Start by marking “Stone and Shell” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  52 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Eight-year-old Howie Evinger is convinced that his dad would be happier if he found a new husband. Howie would be happier, too. And somewhere out there in the city of Vancouver, there's the right man for his dad to love. But how to find him? That’s a problem, especially if you’re just a kid and your dad says he doesn’t want another husband.

With the help of his quirky aunt,
Published November 28th 2016 by NineStar Press

To ask other readers questions about Stone and Shell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stone and Shell

really liked it 4.00  ·

Mark
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-fiction
For a very short story I just loved the whole idea of this book. An M/M romance with a twist or different perspective. The romance here is seen through the eyes of eight year old Howie who wants nothing more than to find a husband for his dad.

Lloyd Meeker does a wonderful job in creating a narrative so we can see the world through the eyes of an eight year old. This in itself is a wonderful piece of writing. As an adult we are regressed in age and see through the eyes of child where magic really
Ami
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ami by: Didi
A heartwarming and cute holiday shorts that grabbed me from the very start.

What makes this one different from the rest of the holiday stories I've read so far is that Stone and Shell is written from Howie Evinger, an eight-year-old son of David, whose sole intention for this year's solstice is to find a husband for his Dad.

It was such a sweet and lovely and touching gesture. I couldn't help to root for him, and waited as impatiently as Howie, for his Dad to find another love.

It didn't matter
Samantha
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-read
Full disclosure, I am completely biased. I was lucky enough to edit this story.

Nevertheless, I can tell you this story was completely charming. This book was different from any other I've read before and is told from the POV of a young boy, Howie. Like many children, he just wants his dad to be happy, and for him that means finding a new husband. With childlike curiosity (and at times impatience), Howie makes a little magic for his dad.

Sweet, simple story that left me feeling warm and cozy.
Ulysses Dietz
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
By Lloyd A. Meeker, 2016
Nine Star Press
Cover by Natasha Snow
Five stars

A seasonal short story focused not on Christmas, but on the Winter Solstice, the darkest night of the year. The Winter Solstice’s association with the Christian celebration of Christ’s birthday is not accidental: Roman Christians moving into northern parts of Europe co-opted the pagan solstice to make their newly-adopted religion more palatable to its involuntary adherents. The Winter Solstice is that moment of
Breann
4.5 hearts

Heartwarming and precious.

All Howie wanted was for his dad, David, to find a new husband. He knew that this would make his dad happier. Howie took matters into his own hands and (with the help of his Buddhist Wiccan aunt) built a solstice altar solely dedicated to his dad finding someone to love. He put all of his intention into this altar.
"His intention was stronger than the wind. It made him feel like a superhero."

And a superhero he was! My goodness, I loved this kid. I loved the p
Annie ~ Queer Books Unbound
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads, ebook, i-own
Awww!! <- This about sums it up. This was so adorable and cute and left me with a warm feeling.
Hart_D
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely story about a happy family. It's the third holiday short I've read from NineStar Press, and I enjoyed all of them a lot. This author was new to me, and I'll definitely seek out more of his work.

The story is sweet and fluffy and completely in the little boy's perspective, with no conflict. Howie's dad, his aunt Shanna, and Mike, the boyfriend Howie finds for his dad, all love Howie, and it feels like they value him as a person. My favorite moment shows how much Howie's dad values
Stella ╰☆╮╰☆╮
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Howie is eight years old and has a big desire, to find a new husband to his dad. To make his wish come truth, with the help of his awesome aunt Shanna, he built a solstice altar where a shell and a stone will start a dance until Howie finally sees in Mike the right candidate.

