Start by marking “War of the Witches (War of the Witches, #1)” as Want to Read:
War of the Witches (War of the Witches, #1)

War of the Witches (La Guerra de las Brujas #1)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  2,126 Ratings  ·  147 Reviews

Outsider AnaÃd leads a solitary life in a small village in the Pyrenees with her mother Selene. She does not suspect there is anything particularly strange about her family, aside from her mother’s personal eccentricities . . . until one day Selene disappears without a trace and AnaÃd is confronted with a shocking truth, her mother is a witch, prophesied to be the chose

Published May 27th 2008 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about War of the Witches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War of the Witches

Accio Reviews
Se há um livro que li até agora neste ano sobre o qual fiquei bastante dividida na minha opinião, foi com certeza este. Em vários aspectos gostei, noutros começava a pensar se deveria levar a leitura em frente. Como era um livro pequeno e até gostei da história base, acabei de o ler, mas fiquei com algumas reservas.

A mitologia das bruxas é muito boa, e gostei bastante do capítulo onde foi contada a história da origem das bruxas e da sua divisão em dois clãs rivais, pois afastou-se da linguagem q
Verónica
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me a gustado mucho este libro. Puede que caiga en unos cuantos tópicos pero para mi gusto a sido una buena bocanada de aire fresco.
El libro nos habla sobre Anaid una niña de 14 años feucha y un poco antisocial. Después de una mala noche Anaid despierta sobresalta, tiene un mal presentimiento, así que decide ir a ver si su madre Selene se encuantra bien. Cuando llega a la habitación no hay nadie y se encuentra la ventana abierta, ¿donde esta su madre? ¿donde habrá ido sin avisarla? ¿estará bien?
Anabel
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
María Angélica
Apr 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
sorry, eres tu, no yo.
Yani
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leuk kinderboek, de schrijfstijl was enigszins eigenaardig, maar dat kan deels door de vertaling komen. Een punt van aandacht echter. Dolfijnen. Hebben. Geen. Schubben! :@
The Library Lady
Nov 21, 2008 rated it it was ok
I alternately liked and hated this book because the writing was so uneven. Mood and style seemed to change from chapter to chapter.
I suspect that a lot of this was due to a lousy translator. It doesn't matter how fluent you are in 2 language, translating a book so that it reads as beautifully in another language as it did in the original is highly skilled work.

Perhaps this is a wonderful book. I thought the plot and characters had a lot of potential. But in the end, it is a failure, at least in
Encruzilhadas Literárias

Aqui há uns tempo falei de livros que não nos sabem a nada e de livros que prometem e não cumprem. Volto a falar disso, porque quando peguei neste livro, ele tinha uma frase do estilo "O novo Harry Potter" impressa na capa. Obviamente que a Editorial Presença não manda no Financial Times, nem decide o que os críticos devem ou não dizer mas, aviso que quem for no entanto atrás de um mundo mágico do estilo Potteriano vai ficar desapontado. Não vale a pena perderem o vosso tempo com este l
Kristi
Jul 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Anaid is a smart, dependable, often overlooked teenage girl. She is the exact opposite of her beautiful, fun spirited and exuberant mother. It’s hard to believe that the two are even related. On the morning of Anaid’s mother disappearance, she discovers that there is much more to her mother than meets the eyes. Selene, her mother, is a witch. “The Chosen One” to be exact, the witch that is prophesied to end the war between the two witch clans.

