Jump to ratings and reviews

Ready or Not!: 150+ Make-Ahead, Make-Over, and Make-Now Recipes by Nom Nom Paleo

Ready or Not, it's a new cookbook from the James Beard award-nominees and New York Times best-selling creators of Nom Nom Paleo, the wildly popular blog, app, and best-selling cookbook!

You know how it is: some days, you're fired up and ready to cook; other days, you dread the thought of making dinner. More often than not, you find yourself floating somewhere between inspiration and desperation. What's a crazy busy (but kind of lazy) home cook to do?

The answer: pick up this book. Ready or Not makes healthy Paleo home cooking a breeze, no matter if there's time to prepare or just minutes to spare. Whether you're a fastidious planner or a last-minute improviser, you'll find plenty of deliciously nourishing options, from make-ahead feasts to lightning-fast leftover makeovers. Presented in Nom Nom Paleo's deliriously fun comic book style, Ready or Not makes Paleo cooking easy, no matter how much time you have. In fact, this cookbook is organized into color-coded sections to match your readiness level:
GET SET! First, stock your kitchen with essential building blocks--from store-bought necessities to D.I.Y. ingredients that'll set you up for anytime cooking.
READY! Got time to cook? Turn to these recipes for make-ahead meals and spectacular dishes like Pressure Cooker Bo Ssäm and Strawberry Almond Semifreddo!
KINDA READY! Learn how to transform pantry staples and leftovers into impromptu meals that'll satisfy the most discriminating palates.
NOT READY! Emergency meals can be delicious, too. In this section, you'll find super-fast recipes like savory stir-fries and sheet pan suppers.
Along with colorfully written and gorgeously photographed step-by-step recipes presented in a cheeky cartoon format, Ready or Not features kitchen hacks, Paleo ingredient guides, meal plans, shopping lists and more!

352 pages, Hardcover

First published August 1, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Michelle Tam

13 books120 followers
New York Times bestselling cookbook author Michelle Tam is the critically acclaimed co-creator of Nom Nom Paleo, the Saveur Best Food Blog Award winning website and Webby Award winning cooking app. Her debut cookbook, Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans, was nominated for a James Beard Foundation Award, and her eagerly-anticipated second cookbook, Ready or Not!, hits bookstores this August.

A native Californian, Michelle studied nutrition and food science at UC Berkeley, and earned her doctorate in pharmacy from UC San Francisco. Michelle and her family currently split their time between Palo Alto, California and Portland, Oregon.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
25 (2%)
1 star
6 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 112 reviews
Profile Image for Jill McGill.
223 reviews180 followers
August 8, 2017
Well, Michelle Tam has done it again! Ready or Not! is the perfect follow-up to her Nom Nom Paleo cookbook.

In this cookbook, you will find high-quality, delicious recipes that are very easy to follow. For those that are visual like me, you will absolutely love all the colorful pictures of each recipe, you definitely don't see that in most cookbooks. You will also find beautiful illustrations with fun and entertaining personal cartoons throughout.

What I really loved the most was the first chapter, you get a complete explanation of the Paleo lifestyle with an in-depth list of supplies that you will need in your kitchen - perfect for the beginner.

Another plus for me was the recipe index, this will show you how to prepare a meal in advance, show you how to freeze it, and show you how to cook a meal for people who have different types of food allergies.

A must read for anyone on or just starting out on the Paleo lifestyle - Highly recommended!

*I want to thank NetGalley and Andrews McMeel Publishing for the ARC of this book.
Profile Image for bibliophile .
344 reviews
October 4, 2017
One of the best cookbooks I have ever owned: full of flavor, colorful step by step pictures including how to stick your pantry, great for any level of cooking experience & perfect for those of us that want to cook healthy flavorful meals with little time! These authors inspired one of my favorite kitchen purchase: Instant Pot pressure cooker 🙌🏽 #lifechanging
Profile Image for GONZA.
6,262 reviews103 followers
August 1, 2017
The first NOM NOM Book was a sort of revelation to me so I was delighted to keep on reading about this funny family and their recipes. Very well written and explained and super pictures!

