Start by marking “The End of War: A Novel of the Race for Berlin” as Want to Read:
The End of War: A Novel of the Race for Berlin

The End of War: A Novel of the Race for Berlin

(WWII)

Berlin, January 1945.

The war draws to a close, but the fight for a vanquished city -- and for history -- is just beginning.

In the final months of the war in Europe, the last act of a five-year conflagration is about to be played out. As Allied generals surround the mortally wounded Nazi military machine, strategies are being formed on a greater scale than even generals can
Published May 29th 2001 by Bantam (first published July 24th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The End of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of War

Start your review of The End of War: A Novel of the Race for Berlin
Vijai
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hellyeah
One of the most enjoyable reads in the recent times. The author does right to the wrongs the German people in the annuls of history were put through for what was the fault of Hitler and his henchmen. That and how he shows that the so called Titans of war were just petty men at the breakfast table.

There is this scene where (one of) the female protagonists in the story realizes the price her mother was paying to bring home black market food for dinner every day that had me put the book down for
Alex Teixeira
Oct 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I actually heard this as an Audiobook after a friend recommended it. By the way ... the reader here was fantastic! His name escapes me, but if you find this audiobook in your library, check it out!

An awesome piece of WWII fiction that takes place in the final months of the war in Europe. Loved it.

MG
Jun 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Historical Fiction/ WWII
Recommended to MG by: I read "War of the Rats"
This book is a fictional account of the last days of WWII.

You see the war through the eyes of a magazine photographer, two German women struggling to survive in a doomed Berlin, and two Soviet Soldiers assigned to a penal regiment.

You also see the war though the eyes of Chrchill, Stalin, and Roosevelt.

Sometimes, you can get a birds eye view of a subject. Sometimes, you can get aa ant's view.

This book does an excellent job of giving you both.
Ty
Sep 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: WWII enthusiasts
Okay, here's the thing. This book is a tough read because of all the different stories going on. However, there is a mastery of subject here rarely matched and in the end you are more than glad you read it through. The stories are moving and informative and the writing is terrific. It's been years since I read this book and I think of it often.

It gets 3 stars for the read and the fourth star for the moving stories. It gets the final fifth star for affecting my life.
David
Jun 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. Robbins writing is a delight and the time he puts into research is clearly evident in the plot details. The End of War is basically a Greek Tragedy set in WWII, with the "Gods" -- Churchill, Roosevelt and Stalin -- meddling into the lives of "mortals" by playing geopolitics as their armies race to take Berlin. I can't succinctly put into words the plot or the sophistication of Robbin's writing. Just trust me that this is a great read, with an amazing message.
Will
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, war
Interesting read although the writing was weak. Graphic depiction of the destruction of Berlin at the end of the war. Shows what appears as the skill of the Russians and naiveté of Americans such as Roosevelt and Eisenhower in grabbing position as the war winds down.
Neil Smithline
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really great historical fiction. You can hear Churchill disucssing the war with Anthony Eden. And the rivalry between Churchill and Roosevelt. ANd how Stalin tricked them both.

