Start by marking “Bone White” as Want to Read:
Bone White

Bone White

A landscape of frozen darkness punctuated by grim, gray days.
The feeling like a buzz in your teeth.
The scrape of bone on bone. . .

Paul Gallo saw the report on the news: a mass murderer leading police to his victims graves, in remote Dread's Hand, Alaska.

It's not even a town; more like the bad memory of a town. The same bit of wilderness where his twin brother went missing
Published July 25th 2017 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published July 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Bone White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bone White

Start your review of Bone White
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!

It usually takes a lot for a book to scare me and this book was able to do that. I always love a good book that does this to me. It was terrifying and so very creepy. The whole town was creepy, even the children were creepy. If you want a book to creep you out, and scare you this is one that definitely will creep you out. Nothing really scares me but this one did.

A journey that is so unsettling, into the outer reaches of Alaskan civilisation, its a story of small town superstition,
Char
In the cold town of Dread's Hand, Alaska, Paul Gallo arrives in search of his missing twin brother. He will never be the same again.

You didnt arrive in Dreads Hand, he realized, but rather Dreads Hand came at you piecemeal, a bit of itself at a time, like someone reluctant to make your acquaintance..."

I'm not going to rehash the plot, as the synopsis and several other reviews already do that. I can only tell you how it made me feel. Uneasy. Jumpy. Disconcerted. All these things and more.

Michelle
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, bought-own
I have a confession to make.....

I am a huge Ronald Malfi fan.

This is my 7th book by him and he has yet to disappoint me. I can safely say that he is definitely one of my favorite authors.

When Paul Gallo sees on the news a story of a mass killing in Dreads Hand, Alaska it catches his attention. His twin brother, Danny, disappeared from Dreads Hand a year before and has never been seen since. Paul decides to fly out to Alaska to find out if his brother is one of the victims.

"And the devil took
Ginger
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
5 STARS!

You guys, I really love the writing of Ronald Malfi!
This is the second book that Ive read of his and its also a winner. The writing is atmospheric, descriptive and the book just flows so well. The chapters and book flies by while I get sucked into the plot and characters.

What the hell is going on in Dread's Hand and do I really want to know? Eek!!

Bone White was no exception on this formula. I was sucked in from the beginning with the relationship of Danny and Paul Gallo, along with the
Jan
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, mystery
This is one dark, creepy, read under the covers scary book!

Set in the cold, desolate parts of Alaska, there is a tiny old mining town called Dread's Head. So small and isolated that it doesn't even appear on most maps. This is not a place people go to visit. There have been whispers about evil in the surrounding woods of Dread's Head throughout the years. People have disappeared, families murdering their own. Some say it's because Bone White (the devil) got them.

The stage is set, then comes
Zoeytron
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: public-library
There is something evil afoot in the woods that lie on the outskirts of  Dread's Hand, Alaska.  It churns in the pools of darkness, slithers in the treetops, and it watches.  Staked crosses reach up out of the mist like fingers, skeletal and bone white.  Nothing good comes out of those woods, something in there sours the soul and rots away at the mind. When are we going to learn to steer clear of the woods?  When?

Well-written and finely plotted.  The scare factor wasn't as high as I would have
Beverly
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great creation of the back end of nowhere and the brutal conditions that you find there permeate this tale of twin brothers who have lost touch with each other. Paul, the good brother, and Danny, the reprobate, haven't seen each other for a year after Danny went on an adventure in Alaska. Alaska is a place where people frequently go missing for good. The highest rate of disappearance is the state's dubious distinction. These lost men, women and children never even turn up dead, they just vanish. ...more
Edward Lorn
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dread drips from this motherfucker. Its residue stains the reader, lingering through moments of downtime. The effect of this is insidious, leaving you considering all the possibilities of the newest mystery while Malfi develops characters and ties up loose ends. This technique serves two purposes: it creates even pacing, and a lasting sense of fear.

I love stories told in dangerously-cold environs. Dan Simmons's The Terror, Michael McBride's Snowblind, and most recently, Ian McGuire's The North
Linda
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Predator's eyes........Nightmare fuel.

"You should not be here" etched in the haze of the cracked mirror.

There is something that draws us to the darkest corner of the room. The magnetic pull of crouching low to check the shadows under the bed. A hand that turns the knob of the closet door for one last look.

Paul Gallo's back leans against the wall of indecision. His brother, Danny, has been missing for almost a year in the frozen, treacherous land near Dread's Hand, Alaska. A quickly snapped
Ɗẳɳ  2.☊
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Bone White begins when a filthy, disheveled, longtime resident of Dreads Hand, Alaska walks out of the blue and into the black. The black in this instance being the local diner where he sits down for breakfast then causally claims to have butchered eight people out in the wilderness. Coincidentally, nearly a year ago Pauls twin brother, Danny, went missing in that same one-horse town. And when word of the atrocity reaches Pauls door, he packs a bag and catches the first flight out to Fairbanks.