Il primo libro di cucina NOM NOM era stato per me una rivelazione, quindi sono stata contentissima di poter leggere anche questo secondo per continuare ad imparare da questa divertente famiglia che cucina ricette particolari, ma non troppo difficili perché ben spiegata e con ottime fotografie.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY FOR THE PREVIEW!
Profile Image for Janis Hill.
Author 3 books10 followers
September 9, 2017
I would like to thank Andrews McMeel Publishing for providing me with a free electronic ARC of this book, via Netgalley, in exchange for an open and honest review.

Well, I have to start by saying this is a very different cook book to the ones I am used to reading and reviewing and, for a while, I wasn’t too sure if I was finding it refreshingly different or just a little too off centre for my liking. So, yeah, mixed feelings about the layout and formatting, but we will get to that later.

What I did love about ‘Ready or Not!’ is that it is my sort of paleo. I am a whole foods, make from scratch but nobody’s perfect sort of person… In fact I am known for calling myself perfectly imperfect and sometimes just eat cereal for dinner (gluten free and in activated almond milk but still cereal)!

And I really do find the term ‘Paleo’ has been given a really bad name in recent years as it’s gone from a generic term for just plain and simple whole food eating to anti this and ban that and “it’s all meat and you must hunt it yourself or you’re not a Paleo”…. I hate labels. And so refuse to call myself paleo due to all this negativity. It’s not a cult people! It’s a suggestion on how to eat food!

Which is why I loved ‘Ready or Not!’ as it not only seems to follow a similar perfectly imperfect lifestyle, but also seems to have gone back to the old style, far more flexible approach to paleo and so I am not ashamed to say I have read it… Or now follow ‘Nom Nom Paleo - Michelle Tan’ on Facebook. What can I say? Her food looks amazing and the recipes are simple and very easy to follow.

I will state here and now that my own personal food allergies and intolerances (recapping for those who don’t know me - wheat, allium, seafood, dairy to name a few) mean that not all recipes were suitable for me… while some could be fine-tuned to suit my needs and others were perfect to just go with… I’m looking at you Pina Colada Tapioca pudding!

So another reason to have mixed emotions as not every recipe in ‘Ready or Not!’ could be made in my house. And so as much as the book tempts and excites me with its differences… I am also disappointed it is yet another cook book that is hit and miss for my diet. Won’t anyone think of the allium intolerant? ;-)

Okay, back to the layout and formatting of ‘Ready or Not!’ and me stating it’s very different to the norm. I mean, my 12 year old daughter loves it, but she is really into Manga and graphic novels - as well as inheriting my cook book addiction. It is indeed rather… unique being set out like a manga book but then again I think our modern new home cooks would like it as it has the set by set pictures and instructions, it has the smiley faces and constant chatter of making it like a one on one cooking conversation and would give them that feeling instant gratification the younger generation seems to need.

But for me? And my love of 100 year old (and then some) cook books that consist of a paragraph or two and the belief the reader knows their way around a kitchen and doesn’t need to be spoon fed each ingredient… yeah, I can’t say I enjoyed the manga style that much. A little too dumbed down and babyish for me.

Oh, and it is written for an American audience so uses imperial measurements and the American names for foods - such a cilantro rather than coriander. This may be a stumbling block for some new cooks here in Australia but who knows? Do Aussie kids still say capsicum rather than peppers? Maybe I am just outdated again. ;-)

However! What I did love about the layout was how the recipes were broken down into different “are you ready?” sections… Hence the name ‘Ready or Not!’ I guess.

There is the intro that tells you all about how the book is laid out, then then prep section for sauces and other basics. Then we hit the section where you have all the time in the world to cook. The section for having some time to cook and the section on having no time and just wanting a wholesome family meal ASAP. This was great as I have days like this where I either have all the time in the world, a little time or none at all and so the idea of having a go to recipe idea for each time limit was great. Again, not all the recipes in any of these sections suited my personal dietary restrictions, but I really did love that layout as I honestly feel it a great way to encourage more people to skip the instant meals and take away and try their hand at some simple but tasty whole food home cooked meals.

So, yeah, a bit of a like/ unlike relationship happening here. :-D I love the passion, enthusiasm and talent shown by Ms Tan and her family and I do love the styles of meals as Cantonese food - via Darwin - is my childhood comfort food. And so there was some definite connection there that has made this book somewhat appealing despite my also dislike of it. Oh dear, I am getting a split personality over it! :-D

Would I recommend this book to others?

You know, I think I would. But I would be recommending it to the younger generations. I can’t see myself or my mother wanting to race out and buy it… but I can see myself buying it for my daughter to add to her slowing increasing cook book collection.

