Well worth reading, though.
Profile Image for Ariana deVries.
13 reviews
July 5, 2018
A very interesting topic - erring on the side of hokey and mystical. I wasn’t able to get through the whole book as it felt very repetitive and could have been written as an article. I know she was trying to back up her position and findings with scientific evidence, but it didn’t seem to do much for me. I could have at least read the last chapter or two to see what her conclusions were, but the ideas just seemed too airy fairy. It was kind of like she was trying to confirm a personal bias.

I’m sure it may be revolutionary for some, and it may be true and helpful, but I wasn’t in the brain space to apply it myself. Placebo effects can be powerful and this seemed very close to that.
Profile Image for SeanT_C2.
9 reviews7 followers
November 23, 2017
This book exposed me to another side of Noetic Science and the alternation of the world based emotions. Throughout the ages, small circles of people have held a significance in many cultures and among many indigenous groups. I never thought there could be a scientific reasoning behind all of this, but clearly that thought was debunked. One thing I found very interesting was how the author mentioned homothumadon, a greek compound word meaning "rush-along" and "unison". In the actions of homothumadon, instead of just normal meditation, the participants move away from their isolated state of individuality into a natural, pure bond with others. As described by the author, "It felt familiar when experienced, but is also an extremely rare outcome to group meditation. In conclusion, Lynne McTaggart documents and expresses that a Power of Eight group is more than just a collection of separate individuals. They are not just connecting, they are merging, and from the natural process of merging comes altruism, and power.
Profile Image for Michael Kerr.
Author 1 book6 followers
June 30, 2019
As Shakespeare observed, "there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." This book is a fascinating exploration of the power of group intention. McTaggart goes to great lengths to establish scientific validity for the experiments she discusses. She enlists the help of a number of people in the scientific community and uses double-blind strategies to ensure no biases influences the results. Measurable differences in things like seed growth set the stage for later experiments in using group intention to affect the health of participants. Inspiring and engaging, this book pushes the woo-woo boundaries.
September 21, 2017
This book gives scientific proof that group prayer or intention will improve health and well being.Positive intentions not only help others but will also return benefits to those who do intention..Overall it is a nice book about using group intention for healing and positive change.In few pages there were too many statistics they may have been brief or put in foot notes. Other than that it is a good book.Got this book through netgalley.
Profile Image for Nes.
415 reviews18 followers
August 29, 2018
This topic interests me a great deal, but I wasn’t interested as much in Lynne’s journey of discovery. Just summarise the findings - that’s what I want to know. I also feel like she dismisses discussion on the amount of people that didn’t find it useful. What about all those people?
Profile Image for Adri.
331 reviews3 followers
July 18, 2022
I am now in a Power of 8 prayer and meditation group. I love it. We are resonating at a higher vibration when we come together via Zoom. We pray and “intend” for one another and for other in the world.
This practice has blessed my life.
Profile Image for Stefan Dziewanowski.
6 reviews1 follower
September 30, 2018
Worth exploring

This book points along a trajectory that is worth exploring further, and I shall be. Lots to think about, and practice with. I shall be setting up an intention group to explore these ideas.
Profile Image for Leticia Supple.
Author 4 books16 followers
November 28, 2018
I don’t even know how I ended up with this book. I saw it referenced somewhere and just... bought it. As an energy healer, though, it was hands-down the best thing I could have done. This book is remarkable.

It is remarkable because the author is so committed to finding the truth that she explored the nature of intention, impact, prayer, and healings by running robust experiment after robust experiment. She partnered with significant academics and institutions to develop meaningful, testable, repeatable experiments. When her experiments began yielding positive results, she disbelieved it to the point where she looked at every possible reason why it could have been a mistake. In a sense, she is a true scientist.

The experiments are detailed and referenced extensively in this book, as is her method of finding and creating groups of eight people.

And as for the outcomes? Every one of them remarkable. Whether the impact was on individuals’ health, wealth or abundance; whether it was on water, seeds, or living plants; whether it was on unborn children; whether it was on entire situations, such as civil unrest or outright war... in every case the outcome was astonishing.

It’s enough, in fact, for me to begin exploring the establishment of my own Group of Eight. So if you want to join in, let me know.

I highly recommend this work for anyone skeptical of energy healing, intention, manifestation, prayer, group meditation, or related practices. I suggest this will be a significant game changer for you. And when it is, hit me up to form a group of eight.

