Start by marking “The Wildling Sisters” as Want to Read:
The Wildling Sisters

The Wildling Sisters

An evocative novel in the vein of Kate Morton and Daphne Du Maurier, in which the thrill of first love clashes with the bonds of sisterhood, and all will be tested by the dark secret at the heart of Applecote Manor.

Four sisters. One summer. A lifetime of secrets.

When fifteen-year-old Margot and her three sisters arrive at Applecote Manor in June 1959, they expect a quiet Eng/>Four
Published July 25th 2017 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Wildling Sisters, please sign up.
Ashley Yes, I kept thinking something was going to happen to one of the sisters because of the cover! I think there's an alternate cover with the manor…moreYes, I kept thinking something was going to happen to one of the sisters because of the cover! I think there's an alternate cover with the manor pictured...I thought it was better....(less)
Ashley
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Wildling Sisters
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5+ stars!!! I adored this novel!

This story was such an enjoyable and delicious treat! I lapped up every word and savoured every sentence. The writing was superb! I am still hugging this book to my chest hours after finishing it. It was so atmospheric and compelling that upon finishing, I immediately started to ‘miss’ these characters and setting.

The story is told in two timelines, one the summer of 1959 and the other over fifty years later. The plot revolves around Applecote Manor, a grand man
Paromjit
This is a beautfully written and haunting story that revolves around Applecote Manor in the Cotswolds, brimming with gothic overtones. It has two timelines, set in the 1950s and the present. It begins with an attention grabbing scenario where a body is being dragged, and you are left wondering and eager to know who it is, what has taken place, and what are the circumstances and motivations behind it. In 1959, four close sisters, Flora, Pam, Margot and Dot Wilde arrive at Applecote Manor for a tu ...more
Julie
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Wildling Sisters by Eve Chase is a 2017 G.P. Putnam’s Sons publication.

The Wilde Sisters arrive at the Applecote manor in 1959 to spend the summer with their aunt. The girls, Dot, Flora, Pam, and Margot are close and protective of each other. But, their visit to the lovely country estate is dampened by their aunt’s struggle to overcome her daughter, Audrey’s disappearance, five years earlier. The mystery consumes the girls, but the closer they get to the truth, the closer they come to possi
Diane S ☔
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Sometimes it's all n the atmosphere , and this gothic tale has atmosphere in spades. Dual story lines, separated by fifty years, connected by a missing you girls named Audrey, and of course an old house called Applecote Manor. The story's opening packs a big punch but then slows down considerably, doesn't pick back up again until almost halfway.

Sisters and secrets, four sisters who will spend the summer at the Manor, after their cousin goes missing, will have a summer that goes t
karen
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
”We’d all be destroyed if we could remember everything…”

this is, for my tastes, a perfect vacation book.

i know the whole idea of a “beach read” is that it’s a book so unchallenging that it’s barely there; something to doze over on the plane, a prop to hide behind if when you get caught checking out someone’s…swimsuit, a cheap waterlogged paperback that can be left behind in a hotel room because both the book and the reading experience itself are meant to be 100% disposable.

well, i hate the beach.

and my escapist books tend to be in the v
Dem
4.5 Stars
A compelling and atmospheric page turner, a rich gothic tale for lovers of books like the The Thirteenth Tale Set in large period Manor deep in the English countryside a once imposing home but now slightly dilapidated overgrown estate. A house with a sense of intrigue about it and an unsettling history where strange rumours surround the Estate and the family that lived there in the past.

Present Day
Applecote Manor captivates Jessie with it promise of hazy summers in the Cotswolds a perf
Rebecca Carter
The Vanishing of Audrey Wilde is an exquisitely written mystery/ historical fiction. The writing is rich and descriptive, immersing you in the scenery and the lives of the characters. I felt like I could envisage the rambling house and walk through the gardens with its tantalising smells of flora and delightful views.