It is a good cook book, but just one meant more for the modern generation rather than an old fuddy duddy like me. ;-)

Would I buy this book for myself?

Ummm, I MIGHT sneak an electronic copy onto my tablet as a “just in case” as there were some really appealing recipes in ‘Ready or Not!’ or I might buy a paper version for my daughter and pinch it from time to time. I really can’t be sure… it interests me and I love the vibe Ms Tan has created… but manga cook books just go against my grain. ;-)

In summary: a great cook book for the next generation of whole food home cooks.
Profile Image for Katie.
441 reviews3 followers
March 23, 2019
Paleo or not, Michelle Tam's books are delicious! We have loved every recipe we have tried from this book. Especially like that she includes a bunch of Instant Pot friendly dishes. Love all the pictures and the great time saving ideas.

Only two things I wasn't crazy about. 1) The layout - I understand why the book is divided the way it is (based on how prepared you are vs. ingredients or types of recipes), but I wasn't crazy about it. 2) The serving sizes are ridiculously huge. I seriously can't figure it out. If it says it makes 4 servings, expect to actually get at least 8. We are not stingy eaters, but these recipes make WAY more than we can eat. An example: the "chicken curry in a hurry" recipe made enough for all three of us to have seconds....and two more meals of leftovers.
Profile Image for Chelee Ellis.
26 reviews3 followers
December 24, 2017
I’m a huge Michelle Tam enthusiast! I know when I make one of her recipe’s it will turn out and will be delicious. I love this book concept. Have a lot of time? She’s got some recipe’s for you. Little to no time? She’s got your back!

Her cookbooks and blog have made me a better cook and have helped me branch out and have fun in the kitchen. I find the inclusion of her family charming and the animation is too cute for words.

Thanks again, Michelle and family for another jewel in my kitchen.
Profile Image for زينب.
232 reviews73 followers
July 10, 2018
I was expecting something else when I got this book. So, I was disappointed. Also, the recipes are not my type. I don't like to cook with lots of 'weird' ingredients. However, I love the way it's written. I wish all cookbooks were written this way.
Profile Image for Emily Joyce.
392 reviews19 followers
December 18, 2017
paleo cookbooks are inherently insufferable, but this is a great layout and I enjoyed all of the recipes I sampled!
Profile Image for Mary.
643 reviews1 follower
September 7, 2017
Educational and absolutely delightful. this is a "must-purchase" for paleo eaters but would also be a great intro cookbook for anyone interested in experimenting with paleo: a diet that steers clear of processed foods in favor of healthy fats, quality meats and lots and lots of veggies!

Ready or Not! is SOLID, well-organized, and easy to use. The pages are sturdy, the binding is strong and there are photos of every step in every recipe! This cookbook is open on my counter right now, and this spot will likely be its home for the rest of the year as I cook my way through the book.

So far I've made:

Sunday Gravy (twice!) - and Italian-style meat sauce perfect for zoodles or baked potatoes. I love that this makes a healthy serving so I can freeze half for later, and I also love that it's a building block for other delicious meals. My kids gobbled it up!

Quick Pickles - made this with both cucumber coins and carrot sticks. Slightly spicy for the kiddos but perfect for me. Great way to get more veggies! Taste was more intense in the cucumbers, naturally!

Roasted Onion Soup - I burnt the sh*t out of the garlic but the onions fared beautifully and created this tasty, comforting soup. Not what I would consider kid-friendly but I thought was quick and easy and with some protein, a great way to start my morning.

Souvlaki - So tasty and downright quick. We added pineapple to our skewers (no marinade), and I ate these with gusto for two days. Tastes great with rice or paleo rice!

The comics are adorable, the photos are beautiful, the dinner plans and grocery lists are helpful, and I adore this cookbook. A+!
Profile Image for Kathy.
249 reviews2 followers
August 19, 2017
This looks like a keeper, step by step pictures!!
I like the green beast dressing and all of the vegetable receipes. I like the casual way the book is set up.

As usual uses ingredients that are for food above my pay grade, but I just either skip that stuff or use something else.
Profile Image for Maurício Linhares.
150 reviews40 followers
August 31, 2017
Well, not really surprising that this is an amazing book, but the weekly meal plans are most likely the best part. Lots of Central America and Southeast Asian inspired pieces, lots of fish sauce, hot peppers and chicken (yes, paleo people are not only eating red meat and bacon) and lots and lots of vegetables. It definitely feels like this book asks for much more veggies than the previous one, which is also a huge win.