Great read. Makes the political figures come alive.
Jbsfaculty
Jul 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bahe-selections
I loved this book. This fictionalized accouint of the fall of Berlin looks at the months from the combined perspectives of a German female cello player whose mother is hiding a Jew, of two russian soldiers, of an American Life photographer, as well as Churchill, Stalin and Roosevelt.
Jason
Oct 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
I just couldn't get into this book. Right from the start I found it dry and uninteresting.
Beverly
Feb 23, 2009 rated it liked it
It was like looking through a prism at a time in history which I thankfully didn't have to experience first hand.
Jim
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an account of the final months of World War II in Europe. It is fictional because the author follows three individuals as they make their way through these final days of the race to Berlin: one is a Russian soldier, a former officer who was demoted and assigned to a penal battalion as the result of comments made by his father, a Soviet general, to Stalin; one is a female cellist, who is the only female member of the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra; and the third is a highly acclaimed ...more
FrankRA1
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an ok book, it wasn't boring but it also wasn't like "I neeeeeed to keep reading." But what i felt like was keeping this book back was the switching, it's trying to tell 5 stories at once, the stories are of diff people throughout the war like the first one which is about a man called Charley and how the war affected him. Then there's another of a German woman who is a cellist and how the war is affecting her, this is for all of the 5 stories told in the book and it can get quite ...more
Peter
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Based on the race for Berlin in 1945 with four parallel stories, Churchill, Stalin and Roosevelt, and more successfully and naturally an American photographer determined to be the first to Berlin, a female cellist in Berlin and two Russians in a penal battalion. Moving, fast-paced and with fine characterisation this is an exceptionally convincing and believable account of the last four months of the War.
Bill
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting approach to depicting the climax of the war in Europe. Robbins' treatment of the FDR-Churchill-Stalin was particularly intriguing, providing me with an insight into their dynamic that I hadn't really thought about before. I would recommend this novel to anyone interested in WW II and its aftermath.
Bertie
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Horrifyingly real glimpses of German, Russian, and American people whose lives are ruined by the war. Impossible to grasp 80 million deaths, 200 million wounded and hundreds of millions of people with devastated lives. Horrifying.
Perhaps someday a similar book will present the Japanese theater of war.
Pete
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: military, historical
This is an excellent follow up to Robbin's 'War of the Rats' novel. The writing is very strong with excellent characterizations. The story deals with the final months of Hitler's Reich and the race to capture Berlin. The author presents this from four different perspectives and each is memorable.
Warren
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Not a great historical exploration. Characters weakly drawn. But quite a page turner.
Jon-Paul Bibeau
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book the encompasses the end of World War 2.
Tremendous stories about those that lived thru the final days of the war. Both sides are represented. One of the best fictional accounts.
Simeon
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A/un - Poetic - 4.7/5 12/23/2008 Finished - "The End of War" - David Robbins - Excellent story on advance and capture of Berlin - 5/5 good research and character development and lyrical writing - Churchill, Roosevelt, Stalin, US war photographer, mother and daughter in Berlin, two Russian soldiers- also interesting interview at the end with author - theory of writing is to put characters in situation and let them evolve vice recollective theory of just writing what happens to him
Shubham
Sep 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Berlin, 1945.The war advances to a exit.the work half done is more worse than nothing. The defeat of the Nazis is just the beginning for this 'RACE'- race to control the monopoly of the defeated city, race to mark a sign in the world history of 20th century, RACE TO PROPAGATE THE INFLUENCE OF ONE'S OWN IDEOLOGY AND TRADE IN THE SUCCESSIVE YEARS OF THE WORLD WAR. .Berliners living in abysmal condition rolled as a football between the Nazis and the allied forces. NAZI'S volunteer organisation also ...more
Kimberly
Aug 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
Gives great personal context to the events of the end of World War II. I enjoyed learning more about a few of the real people that participated. Gives a good feel of the emotions and opinions of several sides. I'm sure it will be more interesting for people that know a lot about World War II; I don't know enough of the history and got lost from time to time because the author doesn't often step back and give the larger context for the detailed stories. It's a little slow and I found it hard to ...more
Robbie
Jan 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great World War II novel...
Joni
Race for Berlin, perspective of Churchill, Roosevelt, Stalin
Robert
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: war-fiction
I've really enjoyed both of David L Robbins books about World War II, both having great detail and narratives, and characterizations.
Ahmed
Aug 14, 2012 added it
it makes you live with the second world war day by day ... second by second
Brandi Judd
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really liked the different points of view of World War II from the many characters.
Simon Koenig
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a great read. Use of different view points through out the book (German, Russian, American) helped tell a complete story.
Jenny
Feb 15, 2012 added it
I think I read this after finishing War of the Rats, but I'm not sure.
amanda
Mar 16, 2012 rated it liked it
this was not bad and i love books about world war II.
Dan Cotter
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
David Robbins writes excellent historical fiction around WWII. This book centers on the race for Berlin and shows the Allied forces and the breaking down of trust and discussions.

• Empire Rising (Trident Deception, #2)
  • With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa
  • In Harm's Way: The Sinking of the USS Indianapolis and the Extraordinary Story of Its Survivors
  • To Hell and Back
  • The Kill Clause (Tim Rackley, #1)
  • The Enemy Within: The McClellan Committee's Crusade Against Jimmy Hoffa And Corrupt Labor Unions
  • Biggest Brother: The Life of Major Dick Winters, the Man Who Led the Band of Brothers
  • D DAY Through German Eyes - The Hidden Story of June 6th 1944
  • The Program (Tim Rackley, #2)
  • Eichmann in Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil
  • You're Next
  • The Survivor
  • Trust No One
  • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
  • The Second World War
  • The Saturday Night Ghost Club
  • The Trident Deception (Trident Deception #1)
  • The Providence Rider (Matthew Corbett, #4)
David L. Robbins was born in Richmond, Virginia, on March 10, 1954. He grew up in Sandston, a small town east of Richmond out by the airport; his father was among the first to sit behind the new radar scope in the air traffic control tower. Both his parents, Sam and Carol, were veterans of WWII. Sam saw action in the Pacific, especially at Pearl Harbor.

In 1976, David graduated with a B.A. in

WWII (5 books)
  • War of the Rats
  • Last Citadel: A Novel of the Battle of Kursk
  • Liberation Road: A Novel of World War II and the Red Ball Express
  • Broken Jewel
“Whoever occupies a territory imposes on it his own social system.” 0 likes
“It’s not over when a man lays down his gun. The question remains as to which fellow will pick up the weapon next. That’s politics.” 0 likes