Start by marking “Golden Kamuy, Vol. 2 (Golden Kamuy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Golden Kamuy, Vol. 2 (Golden Kamuy, #2)

Golden Kamuy, Vol. 2

( ゴールデンカムイ [Golden Kamuy] #2)

A tale of high adventure and survival on the Japanese frontier!
In the early 20th century, Russo-Japanese War veteran Saichi Sugimoto searches the wilderness of the Japanese frontier of Hokkaido for a hoard of hidden gold. With only a cryptic map and a native Ainu girl to help him, Saichi must also deal with every murderous cutthroat, bandit and rogue who knows about the
Published September 19th 2017 by VIZ Media LLC (first published February 19th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Golden Kamuy, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Golden Kamuy, Vol. 2

Start your review of Golden Kamuy, Vol. 2 (Golden Kamuy, #2)
Andrea
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Read April 27, 2016

In the second volume Sugimoto and Asirpa are being tracked by the infamous 7th division. While on the run they stop at an Ainu village, where we learn more about culture and history of these people. It's hard to comprehend how a country as advanced as Japan treats the minorities as such inferiors. In 1899 the government passed a law that basically forced Ainu to become farmers, banning them from fishing, fur trade, and forestry. It was abolished only recently, in 1997 :(
Elise Dawson
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, manga
I am on the fence about this series. Though I am not particularly bothered by gore, everything in this series seems especially gruesome. As an animal lover/activist, I am upset and enraged to read about themes like hunting... though I am more lenient considering the timeframe the series is set. I cannot help but be saddened to see such beautiful creatures die. I will persevere and try to at least make it to the fifth volume, before I drop it. Preferably Ill finish all the volumes I own but this ...more
Nelson
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
I freaking love this series. I was a little unsure about the mixture of a serious plot and ultra-simulatory survival with humor, but I am completely sold. It just works so well. I love learning about Ainu culture, survival, and cooking, and the characters are just a joy to watch. I love how quickly these volumes go by. It's just a ton of fun and I would highly recommend it to any fans of seinen or historical fiction.
Rollin
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
If the first volume sets the stage, the players truly become to strut upon it in this volume. The two protagonists -- for they share the designation in all honesty -- have the same goal, but different reasons, and both have their methods and backgrounds explored more thoroughly herein.

Plus, the villains are something else already.
Tiago
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Ok, Noda gets really overboard with the descriptions of every single item and tradition of the Ainu, I don't need to know every single detail of their way life, gets boring fast, I'm skipping more and more of these as I go.
Sabrina Hall
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, translated, manga
I'm loving this series, even though it can get pretty gruesome sometimes (I'm constantly laughing and cringing by turns as I read each volume), I love the characters, the fight scenes, and the plot always keeps me on the edge of my seat.
Katja
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second volume continues the amazingly information-rich and detailed story about the treasure-hunting soldier with ferocious reputation and the smart and capable Ainu girl.
I know some people might find it heavy read with a lot of "info-dumping" but I just love it. I adore well-researched stories (there's even a reference list at the end!) and I learn so much by reading this manga. But don't worry, it's also entertaining and the story rolls forward, even though slightly slower in this volume.

I
Venesa
literally amazing, makes me laugh and cry. Characters are so loveable while being flawed, artwork is still a sight for sore eyes. Volume 3 im coming for you
Rod Brown
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
More wolf = more better, as this volume surpasses the first in humor, cuteness and gore. And more bear helps too. This is a perfect translation of the American Western to a Japanese setting, evoking for me "The Outlaw Josey Wales," "True Grit," "Dances With Wolves" and "The Unforgiven." Imagine an Ennio Morricone soundtrack and you can throw in Sergio Leone's Spaghetti Westerns too. What fun!
Rebecca
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A big wolf who like belly rubs. Ainu culture and cuisine. Plus another enraged bear, who this time rips a guy's face off. How can you not like this series?

Full review eventually appearing on ANN.
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Really beautiful violent fascinating volume. Art is gorgeous, story intriguing. Can't wait for next volume.
John Jeng
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got to learn a little about Ainu culture through the main character, Asirpa. The miso conversation was funny.
Paul Spence
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
In early 20th century Japan, Saichi Immortal Sugimoto, a veteran of the Russo-Japanese war, is scrapping out a meager existence during the postwar gold rush on the wild frontier of Hokkaido. Sugimoto stumbles upon the first piece of a map leading to a fortune in hidden gold belonging to the Ainu (an indigenous people of Japan and Russia). However, ruthless criminals and rogue Japanese soldiers are also hunting for the gold in the harsh northern wilderness. It will take all Sugimoto's skills and ...more
Tony
Having teamed up in the first book, Russo-Japanese War veteran Saichi Sugimoto and Ainu girl hunter Asirpa continue their search for a hidden cache of stolen gold in the wilderness of of Hokkaido in 1907. Among the things they must contend with in this second installment of the story are a unit of rogue soldiers led by a sadistic commander, bears, and other parties interested in finding the gold.

As in the first book, the tone ranges all over the place, from scenes of extreme graphic violence
John
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For some bizarre reason I waited almost a year to purchase the subsequent volumes of this series after the first. It is easily the best manga being published today. Satoru Noda may play a little loose with the historical chronology, but it all fits. within the same small window of time. The Ainu cultural exposition moments are elucidating without being over-bearing and add greater depth to the setting and story. There is obviously a fair amount of research going into every chapter. I imagine ...more
Arkham Reviews
Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-comics
I am still enjoying this series but do think that it sometimes gets a little bogged down by all the detail. While the depictions of Ainu life are fascinating, the story did stall for the first half of this volume as Noda depicted the life and beliefs of Asirpa's people to the minute detail.