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

4.5 Stars

Up is down, down is up. Bigfoot is searching for me now.

I passed Bone White up when it was offered over on NetGalley due to having a pretty meh experience with Little Girls by this author. But then a bunch of my friends started reading it and loving it and giving it crazy high ratings and well, you know me . . . . .

I was 100% prepared to be the dissenting opinion and wrong-reader of this one, so imagine my surprise when I
Carrie
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
In the remote little town of Dreads Hand, Alaska a man walks into the local diner covered in blood and obviously not having bathed in weeks or months even. One of the locals recognizes the man as old Joe Mallory who hasn't been seen for quite a while in the small town. Joe shocks the others claiming he needs the local law called as he has killed people.

Seeing the story of old Joe Mallory turning himself in on the news and the police finding numerous unidentified bodies Paul Gallo knows he needs
Carmen
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror Fans; Anyone
Recommended to Carmen by: Ɗẳɳ 2.☊
"Don't you know what they say about that place?"

"What place?"

"Dread's Hand."

"What do they say?"

"That it's cursed," said the woman. "That terrible things happen to people who go out there. They lose themselves. Spiritually, I mean. Their souls get corrupted... You look into that woods and something looks back at you."

This is a great horror novel. I'm unsure how to describe it: part Stephen King; part Silent Hill; part The Thing; part The Village. Maybe this is unfair to Malfi, he has crafted a
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bone White is flawless, ticking all the boxes and leaving the reader with a complete, blissed-out horror fiction hangover. A murder mystery thriller bundled with straight-up 'leave the lights on when you read' terror. This one has teeth.
The set-up reminds me of an X-Files episode: A small, cozy well-lit diner nestled in a frozen landscape is alive with a handful of locals eating comfort food and each others company. The door opens. Everyone looks at the newcomer--hes scraggly and barely
Mort
Mar 09, 2019 added it
I decided not to rate this one.

Malfi is a very good writer and he created atmosphere with this story, but due to some hectic things happening in my life right now, I could only steal a 10 minutes here and a 15 minutes there to read. This made the book feel much too long - which, I'm fairly sure, would not have been the case if I could have finished it within a few days.
So, I can't really complain about the author or story, for that would be unfair.

I will give this author another shot in the
Kimberly
BONE WHITE, by Ronald Malfi is a book that I'm already certain will make it into my "top reads of the year" list. There isn't much "NOT" to praise about this novel!

Malfi begins with a chilling--both figuratively and literally--scene in the tiny, remote town of Dread's Hand, Alaska. A man suffering from severe frostbite and dehydration wanders into the only eating establishment, announcing that someone should call the safety officer, Val Drammell, so that he can show him the location of eight
Johann (jobis89)
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
If there are ghosts here - and some say there are - then they are most clearly glimpsed in the faces of the living.

Ronald Malfi continues to impress me with this slow-burn chilling horror set in the isolated and eerie town of Dreads Hand, Alaska. Following the discovery of bodies up in the surrounding White Mountains, Paul Gallo goes looking for his brother, Danny, who was last seen in the area.

Nothing is quite as unsettling as an isolated town, where the few inhabitants just seem a little
Adrian Dooley
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this from start to finish. Feels a bit like a murder mystery with some supernatural thrown in, but it saunters along at its own pace and becomes more and more eerie as we read it.

In a diner in a small little town called Dreads Hand in Alaska, a man walks in unwashed, unshaven and looking very unkept. Sits down and orders a hot chocolate. The locals recognise the man as Joe Mallory. A local man who hasn't been seen in a long time. While drinking his hot chocolate he asks the owner to call
Kenneth McKinley
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A man shambles down out of the hills of northern Alaska and into the only diner in the tiny, fly-speck sized town of Dread's Hand. He sits down at the counter and casually orders his favorite, hot cocoa. The waitress is trembling as she brings it to him. As Joe Mallory is enjoying his drink with dried blood all over his shirt, he suggests to the waitress that she contact the local law officer, that he has finished burying five bodies in the hills and he'd like to turn himself in.

