Start by marking “When Will There Be Good News? (Jackson Brodie, #3)” as Want to Read:
When Will There Be Good News? (Jackson Brodie, #3)

When Will There Be Good News?

(Jackson Brodie #3)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  31,862 ratings  ·  2,901 reviews
Three lives come together in unexpected and thrilling ways in Kate Atkinson's When Will There Be Good News?

On a hot summer day, Joanna Mason's family slowly wanders home along a country lane. A moment later, Joanna's life is changed forever...

On a dark night thirty years later, ex-detective Jackson Brodie finds himself on a train that is both crowded and late. Lost in his
Published September 24th 2008 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about When Will There Be Good News?, please sign up.
Eileen H. I would. I didn't realize this was a series until I read two out of order. Not earth-shaking, but I would have preferred to have begun at the…moreI would. I didn't realize this was a series until I read two out of order. Not earth-shaking, but I would have preferred to have begun at the beginning.(less)

·  31,862 ratings  ·  2,901 reviews

karen
Mar 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
so, when i heard kate atkinson had a new book i thought "yayyy!!" and then when i found out it was another jackson brodie novel i said "boooo!!" i thought the first one was great, but the second was a lot weaker. there's a reason i tend not to read genre fiction like sci-fi and mystery - because i just don't want to commit to ten books about the same world. i would rather read one book that is self-contained and never visit the characters again.(and yes i know - Donald Harington is exempt from t ...more
Nette
Nov 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is grim, violent, sad (dead kids, dead moms, dead dogs), and also hilarious and uplifting (passionate cops, a ferociously maternal doctor, and a heroic dog who makes it all the way through -- sorry if that's a spoiler, but I would have wanted to know.) The character of 16-year-old Reggie should be given a special literary prize for Best Plucky Orphan Since Oliver Twist. Deeply satisfying and I can't wait for the next one.
Dagný
Nov 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Here is a book which one reads paradoxically wishing it never ended- because it is so good- yet one races to finish- being compelled to- without skipping a word.

My heart was aching for the main characters to come through and survive; for the good to prevail; for some things to go right. This was so suspenseful, more so than anything I have read lately.

Never thought Loeb's green classics, which I can see sitting pretty on a shelf, would be referenced in a suspense novel. It is a part of the pleas
Mark
Aug 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery

Kate Atkinson returns to form in the third book in her Jackson Brodie series. With her usual mix of strong mystery plot elements and finely drawn relationships, "When Will There Be Good News" fairly hums along, and it works even better in this case because Jackson Brodie, the former cop turned private eye turned rich pensioner, is not actually the centerpiece of this novel.

If there is a hero and fulcrum of this book, it is the wonderful new character of Reggie Chase, a 16-year-old who looks as t
Rorie
Dec 10, 2008 rated it did not like it
The whole time I was reading this book, I kept waiting for something to actually happen and make sense. There were so many characters and it took almost til the end of the book before they came together. Then she would have the characters make reference to so many different people and I could never remember who those people were or what role they had in the story (most of them didn't have a roll at all)
There were way too many useless words in the book. The author had every single character conti
Paul E. Morph
My enjoyment of Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie novels increases with each book. You only have to look at my ratings: I gave the first one three stars, the second one four stars and now I find I can't not give this third volume five out of five.

This book begins with a horrific multiple murder and things go downhill from there. I kid, I kid... After the grisly opening, we jump forward thirty years to present day to see what the sole survivor of the initiating incident's life looks like now. While
Trin
Sep 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Oh, stab me in the heart some more, Kate. Atkinson’s Jackson Brodie novels (the trilogy that begins with Case Histories) just get more and more depressing. This latest is simply brutal. And yet…I loved reading it, in spite of how bleak it is, in spite of the fact that the plot relies on some rather ridiculous Dickensian coincidences, in spite of Atkinson’s apparent hatred of semi-colons and love of comma splices. I’m not sure what it is, exactly, but I just love the way Atkinson’s characters le ...more
Megan Baxter
Mar 14, 2013 rated it liked it
By some celestial alignment and confluence of book lists, I read two Kate Atkinson books in a row - Behind the Scenes at the Museum, which I've already reviewed and very much enjoyed, and this one. I don't like this one nearly as much.

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at Smorgasbook
Michael
Oct 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2008
While walking home one day, six-year-old Joanna Mason's family is attacked and killed by a man wielding a butcher knife. Joanna escapes by fleeing into a cornfield and hiding. She's eventually found and the killer is caught and sent to jail.

