Start by marking “Golden Kamuy, Vol. 1 (Golden Kamuy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Golden Kamuy, Vol. 1 (Golden Kamuy, #1)

Golden Kamuy, Vol. 1

( ゴールデンカムイ [Golden Kamuy] #1)

A tale of high adventure and survival on the Japanese frontier!

In the early 20th century, Russo-Japanese War veteran Saichi Sugimoto searches the wilderness of the Japanese frontier of Hokkaido for a hoard of hidden gold. With only a cryptic map and a native Ainu girl to help him, Saichi must also deal with every murderous cutthroat, bandit and rogue who knows about the
Published June 20th 2017 by VIZ Media LLC (first published January 19th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Golden Kamuy, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Golden Kamuy, Vol. 1

Start your review of Golden Kamuy, Vol. 1 (Golden Kamuy, #1)
Jokoloyo
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jokoloyo by: mei
Some excellent manga works have strong research background and present setting with rich details in setting, and sometimes the details influence the plot too. Golden Kamuy is one of those manga works.

The setting is one of the most exotic that I have found in this manga. The time is in early 20th century after Russo-Japanese War, the place is in Hokkaido Island, especially in wilderness of the island. The plot's background involves Ainu people, and one of the main characters is an Ainu girl. I
Shannon
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of A Bride's Story or To Your Eternity
Shelves: manga, historical, seinen
Surprisingly enjoyable for a historical tale about the gold rush in Hokkaido at the end of the Meiji era.

Updated below

So I'm up to volume 4 right now and I'm probably not going to review any other books in this series just because honestly, they're all about the same quality, which is good. I really want to point out something though, that if you've read/liked A Bride's Story this would be a perfect series to also check out. Wonderful art, special care made for historical details, and great
Tiago
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, mystery, historical
Some of the best manga art I've seen yet, and a pretty engaging story, a real page turner.
Andrea
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Read April 27, 2016

Really cool historical graphic novel set in northern Japan after the end of Russo-Japanese war. A veteran soldier called Sugimoto the Immortal and an Ainu girl team up to find escaped prisoners whose bodies are covered with tattoos that hold the key to the secret gold stash. Each of them is on this journey for reasons of their own.

I really enjoyed this volume, especially since I spent some time in Hokkaido and certain places are familiar to me. It was fun to learn that Otaru
Melissa
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had to emergency read this (the usual Manga Book Club bookseller had something come up). It's pretty intriguing - although very graphically violent. I like the two main characters Saichi and Asirpa (and all the cultural bits about the Ainu people) and their hunt for the hidden gold so I may actually read more of this series.
Andrew
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, manga
Saichi is a veteran of the Russo-Japanese War who is very good at killing. Asirpa is an Ainu girl who is very good at surviving. The two team up to retrieve gold that was stolen from Asirpa's clan, fighting off bandits, soldiers, and the harsh elements of the Hokkaido wilderness. This is a fast-paced and at times gruesome adventure story, seemingly inspired by American Westerns. The details about Ainu hunting and cooking practices are welcome, as is the relationship between the two leads, which ...more
RG
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is some amazing art but I seem to be so so on tbe historical story.
José Antonio Gutiérrez Guevara
Good entertainment, I hope the rest of the story is the same or better.
Alexandra
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Japan after the Russo-Japanese war, stories of indigenous people and gold rush!
Kristine
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, manga
Golden Kamuy is one of my favorite manga of all time. The somewhat weird and childish humor and attention to details when it comes to the historical interpretation are splendid. It's creative, and I've never seen anything like it before. It's truly an original story and surprisingly compelling to read considering how numerous scenes are dedicated to "dry" historical and cultural context. One might think this slows down the plot, but somehow it only adds to the vibe in a positive way. The strange ...more
Noninuna
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really appreciate it when I was looking for a light read, I also able to learn something new. Golden Kamuy use Ainu language, which originally spoken by Ainu people, the ingenious people of Hokkaido, Japan. That is something new & interesting for me because I didn't know that Japan has an ingenious group to begin with. Not only that, there's a lot of little tidbit about Ainu and their ways to navigate nature that make the manga more appealing.

The story itself is really fast paced, the art

Angelia Katsianos
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was right up my alley - I love historical fiction, and this has an interesting storyline, complex characters and it seems really well researched to the extent of my knowledge.
Derek Royal
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the historical and realistic emphasis of this narrative. I'll definitely continue on with the series.
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Fantastic manga. Beautiful art, interesting story. Highly recommend. It is violently graphic fyi.
Aaron S
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part Quentin Tarantino-esque violence drenched adventurer story, part slice-of-life survival story, part educational analysis of the little known Ainu culture, part cook book. Golden Kamui is an utterly unique comic and it manages to establish its tone without diving into the typical "anime weirdness" that can often be off-putting and generally lazy. Instead of coming up with bizarre and fantastical plot-points and abilities for his characters mangaka Noda delves deep into actual history and ...more
Tony
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Although I read a reasonable amount of graphic novels, I've never really gotten into manga -- but when I heard about a series that featured a veteran of the Russo-Japanese War seeking a hidden cache of gold, I had to track it down. One reason I've shied away from manga is that the artwork is often too simple or too stylized for my taste. Having been raised on the clear lines and realistic settings of European comics, that's what I gravitate to. But this manga is crisp and clear, and even in the ...more
Alan
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I was wanting to try some new manga, and there are some things Noda does really well here. It's just not interesting enough, for me, to stick around for more.

And, that's because in some ways this is a caper story (i.e. Ocean's 11). That sub-genre doesn't do much for me. Eventually someone is going to their hands on the loot and either 1) The story is over or 2) It becomes about the loot changing hands until it ends up in the "right" person's possession.

