Start by marking “Iron Angels” as Want to Read:
Iron Angels

Iron Angels

New York Times best-selling author Eric Flint takes on urban fantasy: A bizarre kidnapping case leads FBI Special Agent Jasper Wilde into the mysterious world of a strange religious cult, even stranger criminals and an ancient evil. Set in the Windy City of Chicago and in rusty, industrial East Chicago
A bizarre kidnapping case leads FBI Special Agent Jasper Wilde into
Published September 5th 2017 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about Iron Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iron Angels

Start your review of Iron Angels
Grayson
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The highest compliment I can pay this book is that once I started reading, it was nearly impossible to put down. It had just the right amount intrigue to carry me from one chapter to another. Although it was more of FBI thriller than I'm used to, it never gets bogged down in the functions of the FBI and gives interesting glimpses into procedures and terminology. For my usual tastes it could have leaned harder into the supernatural but the foundations in the real world served to highlight the ...more
Kristene Perron
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
FBI Special Agent Jasper Wilde thinks he's hot on the trail of a kidnapper, but his world is about to be turned upside down. A crazy cult, a secret society, strange apparitions, unexplained murders, and plenty of pop culture jokes abound as Wilde and his new, temporary supervisor, Temple Black race to solve a mystery and... possibly save the world from evil.

This was a tight story that kept me gripped right up to the final page. Wilde and Black have electric chemistry and every character earns
Kevin Brown
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Not one of Flint's better books. The plot dragged and the characters were only mildly interesting.
Ron
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Eric Flint with Alistair Kimble has branched out into a contemporary FBI tale with supernatural/science fiction protagonists. A FBI agent in northwestern Indiana has an X-File like group named Scientific Anomalies Group (SAG) descend upon after his report on a kidnapped girl triggered their search terms. Over the course of the next week, there are a string of strange corpses found, attempted kidnappings, actual abductions, fires, strange guilds surfacing and all culminating in a battle with a ...more
Bret Smith
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book! What a wonderful collaboration between renown "1632" author Eric Flint and FBI Agent Alistair Kimble. This book combines crime fiction (with real FBI procedures and a glossary!), science fiction, supernatural elements and freaky cults! I found the character development to be topnotch as I grew to care about these characters. Highly recommended read and hoping for a follow-up novel!
Bad Cookie
Oct 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
I couldn't get into this story. I felt like I was reading a rough draft. It had the potential to be better, but the execution was off. Someone should have done a better job of editing .
Glennis
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This is first in a new series with Eric Flint and newcomer Alistair Kimble. The action takes place in the Chicago area and it seems there is a cult kidnapping and sacrificing people to bring their god into our world. As Agent Jasper Wilde is joined by an agent out of the DC area that works for a division he has never heard of before they try and stop the cultists from killing anyone else and maybe stop whatever it is from coming into our world. They do find allies that have been fighting against ...more
Daniel Shellenbarger
To be blunt, this is just not a good book, the characters are terrible and unlikeable, the story is poorly developed and goes in circles and the writing is painful. I've liked (and often loved) pretty much every Eric Flint book (and co-authored book) I've read, and I've read a lot of them, but I just plain hated pretty much everything about this book (well, apart from the setting, which I found weirdly intriguing since I have family who live in the area of northwest Indiana where the story takes ...more
Craig
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This is an interesting detective procedural, reminiscent of The X-Files, set in contemporary Chicago. It's quite different from Flint's popular alternate history works and space-opera stories. I found it to be an entertaining read overall, though some of the writing didn't seem up to his usual standards and the dialog was clunky in spots. It could have used another pass for polish, but it was a fun read.
Cisca Small
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Alistair is a great balance to Flint. The books has the kind of details that readers have come to expect from Flint balanced with Alistair's real world experience.

If you like mysteries or crime novels then this is a must read.