However, this aside, the manga is still compelling. It balances humour with graphic violence, creating a gritty and real feeling story that is only just starting to scrape the surface of the complex politics
Christyn
4/5 Stars

The second volume in the Golden Kamuy series is just as strong as the first. I am really enjoying this series so far, it continues to be richly detailed and researched. This volume finds Sugimoto and Asirpa being tracked by the infamous 7th division, detouring to Asirpas village where we discover more fascinating facts about the Ainu people and culture. We also learn more about Asirpa herself. Retar makes more appearances in this volume as well (he is both adorable and fierce) +
Ally Norris-Sobie
I'm continually blown away by this series. The story is fascinating, as are the historical notes about the Ainu and Japan following the Russo-Japanese war. This volume introduced us to Asirpa more, her family, more of her backstory and how she ended up with Sugimoto.

Plus, the art is wonderful - the action is visceral and bloody but doesn't cross over the line to being outright gore (much), and the facial expressions are wonderful (especially when Sugimoto is trying Ainu delicacies...).

I need to
Daisy
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Quality Rating: Four Stars
Enjoyment Rating: Three Stars

What I loved so much about the first volume of this series was its blend of narrative and informative storytelling about the Ainu. But this time, a good half of the volume felt like a history lesson with very little progress in the actual story - and while I loved learning about the Ainu culture again, there wasn't enough of a balance with a narrative. Once things started moving again I fell right in, but it took longer than I'd have liked
Trevor Kew
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kewjapan, kew-f
Another great entry in this series, with even more historical information about the Ainu, Hokkaido, and late Meiji Japan. Reading this manga in Japanese was fairly easy and enjoyable except for some of the military vocabulary!

The scenes in the Ainu village (I think that was this issue...) were some of my favourite, especially those with the grandmother and the rest of the young Ainu girl's family. And the "onma"/miso joke is a fun one!

bi nerd
Adam Spanos
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, viz
Yes, it's that good. Unique, especially in a time when Western comics can only manage superhero one track drivel and liberal trolling.

The story is a Japanese 'The Good, The Bad and The Ugly' and is especially brilliant in it's portrayal of a Native Ainu heroine (*not a lot of people know that the original inhabitants of Japan were not Japanese).
Shy Kuzonoha
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga-collection
Vol. 2 slows things down a bit, to give us some character development and cultural world building. I found myself enthralled into some of the character cultural backgrounds, which kept me reading to the end.
Mollie
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This continues to be great, but it's also kind of hilarious how close to treads to educational children's programming with the amount of helpful explanatory asides about the world. Granted, balancing that with images of a man having his face ripped off by a bear is pretty fun.
Noninuna
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Still enjoyed the series tho the plot has thicken considerably. And I've learned so much by one single volume of manga than one whole book of literature about the culture and their minority group.
Anne
Otherwise good, but the gruesome violence puts me off.
Elenora
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is getting better by the page.
Aleksandra
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I came here for manga about hunt to find gold in post Russo-Japanese Hokkaido, but stayed for excellent character dynamics, wonderful food content and awesome art.
Angelika Fuller
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I definitely enjoyed it more than the first. That bear scene though!
Chelsey
Not *quite* as action-packed as the first volume, this one beefs up the Ainu culture/history. Still a big fan of these characters, but I'm looking forward to a bit more plot movement in volume 3.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add publicarion date to this book 3 11 Jul 30, 2017 05:23AM

• 極主夫道 2 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #2)
  • 不滅のあなたへ 6 [Fumetsu no Anata e 6] (To Your Eternity, #6)
  • ダンジョン飯 6 [Dungeon Meshi 6] (Delicious in Dungeon, #6)
  • ダンジョン飯 3 [Dungeon Meshi 3] (Delicious in Dungeon, #3)
  • ダンジョン飯 5 [Dungeon Meshi 5] (Delicious in Dungeon, #5)
  • ダンジョン飯 2 [Dungeon Meshi 2] (Delicious in Dungeon, #2)
  • ダンジョン飯 4 [Dungeon Meshi 4] (Delicious in Dungeon, #4)
  • BEASTARS 2 (Beastars, #2)
  • 不滅のあなたへ 7 [Fumetsu no Anata e 7] (To Your Eternity, #7)
  • BEASTARS 1 (Beastars, #1)
  • ダンジョン飯 1 [Dungeon Meshi 1] (Delicious in Dungeon, #1)
  • 極主夫道 1 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #1)
  • Les Enfants de la Baleine, Tome 1 (Les enfants de la Baleine, #1)
  • 不滅のあなたへ 2 [Fumetsu no Anata e 2] (To Your Eternity, #2)
  • 不滅のあなたへ 8 [Fumetsu no Anata e 8] (To Your Eternity, #8)
  • しまなみ誰そ彼 1 [Shimanami Tasogare 1]
  • 不滅のあなたへ 4 [Fumetsu no Anata e 4] (To Your Eternity, #4)
  • To Your Eternity, tome 1 (To Your Eternity, #1)
Satoru Noda (野田サトル, Noda Satoru) is a japanese mangaka.

ゴールデンカムイ [Golden Kamuy] (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • ゴールデンカムイ 1