Taught and trained by four other women of her mother’
Книжни Криле
Напоследък са се пръкнали толкова много младежки фентъзи поредици, че на човек може направо свят да му се завие. И ако сте почитатели на този жанр трябва или неуморно да четете почти само това в стремеж да не изоставате с издаденото, или внимателно да проучвате и подбирате сериите, които подхващате, за да отделите време само на най-качествените. И смея да твърдя, че именно към тях се причислява и „Кланът на вълчицата”– първа книга от трилогията „Войната на вещиците” (в оригинал „La Guerra de las ...more
Reading Vacation
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
REVIEW
While this is a book about witches, it is also a book about the mother and daughter bond. In this case, Anaid is willing to fight the rival Odish clan to save her mother, Selene, from the evil Omar clan. I liked that they had such a close relationship.
The story starts off slow with quite a bit of detail as Anaid learns to use her powers. It was surprising to learn how powerful she was compared to the more experienced witches. Anaid was able to do things like turn into a dolphin or fly.
Th
Kylie
May 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book was predictible and quite cheezy, yet for some reason I was strangely intent on finishing it. After I did finish- I didn't hate it. It was ok. I can see how a middle school aged girl would really get into it. As for me, I got my copy of this book for free, and probably won't be continuing the series unless the next one falls into my lap as well.
Erika
Mar 10, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a quick read. I finished it in about four hours. Not that is was so great; it just flowed. I did like the characters and concept of the story. Would be interested in reading the sequel if there is one. I liked that it was a witch story that didn't get to deep and dark with it.
Bryn ((B2/B.P))   Ryeosomniac~~
I thought the ending was a bit of a cop out but other then that it was pretty good.
Beatriz Sousa
também quero ser ruiva... :)
Joris Smeets
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really nice, this first book of the trilogy! Fresh, original, strong characters. In the vein of Harry Potter, maybe even a touch of 'His Dark Materials'.
Appelmania
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was a awsome book.
Naomï
This review will have spoilers, but all will be labeled with a spoiler mark. For more reviews and other posts visit my blog: http://bookishsinsandwins.wordpress.com

Anaíd has a normal life, until her mother disappears without trace. She is confronted with the shocking truth: her mother is a witch and the chosen one who will end the ancient war between two feuding clans.

Most of the time I don't really care about writing style. Sentences shouldn't be too short and I don't want a story of metaphors
Joana
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Confesso que inicialmente o livro não me estava a agradar, mas como não gosto de deixar nada para trás, insisti em pegar nele novamente. E ainda bem que o fiz, apesar de ainda haver pouco desenrolar da história, vamos percebendo, pela mão de Anaíd o que ela passa por passar de uma jovem normal e apagada da sociedade para uma bruxa que tem imensos poderes e que foi protegida pela mãe, até esta ser raptada pelas Odish.
Se por um lado é-nos apresentada as história das bruxas Omar, por outro, faz-nos
Fefi
Non è mai ciò che sembra
L'eterna lotta tra i clan di streghe bianche e quelle nere, l'arrivo dell'eletta che porrà fine alla guerra,una giovane strega che ha tanto da imparare.
Primo capitolo di una serie che ho da leggere da moltissimo tempo,scorrevole,intrigante e dove tutto è il contrario di quello che sembra.
Interessante.
A'lina
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Xime
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Melissa
War of the Witches was boringaf.

It's possible that the translator did a terrible job, but the writing style just didn't cut it for me. The entire book felt distant and the characters were super dull. Also, the whole thing felt very childish.
Veronika
Anaid je již nějakou dobu jiná, než její spolužáci. I když je jí už čtrnáct let, vypadá jako malá holčička, jako by se její růst někde zastavil a odmítal pokračovat, aby z ní vytvořil kompletní dívku. Po záhadném zmizení Anaidiny matky Selene se začínají dít podivné věci. Anaid pomalu, ale jistě zjišťuje, že je čarodějkou z rodu Omar a aby zachránila svojí matku, bude se muset vypořádat se zákeřnými čarodějkami z rodu Odiš, které se neštítí opravdu ničeho.

Autorka nám v této sérii představuje tak
Ана Хелс
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Приветствам искрено всеки не-американски фентъзиен автор, успял някак да пробие на родния ни пазар, където не-англиканската фамилия мъничко плаши, намеквайки за някаква предполагаема европейска префърцуненост. Каквато повярвайте ми в повечето случаи напълно, ама напълно липсва. Трилогията за вещиците на Майте Каранса е като силно цензуриран филм на Алмодовар отпреди някое и друго десетилетие – ода за жените, непостоянните им характери, безумните ситуации, и тук – една здравословна доза магия и ъ ...more
(S.V.P) Samantha
De hekensoorlog.