The likes include the artwork and
Arkham Reviews
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-comics
I wasn't sure what to expect with this one but really did enjoy this first volume. The story was quick to catch me in, catching my attention from the outset with its clear artwork and summary of the premise - a man's quest to locate a hidden fortune. From here, the story was quick to set the scene and introduce two protagonists that were very easy to like.

Yet the thing that I found most interesting about this volume was its historical accuracy. The tale is littered with interesting facts, both
Selena
Off to a promising start.

Golden Kamuy follows a former soldier and an Ainu girl who are on a quest to find former convicts to get clues to find a large sum of gold. So far, it feels more like a hardcore camping manga with hunting, trapping, and cooking over the fire than a quest to find treasure, though there's enough of their quest going on that you don't forget what their goal is.

It's a slightly different spin on the above mentioned quest/camping/food manga, since this takes place during a
I enjoyed this title and could see myself reading the rest of the series. It's a little disjointed, because it switches not only between present and past events, but those of the main characters and side characters with some explanatory sections about Japanese history, Ainu culture, etc. The search for gold ties the chapters together, but acts more as a frame for these smaller vignettes, at least in the first volume. I'm a sucker for a non-creepy, non-sexual team-up between a spunky, competent ...more
Jaded Reader
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: may-2019-tbr
This was excellent! I'm beyond intrigued to continue. I have visited Japan but have not made my way up to Hokkaido. I now, more than ever, feel like I have to go. I loved the Ainu survival elements and the agency and power of our female co-lead. The two MC really balance each other out and I adored their conversations as well as this plot being off the wall interesting.

Rollin
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating initial volume into what feels like a heavily researched world. Setting this in the aftermath of the Russo-Japanese War is basically forcing a ton of historical fiction into a book that didn't necessarily need it -- and it pays off.

Incredibly violent and graphic, there beats a heart in this book that cannot be torn out and eaten.
Markéta Effenbergerová
Whisper sweetly into my ear in Ainu language. Share some gory stories about how you survived Russo-Japanese War. Let's talk tattoos and hidden treasures. ♥

Kuča/kuća/kuca means the same in czech/serbo-croatian/some other slavic languages AND IN AINU GO HOME LINGUISTICS, YOU'RE DRUNK.
Nelson
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
A well researched historical fiction manga with a great mix of tension and humor. I especially loved all the hunting and survivalist themes, and learning about Ainu culture.

Score: a tentative 9/10
Perusing Panels
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic start to this series! Great art, intriguing characters and fascinating historical setting. really looking forward to seeing where this goes next.
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it

I really liked this. It's a scavenger hunt for gold and tattooed ex-cons, rolled into a survival story. I would have died the first night sleeping in the snow of Hokkaido.
Imane
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm back on my manga bullshit and I'm loving it. Saichi and Asirpa are a cute team but I'm already scared for them lol
Kentaro
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read it in japanese before, it was interesting, but difficult even I am Japanese. After that when I read it in English, it was very difficult as I thought. To enjoy the content into detail, I hardly recommend that to beginner.
Kahlil Kinser
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't expecting much going into this series. While at times they story does edge a little too far off to the side of the fantastic, it grounds itself repeatedly with it's characters and overall plot. The action can be a bit gruesome at times too, but overall it's caught my interest.
brightredglow
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Golden Kamuy by Satoru Noda came recommended by my son. He said it had great artwork and an intriguing, fast-paced story.

I think he was under-selling it because this first volume is fantastic. Set in Hokkaido after the Russo-Russian war, war veteran Saichi "Immortal" Sugimoto is desperate to get some money. He has a reason that he's scrounging in Hokkaido for some gold that has been long gone. Observing him is a strange drunken old man who proceeds to tell him a story about Ainu gold. Sugimoto
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Incomplete publication date 3 15 Aug 15, 2017 01:57AM

• BEASTARS 1 (Beastars, #1)
  • 不滅のあなたへ 6 [Fumetsu no Anata e 6] (To Your Eternity, #6)
  • ダンジョン飯 1 [Dungeon Meshi 1] (Delicious in Dungeon, #1)
  • 不滅のあなたへ 7 [Fumetsu no Anata e 7] (To Your Eternity, #7)
  • BLACK TORCH 1 (BLACK TORCH, #1)
  • BEASTARS 2 (Beastars, #2)
  • Dr.STONE 2 (Dr. Stone, #2)
  • ダンジョン飯 6 [Dungeon Meshi 6] (Delicious in Dungeon, #6)
  • Les Enfants de la Baleine, Tome 1 (Les enfants de la Baleine, #1)
  • 不滅のあなたへ 4 [Fumetsu no Anata e 4] (To Your Eternity, #4)
  • 不滅のあなたへ 9 [Fumetsu no Anata e 9] (To Your Eternity, #9)
  • 極主夫道 1 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #1)
  • 不滅のあなたへ 5 [Fumetsu no Anata e 5] (To Your Eternity, #5)
  • 不滅のあなたへ 8 [Fumetsu no Anata e 8] (To Your Eternity, #8)
  • 極主夫道 2 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #2)
  • 不滅のあなたへ 2 [Fumetsu no Anata e 2] (To Your Eternity, #2)
  • Dr.STONE 1 (Dr. Stone, #1)
  • 不滅のあなたへ 3 [Fumetsu no Anata e 3] (To Your Eternity, #3)
Satoru Noda (野田サトル, Noda Satoru) is a japanese mangaka.

ゴールデンカムイ [Golden Kamuy] (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • ゴールデンカムイ 2