Starting my cooking soon!
Profile Image for Tara.
1,220 reviews
May 2, 2017
I received this arc from Netgalley for an honest review. This is another great Non Nom Paleo cookbook. If your interest in Paleo or want easy recipes these books are for you. Not only is there great recipes and information but there's also humor found within. I can't wait to get my hands on a physical copy.
Profile Image for Anusha Narasimhan.
263 reviews252 followers
August 20, 2017
I love a book that makes me want to cook and eat healthy food. Not only does it give a Paleo 101, it also offers great recipes and tips. With illustrations and photographs, the presentation was unique and appealing. Recommended to people who want to learn how to cook simple and healthy food. Thanks to Andrews McMeel Publishing for the ARC.
Profile Image for Alex Can Read.
253 reviews9 followers
July 31, 2017
I recieved an eARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

Michelle Tam, also known by her blog name Nom Nom Paleo, is at it again. She brings her signature wit, charm and realistic approach to Paleo cooking to her second cookbook in spades. Ready or Not! Features 150+ make ahead or ��make-now” meals.

In this beautiful book, once again filled with cartoon drawings of the whole family done by her husband and co-author Henry Fong, Tam shares the kind of recipe many of us are looking for: easy, delicious, and on whatever timetable you have at your fingertips. It’s an added bonus that many of the recipes are easily labeled “healthy” since Nom Nom Paleo is a blog dedicated to the Paleo lifestyle. While I don’t adhere to the Paleo diet, I’m familiar with its parameters and find many of Tam’s recipes mouthwatering and delicious.

I own her first cookbook and cook from it frequently. I can tell Ready or Not is going to have a permanent home on the counter, rather than living over on the cookbook shelf. It’s apparent from the book that her blog and lifestyle truly is a family affair. Her kids and husband feature as illustrations and contributors throughout.

Tam doesn’t preach endlessly about the benefits of Paleo, she gives a quick overview and moves on to the good stuff, what we’re really here for – the quick and easy recipes. She organizes the book into four “readiness” levels, rather than dish or component, so depending on where you’re at in meal planning, from “I’m sitting down now to plan for the week” to “I need dinner on the table NOW!” you know just where to look in the book. It’s a well thought-out organization, that’s very user-friendly.

The first actual cooking section “Get Ready” is full of sauces, salsas, dressings, and condiments, with a few other meal components such as hard boiled eggs and pre-roasted chicken breasts. Many of the recipes are Paleo-ized versions of sauces easily found at the grocery store such as hoisin sauce, gojuchang or Thai peanut sauce. For people not eating the Paleo diet, this section is really the least helpful or interesting. I’m personally just going to buy the sauce in the jar from the store. She also spends time in this section outlining useful basic kitchen tools and pantry items, which is great advice for a novice chef. The best part of this section is at the end when she lists ways to mix and match these super basics into quick meals like Mexi-Chicken Salad using the chicken, salsa, smoky lime pepitas and some avocado.

The “Ready” section is for those times when you actually have time to sit down, meal plan and do some food prep for the rest of the week. Lots of slow/pressure cooker recipes fill these pages, along with a few soups and crunchy things. My personal favorite recipe of the section was the Mok Mok Wings, which is reminiscent of the fish sauce laden wings at the iconic Portland restaurant Pok Pok. The Nom Nom Family has a second house in PDX, so it’s not a leap to guess they’re related flavor-wise.

The “Kinda Ready” section is where the going really gets good though. It’s comprised of recipes that are quick to throw together and lean on stuff you’ve probably already got in the pantry or the leftovers from earlier in the week before you lost your motivation to cook for the week. It’s the inspiration a lot of us lack when we’re staring at the fridge on a Wednesday night after a long day at work when dinner just needs to be on the table and take out isn’t gonna cut it.

Finally, the “Not Ready” section is the section for “Oh my god just put food on the table” nights. Some of these recipes had me a bit skeptical – for example, one of the first recipes in the section is a soup that has a pretty long list of ingredients and takes 15 minutes hands on/45 minutes total to make. Not sure that I’d call that quick. Her egg drop soup and following variations are quick however and delicious. Definitely what I’d consider appropriate for this section.

