Start by marking “Bagthorpes V. the World: Being the Fourth Part of the Bagthorpe Saga” as Want to Read:
Bagthorpes V. the World: Being the Fourth Part of the Bagthorpe Saga

Bagthorpes V. the World: Being the Fourth Part of the Bagthorpe Saga

(The Bagthorpe Saga #4)

The members of the eccentric Bagthorpe family contend with Mr. Bagthorpe's attempts to be self-sufficient and with Great-aunt Lucy's visit.
Hardcover, First American Edition, 193 pages
Published October 1st 1979 by Macmillan Publishing Company (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Bagthorpes V. the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bagthorpes V. the World

Jonna Gjevre
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Cresswell's humor is a little darker than I remember, but I adore the Bagthorpes.
Rachael Eyre
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Wish I'd had the cover shown here. I was drinking a glass of water and nearly snorted it out of my nose!)

It says something when a kids' book from 1979 is funnier and more erudite than anything published today. It might not be my favourite instalment - that would be Absolute Zero or Bagthorpes Unlimited - but there's plenty to reduce you to giggles. Daisy's Intimations of Mortality Phase, Mr Bagthorpe doing his own demented take on the Good Life, Billy Goat Gruff ...

I've never been sure about Gr
Elizabeth
Jun 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: favorites
Love this book! One of the best out of the seven or eight Bagthorpe books. Mr. Bagthorpe goes unhinged and begins a campaign for survival, while Daisy Bagthorpe (the four-year-old neice) has become obsessed with funerals. Add in the lunatic Aunt Lucy (who doesn't believe in Time), and you have the makings for a classic Bagthorpian comedy.
Samantha
I love these so much. I've read the first four all four times each, including aloud to my daughter. it seemed to be a lesser known series in the US, which is too bad. the language is pretty sophisticated and the books are HILARIOUS. the characters are fantastic.
Susan
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Can the Bagthorpes become self-sufficient? By that, of course, they mean saving money on everyone else's pleasures, but not their own. And can they keep Great Aunt Lucy happy when she comes to visit?
Edward Davies
With money troubles causing the family to become self-sufficient, competitiveness is at a high as the Bagthorpes try to grow their own food, with disastrous results. At this stage the series is a little weaker, but still quite enjoyable.
Grillables
More madcap hijinks and Daisy-related destruction. Not quite as scattered as the third book, but still not quite tied together as well as the second book. Quite amusing, regardless.
Margaret Jacobs
Dec 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book of the whole series! I can't describe it.. It's just wonderful.
Gillian
Apr 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Another great installment of the very funny Bagthorpes. They are a great family to hang out with.
Salwa
Jul 14, 2016
Carolyn
Nov 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

The Bagthorpe Saga (10 books)
  • Ordinary Jack