==De clan van de wolvin==
===van schrijfster Maite Carranza===
Oorspronkelijke titel: La Guerra de las Brujas

Genre: Literatuur & Fictie
ISBN13: 905672214X

Uitgegeven in 2006 door Signature (voor het eerst gepubliceerd 1 januari 2005)
Wat vond ik van dit boek:

Ik moet eerlijk zeggen dat toen ik dit boek voor het eerst ging lezen dat ik er moeilijk in kwam.
Ik heb het zeker wel het boek een paar keer weg gedaan.. het begin is nogal wat saai om te lezen.. maar naar een tijdje begint he
Niva (Paula Navarro)
Me daba miedo enfrentarme a las más de mil páginas de esta trilogía acompañadas de una letra minúscula, pero una vez me puse a ello, se me hizo difícil desprenderme de la lectura porque me encontré con una historia cautivadora, unos personajes ricos y una narración maravillosa. La guerra de las brujas se ha convertido en una de las mejores lecturas que he hecho en 2011, y estoy segura de que leeré más de Maite Carranza.
La guerra de las brujas es una historia compleja, que se entreteje entre el p
Doris
Dec 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was an interesting read, especially since, as a teen fantasy, it skipped over one of the biggest issues in much of the material I have seen written for that genre - sex and love interests. There is very little social interaction between the central character, Anaid, and other children, although when her mother first disappears and she is forced to stay with a neighbor, the children there do react to her, as do the children at her school.

I was struck by the strong matriarchal theme, where th
Mrs. Carstairs
Este libro nos relata la historia de Anaíd, una adolescente algo peculiar que aún no se ha desarrollado completamente. Hace un año perdió a su abuela y ahora vive tan sólo con su madre en un pequeño pueblo. Una mañana Anaíd despierta con un mal presentimiento, así que va a ver el resto de la casa y asegurarse de que su madre esté bien, sin embargo no la encuentra, Selene ha desaparecido. Entonces la historia comienza.

Bueno, la verdad es que hasta que lo vi en la librería no había escuchado p ara
Alice
Apr 07, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Já tinha visto este livro à venda em Espanha mas, como a minha sede de ler obras no inglês original que ainda não foram traduzidas para a língua de Camões suplanta tudo, não lhe havia dado a devida atenção. Muitos já o classificara m como o sucessor de Harry Potter e, apesar das muitas diferenças, parece-me que será um livro que agradará muito facilmente aos fãs de J.K. Rolling.
Embora de início as coisas não sejam muito claras e a proveniência e guerra entre as Omar e as Odish possam fazer algu
Natasha GJ Nanny Nakia
El clan de la Loba es el primer tomo de una trilogía llamada La guerra de las brujas, escrita por Maite Carranza. En Argentina, podemos comprarlo en manos de la editorial Edebé con un precio relativo (depende del lugar donde lo compres) por $138. Tiene un total de 376 páginas y un formato muy atractivo. Su lectura es un tanto "española", con palabras típicas pero fáciles de entender.
Maite Carranza Gil-Dolz del Castellar (25/02/1958) es una escritora, guionista y profesora de guion.
Tiene una exte
  • Witch Fire (Burn Mark, #2)
  • La llamada de los muertos (Crónicas De La Torre, #3)
  • Desert Crossing
  • Lágrimas de cristal (Las chicas del Olimpo #1)
  • Laila Winter y los Señores de los Vientos (Laila Winter, #2)
  • La sombra de la luna (El ciclo de la luna roja, #3)
  • La torre y la isla (La llave del tiempo, #1)
  • Grimpow y la Bruja de la Estirpe
  • Lo que está en mi corazón
Maite Carranza studied Anthropology and worked as a teacher. In 1992 she began to write full time. She has received several awards including EDEBA children’s literature prize and has written more than 40 books for young readers. Maite lives in Barcelona, Spain.
More about Maite Carranza...

La Guerra de las Brujas (3 books)
  • El desierto de hielo (La Guerra de las Brujas, #2)
  • La maldición de Odi (La Guerra de las Brujas, #3)