The final section of the book is the roadmap section, where Tam puts together weekly meal plans and shopping lists, to really make this whole cooking during the week thing seem feasible. A really nice addition to the book, making it extra friendly to the busy home cook who wants to eat healthier.

Parts of the book read like product ads, as Tam is a big fan of both the InstantPot pressure cooker and Red Boat Fish Sauce. She devotes pages to both these products, which feels a little weird.

The recipes themselves are laid out almost like a comic book, but using real photographs of the process rather than simple description or drawings. And, while a number of the recipes are Paleo-ized Asian or Asian-inspired, this is not an Asian cookbook. There are recipes for chicken tinga, baby back ribs, souvlaki and buffalo wings as well. I love a lot of Asian flavors so Ready or Not is absolutely packed with recipes that appeal to my palate.

All in all, Ready or Not is a book I plan to purchase for myself, though I knock a full star off because while it’s very useful and a fun resource, it just didn’t excite me the way other cookbooks do.
Profile Image for Chris From RecipesNow!.
96 reviews1 follower
August 1, 2017
Ready Or Not! (150+ Make Ahead, Make Over, and Make Now Recipes by nom nom Paleo from authors Michelle Tam and Henry Fong) was created to be the go-to book for fast, easy to prepare, Paleo recipes. Perfect for when there’s no time to make a good meal. This book is focused on making a healthy impact on your life, cooking your own food – whether you’re ready to cook or not.

With offerings of make ahead, reheat and eat dishes, and last-minute options there should be a recipe for any need. For those like myself, who are not particularly familiar with Paleo cooking, there is a brief explanation of the process. The two-page description was very informative and easy to follow. The book concentrates more on what you should be eating rather than what you shouldn’t, which is a nice change. Using a fun cartoon style, the author also includes an explanation of how to use the book, which came in handy.

After the Paleo description and explanations, the author then begins with the “What Do I Need To Do To Get Set?” section which helps you set up your kitchen and prepare for your “nomtastically butt-kicking” meals. Here, you learn everything you need to know about how to set up your kitchen, utensils, appliances etc. It then goes on to explain how to set up the Paleo pantry. You learn what vegetables, what meat, everything to stock in your pantry for what you’ll be cooking.

Lots Of Choice

With over 150 recipes, there are a lot of choices for any need. Whether or not you’re cooking a quick meal or able to prepare ahead making ingredients that will be used for several different meals. Most of the recipes have many pictures, giving you step-by-step instructions, and pictures for each step of the process. With the level of detail here, I think even a novice cook would be able to successfully create many of the recipes on file.

The recipes are divided into three categories, followed by meal planning:

Ready! Prep-Ahead Recipes For When You Have Your $#!t Together
Kinda Ready! Easy Meals ‘Cause You Got A Head Start
Not Ready! Emergency Fast Food That Tastes Good
Beyond Ready! Blueprints For Everyday Cooking

Interestingly, there are two indexes. The traditional index, sorted by title, is second but the first index is the really helpful one. This recipe index is awesome because it doesn’t just give you a list of all of the recipes included in the book. It gives you a breakdown of which recipes are in each category, broken into sub categories. It also charts which recipes are “Whole30 Friendly”, “Nut-Free (Not Including Coconut)”, “Egg-Free”, “Nightshade Free”, and “Freezer Friendly”. I’ve never seen a more helpful index in my life. The only issue I had was that there was no explanation for “Nightshade Free” but that is Google-able.

Any one considering the Paleo diet should definitely try this book, it is extremely informative. I think even a very beginner cook, would be able to follow the easy step-by-step instructions.

See the full review with a recipe for Mango Turmeric Tonic online at the RecipesNow! Reviews and Recipes Magazine. This review was based on a complimentary copy of the book sent to me by the publishers in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Cee.
2,293 reviews92 followers
July 30, 2017
*I received this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

After trying to read the first book, but running out of time and being put back on the hold list at my library, I found this one on Netgalley and knew I needed to snatch it up.

My fiance and I have been eating paleo (ish) for a few months now. It agrees with us, but I'm a horrible and lazy cook. Because of this I often need to look at recipes multiple times and I still get them wrong lol. Although I have a few good standbys. So, yeah, I'm always down to look at more paleo cookbooks.

