Start by marking “Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Volume 1 (Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Volume 1 (Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, #1)

Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Volume 1

(BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad #1)

Sakuishi's addictive manga series is now available in the U.S. Shy 14-year-old Yukio Tanaka's life is changed forever when he meets rocker Ryusuke Minami, an unpredictable 16-year-old with a cool dog named Beck. Full color. Rated for older teens.
Library Binding, 210 pages
Published July 1st 2005 by Turtleback Books (first published February 15th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Beck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beck

Susan
Mar 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although manga readers might feel (rightly) that the concept has been done before, Beck is intriguing for its introspective tone and surprising depth of feeling. The reader leaves the first volume with a lot of food for thought and a lot of curiosity about what the future will bring the main character. With the notable exception of the cliche of the horndog friend, the characters are already settingup as complex enough to keep you guessing---in a good way. Is Ryosuke a player, an undependable mo ...more
Sean O'Hara
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm glad this is on Comixology Unlimited, because after.one volume I can tell this is the sort of series I'm gonna want to binge, and at 30+ volumes that could get expensive.
Jeremy
May 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! I got into the series through the anime that aired on a couple music channels. It builds on what I already know, and develops it/shows me some things I didn't know.

So, the writing: generally, it's fairly solid. It's a little corny, but it's the right level of corny. I'm already reading a manga about a bunch of kids starting a rock band, so I suppose when I sit down for this, I'm already prepared for a slight bit of cheese. Sets up Yukio's lifestyle, and throws together a f
Maricar Dizon
Status: Completed

No matter how many times I read Beck (all 34 volumes of awesome) I always feel so many different emotions. Nostalgia, despair, sadness, happiness and hope. This series has always been one of my top favorites. The story depicts the reality a person who aims to be a top rock musician has to face. I love that the author showed perfectly the human drama, the friendship, the romance and the harsh truth about the music industry. I love every character, they are not perfect but their i
Korynn
Mar 03, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
I was given this for free at a TokyoPop promotion. It's pretty standard plot, loser boy with pervert sidekick cannot declare his love for old friend now grown-up. He follows her around and meets an interesting young man (and his sister) with a talent for rock music. Loser boy becomes enamoured of the music but also with the idea of being in a band. Read volume two for more of the same. I'm guessing that by volume five he might have embarassed himself by playing a gig.
I really enjoyed the transl
Daniel
Aug 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
The story was okay but the art in this book was just short of being horrible. It was serviceable, but the faces and eyes of most characters were off. Most of the characters look like porcelain dolls, emotionless. I get the feeling though that the art is done by an inexperience manga artist and hopefully the art will get better on down the line. I could see some improvement from the start of this volume but that’s just because I was looking for it.
Windry
Aug 21, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
damn! i love this manga so much! one of the best! sangat orisinil dari karakter-karakternya, realis, dan sukses mengangkat isu musik yang jauh dari sekedarnya!

bahkan baca Beck bisa membuat deg deg an seperti membaca agatha christie hehehe...
Diane Briones™
So Beck is this one manga about rock music. I had always assumed it was about that rock star, Beck. But apparently Beck is some Frankenweenie-style dog. Also, after reading the first volume, I have no still idea what the “Mongolian Chop Squad” is a reference to…

Story:
Yukio Tanaka is a really boring middle school kid. He listens to lame Okinawan music, sleeps through class, spies on the swim team, and is generally, a loser. But things are starting to look up. For one thing, his old childhood frie
Paul Spence
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Manga has its share of bildungsromans that follow the path of an unathletic kid who, by dint of practice, mentorship and unstoppable will, becomes a top basketball/tennis/baseball player. Beck belongs to this genre, with the interesting twist that its nerdy 14-year-old hero, Yukio Tanaka, is on a journey from zero to rock-'n'-roller.

In the beginning, Yukio knows nothing about rock and is a fan of Okinawan pop music (which, it is implied, is very uncool). Yukio meets Ryosuke, a 16-year-old rocke
Alex
Jun 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: manga-manhua
Το τελείωσα. Έκανε κάποιες μεγάλες κοιλιές και προσπάθησε να γίνει ένα από τα manga που ξεχνούν να τελειώσουν, χωρίς να μπορεί να το στηρίξει.

