Start by marking “Ominous (Wyoming, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ominous (Wyoming, #2)

Ominous

(Wyoming #2)

Someone is watching. . .
New York Times bestselling authors Lisa Jackson, Nancy Bush, and Rosalind Noonan join together in a gripping novel of suspense, as a long-guarded secret plunges three friends into a new nightmare.
NO WARNING
In the photograph, three teenaged girls splash in the river on a sweltering summer evening. Shiloh, Kat, and Ruth are unaware of the man wh
Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Published July 25th 2017 by Zebra

To ask other readers questions about Ominous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ominous

Start your review of Ominous (Wyoming, #2)
Linda Strong
3.5 STARS

Fifteen years ago three teenage girls went skinny dipping. One was a detective's daughter, one was a minister's daughter, and one was a wild child. Someone was watching them. Someone attacked them. Two girls ran, and the third was assaulted. Luckily they all escaped with their lives. They made a pact to never tell anyone what happened.

All three girls left town as soon as they possibly good. Not all of them told anyone they were leaving. Several girls had disappeared and never seen again
Chloe
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Three teenage friends , Kat , Shiloh and Ruth, went skinny dipping in the night fifteen years ago. Someone was hiding in the bushes watching them. He finally appears in a ski mask and attacks Ruth. Kat and Shiloh run back to save her and manage to injure the attacker before escaping. Under Ruth’s insistence they decide to keep the assault a secret and move on with their lives.

After fifteen years they are together in their hometown under different circumstances. Ruth is a psychologist, Shiloh co
CD {Boulder Blvd}
The prologue in this book really pulled me into the lives of Ruth, Shiloh and Kat. Although the first part of the book dragged a bit, it did pick up and then it was really good.

I like the suspense of who the sexual predator was and that there were a number of options for suspects. I actually missed who it was which doesn't usually happen - not sure how I missed it.

From a romance standpoint, all three main characters have a love interest but each of the romances are significantly different and ho
Wendy
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Ominous” a chilling murder -mystery begins fifteen years in the past when three girls- Shiloh, Ruth and Kat-skinny dipping in a river one hot summer evening are accosted by the man spying on them. Although two run away they return to save their friend who’s being raped by a masked man with a “wide girth, furry skin and thick hands. Vowing secrecy as his victim was a minister’s daughter, the violence they faced in the woods changes them forever.

Years later Shiloh Silva returns to Prairie Creek,
Jeanie
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Fifteen years has past since that terrifying night when Ruth, Shiloh and Kat had snuck out and were attack by an unseen man whom they would never forget. During that time other girls had disappeared but were presumed runaways. However, Kat's father who worked as detective in a mountainous town in Wyoming thought something Ominous was going on.

The girls never reported the attack because of Ruth's family. The young daughter of the pastor of an upcoming church. The girls were haunted by what had ha
Ashley Gillan
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've seen these multi-author collaborations before, but never tried one. However, this latest venture between Lisa Jackson, Nancy Bush, and Rosalind Noonan looked good, so I decided to branch out. I have to say, I'm pretty glad I did.

"Ominous" provides the suspense, romance and mystery we've come to love from these authors, all in one volume. I greatly enjoyed it.

FYI: this novel contains multiple, graphic sexual assaults. If this is a triggering topic for you, you probably want to choose another
Linda
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Three school friends decide to skinny dip in a lake after dark, even though there have been some girls go missing in their small town. They see what they think is a lighter flick on deep in the dark and scramble to get out of the water and run. Suddenly a thick figure appears and catches one of the girls, Ruth, a preacher's daughter. As he is attacking her, the other two return and fight him off enough to get away. Ruth demands that they tell no one which they do not. Fifteen years later, two of ...more
Linda Munro
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Three teenagers, Kat, Shiloh and Ruth, have stolen from their homes in the middle of the night to go skinny dipping; but evil lurks around them. One of the girls, a preacher’s daughter swears she sees someone or something lurking in the darkened shadows. The others discard her fears until as they stand nude on a dock and a camera flash captured them. That is only the beginning of the terror that will follow these girls over the next fifteen years of their lives…

When circumstances bring the three
Janet Robel
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three incredible authors collaborating to create one fantastic thriller. Women who were friends since they were teens, grown up now with their own lives, are back in the same town. It seems their attacker has never left and is out for revenge. I was kept guessing the entire time. You just can't beat great page-turning suspense. I love reading them in the colder months. ...more
Amy-K Nunn
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really good engaging book. These two authors did a great job writing together.
Bonnye Reed
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
GNab I received a free electronic copy of this novel from Netgalley, Lisa Jackson, and Zebra Books in exchange for an honest review. Thank you all for sharing your hard work with me.