Yes, its Urban Fantasy -but its not what we have come to expect out of the genre. So fresh to read UF with no romance subtext.
Tara
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Henry Lazarus
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
The best way to write a tale abut the FBI investigating monsters in a Chicago suburb is for one of the writers, Alistair Kimble, to actually be a FBI special agent. Eric Flint adds the fantasy excitement to Iron Angels (hard from Baen) which starts with rescuing a girl kidnaped as a cult sacrifice. Beings from another world can enter ours and love the iron in human blood. Someone who has gone into their world comes back with powers. Jasper Wilde is a special agent working with local police. ...more
Griffin Barber
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tightly plotted, this book rocks steadily through an investigation that comes to a burning-hot conclusion! Federal agents, scientists, mad cult leaders, creatures beyond the veil: Iron Angels presents a story that reminded me of the very best of Delta Green.

The characters are intense, and their interactions entertaining and realistic. While it's obvious that Alistair has great depth of knowledge of investigations in general and Federal Bureau of Investigation tactics, policies, and procedures,
James
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, horror
X-Files gets mashed up with Lovecraft. It's not over the top, it's remotely plausible that this bizarre stuff is still secret, i.e. only a few victims, not large portions of cities going missing. One of the villains saves someone, so they aren't the typical super-evil types, indeed I would say that they are more than a bit crazy rather than purely bad. A decent read and the start of a series.
Brian
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
This fantasy/horror police procedural had a reasonable plot and the authors seemed to put a lot of effort into snappy dialogue. Unfortunately, I found the banter fairly leaden and sometimes the fast paced action just seemed disjoint.

The setting and characters have promise, if the authors can do a better job with them.
Whit
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am a sucker for team building and Kimble and Flint do a great job of putting together a team of fleshed out characters that you want to keep spending time with. I think Kimble's insider knowledge of the FBI helped with the world building-the use of lingo and terminology felt natural. I hope there is a second book in the series!
Gail Morris
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a sideways step from what I usually read from Eric but since I also like mysteries I got right into this book and could not put it down. I hope there will be more of this type and these characters.
Redsteve
An interesting concept, but the writing just didn't grab me (I'm a big fan of Flint's Ring of Fire series so I'm putting this on co-author Kimble). To much FBI procedural and bureaucratic infighting minutia and the "partner banter" seemed kind of forced. 2.5 stars.
Michael
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: assiti-shard
I enjoyed the book, I hope there are more stories like this
Dan
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, fantasy
Not bad, I'd read a sequel.
Julie
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I made it to Chapter 12, about page 90. Which is compelling as this isn't my genre. But I would recommend it to those who enjoy monsters in Chicago.
Marguerite Weith
Apr 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Was halfway through this book and didn't even really know what it was about. The characters are chasing something and still don't even know what.
Danny
Heather
Jan 07, 2018
Katie Hays
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely incredible! I am an avid lover of both science fiction and crime novels, but never thought they could be beautifully blended together until I read this book. The characters were witty, intelligent, and down-right funny. I felt my pace race with every chapter that mentioned the mysterious Rao and Lali, and then found myself grinning at every chapter that had Temple and Wilde giving each other crap. This book is an amazing read and I can't wait for a sequel to rear its' head soon!
Dk
Jan 03, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Spark
  • A Call to Vengeance (Honorverse: Manticore Ascendant, #3)
  • Uncompromising Honor (Honor Harrington, #14)
  • The Valley of Shadows (Black Tide Rising, #5)
  • Though Hell Should Bar the Way (Lt. Leary, #12)
  • The Monster Hunter Files
  • The Sea Peoples (Emberverse #14)
  • Bringers of Hell (Tau Ceti Agenda, #6)
  • The Gordian Protocol
  • Vallista (Vlad Taltos, #15)
  • To Clear Away The Shadows (RCN, #13)
  • The Prisoner of Limnos (Penric and Desdemona, #6)
  • A Scandal in Battersea (Elemental Masters, #12)
  • Black Chamber (Tales from the Black Chamber #1)
  • That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)
  • Through Fiery Trials (Safehold, #10)
  • The Storm
  • Burdens of the Dead (Heirs of Alexandria, #4)
Eric Flint is a New York Times bestselling American author, editor, and e-publisher. The majority of his main works are alternate history science fiction, but he also writes humorous fantasy adventures.