Αν εξαιρέσεις αυτό, είχε κάποια καλά σημεία στην πλοκή και κάποια μη αναμενόμενα twists, αλλά αυτό που του έδινε άλλο αέρα ήταν οι αναφορές στη μουσική. O Sakuishi φαίνεται ότι το αγαπάει το σπορ και έχει γνώσεις πάνω στην Ροκ/Μέταλ καθώς και το πως αντιμετωπίζεται από τους Ιάπωνες (που τρέφουν μεγάλη συμπάθεια γι'αυτά τα είδη). Γούσταρα που κάθε λίγο διά
Christina
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reading this manga was great after my boyfriend and I have been watching the anime (for me it's a rewatch) I liked when they indicate its American English rather than Japanese English subtitles. In addition I love the art style its different than what I have read before. Because of these points I have to give this volume a 4 out of 5 stars because the cutoff of the volume was not ideally where I wanted it to end. If you want a music themed manga/anime that is not surrounded by women check this o ...more
Leonardo Dearie
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not really,

Ready, I haven't read very much manga in quite a while ,but so far as the storyline, this is my first Beck book I am impressed and excited for the rest of the series.
Bryan Bowden
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm embarrassed by how invested I am in this rock and roll bildungsroman. I've been through the entire series in about a week. The characters are fun and the plotting is tight. It reminded me of the passion and intensity I had when I was young for my interests. Lots of fun to read!
Amartuvshin Davaadorj
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
эхлэл хэсэг нь тийм нэг гаж
Brett
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like music

You must read if you are a fan of any type of band. It's great that this series is finally getting an ending in English.
Anthony Fontes
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
a really strong start to one of my favorite manga and anime series. The characters are fun and interesting, and the art progresses leaps and bounds over the series run.
Kurtis Burkhardt
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
A must read for any music lover🎧🥁🎸 Pretty great rock and roll manga, good art and pretty good story!😁🤟💕
Minie Houselook
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
#coupeDes4Maisons
Hud-c
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: music lovers; manga enthusiasts
4 stars

I've learned about Beck before though didn't took any interest then. Maybe due to the fact that I'm hook into mainstream manga specifically shounen that has themes of violence and save the world view. And I mainly rely on recommendations from my otaku friends. (Now I'm wondering about their tastes) Well, good thing I decided to take this on but its truly because of the INFINITE AWESOME HARDCORE OST. (Hands down)

So here's the gist of Volume 1, there's a boy name Tanaka Koyuki. A typical t
Elfdart
Jul 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
beck’s a great story, basically about this kid who gets into a band. its really inspiring and down to earth. the day to day crap was really relatable and was almost enjoyable to watch because even though bad things happens to koyuki (i think he even says at some point ‘when it rains it really pours for me’ or something) he still doesn’t get majorly depressed and looks at the situation positively. i also thought that the passion for music was sucessfully transferred to the reader and at some poi ...more
Nick
Feb 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Overall Rating: A+
Synopsis: Beck is a manga by Harold Sakuishi that follows Koyuki, a junior high nerd. At the beginning of the series, Koyuki leads a boring life, with a pervert as his only friend. That all changes when he saves a strange looking dog named Beck, and meets the dog's owner, Ryuusuke. The two become friends, and Koyuki starts down the path to being cool.

Beck centers around a band formed by Ryuusuke, and its rise to fame, but that's not what the series is about. The manga primarily
Sharon
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I didn't think I would really get into this book. Though my friend had recommended it, it didn't seem like anything I would like. Surprise to me, it's really good! It's quite a refreshing read. The characters are warm and engaging and I definitely want to read more. Koyuki, the lead, is a typical boy in many ways but is kind of spacey. He's funny and very Japanese. Also, I love the parts where he hears really good music or it just strikes him that oh my god, this is amazing. The art is really we ...more
Irwan
Aug 19, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
I bought this comic earlier this year after i started again with my guitar. This is a story about a boring, hobby-less boy with weak taste of music whose life turns upside down when he met and was inspired by a Rocker.

This manga is meant to be a comedy as well. So it doesnt have the seriousness and sophistication that Death Note has (a recent comic series which has captivated me).

Japanese Manga is very explorative about aspects of human life, unlike the western ones who is driven by power. You
Joy
Decent shonen series about Yukio, an average Joe, whose life changes after he meeds rocker Ryusuke. The art's occasionally uneven, and there's more overt fan service than I'm accustomed to finding in even my shonen series. (Or at least different kinds of fan service. Maybe the levels/types vary by magazine?) Still, I'm generally fond of stories about characters pursuing fame and fortune in whatever field of endeavor.

