Start by marking “Sweet Blue Flowers, Vol. 1 (Sweet Blue Flowers Omnibus, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sweet Blue Flowers, Vol. 1 (Sweet Blue Flowers Omnibus, #1)

Sweet Blue Flowers, Vol. 1

(Sweet Blue Flowers Omnibus #1)

Akira Okudaira is starting high school and is ready for exciting new experiences. And on the first day of school, she runs into her best friend from kindergarten at the train station! Now Akira and Fumi have the chance to rekindle their friendship, but life has gotten a lot more complicated since they were kids…

Fumi is glad Akira is back in her life. Even in ki
Published September 19th 2017 by VIZ Media LLC

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Blue Flowers, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Blue Flowers, Vol. 1

Start your review of Sweet Blue Flowers, Vol. 1 (Sweet Blue Flowers Omnibus, #1)
Rod Brown
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, sweet is the perfect word for this little story of romance and friendship at two neighboring all-girls schools. I really love the lead characters. I wish I had the second volume right now.

p.s. I didn't realize this was by the same creator as Wandering Son, Vol. 1 until I read the other reviews here after writing my own. I liked that series a lot, and this one is even better!
Online Eccentric Librarian
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, arc, manga

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Sweet Blue Flowers is a gentle slice of life following two main characters: Fumi (shy, emotional) and Akira (outgoing, kind). The girls were friends in kindergarten, separated for 12 years, and have had the opportunity to meet again thanks to the families being in the same town again. Both attend girls schools in Kamakura and both are about to embark on the twisted path of teen love - both requited and unrequited.

Fumi is very emotional, cries often, and unsure of hers
taz
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's a really sweet story! Takako Shimura writes (and illustrates!) LGBT+ fiction without the fetishization and concept of "sinfulness" that permeates the yaoi and yuri genres. The main characters are kids, and they act as kids would. They're unsure of themselves and have a hard time managing their emotions. Plus, the art style is really nice!
More Bedside Books
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Takako Shimura’s Sweet Blue Flowers is a series that has been a long time coming in English. The comic focusing on reunited childhood friends is part slice-of-life with daily activities of schoolgirls such as commuting, afterschool café visits along with school clubs and festivals, while also a drama in the form of disclosures, crushes, dating, and family dynamics. The title served as good material for a partial animated adaptation that was released in English in 2013 as well. The series also ha ...more
Amber
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh heck, I don't know what's come over me, but I'm reading manga all over again. (And to be fair, they're all so very short and easy to binge on)

Sweet Blue Flowers I immediately jumped on, because, hello YURI!! (Alright more shoujo-ai, but we'll get to that). Back in my day, those stories were so far and few in-between, but it seems like more f/f stories are coming out more. Or maybe I'm just optimistic? Still, the stories revolve around high school, and I'm starting to feel too old to treat
Alexa
Aug 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
The flow and plot of the book felt disjointed and I couldn't really understand the characters. Also, what is with Japanese mangaka and writing incest? One of the main characters has the hots for her cousin, another series called "Honey So Sweet" has the main female in love with her uncle for a while...sorry, can't do incest. I know it is legal in Japan for cousins to marry, but science, specifically biology, has proven that cousin mating still causes genetic issues, not mention the fact that the ...more
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
I liked this and it is very queer, but it had some issues that I can't tell whether it is me disliking a character or me disliking the craft. I will most likely read more. Art is gentle and pretty. There are some real cute and touching scenes.
Shawna (BacchusVines)
Yuri manga! WxW!

This was so cute!! I love Akira so much!! And Fumi is more like me than any of the other characters. And I love how open Sugimoto's family was to her dating. I expect nothing less from the author of The Wandering Son! c:
Groovy
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
it's cute! a little boring for my tastes tho.
Juushika
Review & rating stand for the series entire. Childhood friends are reunited when they begin high school, and this follows the social lives and romances of a cast across two high schools, structured loosely around interschool drama productions. Almost everything that can go wrong with this structure does: the cast is difficult to keep track of, sideplots peter out, and the plays take up too many valuable panels. The real culprit is the transitions, which are incredibly abrupt, particularly in ...more
Bryan
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Extremely adorable coming of age story. I really enjoyed that the romantic aspect of the story focused on the developing of a crush and the dating. My favorite part of this book though is the friendship between the two main characters. I wasn’t expecting that because when I initially bought this I thought the romance was going to be with them. So, I love cute romances and good friendships and this book delivered both of those. Will definitely be acquiring the other volumes!
Cecelia
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-read, favorites
I'M OBSESSED THIS IS THE CUTEST
Claire
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqia-comics, manga
Crying real tears over this book
Sans
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia, manga, favourites
Sweet, slow, and a little childish. Very much a shoujo manga with a yuri twist.
Connie
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This whole manga is stunning. Full review over on my blog!
Denise
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: gnmc2018
It took me about a third of the book and reading two reviews to get the characters straight. There are differences in the way they're drawn and it's enough to confuse me. Was I this confused when I started reading comics in the 90s and everyone really did look the same?

Anyway. This is a slow story and sweeter than I expected. Akira and Fumi where friends as children and they meet up again after Fumi's family moves back to town. As children, Akira helped out the quiet Fumi and they pi
Deltora
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This series is great. Its beautiful art shows off an amazingly accepting story about relationships of many kinds, it talks about how lines can blur and what what once a close friendship can become something else or just how unexpected a crush can be and how that can totally rock your world.