This cookbook is beautiful. I love all the pictures which make the book so interesting and nice to look through. It is a cute and fun.
The set up is interesting too--definitely not what you see often, with the contents divided by how much time you have and if you have anything prepped to go! There is also a guide in the back which has all the recipes with their page#, and if they include eggs, nightshade, nuts, are freezer friendly, and/or whole 30 friendly. I only wish they included fish to this hahaha because unfortunately my fiance is allergic to fish and I can't eat it.

That being said, there are a TON of fish included recipes here (this is including fish sauce using recipes). So, kinda a bummer for me, but I can always just not use the fishy stuff and hope for the best ^_^
The other negative for me is that, as I said earlier, I am so lazy. Going into the kitchen is always a battle for me, so I push it off until the last minute or I get so absorbed in something I don't realize I have to cook until it is time to eat. So, I probably won't use this cookbook too much.... :( I don't think I'll spend time to make sauces and then use them later to make the food.
I also don't have a pressure cooker, so that leaves off more recipes.

In the end, this cookbook doesn't work for my lifestyle, but I loved reading it and looking through it and there are a few recipes I've bookmarked to try later. This is a book I'm sure many people--even not strictly paleo people can use!

Happy eating!
Profile Image for Lara.
1,596 reviews
August 14, 2017
The second Nom Nom Paleo cookbook takes a different approach. The book is organized to support meal planning rather than based on the type of meal or ingredient. There are a number of recipes for condiments and common sides, such as sauces and wraps. The other recipe sections are organized based on the amount of preparation required prior to cooking, the ability to make batches for use in future meals, and for quick meals. Mixed into the sections are recipes for beverages and desserts as well. Recipes such as make-ahead chicken breasts are used as ingredients for several other recipes throughout the book.

Each recipe has an introduction, ingredient list, clear step-by-step instructions, and a full-color photo. There are also step-by-step photos for each recipe. Several recipes include an explanation for variations using a slow cooker or pressure cooker as well. I made a beverage and a main course. The beverage was the Watermelon Coconut Cooler, which was incredibly easy to make and absolutely delicious. It was slightly sweet and very refreshing. The main dish was Green Onion Ginger Chicken, which was a simple and highly flavored roast chicken recipe. The breasts turned out moist and very tasty without the need for brining.

While I appreciated the thought that went into how each recipe fit into meal planning, I did find it harder to navigate the organization. I loved the many photos and found the cartoon explanations made the book accessible. Some of the recipes are ones that can be found on the authors' website, but I didn't mind that as the book makes it easier to find them.

This book is something of a step back as it provides a simpler approach to eating a Paleo diet. It felt more like a basic cookbook, for those who have not cooked much and find the idea of having to prepare a lot of their own meals intimidating. I reviewed a digital ARC I received through NetGalley, but liked the book enough I purchased a hardcover copy as well.
Profile Image for Amanda.
1,454 reviews66 followers
May 19, 2017
Thank you to Netgalley, Andrews McMeel Publishing, Michelle Tam, and Henry Fong for the chance to read and review this ARC;

I love, love, love NomNomPaleo, NomNomPaleo Podcat, Michelle Tam, Henry Fong and the Double "O's for years, and so I jumped on this like a hot cake the second I saw I could add it to my Netgalley ARC's pile. I can tell you right from the get go that nothing about this book disappointed and that I'm glad I read it and reviewed it the same day I got my hands on it.

From the beginning, I love that you feel like you are in the house of this family, just like the website and the podcast makes you feel. It starts with cartoons of the family as well as family shot photos of all of them together in their house. I love the art on the website and am glad to see its transition here in the same fashion.

I love that the first chapter is devoted to explaining to you the lifestyle of paleo, handling all the necessary questions so anyone picking up this book of a bookshelf won't get lost. From there we get an in-depth view of the supplies you need to have in your kitchen to cook everyday paleo, both including the things you should have in your kitchen for cooking in the way of devices and objects as well as foods.

Then we jump into "the meat of the book" as the book, itself, puts it with a million mouthwatering recipes bound to make any person realize just how flavorful, colorful and multifaceted the eating of a paleo lifestyle can be.
Profile Image for Amy.
Author 2 books149 followers
December 24, 2017
First of all, if you're interested in getting this book, I recommend not getting the e-book. I found it hard to navigate. the breakdown of the cook book , into Get Set, Ready, Kinda Ready, and Not Ready is a nice idea, but flipping back and forth on my kindle app was ultimately really annoying. Each recipe is broken down into ingredients and illustrated steps (kinda like a comic or graphic book), which again is good, but made it difficult to see the whole procedure on one page to see if it really was what you want to cook at any given moment, ready or not.

