Start by marking “Megatokyo, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Megatokyo, Volume 1

Megatokyo, Volume 1

(MegaTokyo #1)

This re-issue of this highly successful Megatokyo Volume 1 brings fans a new and revised version of the book with improved print quality and a larger trim size. This book will contain all the comics from Chapter 0 as well as the running editorial comments featured in the original release. Exclusive to the Dark Horse reissue will be additional drawings, historical notes, an ...more
Published April 13th 2004 by Dark Horse (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Megatokyo, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Megatokyo, Volume 1

Worm by Wildbowxkcd by Randall MunroeHark! A Vagrant by Kate BeatonGunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas SiddellHarry Potter and the Methods of Rationality by Eliezer Yudkowsky
Best of the Web
349 books — 444 voters
Nimona by Noelle StevensonGunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas SiddellHark! A Vagrant by Kate Beatonxkcd by Randall MunroeAva's Demon by Michelle Czajkowski
Webcomics
385 books — 207 voters

More lists with this book...

Selena
Ah... Megatokyo... The story of two morons who went to Japan. Largo, with his loose grip on reality, and Piro, the levelheaded guy who can speak Japanese but doesn't quite understand what's going on. It's kind of like Big Bang Theory, but with more otaku, and it came first.

Good for laughs, but sometimes it gets serious. I didn't care as much for the serious stuff. I always looked forward to Largo and his strange thing (yes, I'm shallow :P). Forget Piro and his romantic troubles with three differ
Mario
Jan 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anime fans and art fans
Shelves: anime
Megatokyo is an online web comic, and this is the first collection of those comics. Since this is the first group of panels, you will get a good introduction to each of the characters. And while the story may not be nail-biting suspenseful, the characters will keep you reading.

Also, the art is fantastic! To me it is better then the Sailor Moon style anime most people are used to. The characters look as detailed the stories they are involved in. And if you end up liking the art more then the stor
melydia
Dec 16, 2016 rated it liked it
The only reason I've heard of this long-running webcomic is because my husband has been friends with Fred Gallagher for umpteen years. This is the story of two Americans, Piro and Largo, who accidentally get themselves stranded in Tokyo. It's a fantasy - all the characters have real-life analogs - and in a lot of the early comics I felt like I was missing some inside jokes. I appreciated the commentary at the bottom of the earliest strips, even if there were some times when it was assumed the pe ...more
Lindsey
Jun 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: YA/anyone
Shelves: summer-2k8
Piro and Largo attempt to go to a gaming convention and in an attempt to make Largo see things his way Piro takes him to Japan. Except when they get there they have no money to get home. So they are then stuck in Japan with no definable way to get home since they keep spending their money on video games. They are socially awkward and have no skills with women which makes this an enjoyable and entertaining read.
Gwen
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've been reading Megatokyo for around ten years now and it still brings me joy. If you have a passing interest in manga, games, and light hearted romance plots this series is wonderful.
Julie
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
(rating/review for the entire series to date)

ah, good old Megatokyo.

Megatokyo is supposedly one of the most successful webcomics to exist though I read it in book format. the series is essentially about otaku and gamer nerds--tons of gamer jokes as well as anime puns. l337 anyone?

Megatokyo, though looking like manga, isn't really. it's American made thus not truly a Japanese product. so if you have a disdain towards anime/manga but are still curious, Megatokyo might be a nice place to start thou
Taylor
Feb 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
So, I just found out that Fred Gallagher lives in Ann Arbor...woo hoo!
Anyway, I picked this up randomly at the library and I was hooked. I didn't realize it was a webcomic at first. I have read a bit of the series online but I actually enjoy reading it in print form more. The print volume, especially the first volume, gives you a lot of extra info [and rants] and is perfect for a megatokyo newbie.
The story is basically the randomly wonderful zombie, manga and video game filled adventures of Pir
Ryan
Jan 31, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Apparently this is one of the longest running and most successful webcomics of the past decade, although I'd never heard of it before picking it up at the library.

It was ...meh. The art style switched halfway through, from an interesting four-panel square layout to a more generic manga one; the characters weren't really developed very much throughout it, and the humour fell flat more often than not. It could just be that, while I've been a life-long fan of video games, I've never been a "gamer"
Adam
Nov 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Manga Fans, Japanophiles, Adventure Seekers
Obviously the books are only for die-hard fans, as the material is all available for free online, but Megatokyo holds a special place in my heart.

I hesitate to call this manga because of the art style, but I guess that's what it is. It's American manga.
Most manga that I come across is frustratingly sappy, or too juvenile, or too violent, or devoid of plot.

but Megatokyo is always funny, always intriguing and makes me beg for more after each read.

And then I discover only one comic is released eve
Aperoki
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Really takes me back. This was a different time but we had the same dreams. This lousy and maudlin wish fulfillment webcomic-that-made-it delivered at the time, but is of mostly historical interest for now.
Sean
Jun 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Yes
Recommended to Sean by: No one
Where the Saga begins. It follows are two nerds (Largo and Ping) through their misadventures in a Tokyo Japan that on those that a true "otaku" could understand. Was fist a web-comic now in paperback.
Teeny
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
What happens when you put a moron and an otaku together
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 Stars.

I used to read Megatokyo ages ago, and I remember loving the series at the time. That’s why I decided to do a read through of the printed version (I had read it as it released in webcomic form) for my next round of Throwback Thursday reviews.
For those that haven’t heard of Megatokyo, it’s predominantly about two guys (aka idiots) whom are basically otaku and how they got themselves trapped in Japan. Their odd and hilarious nature has a way of constantly getting them wrapped up in
Claire
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I am reading the print versions of everything the MegaTokyo people produced to catch all the after-the-fact messages. Why I didn't read these when I was 10 like it seems everyone else in my peer group did is beyond me. (The series came out at the millennium change.)