Now before you get upset with me for revealing too much, let me just say that all of what I described above happens in the first twenty or so pages of Kate Atkinson's latest novel "When Will There Be Good News?" The death of Joanna's family is the catalyst fo
Kim

I often have problems with crime fiction series. I love the idea of returning to an interesting world in the company of a well-loved character, but often the expectation of enjoyment engendered by the previous books in a series doesn't continue to be met. Well, with this series it's a matter of so far, so good. In fact, maybe it's so far, so much better. Admittedly, this is only Atkinson's third novel to feature Jackson Brodie, but it is probably my favourite to date.

This is not traditional cri
Bill Khaemba

“A coincidence is just an explanation waiting to happen”

Another great installment to this unique crime series. Honestly, how she puts together a story is absolutely stunning and refreshing. You get so much character depth from her books than in any other crime novel I have read (Apart from The Millennium Trilogy)

“Just because something bad had happened to her doesn't mean it won't happen again.”

In this installment we follow Jackson Brodie as he is yet shoved into another mystery that he w
Michael
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book made me laugh and cry more than once, so it gets my vote. I felt the vividness of Atkinson's talent with the first in the series, Case Histories, but that one felt a bit contrived and manipulative to me. This one, the third, maybe does both, but it was a much more fun ride because of the emotional engagement it achieved for me. It plucks the heart strings with its 16 year-old heroine Reggie, whose love for the missing Dr. Hunter and the baby she serves as nanny moves her to many brave ...more
James Thane
Mar 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Joanna Mason, a six-year-old girl, was the only person to escape when a madman killed her mother, sister and baby brother. Thirty years later, Joanna is a successful doctor with a baby of her own when the madman is released from prison. Regina Chase is Joanna's precocious sixteen-year-old mother's assistant; Neil Hunter, Joanna's husband, is an entrepreneur with big troubles.

Police detective Louise Monroe, recently married herself, is attempting to protect a woman and her children from an abusi
Nov 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Kate Atkinson was, for me, a slowly acquired taste. I'd read 'Case Histories' and 'One Good Turn' and, while I found much to admire in each book, I ended up keeping my distance, put off by the violent quirkiness of her plots and characters. In fact, I remember so little about her first book, the 1995 Whitbread Book of the Year,'Behind the Scenes at the Museum,' that I must have dropped it after the first few pages.
'When Will There Be Good News', her most recent book, made me a fan. There's plent
Kaethe
Sep 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, feminism, mystery
The first few Atkinson books I read I was kind of "meh" about. I didn't really love them, but I liked her writing enough to keep trying. Then she published the first two Jackson Brodie books and I enjoyed them enormously. And then, although I kept adding all her new books to my TBR list, somehow none of them ever made it to the top. Don't be like me. Put Atkinson at the top of your list. [I've got A God in Ruins standing by as soon as I finish this other book, and the others are at the top of th ...more
Anna
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third in the Jackson Brodie series, and is probably my favourite so far.

I adore Jackson. As ever, he’s a magnet for trouble, both personally and professionally; it’s these stumbles, and how he deals with them, which make him so readable, so lovable. He shares this book with would-be lover DCI Louise, teenage girl Reggie, whose determination in adversity is adorable, and tragic childhood survivor Joanna. They, and all their issues and secrets, are brought together to make a thrilling
Brian
Apr 08, 2009 rated it did not like it
When Will There Be Good News? won the Richard & Judy Best Read at the British Book Awards. It's been very favourably reviewed in The Guardian, the Sunday Times and the Telegraph, and by innumerable Goodreads members. I find this bewildering.

I very much enjoyed Behind The Scenes At The Museum, which won the Whitbread First Novel award but that was literary fiction whereas this is crime. I must admit, I don't generally read crime, though I have enjoyed John Banville's forays into the genre. S
Mack
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm reading Kate Atkinson's novels as they cross my path. This one was a new genre, a detective and mystery story that was engrossing. I had a hard time keeping track of the dozen characters with similar backgrounds, but all equally interesting ones who show us what it means to have strength and survive the past in a flawed world.
LJ
WHEN WILL THERE BE GOOD NEWS? (Pol Proc-Jackson Brodie-England-Cont) – Ex
Atkinson, Kate – 3rd in Jackson Brodie series
Doubleday, 2008, UK Hardcover – ISBN: 9780385608015

First Sentence: The heat rising up from the tarmac seemed to get trapped between the thick hedges that towered above their heads like battlements.