Side note: The anime adaptation tones down the fan service somewhat and has the
Nyie Rombeng
tema musik & jati diriyang diangkat di beck setelah ditelaah harusnya untuk pembaca dewasa diatas 17 tahun.karena ada mature content yang banyak disensor.maklum,disini kan ada perbenturan budaya barat & timur,jadinya cukup emosional dalam intriknya.
tapi lama kelamaan mungkin para readers cenderung bosan begitu semakin mendalami ceritanya karena menurutku terlalu didramatisir nih karakter didalam beck.
cukup ikuti trivia & pengetahuan seputar musik yang diusung dalam cerita ini aja,set
Caroline
Apr 27, 2014 rated it liked it
This looks like the beginning of a fun 'socially awkward teenager finds himself through rock & roll' story, which I approve of. It does get overly male-gazey at times (which is especially weird since it reads kind of like 'shoujo-for-boys' though I'm not sure what genre this actually belongs in). A promising start, though, and the girls seem to be well-drawn characters even if I could do with less fixation with what they look like in swimsuits.
Nicolo Yu
Aug 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
I was drawn to this manga because it dealt with a subject matter that was different from the shonen manga I was reading at the time. It was about music and rock bands and the dreams of teenage boys who picked up a guitar and dreamed of hitting it big with their own band.

The art was refreshingly different from shonen manga as well. It had a realism to it that set it apart from the other manga I was reading at the time. It helped that the artist drew cute girls.
mei
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
seseorang mengatakan bahwa ini adalah manga kesukaannya saat saya bertanya 'udah nonton film BECK belum?'.

Segera saja saya mencari tau manga ini dan saat saya baca volume pertamanya....boleh juga. Walaupun saya agak bingung karena udah duluan nonton filmnya hhe.

Tone gambarnya kayak komik Gokusen ya, padahal BECK ini diterbitin sama Elex bukan Level Comic. Tapi ceritanya lumayan menarik walaupun konten vulgar-dewasanya banyak banget wqwq.
Robin
After seeing the anime with my group here at the library and receiving volume 2 as a birthday gift, I wanted to read the manga. It's good but I still find it difficult to read the Japanese way from right to left. The story revolves around a 14 yr old boy who befriends a 16 yr old who is an amazing guitar player. Along the way there are a few girls and some swimming. You have to read it in order to understand it, I think.
Ramona
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A really great story. I read this first manga to see if I would like it and then I bought the anime. I strongly suggest that watching the anime and hearing the music is the way to go. It puts you in a totally different head space and you relate to each character even more(plus if your into rock or just good music in general that helps). This story is not for everyone, its about four boys and thier musical journey to fame. But its worth a check out.
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 4: Ayse's Friend (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #4)
  • GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka, Vol. 1
  • Yakitate!! Japan, Volume 1
  • Pengantin Demos Vol. 1 (Akuma no Hanayome, #1)
  • Whistle!, Vol. 1
  • Candy Candy, Vol. 8 (Candy Candy, #8)
  • Basilisk: The Kouga Ninja Scrolls, Vol. 1 (Basilisk #1)
  • X/1999, Volume 18: Inversion
  • Strawberry Panic, Vol. 02 (Strawberry Panic, #2)
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 05

Associated names :
哈罗德作石
HAROLD作石

Name (in native language) : ハロルド作石

Birth Name : Sakuishi (作石) Takahiro (貴浩)

Blood type : AB

Sakuishi has a wide variety of interests which include baseball (he is a huge Chunichi Dragons fan), martial arts, MMA, and music (he is a huge Red Hot Chili Peppers fan).
Each of these has become the basis for his most popular series (baseball in Stopper Busujima, fighting in Ba

BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Volume 2 (Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, #2)
  • Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Volume 3 (Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, #3)
  • Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Volume 4 (Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, #4)
  • Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Volume 5 (Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, #5)
  • Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Volume 6 (Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, #6)
  • Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Volume 7 (Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, #7)
  • Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Volume 8 (Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, #8)
  • Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Volume 9 (Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, #9)
  • Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Volume 10 (Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, #10)
  • Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Volume 11 (Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, #11)