Having griped about that now, and wishing, seriously wishing, I'd gotten the hard copy (and too cheap to buy the book a second time), I really like Tam's approach to cooking and eating. We are not Paleo committed-- but when you have restrictions placed on you by food allergies and intolerances, sometimes Paleo is a good option. I pretty much have to play with any recipe I cook, to meet our needs, but there's less fiddling with these.

Content: thumbs up
e-book layout: thumbs down.

I really wish I had gotten hard copy. :(
Profile Image for Jessie Young.
391 reviews7 followers
May 7, 2017
She's done it once again!!! Her first book is my very favorite paleo book. This one will be my new favorite. So many amazing recipes presented in an easy to follow fun way! There are so many pictures in this book. Every step is photographed for some recipes. It's great to be able to see what my food should be looking like. Visual learners this book is for you. Everything is broken down into manageable steps. There is great background information and tons of practical help for those new to paleo cooking. The recipes vary in difficulty but none are unattainable by any means. There are multiple cooking methods included. Instantpot recipes are plentiful! She even presents different methods to cook the same recipe.

The book has tons of cartoons in it so my kids loved it too. I want them to love cooking and these features have really made them love to look at the cookbooks.

I received a digital copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. I will be purchasing this book when it comes out!
Profile Image for Ami.
302 reviews60 followers
August 2, 2017
Months ago, I happened across one of Michelle's live FB videos where she demonstrated yummy recipes and, of course, made a plug for her new book. I pre-ordered it on a whim and then promptly forgot about it so it was a lovely surprise when it arrived today and it's A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. I've read much of it (the discussion areas), paged through the majority of all the great recipes and a list of stuff we want try is steadily growing. My special needs son is especially eager to try several recipes. This is also quite serendipitous because my family has been discussing eating healthier and moving back toward the more Paleo diet we enjoyed a few years ago so we have no more excuses with this new resource at our fingertips. I especially love how the recipes were broken down by the amount of prep time as that is especially helpful for this super busy household. The 4 week menu in the back looks yummy and I'm super tempted to do it this month. For those interested, the majority of the recipes are Whole30 friendly.
October 25, 2017
I wish all cookbooks followed this format!
Meaning, she explains the WHOLE process of cooking! Not just hey ..here's some recipes .."Go"

Not everyone knows about the setup prep before you cook, to make your life easier. OR which cooking utensils that work best.

Recipes fail the user because they aren't setup successfully with instruction prep prior to cooking!
ie. using the right tools, reading a recipe properly , or they assume they understand the basics! (I'm almost 40, mom of 3 & I learned many new basic things that I was originally doing wrong or wasted time on! )

This book makes sure you do not fail!! As did her previous book! Honestly just her general instructions on "how to cook properly" are enough reason to buy this book! The recipes are just Ultimate bonus.

My overall favorite parts of the book:

1.) guidance on the best cooking tools
2.) how to properly read a recipe (yes, folks ppl screw this up)
3.) Directions on how your food should be set up prior to cooking
4.) Meals my non paleo family actually love! They truly don't miss the empty/processed carbs they're use to eating. (Adios, Rice-a-roni)
5.) Recipes plans that work for everyone's budget & cooking time.

Profile Image for Beth.
794 reviews41 followers
March 13, 2018
Much like Nom Nom Paleo's first cookbook, this is chock full of delicious-looking recipes, very easy instructions, and humor. I love the setup, organizing recipes into how much effort it takes to make them. And the four weeks of meal planning guide in the back are helpful, too. I would follow it 100% if I wasn't on such a medically-restricted diet right now. But even though I can't have 60% of what's in this book, I've already made plans to make the 40% I *can* have. Some of it is so creative, and there are a lot of Asian recipes I've never seen before, which is fun. For someone who gets tired of the same stuff over and over again, needs throw-together recipes that are also delicious, cannot spend a ton of money on exotic things, but also has a restricted diet, this cookbook and the first one by this family are fantastic.
(also, in case you were wondering, both cookbooks explain the paleo diet as this family follows it, but neither proselytize the diet or come across as defensive about their choice to follow it- YAY!)
Profile Image for Leith Devine.
1,332 reviews89 followers
May 12, 2017
Thanks to Andrew McMeel Publishing and NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Ready or Not! is a great cookbook, written for those following the Paleo diet. I'm not on the Paleo diet, but Michelle Tam cooks a lot of Asian recipes that I enjoy. Her recipes are creative and delicious. She also has a lot of great recipes for the pressure cooker, which is a great time saving device. Regular ingredients are easily substituted for Paleo specific ingredients if they are unavailable or if you choose not to use them.