The dual line flips between the present day and 1959 with the full picture slowly emerging as the book progresses. The perspective is told from two perspective; 15 year old Margot
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

Applecote Manor in 1959 was home for Perry, Sylvia, and Audrey as well as the summer vacation place for the Wildling sisters Margot, Flora, Pam, and Dot until the summer Audrey disappeared.

When Audrey disappeared, the girls never went back until one summer when their mother decided she needed to get away from it all. She sent her daughters back to Applecote Manor to stay with their aunt and uncle.

This summer wasn't the best for anyone, though. The close knit sisters drew
Holly  B
I truly wanted to love this one more! An atmospheric, character driven, gothic novel set in an aging house in England's countryside. The story weaves past with present as it follows the mystery of Applecote Manor. It is beautifully written in a lyrical way.

What happened 50 years ago at Applecote Manor? What secrets does it hold?

Present day-The new owner Jessie loves their new home for its historic appeal. Her husband Will thinks its a money pit and needs too many repairs. Jessie's teen-age ste
Dash fan
3☆ Slower Paced Mystery

The Vanishing of Audrey Wilde is a story of Mystery, intrigue, Family Drama, Gothic & Atmospheric that mixes past and present.

Unfortunately I found that the blurb and start of this book had so much promise it packed a real impression.
Then as the story progressed I found myself getting slightly confused and it just didn't grab my attention.

I found the story seemed to lack the same intrigue and mystery the whole way through.
It was bea
Mandy
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved "Black Rabbit Hall" by this author and I was pretty sure I'd enjoy this book too. I did, possibly liking her other book slightly more than this one, but it's very close.
This is the story of Jessie and Will, who move from the city to the country and settle in Applecote Manor, a rambling house that needs lots of work doing to it.
Their story is told along with that of four sisters, Margot, Flora, Pam and Dot, who fifty years before spent an unforgettable summer at Applecote with
Kathryn
“Houses are never just houses; I’m quite sure of this now. We leave particles behind, dust and dreams, fingerprints on buried wallpapers, our tread in the wear of the stairs. And we take bits of the houses with us. In my case, a love of the smell of wax polish on sun-warmed oak, late summer sunlight filtering through stained glass. We grow up. We stay the same. We move away, but we live forever where we were most alive.”

Houses can be as significant in a story as any character. After all what would Rebecca be without M/>Houses
Beverly
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars, favorites
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I read Eve Chase debut book, Black Rabbit Hall last year and it was such a great book! So, when The Wildling Sisters showed up on NetGalley didn't I hesitate to request the book. Now, I have to admit that this book's cover isn't really a favorite of mine and if not the name of the author had been familiar had I perhaps not have been interested in the book. I just think that the three faces on the cover so oddly placed, like why are the third girls face under the other two's? It's puzzling!

Howev
Dash fan
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
3☆ Slower Paced Mystery

It was bea
Melisa
I very much enjoyed Eve Chase's previous novel, Black Rabbit Hall , so I was looking forward the author's next book. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy this one nearly as much.

This story opens with a bang! And then slows down greatly. I had a very difficult time engaging in the story until about the halfway mark when things started to pick up.

I believe the dual time narration (one of my favorites!) didn't work for this book. The past story was much more engaging and relevant
Bkwmlee
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Wildling Sisters is an atmospheric tale about the bonds of sisterhood and family set against the backdrop of a mysterious house with a dark secret. Told via dual narratives, the story’s timeline alternates between the summer months of 1959 and the “present” setting a little over 50 years later. Both narratives are linked together by what I feel is truly the main character in the entire story: the looming Applecote Manor in the English countryside town of the Cotswolds. In 1959, the teenage Wilde si ...more
Dannii Elle
I was originally interested in this story due to the whimsical beauty of the front cover. That, along with the title, led me to assume this was a historical thriller of sorts. As I prefer going into thrillers 'blind' I did not read the synopsis and instead was pleasantly surprised to find, whilst reading this, that it was far more complex than I had ever imaged it being.