Ii'm kind of reviewing the whole series in this review and i just really enjoyed it, all the characters and well flushed out and even a girl you've seen in maybe 4 scenes has a very distinct person
April
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, lgbt
Disclaimer: This book found me in a Japanese bookstore talking to a girl about how much we were both exasperated with f/f manga. She pointed out Sweet Blue Flowers as an example of a more refreshing, realistic approach to yuri so I grabbed it and here we are. Having finished Vol 1, I owe her my thanks.

If I'm being totally honest, I think most f/f manga is amateur. It borders on sleazy with mind-numbing narratives and even worse characters. I can never tell whether the direction will be towards pleasin
Ken Yuen
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-read
A cute manga from the author of Wandering Son. Another pretty slice-of-life film with romances and heartbreaks across the spectrum. It's pleasant enough to read, but it can be hard to follow the large cast of characters.

One problem that's my own fault was that I mistakenly assumed all the characters went to the same school (different school names and uniforms, not sure how that happened). So when I realized my mistake a third into the book, I had to start over.

I think I h
S
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Disappointingly boring. One girl's defining characteristic is that she cries. (Really?) I feel like I can't tell all of the characters apart, and the plot just feels... pointless. A part of me wants to continue reading the series, for reasons even I can't identify. The other wanted to DNF this book at chapter 3/4, and is just happy I finished this book. How I proceed remains to be seen. 1.7*
Roo
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I cried at one scene between the two main characters.
I love how sexuality is portrayed, how they actually manage to say the words lesbian and bisexual, how it's complicated, and how the feelings of the characters seem so real to me.

Fumi is so scared of coming across as predatory or gross to Akira but she also has sexual feelings that are so natural and it just feels like a very real, teenage story.

I have always loved Takako Shimura, ever since I read Wandering Son, Vol. 1 and watched the animes. After
Katherine Long
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Status: Complete
Format: Print

I liked this first omnibus more than I thoughts was going to. A quick run down on my thoughts:

Good and bad:
1. The art is simple but enjoyable
2. The connection between characters echos real life by being messy and not totally straight forward but it does slow a reader down trying remember the connections
3. The book is read in the traditional manga way but the translation seems off and they dropped the honorifics whi
Cy
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, lgbtq
very pretty and chill. the watercolor pages were especially beautiful. I usually love slice-of-life manga, but I didn't understand some of the characters' motivations in this???? (view spoiler)

also, there were some f
David Doel
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it
There are 4 physical volumes to this set; each of those consists of two smaller volumes. The primary story gets only occasional attention in these volumes -- I didn't try to count how many other stories were included, but it was way too many. To make matters worse, the staging of three plays is included in the story. Manga does not offer enough text for this to work and pictures don't fix the problem.

I didn't feel the primary story was properly resolved at the end of the 4th volume;
Forest
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's beautiful. I love how it deals with coming out and unrequited love, which a lot of yuri seems to ignore. It also has bisexual representation, rather than all the characters just all being lesbians and guys not making an appearance at all, which made me smile. The entire thing was just kind of nice and heartwarming.
Some criticisms: Within this volume at least, the relationship between Fumi and Akira wasn't developed to the level it could've been, focusing more on the relationship betwe
Ruthsic
Sweet Blue Flowers is a contemporary romance manga with a strong focus on f/f relationships. Fumi, a lesbian, is starting to get over a long crush with a new relationship. The introduction of her childhood friend, Akira, back into her life marks a change for her. With new acquaintances, and new club activities, she meets another girl who is interested in her. But Yasuko has her own baggage when it comes to love, and though they like each other, her previous feelings start to drive a wedge in the ...more
Donna
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Akira and Fumi, former best friends in kindergarten, are reunited and continue their friendship.

This is a love triangle-rectangle that I don't completely follow. Fumi is broken up that her former girlfriend left her for a man (but I'm not sure they were really girlfriends) but falls in love with another girl but then maybe isn't but there's a different girl who also loves Fumi's girl. I don't really like this when it's girl-boy so I'm also not going to like it when it's girl-girl. Th
Christine Doiron
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This was just not for me. I like what it’s trying to say and to do for young readers who might be worried about or questioning their own sexuality. But I found it boring honestly. Very sweet, maybe almost too sweet.

I am bothered a bit by the seemingly inappropriate interest Akira’s older brother has for her. I don’t see other reviewers concerned about this, and I can’t figure out why. He crawls unwanted into her bed, seems to force his attentions on her, and is really worried about losing her a
jasmine
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
*2.5 stars*
this book was enjoyable and I really appreciated the f/f rep, but I felt quite uncomfortable at the appearances of more taboo subjects such as incest, a little-too-dramatic teacher crush, along with some confusing pedophilia sprinkled in there. I'd say if you're looking for a light read with problematic and taboo topics, read this manga, but overall, I'm sorry to say I didn't love it as much as I thought I would. (though the basketball player girl was hella cute and I'd low-key
LGBTQ Manga Book ...: September 2017 Announcement! 1 6 Aug 13, 2017 02:11PM

• Bloom into You, Vol. 2
  • やがて君になる 1 (Yagate Kimi ni Naru, #1)
  • エプロンと加瀬さん。
  • Ipomoea
  • I Married My Best Friend to Shut My Parents Up
  • Hana & Hina After School Vol. 2
  • Kase-san and Shortcake
  • After Hours, Vol. 1 (After Hours, #1)
  • Bloom into You, Vol. 6
  • Éclair: Anata ni Hibiku Yuri Anthology
  • Hana & Hina After School Vol. 1
  • Yuri Is My Job! 1
  • Whenever Our Eyes Meet...: A Women's Love Anthology
  • Hana & Hina After School Vol. 3
Takako Shimura is a manga artist primarily known for her manga works published in Japan which feature LGBT (especially about lesbian and transgender) topics. Originally from Kanagawa, she now resides in Tokyo.