The art style, in my opinion, needed a bit of refining, at this point in the artists' careers. However, I laughed out loud several times. I am appreciative that the editors haven't just copy-pasted the site into the book then left it
Dominic
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is basically many webcomics put together to make one great story, with many jokes and references, which I did like about this series. The basic story is that 2 friends visit Tokyo and accidently spend all their money, which means they can't get back to America. This situation spawns many other funny situations. Now with the story out of the way let me talk about the characters, note; I'll be very basic about the two main characters. Piro is one of the two main characters, He is fairly ...more
Ανδρέας Μιχαηλίδης
A very weird, geek-centric and quite fun series, especially in the beginning. It was intensely based on the American fandom's concept of Japan from 20 years ago (hard to believe it's been that long...), but along the way its characters proved surprisingly complex, even the blunt and often unsympathetic Largo.

The webcomic continues to this day, although I find I cannot convince myself to read 8 years of installments (after the apparently final, 6th volume to be published in hardcopy).

Besides, as
Mandi Lynn
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a great intro book to the world of Megatoko. I originally started reading it online, and then discovered they were compiling the webcomics into graphic novels. This gives you a good intro to the two main characters, Piro and Largo, and the assortment of misfits that enter their orbit in Tokyo.
Tiffany LaShay
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
This manga/comic wasn't what I thought it was going to be for some reason. In the beginning, the author(s) took way too much time to explain the why it was created. I also didn't like all the explaining at the bottom. By the time it started to be included in the story, I didn't care to go back and read it. Maybe I will try this book again in the future, but I didn't even want to finish it.
Adrienne Organa
A little too weird for my personal taste, but it was chuckle worthy in a couple places.
.·:*¨ × Shannon♥Loving Like Woe × ¨*:
I originally read this online years ago but it was nice to reread in book form. I like the extras, Fred's art has always been one of my favorites.
Misa Niranon
Oct 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Anna
Nov 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Getting into this book was pretty hard, but once I did, I found myself enjoying it a lot. However, I don't think having a series of webcomics in a book benefitted me, because there was commentary and fun extras that I, just being introduced to this world and this concept, wasn't that in to. It was an extension to a world that I didn't care about. Nonetheless, I liked it. The art was simple, but worked really well, some of the ideas were cool, and it was funny.

It was also educational, as I know
Sereneblaze
Megatokyo is a bit of a random, punny webcomic series that follow two American otakus who after a series of mishaps end up stuck in Japan having to learn how to fend themselves. Soon the comic series does gain more of a manga feel vs the it's original comic strip start.

Both Largo and Piro are fun and interesting characters... in their own very distinct way.

A lot happens in Megatokyo. There's quite a bit of storylines going on that sometimes it's kinda hard to keep track of all them.

However it'
Ash Durrett
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
For one of my first paperback manga, I really enjoyed it. The story is cute with great characters and it is originally English so you read it left to right! (manga readers will understand). Anyways, it follows a story of two nerds, Largo and Piro, as they buy one way tickets to Japan for an E2 convention and end up not having enough money to get home. With the realism and some absurdities this manga packs just the right mix of funny and charming into a story. Plus, it is also an on going web com ...more
Kay
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This series is very entertaining. This first volume is a bit more uneven than the following ones, because the author was still working out the character, plot, style, and all the rest, so I'd recommend reading at least the first two volumes to make your decision. I'm exceedingly glad I took it home from the library, even though the bare outline of the story didn't seem like a guaranteed fit for me. But I found it to be a lot of fun right from the start.
Christine
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
A quick entertaining read about two nerds trying to successfully live their lives. If you are a gamer and into anime, the humor and concepts are quite relatable. I forget how funny gamer humor can be in the right situation. The side comments about each segment is another comic all on its own. I thought I would get tired of it, but it really added to the story. It was nice to have all three of my hobbies rolled into one: gaming, anime, and reading. Can't wait to start the next book!
Rickie
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished-reading
One of my favorite manga series of all time. The art is great that only gets better with each volume, combined with the growth of characters and their artwork reflects said growth. There are characters that just cling to you, and there might be characters that just rub you off the wrong way, but every scene in each page is delightful to read, and this is one series I keep on following online and loyally await for the next print to keep supporting the series.
carl
Mar 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
this manga is the fun romp kind. as the series progresses there are some quite touching moments though and the reader should keep their heart and eyes open.
i have the feeling that there is a lot of fred (the author) in this series. if that's the case he's the kind of guy id like to end up stranded in tokyo with (the base for the plot).
ladywallingford
May 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Hooked from the first comic...

*******************************

Oddly enough, when I originally read this book, I had every intention of starting the second one soon after. I never did. Finally, when I did feel the itch to read the series again, I felt I had to re-read the first book. I'm still hooked. I love the creators' sense of humor.
Jorge Giménez
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good art, and interesting characters help drive the story along. Volume 1 does see some change as the author changes the format to a more manga style, but it's for the best.

The fact that the two main characters are gamers lost in Japan is great, but also how all the characters are introduced and how they all have their own lives adds to the story.
Webcomic Wonderland: August - MegaTokyo 7 10 Aug 06, 2013 05:10AM
no such thing 1 10 Nov 09, 2007 09:24AM

• Love Hina, Vol. 03
  • The Warsun Prophecies (Penny Arcade, #3)
  • Dramacon, Vol. 2
  • Azumanga Daioh, Vol. 2 (Azumanga Daioh, #2)
  • R.O.D. Read or Die 4 (R.O.D. Read or Die, #4)

MegaTokyo (6 books)