Dr. Joanna Hunter (nee’ Mason) is the only survivor of an attack that killed her mother, sister and brother. Now, thirty years later, the man responsible has been released from prison.
Alan
Aug 26, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For me, this book has carelessness written all over it. Even the cover, which proports to illustrate the opening sequence, shows a little girl in a field of barley while the text state the events took place in one of wheat. The first 150 pages are pedestrian and lacking in focus to the extent that I was becoming frustrated as to where the story was actually going. Luckily the pace picked up after that, which was a determining factor in keeping my attention. However the pace and some sharp dialog ...more
Dianne
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
The third book in the Jackson Brodie private investigator series introduces two new intriguing female characters: one is a bright 16 year old orphan, the other a GP. The creative writing skills of Kate Atkinson always shine in unexpected ways. In this book each character represents a fictional person in a poem we all remember from our school years; this makes one want to review their poetry books. The thing I like the most about Kate Atkinson is her earthiness, her lack of pretension and her abi ...more
Shaun
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
Picked this up off the library shelf randomly. First Kate Atkison book. Loved it, despite the fact that it was the third in a series of which I have not read the previous books.

Layered characters, flawed and on the verge of being irredeemable (my favorite kind). Superb writing. The story took some time to get going, but I am patient reader and did not mind. Will be reading the entire series.
Annie
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was such a good book. I didn't realize that it was the third book for the character Jackson Brodie, but it didn't matter. The first chapter involved the murder of a mother and two of her children. There was nothing graphic in it, thank God. The rest of book took place 30 years after the murders and right before the murderer was about to be released from prison. At first, it seemed as if all of the characters were unrelated. But as the story went on, the different threads all came together. ...more
Peter
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kate Atkinson is a very fine author. She is elusive as well. Take When Will There Be Good News as an example.

Is it a mystery/detective story? Is it an in-depth look at dysfunctional families? Is it a romp through allusions, literary quotations, intertextural references and the like? The answer is yes to all.

The characters are delightful. Jackson Brodie and Louise are back. New, fascinating, quirky characters are too. Reggie has to be one of th most unique creations in recent literature. The plot
Jaksen
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-series
Yet another book where three stories sort of crisscross one another until they finally meet. I've said it before, this writer must have to keep a complex system of drawings, notes, index cards or diagrams to keep it all straight - who is where when, what is going on how and why, where was she or he or they when this, that or the other thing happened...

I get dizzy thinking about it.

It's Jackson Brodies' story - he's a once-upon-a-time police officer, now retired but doing some investigative work
Wendi Lee
What can I say about another great Kate Atkinson book? You should read this (well, start with the first Jackson Brodie book) if you like mysteries and police procedurals. You should read this is you just like interesting books with well-developed books. This is labelled a Jackson Brodie book, but it's so much more than an ex-cop's story. It's about victims of terrible crimes, going on with their lives. It's about plucky orphans (Reggie is my favorite character!) who read classic literature, and ...more
Patricia Williams
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This started out being a very difficult book for me to read. I have always wanted to read this author, her books are always bestsellers and get many good recommendations. In the beginning her writing style is so different and goes around in circles to tell the story but when she gets to the last 100 pages and brings the story together, it is very good and you are happy about the way things work out. It took a long time to get there but in the end I really enjoyed this read. Will definitely read ...more
Ken Fredette
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I believe that the BBC made a show of Brodie, and followed the book 100%. It was amazing that they did everything exactly as in the book. Normally it would deviate somewhat. It was a good book for putting between Robert Wilson and Anne Holt.
Inese Okonova
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-kindle
Ja pirmo un otro grāmatu par Džeksonu Brodiju varētu dēvēt par literāriem detektīviem, tad trešo, manuprāt, par detektīvu īsti vairs pat nevar nosaukt. Jā, šeit ir detektīvam raksturīgie elementi - noziegums, (pat vairāki - gan pagātnē, gan tagadnē), noslēpumi, izmeklētājs (pat vairāki) utt., bet akcents no izmeklēšanas ir pilnībā novirzījies personāžu raksturu un motivācijas pusē. Jā, beigās ir interesanti saprast, kā tiks sasieti visi sižeta mezgli, bet, godīgi sakot, tas nudien nebija galvena ...more
Vicki
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thirty years ago a young mother and her three young children are walking home with the family dog in Devon, a rural area of Scotland. A random stranger with a knife approaches and kills the mom, their dog, the 8 year old daughter and the 1 year old in his stroller. Only the 6 year old Joanna escapes. She runs into the wheat field at her wounded mother's urging, and disappears for hours.

Thirty years later a plucky 16 year old girl, Reggie Chase, talks her way into a job taking care of the nearly