Paul Gallo
Chris Berko
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A truly scary book that is fantastic from beginning to end. This is cold, desolate stuff that sinks into your bones and chills from within. Hopefully this catapults Malfi into a higher readership sphere because he has grown as an author and deserves a wider audience. Blah blah blah... Stephen King. Blah blah blah... Clive Barker. Blah blah blah... whoever, I'll put Ronald Malfi's stuff up against anyone right now and feel confident doing so, he is that good. I loved this story, I did not feel ...more
Kelli
Apr 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
I listened to this creepy tale about Alaska in the spring mainly because I live in Massachusetts and its freezing and it is (frustratingly) still winter here. I finished listening after midnight, wrapped in a blanket and covered in goosebumps. It was, however, a long buildup to the ending and I expected a bit more. 3.5 stars ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
I decided to read this book after seeing a heap of friends praising it and I'm glad I did because now I have to add Ronald Malfi to my list of horror authors to be on the lookout for.

Now, I'm not easily scared, and to be honest did not this book scare me, but I was enthralled with it. I mean what's not to like? A lot of whole missing people, a small town with a bad reputation and a serial killer that one day decided to share with the police what he has done. It's a book that not only has an
Nancy
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Scary October read to ring in Halloween can be checked off my list. What a great scary story. Don't want to spoil the read for anyone but do want to let you know that where you think the book is going is never where it goes. Ronald Malfi took a cliche storyline and twisted and turned it so it is not cliche at all! As I was reading, was thinking yeah scary town, scary townspeople, scary motel room, yeah know where this is going. Nope, it never went where I assumed it was going to go. Loved ...more
Glenn Rolfe
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Like it was something real. Something out there in the woods with claws.

Every time I sit down with a Ronald Malfi book, Im reminded of why I want to be a writer. He reminds me of the power in the art. How words can come together to evoke visions and stir feelings, how characters can become flesh and blood on the page, and how a story can work its way into your bones. We expect that as readers, but as a writer, when we see it done so well, it ignites within us the reason were doing this in the
Melissa
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, horror, 2017
Yeah....five star horror! Ronald Malfi nailed it with THE NARROWS, and has done it again with BONE WHITE. I could totally visualize the setting, the cold, the fear. The suspense built at a perfect pace.
All that we need is a soundtrack and this would be one bad ass movie! Loved it!
Cody | CodysBookshelf
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Paul Gallo is a man looking for answers. The year before the events of this novel begin, his twin brother, Danny, went missing in the tiny town of Dreads Hand, Alaska. Paul a teacher in Maryland is too far away to investigate . . . until, after news that a mass murderer in Dreads Hand has led the police to his victims graves. Is one of the victims Danny? He must find out as it turns out, the only way he can do so is go to the Alaska town himself. But answers will not come easy.

I loved this
Jon Recluse
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Bone White has done something that few thrillers have done to me in years....left me white knuckled. With a chilling atmosphere that has one Hell of a lot more going for it than just the temperature in the aptly named town of Dread's Hand, Alaska.
With a deft hand, Malfi weaves a contemporary thriller with primal fear, paying homage, in my humble opinion, to Algernon Blackwood and his classic The Wendigo. And raising the bar, not to mention the hairs on the back of my neck in the process.

Highly
Greg at 2 Book Lovers Reviews
This is my second experience into the wonderful imagination of Ronald Malfi, and I have come to the conclusion that he is not human. Ronald Malfi is some kind of demonic artist of words. He can reach deep inside of you, grab hold of your soul and twist it to shreds. He writes a pretty good book too!

I was completely sucked into this world of Malfis creation; the way he writes separated me from my own reality.

Sonja Arlow
3.5 creepy stars

A slow building horror with just the right amount of creepiness. The author really did a stellar job of creating an eerie atmosphere and Dreads Hand felt like the main character rather than just the place the story was playing off in.

Some of the imagery was quite disturbing in a very subtle way. The crosses on the side of the road, the silent children walking around with animal fur on their faces, the strange symbols carved into walls, the hostility of the locals.

The story opens
Irene
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"What you got all over them clothes?"
"Is that blood on your clothes Joe?"

In the tiny frozen mining village of Dread's Hand Alaska, where an unusual amount of people go missing, a killer steps forward to lead the authorities to 8 bodies he's buried.
When Paul Gallo sees this on the news, he drops everything to rush there, where he hopes at last to find closure in the search for his missing brother Danny. Paul has always tried to watch out for Danny, what with being the oldest of the two by a good
Apocalypse Whenever: READ WITH US: Bone White by Ronald Malfi 70 38 Jan 11, 2019 06:12PM
Horror Aficionados : Bone White - Ronald Malfi 76 64 Oct 23, 2017 07:02AM

• The Cold
  • The Bleeding Season
  • Ghostland
  • Little Heaven
Ronald Malfi is an award-winning author of many novels and novellas in the horror, mystery, and thriller categories from various publishers, including Little Girls, this summers 2015 release from Kensington.

In 2009, his crime drama, Shamrock Alley, won a Silver IPPY Award. In 2011, his ghost story/mystery novel, Floating Staircase, was a finalist for the Horror Writers Association Bram Stoker