Start by marking “Right as Rain: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Right as Rain: A Novel

Right as Rain: A Novel

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  147 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
In the tradition of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe and The Secret Life of Bees, this luminous, heartfelt novel explores the tragedies and triumphs, the pleasures and sorrows of two women, Tee Wee and Icey, their families, and the white family that employs them as cook and housekeeper on a tenant farm in rural Mississippi.

Though the women are as different as
Published March 30th 2004 by Ballantine Books (first published 2004)

siempre leyendo
I really wanted to enjoy this book that I bought at the Tennessee Williams Literary Festival. I simply couldn't get into it and the character development was so weak that I really didn't care much about what happened to any of the characters. The novel finally redeemed itself somewhat in about the last fifty pages covering the trial.
Gloria
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary-lit
This novel is described well by Goodreads and definitely has a strong sense of place. The story reveals how lives were lived by African American families in the deep South during the changing decades of the 1950s and 1960s. While we often hear about horrific acts that occurred then, what was almost more disturbing were the many smaller but constant ways that Caucasians hurt the situation with "ordinary" remarks that perhaps did not seem hurtful to them, but were hurtful to the recipients. There ...more
Donna
Jan 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel was set in the South over a period of about 30 years and follows a collection of characters set in a small town in Mississippi. Two of the families are black and one is white. It is a wonderful story of friendship and loyalty. There are stories of love and personal tragedy. There is humor and warmth as these folks pass life together. Read this one to glimpse into the lives of people struggling to survive and understand prejudice, dealing with their love for each other and the dynamics ...more
Alex
May 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is a good read - compelling, I was very engaged. Why three stars? I felt the writing was very good but the story seemed a bit all over the place. That said, I would still recommend the book especially if you liked similar books about the South with a blacks/whites focus in the 50s and 60s. The Help fans or Secret Life of Bees fans would like this. But, like the Help (and unlike Secret Life), it at times felt like it wasn't going anywhere. Not sure how to describe it other than to say - good ...more
ClairetheLibrarian
An honest portrayal of female friendship with a well-developed setting and storyline. I enjoyed the historic aspects and the subtle changes and acknowledgments throughout. For example, racism is certainly a part of the novel but it didn't overtake the plot. I wish a few of the minor characters were fleshed out a bit more, but overall a very good read.
Connie
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent historical fiction. As a Caucasian, it is difficult for me to judge but it seemed to portray the attitudes of African Americans who lived in the South from 1940-1968 very accuractely. I know that it accurately portrayed the majority of the causcasians accurately. Cover of both groups was very realistic and balanced.
Denise
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, covering two generations of three families brought together by their proximity to one another on a Mississippi farm. The book deals with rivalry, race issues and love. The characters are flawed and realistic -- just wonderful. Our book club contacted the author and she was very nice as well.
Sylvie
Nov 30, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women
Why do I seem to like books where nothing happens? Again, it is just a story of daily life that somehow becomes more interesting than any epic tale. Set in the south at the beginning of the 20th century, this book, seemingly about nothing becomes a tale of suspense, drama, longing, sadness, hardship, love, hope, betrayal, and bravery. A good read, but it breaks your heart.
Heidi
if you like The Help, you will like this book. However, this one has a lot more characters to keep track of!
Joyce
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This reminded me of "The Help". Very good. I'd recommend.
Julie  Durnell
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
A story of two families, white and black, through the 50's and 60's. I shared in their stories of sorrow and joy through this turbulent time.
Ratforce
Bev Marshall’s Right as Rain shares a similar tone, setting, and the kind of three dimensional characters found in the charming book The Help.
Dottie
Aug 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Life of trials & happiness of three generations of black families in the south
Allison
Jul 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Intersting social comment on the life experience of poor blacks in the south.
Alison
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't really connect with the book.
Terri
Apr 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one book I must say I have really enjoyed reading and will re-read again sometime. It has a great plot, interesting and funny characters and a recommend to all.
T.S.
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just about as perfect as they get.
Cheryl
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book! The characters were exceedingly well-written and believable, and there were plot turns that were totally unexpected by me (always a plus). I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Amber Brock
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favorite book of all time.
Eliece
Mar 23, 2011
Kathy
Jun 21, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Three Mrs. Murphy Mysteries: Wish You Were Here; Rest in Pieces; Murder at Monticello (Mrs. Murphy, #1-3)
  • The Memories We Keep
  • The Carpenter's Gift: A Christmas Tale about the Rockefeller Center Tree
  • Magic Time
  • A Southern Family
  • Remember the Ladies
  • Stay a Little Longer (Tucker Family, #1)
  • My Summer of Southern Discomfort
  • The Letter of the Law (Casey Jordan, #1)
171955
Bev Marshall is the author of three novels, Walking Through Shadows, Right As Rain, and Hot Fudge Sundae Blues. She is writer-in-residence at Southeastern Louisiana University in Hammond, Louisiana. She grew up in McComb and Gulfport, Mississippi, married her childhood sweetheart and now lives in Ponchatoula, Louisiana, just down the road from the live alligator that serves as the town's tourist a ...more
More about Bev Marshall...