Start by marking “The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death.” as Want to Read:
The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death.

The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death.

When every hiccup sounds like the call of doom, each stomach pang hints at incipient cancer, and a headache means it's time to firm up your last will and testament, The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death. provides just the relief you need. Gene Weingarten has spent his whole life immersed in the eclectic details of bizarre symptoms, self-diagnosing every minor ache a ...more
Published June 12th 2001 by Simon Schuster (first published September 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death.

Jackie
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Really funny, until the book started going on about how fibromyalgia suffers were just "sissies" who faked a disease because they feel a little "icky-doody." Maybe talk to someone who actually has the disease instead of mocking the support group that wouldn't let you sit in because they're sensitive about people calling them fakers (which you did)? The same goes for the other diseases you hilariously called not real, including mental illness in general. The casual sexism and objectification of w ...more
Agris Fakingsons
..ļoti asprātīga un vienlaikus šausminoša (aprakstīto lietu ziņā) grāmata :D
Kathy
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amusing, but sexist and dismissive of mental illness.
Irma Fox
May 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I feel like I should watch out for any more signs indicative of Hodgkins Disease
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Weird going from a quiet book about Quakerism to this crazy masterpiece full of unseemly bodily functions, completely unwarranted panic, and dark hilarity. As a certified, insurance-card-carrying member of the hypochondriac club, Weingarten’s irreverent approach to life and death (and every failure, disease, malfunction in between) made me laugh so hard my stomach began to hurt and I couldn’t breathe. Which, in turn, made me worry that said stomach ache and shortness of breath could be my brain/ ...more
Ellen
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Just so you know this book is HILARIOUS! It's a non-fiction (I am assuming) but it's also a humor! And like practically all of it, if I am remembering correctly, is clean! I really like this book and I am really glad that I bought it.
Definitely recommend it! I want to go read it again just thinking about it...
I picked this up, not because I am a hypochondriac but because the title caught my eye. After reading the flip on the inside cover I just had to have it and I am so glad that I have.
rockle
Jul 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: nonfiction, humor
i am a hypochondriac, and this book is one of the best books about hypochondria that i have ever read. i often use it as a reference book -- it doesn't explain hypochondria, or excuse it, but it does acknowledge it, and provide a pretty good list of some serious diseases that you may come down with if you are dedicated to your craft. like: did you know that hiccups could mean cancer? i love this book.
Jill
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Gene Weingarten is an amazingly talented writer. If he wrote a stereo manual, I'm sure I would read it. I read this book during my commute to and from work and I found myself smiling the entire time I read it. It's on the short side so I was disappointed that it ended so quickly. If you want to read a book that will make you smile and learn a little something at the same time, this is the book for you.
Krissy
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I give this a 5 star review not only because it was extremely entertaining, but because it really helped me realize that my constant thoughts of trying to figure out what is wrong with me are not near as bad as many. It was a great quick read.
Jason Lewis
May 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Hilarious, frightening, sexist, extreme, sometimes downright rude, and all at the same time! Weingarten offers no remedy for the suffering hypochondriac in his first book other than that he is one. This is not a self help book, but one could certainly use it to help themselves.
Jeremy
Jan 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Susan Hood
Aug 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
How to become a proper hypochondriac.. very funny. Gene Weingarten is a literary genius. Made me laugh out loud. I kept it in my bathroom, where I could read a bit at a time.
Jeff Barnosky
Jul 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Whenever anyone asks what's the funniest book I've ever read, this is the one I pick. Sorry Aristophanes and Roth!
Concetta Kellough
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A hypochondriac writes a humorous book about being a hypochondriac but then ends with the way to cure the thought process - be diagnosed with a life-threatening disease.
Karen
A very informative but hilariously funny book!
Julia
Apr 17, 2008 rated it did not like it
This book was so stupid. I read about fifteen pages and it was a) not funny and b) unoriginal in its condescension. But I should have known that.
Mindy
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud funny and also highly informative for all of us hypochondriacs out there. Certain passages cry out to be shared with friends they are so odd and hilarious.
Penguin Gunter
Ātri aizmirstama, viegla izklaide. Kā dzeltenā prese.
Gina
Apr 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really witty, cute and intelligent.
Blair
Dec 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is funny. (But if you are already the paranoid type, don't read it.)
Douglas
  • The Best of Robert Benchley
  • The World According to Dave Barry
  • How I Got to Be Perfect
  • City Boy
  • If You Can't Live Without Me, Why Aren't You Dead Yet?!
  • Molly Ivins Can't Say That, Can She?
  • I Lost Everything in the Post-Natal Depression
  • Is Sex Necessary? or Why You Feel the Way You Do
  • Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories: And Other Disasters
  • The Art of Rube Goldberg: (A) Inventive (B) Cartoon (C) Genius
  • The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe
  • The Complete Manual of Things That Might Kill You: A Guide to Self-Diagnosis for Hypochondriacs
  • Phaic Tăn: Sunstroke on a Shoestring
  • The Big Book of Conspiracies
  • Plague Time: The New Germ Theory of Disease
  • Social Studies
  • The Twible: All the Chapters of the Bible in 140 Characters or Less . . . Now with 68% More Humor!
  • MacLeod's Clinical Examination
A Pulitzer Prize winning reporter and humorist for the Washington Post and author of a number of books.