Stone and Shell was my first book by Lloyd A. Meeker and it was a success. It wasn’t the first story I read told entirely by a child and not an adult part of the MCs’ couple. Since I adore books with children in the plot, I
Colette
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely

Lloyd Meeker is pretty much an auto buy for me, so I was excited to see this holiday story. Howie is a young boy who wants his dad to find a new husband and be happy again. This really is a lovely, sweet story full of romance and family. I loved it.
Anke
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful little story, heart warming but short. Nevertheless well-rounded with a wonderful ending.
Loved it!
Marge
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday, m-m, romance
A lovely little story. Even though told from the perspective of a young boy, it hit every note right for me.
Lena Grey
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Howie, of 'Stone and Shell' by Lloyd A. Meeker, is excited about the upcoming Winter Solstice season, not just because of the celebration, although he loves the Festival of Lights that takes place, but also because this year, he has a mission. He wants to find a new husband for his father.

Ever since his dad's husband left, Howie has been sad. He misses him but knows how unhappy his father is to be alone. Howie is convinced that with the right tools, he can envision a new love for his dad. Since
Molly Lolly
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Original review on Molly Lolly
Four and a half stars!
This was such a cute story. I adored how it’s told from Howie’s point of view. He had such a wonderful voice and intriguing way of looking at things. His Solstice altar and intention made me smile. The way he changed the pieces around as things changed with his dad and Mike. I liked Howie’s dad and Mike. They were good together and you could see the romance unfold as Howie worried if his intention would happen how he wanted. I really liked Howi
Joyfully Jay
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sammy
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

The story is told from eight year-old Howie’s perspective and it is much more sophisticated than you might think. This is no self absorbed or spoiled child, but a genuine old soul who wants nothing more than to see his father smile once more. To that end, he worries that he is not doing the altar quite right and once again, the author steps in and writes a side character, Howie’s aunt, to wisely guide the little man along and continually remind him that what he want
Suze
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great characters, something unusual, engaging story teller and a resolution - all encompassed in 30pages, a great short story is a work of art.
Howie is really the main character and he reads well as an 8 year old - good balance of worldly wisdom, childish hope and cheekiness. I liked his agonising over the placements on his altar and his frustration that adults don’t work at his pace!
Both David and Mike are still a bit of a mystery as we see them through Howie’s eyes and their developing relatio
Didi
Oh, this is so adorable! A sort of holiday love story (a beginning of one) from the eye of an eight year old Howie. He's smart, solemn, a loving son to his Dad and his selfish wish is only for his Dad to be happy so he too could be happy!

Having only read the author's mystery books before, I didn't have any expectation grabbing this book. But I should've known Lloyd A. Meeker wouldn't lead me wrong. This novella adds to some of the good stuff I read this month (sadly, I don't have much of those).
Achim
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Heart-warming gem of a Christmas story. What are the Holidays without kids, so why not having an 8 year old telling his story about his wish for a new husband for his father or more about his intentions (his aunt told him about that) while creating a solctice altar. Adorable.
Sunny
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This one got to me...serious melting of the heart. Howie, you get all the stars.
Heather
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a sweet story!
Penumbra
Stone and Shell is the story of eight-year-old Howie Evinger and his Intention during the Solstice for his dad, David, to find a husband. The book is told in third person through Howie’s eyes.

2.5 Stars

(view spoiler)
Rhys Ethan
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, cute and magical short, perfect for the holidays. I want more of this sweet family!
Dee Wy
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars - Sweet little story, but having only Howie's POV made me wish for more of that "romance" feeling if only we could have had a bit of his Dad's thoughts.
Lada
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Okay, but not my cup of tea.
Ardent
J
Sep 02, 2017
Ivana
Apr 06, 2017
The Backlot Gay B...: Stone and Shell, by Lloyd A. Meeker 1 11 Nov 26, 2016 11:22AM
Amongst other roles, I’ve been a minister, a janitor, a drinker, and a software developer on my way to becoming a writer. I’m a psychic empath still learning how to live in the world just the way it is. The thing is, the world is so much more than what seems generally accepted. That’s the challenge.

I’ve often thought that black holes were the intake end of stars shining into another dimension, jus