This is the second of the series Wyoming, written by Lisa Jackson, Nancy Bush, and Rosalind Noonan. Ominous is, however, completely stand alone. Keeping secrets never pays off in the end. You might save yourself some embarrassment and shame but the persons usually most rewarded by secrets are those perpetrators of s
Carol Storm
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Did not finish -- loved the three heroines, but the suspense plot was slow and stupid, and I got sick and tired of hearing how every cowboy in town was an unshaven, pawing predator!
Donna
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Teenagers Shiloh, Katrina, and Ruthie sneak out one night to skinny dip in the lake, not realizing that a peeping predator is watching and coming for them. Shiloh and Katrina manage to get away from him but Ruthie does not. The two girls come back for her, but the guy has already assaulted her. The three of them barely get away with their lives without seeing his face. Shiloh immediately leaves the area while Katrina and Ruthie go off to college. None of them ever told anyone else wha ...more
Darlene
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The three authors did an amazing job of writing and putting this story together. All the characters held my attention through the entire book. With so many suspects in here the authors did a great job of keeping the reader guessing until the very end.
Definitely recommend this book to fellow readers.
I have read several of Lisa Jackson's books over the years and I've also read a couple books by Nancy Bush, but I never knew until this book that Lisa and Nancy are sisters.
Kudos to Rosalind Noonan, a
Barbara
Omg. I was thoroughly disappointed in this Lisa Jackson book. I can't even give it a star 1st quarter of the book was soooooo good but than it's like Lisa stopped writhing and Nancy Bush Rosalind Noonan started writing. This was awful. It turned from a stalker rape entrapment story into a cowboy love story total different writhing. Absolutely hated this book had to put it way couldn't finish it.
Lisa please get rid of these other writers and do what you do best. Give us the murder mystery we lov
Elena Hartwell
Oct 31, 2017 added it
Shelves: mystery
Multiple POV. Graphic sex and violence. Part mystery, part romance. A lot of different characters. No one individual drives the story. The majority of the male characters are truly awful people. While the ending is "happy" and "justice" is served, it's an intensely bleak outlook on human behavior. This is not a book for anyone bothered by men committing horrific acts of violence toward women on the page. The characters are engaging and the story unfolds with a series of twists. ...more
Patricia
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am surprised I am giving this book 4 Stars? The overall story is pretty good except for so much SEXUAL Content.. There are 3 authors on the writing of this book and I know It's not Lisa Jackson.. I have a ton of Lisa Jackson books that I have read, and it's not that way at all... ...more
Dsbook
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book grabbed me from the first page. Very well written mystery and each section flowed smoothly into the next. wonderful writing
Carmen Lang
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Pretty good romantic suspense.
Dawn
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoy they creativity of the author. This book is difficult to read because of the subject matter, but it's a great thriller and mystery.

Three girls, a rebellious night out, a horrific event, and a vow of silence. For fifteen years they've kept this secret but now it's time to come clean. Fifteen years lives have been forever altered and no one knows why or who.

Finally back together after fifteen years and learning that they weren't the only ones keeping secrets. A girl had been abducted and a
Cindy
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, 2017-netgalley
The book starts off with a "grab you in" beginning. A seemingly harmless skinny dip turns into a nightmare for three girls.

We continue fifteen years later when they all are back in town and a girl disappears like others have throughout the years.

It was a well written book with lots of action and suspense. There were so many options as to who was kidnapping girls, I really was unsure. Makes a book more fun to read that way. Definitely an exciting mystery!

* I was provided with an Arc from the publ
Kathryn
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Somewhere between 2 and 3 stars ... this book was nuts. Not my usual sort at all, but it held my interest during a day of air travel (which I do not care for and craved the distraction). I have not read any other books from these three authors, so I cannot say if this is a mashup of their styles/voices or if it favors one of them.

The story line caught my interest and the first two chapters (15 Years Ago...) were an incredible adrenaline rush, like a pulpy slasher movie that I couldn't read fast
Krystal
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To begin with, I have to say I strongly disagree with the book cover. "Scariest novel of the year" this was not. At least not for me. In fact I found myself putting this book down quite a lot. I just couldn't stay invested - which was very disappointing given how interesting the book sounded.

