Start by marking “The Awakened Woman: Remembering & Reigniting Our Sacred Dreams” as Want to Read:
The Awakened Woman: Remembering  & Reigniting Our Sacred Dreams

The Awakened Woman: Remembering & Reigniting Our Sacred Dreams

Winner of the 2017 NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Literary Work—Instructional

Through one incredible woman’s journey from a child bride in a small Zimbabwe village to one of the world’s most recognizable voices in women’s empowerment and education, this manifesto inspires women to pursue their sacred dreams through nine essential lessons brought forth from ancient
Published October 3rd 2017 by Atria/Enliven Books

To ask other readers questions about The Awakened Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Awakened Woman

Start your review of The Awakened Woman: Remembering & Reigniting Our Sacred Dreams
Jeni
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommendations
Highly recommend the book. Tererai spoke at my luncheon and she is a fierce and powerful advocate for the power of women to change the world. The book is both a fascinating tale of her life and a guide for women who want to realize a dream.
Jessica Noel
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Women need to read this book!
Ada Chi
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Omg, this book was POWERFUL! Amazing, and deep. A must read for every woman who wants to change her life for the better.
Yuliia
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
It’s a nice book, a story about defying all odds and reaching your goals, or as author puts it- sacred dreams.
Joelene Swearingen
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the best self-help books I have read in a while in that the author does an excellent job giving you practical instructions on how to search your inner self and awaken your dreams. I enjoyed how she mixed in her personal experiences with her suggestions. I never felt like she was preaching or talking down to her audience. I would recommend this book to anyone struggling with "what they want to be when they grow up."
Literary Jewels
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kelly Brill
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I use Goodreads primarily for myself - to remember what I've read. I don't like rating books. Tererai Trent is a 5-star person, without a doubt. Named Oprah's Favorite Guest Ever, I only heard of her this year when she spoke at the Cleveland City Club Forum. Her journey from an 18-year-old mother of four (and abused wife) living in a cattle-herding village in Zimbabwe to a PhD is inspiring. But (as another reviewer put it here), a little too "joo-joo" for me. Parts I liked, parts I highlighted, ...more
Nancy Baskerville
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Powerful book. It is definitely a book I would read again and use as a reference. Trent gave some real doable advice you could apply to your life. It was well written and I would definitely recommend this book to every woman. The book was encouraging and inspirational.
Dawn Wells
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent
Julie
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I really liked the stories in this book. Overall it was a great message. The writing was too preachy.
Stacey
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I didn't agree with everything. Though there were a few nuggets of information that encouraged and inspired me. Chapter 8 on friendships and sisterhood is awesome.
Wit & Wonder Books
** ARC provided by the author for an honest review **

Nominated for a 2017 NAACP Image Award, The Awakened Woman: Remembering & Reigniting Our Sacred Dreams by Dr. Tererai Trent is an inspiring and motivating manifesto written to encourage women to realize and achieve their dreams.

Through her personal experiences Tererai offers advice and suggestions on how to accomplish your dreams. Her amazing story of defying the odds and obtaining her goal of an education after life as a child bride in
Alex
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I first heard Tererai’s story when she was featured as a guest on a podcast I listened to fervently last year. That interview was what drew me to this book.

In essence, this book is a self-help book. She discusses her story - a beautiful and inspiring story, to say the least - in examples more in sequential autobiographical form. The “meat” of this book is more of a spiritual guidance heavy with African influence (which I appreciate, but is very very different to Western approaches to
Philippe Lazaro
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: human-rights
“There is a deeper hunger that lies within us, waiting to be discovered. It is the innate human hunger to support one another.”

–Dr. Tererai Trent

Book No. 05 of 2017

This was a fascinating read. Dr. Trent’s story is a journey from being a child bride to a doctor to giving back to her village in Zimbabwe through education, en route to accomplishing her five written dreams. This is part memoir, part exploration into scientific and spiritual ideas that are relevant to her story, part manifesto of
Janene Ásgeirsson
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had the pleasure of seeing Tererai Trent speak live at a women’s leadership conference this year. She is amazing! This book dives deeper into the topics she discussed in her speech. What she overcame in her life to be able to fulfill her dreams is incredible. We can achieve anything we set our hearts too. Sacred sisters unite!
The Authoress
One of the most inspiring and thought-provking books I've read this year. Will be writing a more detailed review once I've gone through my notes. I think the best part of this book was the activities at the end of each chapter. I wrote down my answers to most of them, and some of my biggest breakthroughs this year came from these reflections.
Vanessa Chavez
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book was very inspirational! Her stories were so interesting to read, really putting you in her shoes. But a good amount of the book was repetitive. Phrases like “your dreams should be for the greater good” were written way too many times for my liking. But I know she uses repetition throughout her life to achieve her dreams, so it may be just a personal opinion.
Loren
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love this so much. She spoke at the 2019 NCCWSL conference and her speech made me want to buy this book. I skipped over the self help stuff (just because I wasn't that interested in it), and read the chapter/memoir parts solely. So good. Such an inspiration!
Amber Tamm
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is so poetic and inspiring. I highly recommend!
Shannan Harper
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I requested this book after a recommendation from an online friend. Interesting read and it was enjoyable.
Jeannie
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding of one woman's journey to be a vital force in the lives of other women and to make a difference for all the world.
Judy Pinella
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very inspirational. Good story
Kelly K
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This is such an inspiring book. It's amazing what Tererai has accomplished in her life when the stage was set against her.
Teresa Quiñonez
4.5| Valió la pena cada página en cada una de ellas hay tanto que aprender, analizar e implementar en la vida.
Carly Morrison
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is wonderfully inspiring story of Dr Tererai Trent quest for education as well as inspiring you to follow the path of your dreams but also to positively impact the lives of others.
Sabrina
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emocional , sororidad, informativo y de ayuda.
Siân
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an important book. It really is more than a self help or motivational story. It is a book for women. Some of which will absorb the messages in it and others will not be capable or ready to do so.
Tash
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Intrresting read. Liked how she meshed her personal stories with educating about spiritual awakening and feminism. I feel I learnt a lot too about traditional Shona practices and had some stuff I heard as a child refreshed or explained more. I certainly didnt expect it to be the style it was in but really appreciated the creativity and uniqueness of her writing.
Josephine Olok
Outstanding book! Thank you Dr Tererai Trent for inspiring me to find my great hunger and for being my spiritual Sahwira. This book will now become my bible to finding that passion and purpose that connects me to the greater good.
Lisa Watson
Apr 19, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • Super Attractor: Methods for Manifesting a Life beyond Your Wildest Dreams
  • Your Dream Life Starts Here
  • Smart Women Finish Rich: 9 Steps to Achieving Financial Security and Funding Your Dreams
  • The Soul of Money: Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Life
  • Unbowed
  • Happier Now: How to Stop Chasing Perfection and Embrace Everyday Moments (Even the Difficult Ones)
  • 't Hooge Nest
  • Forever Outnumbered: Tales of Our Family Life from Instagram's Father of Daughters
  • The Gene Keys: Unlocking the Higher Purpose Hidden in Your DNA
  • Rise Sister Rise: A Guide to Unleashing the Wise, Wild Woman Within
  • Tenure hacks
  • Until We Are Free: My Fight for Human Rights in Iran
  • The Witches Are Coming
  • Eat Yourself Healthy: An easy-to-digest guide to health and happiness from the inside out
  • Healthy Baking: Cakes, Cookies + Raw (Healthy Chef)
  • The Skincare Bible: Your No-Nonsense Guide to Great Skin