The recipes are illustrated with cartoons, and are well written and easy to follow. There are some great dessert recipes, which is a little unexpected in a Paleo cookbook.

I especially liked the Mok Mok Wings, Chinese Chicken in a Pressure Cooker, and the Macadamia Crusted Sriracha Ranch Salmon.

I definitely recommend this cookbook, whether or not you're on the Paleo diet.
Profile Image for Pam.
20 reviews3 followers
May 16, 2017
Many thanks to Netgalley for allowing me to view this cookbook before its release.

This is a great follow up to Nom Nom Paleo, which I purchased, and I'll likely purchase this one too! The style of this cookbook is very similar to Nom Nom Paleo and the recipes look very high quality. I really enjoyed the experience looking through this cookbook. The design is beautiful and isn't pretentious at all.

For those of us who are very visual they have photos for every recipe which is rare in most cookbooks! I think this cookbook could appeal to everyone, even those like myself who don't necessarily follow the Paleo diet.

(Hint: do yourself a favor and buy the hardcover rather than the digital edition so you can experience the cookbook!)
Profile Image for Treena.
1,342 reviews78 followers
August 5, 2017
This is another winner and must-have addition to your cookbook collection!

I have the first Nom Nom Paleo book and I frequently cook several recipes from it that are now staples to our family's menus. AND this cookbook, like that debut one, has several great recipes too! Each dish I tried was a big hit with my family. But what I loved most about this 2nd book is that there are options for meals that you can make-ahead, for things you can do with leftovers and for when you need a meal right away!

I highly recommend this book even if you don't believe in the Paleo way of life. My family is not Paleo. We just love good tasting, healthy food. Michelle Tam's recipes are so yummy and so easy to follow.
Profile Image for Wallis Chan.
112 reviews30 followers
August 23, 2017
Michelle Tam is simply the Queen of Paleo. In her latest book, she slays with a ton of versatile and easy-to-make recipes. This is a must-have cookbook of the year. The photos in the book looked crisp and gorgeous. Unlike other cookbooks, this is actually a seriously funny book. It's worth reading the book from cover to cover. You will be inspired to cook at some point during this journey. The only thing I was slightly disappointed at was the lack of 'duck dishes'. I only found one in the book (and it was awesome !). I know from watching the FB live sessions every Wed. that Michelle is also a big duck lover. So I thought there'd be more duck recipes in this book, especially the duck that can cook itself in the Instant Pot. Alas, I guess I'll have to wait for her next book.
Profile Image for Jischmidt.
31 reviews
May 30, 2021
In late winter of 2019, in an attempt to feel better, I disciplined myself to adopt a new way of eating by cooking my way through this cookbook. I rated each recipe with 1-5 stars (for flavor and ease) and wrote in comments to help me remember the ones to revisit eventually. There were quite a few I rated with 4 and 5 stars. The book is divided into sections depending on preparation times. We discovered new delicious flavors and ways of preparing food as I cooked and we ate. The weekly menus at the end aid tremendously in shopping. The recipe presentation is graphic novel-style using photos and bright animated characters of the author chef and her family and friends -- a very inviting cookbook!
44 reviews3 followers
August 20, 2017
As a way of eating, I didn't think the Paleo Diet particularly interested me. Then I read this cookbook (yes, I like to read cookbooks) Ready or Not! by Michelle Tam. Michelle Tam's writing, instructions and photographs made the food look so tasty and easy to cook that I tried some of her recipes. The food was so good that I bought the book. I'm still not sold on the Paleo Diet as a way of eating, but I am sold on Michelle Tam's book and recipes. I guess that means whether or not I adopt the Paleo Diet as a lifestyle choice, I'll be eating as if I had because I enjoy eating food made from the recipes in "Ready or Not!"
Displaying 1 - 30 of 112 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.