The characters were a little too one dimensional for my tastes, and the plot seemed too thin for what the reader was promised. Honestly, if not for bad luck, I doubt the killed would have been caught consid
Carol
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Ominous by Lisa Jackson
Wyoming Series Book #2
3 Stars

From the Book:
NO WARNING
In the photograph, three teenaged girls splash in the lake on a sweltering summer evening. Shiloh, Kat, and Ruth are unaware of the man who spies on them from the woods. They have no idea how their lives will be changed by the brutal violence that follows—and the vow of secrecy they take.

CAN PREPARE YOU
Fifteen years later, Ruth and Shiloh have both returned to Prairie Creek, Wyoming, where Kat is deputy sheriff. Though t
❤ArtfullySinful❤
A man lying in the shadows, watching three young girls, barely into their teens, stripped naked at a pond to go skinny dipping. A flash of his camera here and there, and forever immortalized their presence along the shores. Ruth (Ruthie), Shiloh and Katrina (Kat) Starr, three girls bound together from that night on. As the man charged them from the shadows, Shiloh took off, before Katrina began tumbling after her, leaving Ruth all alone on the dock. As the two girls reappeared, they met head on ...more
Book Lover
There was a lot going on in this book. This is a small town setting. It starts out with 3 teenage girls (the minister’s daughter, Ruth, the cop’s daughter, Kat and the town bad girl, Shiloh) sneaking out late at night to go skinny dipping. The horrific things that happen at the lake changes them all and they go their separate ways never to speak of it again.

15 years later, Kat is now a cop in the small town. Shiloh comes back to town, against her better judgment, to deal with her mom’s illness a
Alasandra Alawine
The plot is a little thin. Someone has been kidnapping girls and taking them to a shack miles from nowhere and keeping them as sex slaves. Some of the townspeople think the three girls just ran away from home, or got what they deserve. Shortly after these three girls disappear Kat (Detective Patrick Starr's daughter), Ruth (the Preacher's kid) and Shiloh decide to sneak out one night and drive to a lake in the middle of nowhere to go skinny dipping. Someone starts taking pictures of the naked gi ...more
Amanda Morgan
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A late night skinny dip romp for three teenage girls turns into a lifetime of shame and terror, when they are attacked by a serial rapist in the woods near their home.

Kat, the sheriff's daughter; Shiloh, the bravest girl; and Ruth, the shy preacher's daughter decide to blow off steam one night at the lake when they keep creeping themselves out by imagining someone in the bushes watching them. However when a flash bulb goes off, they realize they truly are not alone out there.

Shiloh and Kat get
Meiwilli
What is it about small towns that seem to draw some of the worst predators to them? Must be their audacity to believe that they can blend in and won't be discovered, which proves true in Prairie Creek, Wyoming.

Teenage wild child Shiloh Silva, sheriff's daughter Kat Starr and "good girl" and preacher's daughter Ruthie McFerron, sneak out for a night of fun and skinny dipping despite warning from their parents, but what happens is a complete nightmare. Ruthie is nervous and jumpy and realizes she
Danielle
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lisa-jackson
This was ok. Again, a Lisa Jackson novel taking place in a small town where everyone is related. Hooking up with a step sibling, even though they are not a blood relation, just seems odd to me. Anyway, this book was written by three co-authors. I don’t even want to guess as to how complicated a process that was, and I noticed quite a few typos in this novel, which is also part of a series that I wasn’t aware of? Hmm.

One night in the early 2000s or thereabouts, three girls, Shiloh the rebel, Katr
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Dangerous Behavior
  • Blind Spot (Colony, #3)
  • Blink of an Eye (Kendra Michaels #8)
  • Nowhere to Run (Nowhere, #1)
  • I'll Find You
  • Nowhere Safe (Nowhere, #3)
  • Bad Things
  • The Bestseller
  • The Babysitter
  • Cold as Ice (Lucy Kincaid #17)
  • You Can't Escape (Nowhere #4)
  • Electric Blue (Jane Kelly, #2)
  • Hush
  • Snowfire
  • Right Motive (Murder in Alaska, #0.5)
  • Dreaming Death (Krewe of Hunters #32)
  • Unseen (Colony, #2)
  • Nowhere to Hide (Nowhere, #2)

Lisa Jackson is the number-one New York Times bestselling author of more than 85 novels, including Afraid to Die, Tell Me, You Don’t Want to Know, Running Scared, Without Mercy, Malice, and Shiver.  She is also the co-author of the Colony Series, co-written with her sister, Nancy Bush. There are over 20 million copies of Lisa Jackson’s books in print in twenty languages.

Before she became a natio

Wyoming (2 books)