Start by marking “The Philosopher's War” as Want to Read:
The Philosopher's War

The Philosopher's War

(The Philosophers Series #2)

Audiobook
Expected publication: July 16th 2019 by Simon Schuster Audio (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Philosopher's War, please sign up.
Scot Olsen This is the sequel—due out next year—but has been miscatalogued on Goodreads for the moment.

Jypsy
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize that The Philosopher's War is a second book. I think reading the first would have helped my understanding. It's a fast entertaining read. The history of the world is different, and it's definitely got a steampunk vibe. There's action and drama and enough to keep you reading until the end. The characters are smart and engaging. A good read overall. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Koeur
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Publishing Date: July 2019

Publisher: Simon and Schuster

ISBN: 9781476778181

Genre: Fantasy

Rating: 3.4/5

Publisher’s Description: Thanks to a stunning flying performance and a harrowing shootout in the streets of Boston, Robert Canderelli Weekes’s lifelong dream has come true: he’s the first male allowed to join the US Sigilry Corps’s Rescue and Evacuation service, an elite, all-woman team of flying medics.

Review: This novel follows in the footsteps of ” Philosopher’s Flight” continuing with the lif
Mike
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
War is always stupid and tragic, but I've always thought of World War I as particularly stupid and tragic, possibly because both of my grandmothers lost brothers in it. I wouldn't normally read a book set in WWI, as a result, but I enjoyed the first book in this series so much that I couldn't pass it by. (It was the best book I read in 2017.)

This one didn't disappoint. Here we have Robert Weekes again, 19 years old, sole male flyer in the Rescue and Evacuation Corps (in a world where women have
Ariel Magid
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read

It’s a good read you can easily get lost in. Some of the philosophy was a bit murky to be and I still don’t have a clear vision of if. But a fun book overall!
Susan
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FABULOUS! I absolutely loved this alternative history! Magic, great characters, jealousy, valor. All the makings of a great story! I highly recommend this book.
Sue
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25. What a debut! Alternative history with some fun characters. Hard to put down and it definitely has an unusual story line.
Kathy Roaleen
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an adventure!

Warning! When you open this book, you will find it nearly impossible to put down. It's an alternative history that turns your perched upside down. A cross between a Harry Potter magic, and a suffrage age novel. All characters are engaging and often humorous. It's simply a rollicking good read. Have fun!
Amanda Powers
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Debut Novel!

This is not the sort of book I would normally enjoy, but I am glad I picked it up. Somewhere in between science fiction and historical fiction, this story stays with you. The characters are likeable, written deeply, and I cheered for Robert until the last page. There is enough action in this novel to keep it a page Turner, but not so much that it comes off shallow. I'd love to see further novels featuring Robert Weekes and company. Highly recommend!!
Dustin George-Miller
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
Note: I received an advance copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Tom Miller’s debut novel “The Philosopher’s Flight” was, for me, one of the surprise novels of 2018. The premise — a male “philosopher” trying to join an elite corps of flying battlefield rescue workers during World War I in a magical field dominated by women — was a novel twist on the Harry Potter-esque magical school genre

When we last left Robert Weekes, he had achieved the seemingly impossible: he ha
Chris
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great novel by Tom Miller. I just love the details he adds to every novel. Everything is so imaginative and we'll thought out. He combines just the right amount of fantasy and history for this story to be compelling. I loved the idea of a male philosopher in a predominantly female field and the struggles Robert went through to be seen as a equal amongst his female compatriots. If you are a fan of the fantasy genre this is not a series you want to pass over.
Rachel Stansel
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This world is so beautifully developed and it's people so amazingly relatable. Despite the fantasy that is sigilry and the R&E division, I just didn't want the story to end. Robert is a remarkable character, behaving like I would like think we all would strive to. I cant recommend this series strongly enough. But read slowly. Savor the story because you will be sad when it is over.

Full disclosure- I received a copy of the book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Martha Williams
Interesting concept

I enjoyed the beginning of the book, the world turned upside down, where only women were able to fly and were in charge of the wars. Robert, the protagonist, wants to break the glass ceiling for men and become a flyer. The book seemed to drag on and it took me a month to finish it.
Leonard J Tacconi
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable and provocative book for our time.

Loved the story, nice character development and new twist on old themes. Sci-fi was interesting without overwhelming. Fun read - highly recommended.
Matt Drogemuller
A fun read

The book was well-written, imaginative, and fun. The pace of the book was good, but did not sacrifice the kind of detail that adds richness and depth to the story and its characters. I look forward to the author’s next book.
Elysa
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the sequel to The Philosopher's Flight. I think I even liked it better than the first book. I felt like this story was more put together, and I think the writing improved. I liked the characters in this novel immensely, and they made it very easy to be invested in the story.
Kathryn Graze
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cool and unique idea. Kind of in the Hemingway time period. I enjoyed it. For any one whose been excluded, makes you think about what if the tables were turned, which can happen.
Kristen McDermott
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
My review of this book will appear in Historical Novels Review 88 (May 2019).
Jonathan
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-recs
Great concept and execution.
Jill Elizabeth
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These are such incredible books - Miller's imaginative recasting of history into a female-centric world in which women rule the branch of the magical armed forces is brilliant. I don't normally read war stories - and this is, above all else, a story about the brutality of World War I - and I had a tough time with the heavy emphasis on the warfare. But Miller does such an incredible job bringing his world and his characters to life, that I found myself engaged almost despite myself. If I enjoyed ...more
Brian
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and deep

What a blast. A hoot of a ride, much magic (er, empirical philosophy, sorry!) much relevance to our current times. Well done.
Bryan Cruz
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captivating

I read so much so fast, that my heart sank when I realized the book was done. This book definitely left me wanting more. Great job, Mr. Miller!
Aga Dadura
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and elaborate world

Women are ruling this version of early 20th century world and it’s refreshing to see. Easy to read, a story of an underdog that you will root for.
Teresa Stenlund
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SO GOOD! I loved this book, however, I wouldn't say I loved it more than the first. It was still exciting and a great read. Miller definitely kept expanding the world of Empirical Philosophy, and it didn't feel diluted at all. I'm so excited for the third book in this series... I'm mad I finished this book already because now I have to wait longer than I would like for the next one!
Ronald Milano
Jodi Rizzotto
Mar 10, 2018
Dolores H Silk
Apr 02, 2018
  • Vigil (Verity Fassbinder #1)
  • The Sisters Mederos
  • The Uploaded
  • The Witness for the Dead (The Goblin Emperor, #2)
  • Hope for the Best (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #10)
  • Starlings
  • The Monsters In Your Neighborhood (Monstrosity, #2)
  • They Promised Me the Gun Wasn't Loaded
  • Death in Kew Gardens (Kat Holloway Mysteries, #3)
  • Arabella The Traitor of Mars (Adventures of Arabella Ashby, #3)
  • Plaguewalker
  • Deadly Wedding (Deadly, #2)
  • A Son of the Middle Border
  • The Book of Peril (The Last Oracle #2)
  • Triquetra
  • Insistence of Vision
  • Runes of the North
  • The Affair of the Mysterious Letter
Tom Miller grew up in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin. He graduated from Harvard University and went on to earn an MFA in creative writing from the University of Notre Dame and an MD from the University of Pittsburgh. While writing The Philosopher's Flight, he worked as a travel guidebook writer, EMT, and college English instructor. He's now an emergency room doctor in Madison, Wisconsin. The Philosopher's F ...more

The Philosophers Series (2 books)
  • The Philosopher's Flight