Profile Image for David.
154 reviews
July 22, 2018
Understandably, it’s difficult to write a book that largely sums up your attempts at scientific experiments. You’ve got to walk a fine line between the science reporting and entertainment. McTaggart largely fails at this. We start out ok, with a summary of what she’s already learned (some repetitive from her other books). But then we get to the experiments. She didn’t hold my attention while she repeated very similar tasks over and over (and over and over and over). Then, instead of giving moving, detailed stories about the people involved, we get: Marcia said she felt happy. Greg felt love for the universe. Jan felt more connected to the dog. Peter felt awe. Sigh... it was just so boring. The book ends with quick hints on how to start your own group (all of which most people would figure out on their own). Although I like the concepts she explores, she’s just now presenting the material in an interesting way. I think I’m done with. Her books.
Profile Image for Mary Helene.
674 reviews39 followers
February 3, 2020
It was OK. I can't bring myself to say I liked it. It could have been a 1,000 word report of findings. I didn't need to know how Sarah's aunt's kidney healed. I finished the book for two reasons: (1) someone I like was enthusiastic about it and wanted me to read it. (2) There is something here.
The larger experiments with non-violence were compelling.

Our intentions/prayer/blessing/focus does matter and it matters in groups. 8 is great group size. It works in amazing ways : starlings are able to form large mobile groups but the basic unit is 8 birds communicating with each other. Long ago, when my husband was in the diplomatic corps, and I was experimenting with tables and how to facilitate good dinner table conversation, that round tables (as opposed to rectangular) and 8 settings (as opposed to 10) worked best.

This book has spurred me to be more intentional, to pray with focus and to look for others inclined to do this together in a group of 8.
Profile Image for Manuela Colantonio-alonzi.
20 reviews3 followers
December 22, 2017
What an interesting and thought provoking book! Very worthwhile to read this book - I highly recommend it. it teaches about the power we have to heal ourselves and others through gathering into a group. It describes the power of circles of people with specific intentions. McTaggarts is very knowledgeable and I look forward to learning more about her and her work.

I received this book in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley.
Profile Image for Greta.
845 reviews4 followers
March 22, 2018
In keeping with the Spirit Group approach to connecting small groups of people together for a stated purpose, Lynne McTaggart relates her experiences of healing in small groups. Very helpful, since we are acting on her ideas at the Unity Spiritual Center in Spirit Groups of about 8 people. The miracle of healing is taking place among us and it is a powerful.
6 reviews
June 10, 2018
Great foundation of the steps and research!

Loved to learn about how you arrived at this group practice. Would have liked a bit more specifics about intention setting, and the actual optimal group process...do you only focus on one intention each time? What amount of time per meeting have you found best? Etc. Thanks for opening this process to the world!
Profile Image for Ola.
41 reviews9 followers
January 9, 2019
If only her methods were more scientific... I believe she’s onto something, her experiments are well-intentioned, it’s just that this is all so vaguely documented and unreliable. Still, I don’t mind reading McTaggart’s book from time to time as a way of stretching and opening my own perspectives.
Profile Image for Heather Hale.
Author 9 books7 followers
September 20, 2019
Meh.
Love the spirit, thoughts, ideas and studies but it is a very poorly written (and edited) book. Very repetitive. And I don't think there was a study in there that was new to me. THAT SAID, it inspired me to create a Power of 8 group, so... there's that!
204 reviews1 follower
May 21, 2018
Fascinating research that the author keeps trying to discount but ultimately accepts.
Profile Image for Julie.
28 reviews5 followers
December 11, 2018
Really, REALLY interesting subject. Book is INCREDIBLY DRY.
Profile Image for Denise.
41 reviews
January 3, 2019
I liked this book but there was so much research and detail upon detail about the research that I had to just jump to the end. But it was great information.
Profile Image for Maria Paiz.
455 reviews19 followers
November 20, 2020
McTaggart's book explains the scientific experiments that led her to discover how small groups of 6-10 people can have a healing effect on others simply through the power of intention. There doesn't have to be great preparation, just the purity of intention to heal. The way of healing is through the quantum: by turning the energy of our thoughts into a sort of magnetic force that miraculously alters illness into health, or creates abundance, of love, or whatever the person most strongly desires. There is no need for any applied physical force; subatomic particles are influenced simply by the energy of out thoughts.

As an added bonus, every time we focus our energy on healing or helping others, like a boomerang that energy comes back to heal or help us too. It's a beautiful concept, a direct and lovely sense of loving others into health and happiness.

I read this book after participating in a Joe Dispenza seminar, where we co-healed people remotely by focusing on simply their picture. McTaggart's book basically describes the same principles in different terms, and at this moment I am a true believer.
Profile Image for Bryan Tanner.
532 reviews212 followers
February 27, 2022
Summary:

Empirical evidence of unseen intention.

Lynne McTaggart documents how a Power of Eight group is more than just a collection of separate individuals. They are not just connecting, they are merging, and from the natural process of merging comes altruism, and power.

Review:

Pedantically ponderous.

Reading this felt like a guilty pleasure. I participate in group prayer and fasting all the time in my church worship and service. However, I have never questioned the metaphysics of the divine nature of these rituals. In learning about Dr. McTaggart's studies, I felt like I was peeking behind a sacred curtain.

One of Dr. McTaggart's most interesting findings was that healing comes to those who focus on serving/lifting/blessing others. That immediately reminded me of the time I called my aunt who had just found out her breast cancer had returned for the third time. I was shocked when she turned the tables and asked what she could do for me. That always stayed with me. Perhaps she already understood this principle.
April 22, 2020
This was a very interesting experiment. Though I felt like yes, there were many factors of the experiment that is questionable, I still felt like this experiment really changed my perspective.

The book really pulled me in to find out more, but maybe this is just me, but as soon as the author speaks about the scientific aspect of it - it suddenly became dense. It was hard for me to comb through but in essence it the flow was light and then dense, and then light again. Honestly I was really close to giving up on this book on the denser parts, but I'm glad I didn't. I also felt like sometimes the author keeps repeating similar information randomly throughout the book to make a point, but it honestly didn't have a great impact by repeating it.

Though I wish I actually had read The Intention Experiment first, this book will sort of not make sense if you haven't read it yet. It took me awhile to grasp what's happening in the first few pages.
Profile Image for Tessa {bleeds glitter}.
694 reviews20 followers
November 15, 2022
My mom gave this to me to read, even though that's her kind of book and not mine..
I don't know if I believe much of what is being told in here, especially considering that this is kind of old and McTaggart and the people in her groups kept saying "we're going to change the world", which they obviously haven't done, at least not in a good way, so. Still, I liked that this was more written like an article and they did all these experiments to prove that this is a legit thing. Some statements were definitely a bit weird though, made me think I wouldn't really like the personal beliefs of the author, even though she interacted with a lot of different people from different countries, which was definitely the best part of the book.
The only conclusion I came to is that it really does seem like we're just living in a simulation.
Profile Image for Morgan.
147 reviews83 followers
November 9, 2018
McTaggart tackles the power of intent in communal settings, specifically for the purpose of healing. Intent, considered by some to be the new science of prayer or a form of secular meditation, is a riveting conversation in neuroscience. Intent, focused properly, has been shown to produce measurable effects in the material world and has also produced perceived effects in spiritual realm(s). McTaggart's approach is secular and thusly preferable for diverse groups. It was hard for me to "put down" this book once I'd gotten started (I guess you "put down" an ebook when you close your laptop). McTaggart's humility, curiosity, and appreciation for questioning results create a recipe for the kind of social experiments I could spend my life participating in. Truly wonderful and inspiring!
Profile Image for Cheri Flake.
Author 1 book5 followers
April 11, 2019
I love Lynne Mctaggart. The Field drastically changed my life and then The Intention Experiment...who knew? Now the Power of 8...there is so much here...She truly is changing everything and using science to drive home her point.

If everyone on this earth read this book...wow. Please pick it up!!! ☺️

I did intention healing at a Joe Dispenza workshop in Santa Fe last year. I was super skeptical. It turned out to be nothing short of miraculous. I wasn’t ever the one being healed and this is McTaggart’s point.: Get the focus off of you and on others and you end up healing yourself.

If you read this review and want to get in on a Power of 8 group, let me know...I’m going to start one. Absolutely. Join me?
August 5, 2020
Great read, lots of interesting information on the Healing affects of circles and intention settings and I love the world wide studies that got incorporated. Lots of detailed references to further expand on the subject. I really enjoyed the added bits of elemental influence such as Water and properties of water molecules and Raman effect. I did use the Audio format and have to say it was an easier read as a result, not a fluffy story and tends to get a bit heavy on the scientific notes. It reads very much like a study but the added personal stories and testimonies really bring it all together. Overall Enjoyed and learned a whole lot.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 75 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.