Present-day Jessie is aborting the chaos of London life and transporting her family to gorgeous Applecote Manor. Ne
Sheila
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars--I really liked it.

I read Chase's first book, Black Rabbit Hall, and liked it, and I think I liked this one even more.

These dual-timeline novels have a formula to them (one which I enjoy): a dramatic secret in the past leads to healing and character growth in the future. This one follows the formula, but with the added bonus of the "past" story taking place in the late 1950s, which means the players were alive in the "present" narrative as well, contributing to both st
CL
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Past and present, family drama at its best. The book starts present day and the unkept condition of Applecote Manor and a body. The four grown sisters each with their own problems and the past where sisters close as one unit become divided by the disappearance of their cousin and who is ultimately responsible for that event is only hinted at thru most of the story until the reveal. Great read about family dynamics and how one event can change your life forever. I would like to thank the Publishe ...more
Holly
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2017
Last year I read Eve's debut novel, Black Rabbit Hall, and absolutely loved it. I was very much looking forward to a new book by her.

This one is a dual timeline story taking place in the 1950's to present day. Which these are my favorite types of stories but few authors that can pull it off well. Eve, I'm happy to say, does. She opens with a bang with a body being dragged through the grass. I mean, it just screams for you to finish to find out what happens! I think I enjoyed the past story best
Marialyce
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Welcome to Applecote Manor in the Cotswolds. This is a lovely English home that has housed families who have lost and found love, relationships, and the sadness that secrets often leave in their wake. We meet two of the families who have resided and now reside there.

The Wilde sisters arrive in the summer of 1959 to a world that might offer them an escape. Their mother had left them to the care of their aunt and uncle who five years previous had suffered the disappearance of their bel
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I would say that this book was just okay for me. I decided to read this book because the premise sounded really interesting. The story opened with a bang and I was pretty sure that I had made a great decision in picking up this book. After just a few pages, things slowed down. All the way down. I found myself setting the book aside to clean and I hate cleaning. About a third of the way into the book, I seriously considered adding
Amy
This book really surprised me. It’s a gothic tale that shifts from the 1950s to present day. It centers on Applecote Manor in the English countryside. There are all the elements of a gothic novel – an estate with a mysterious history, strange rumors, and interesting characters that leave you guessing. Eve Chase’s writing is beautiful and she’s able to so effectively weave a plot of suspense with this novel. The sense of intrigue combined with an air of foreboding just permeates the book, page af ...more
Tracey
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I discovered Eve Chase earlier this year when I read her book “Black Rabbit Hall” which I truly enjoyed. So when I heard she had another book coming out I knew I had to read it. And I was not disappointed. The “Wildling Sisters” is told in dual time lines, summer of 1959 and the other 50 years later. I enjoyed the historical time line much better than the present.

From the first chapter, which completely grabs your attention, there is a fascinating atmosphere of mystery. I could not put this boo
Taryn Pierson
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-release, audio
Frankly, I’m surprised I had the patience for this book, because I am not lately a reader who appreciates slow-moving, thoughtful, atmospheric writing. Yet I was propelled toward the ending somehow, almost against my will. And when the quiet, reflective resolution came, I was strangely satisfied, even though part of me was hoping for a thunderclap of a finish. What sorcery is this?

The Wildling Sisters is a story of a summer heat wave that brought with it something weird and sinister, and
Ashley
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loves, netgalley, 2017
Reviewed on:5171 Miles Book Blog.

Thank you to Netgalley and Penguin/Putnam for allowing 5171 Miles Book Blog to review this novel.

Let me tell you now, folks, The Wildling Sisters by Eve Chase is a summer release you are going to want to pick up. This book captivated me from the very first page. It begins in 1959 at Applecote Manor in Cotswolds, England with the Wilde sisters d
Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews
*www.onewomansbbr.wordpress.com
*www.facebook.com/onewomansbbr

The Vanishing of Audrey Wilde by Eve Chase. (2017).

In the present day, Jessie and her troubled family move to Applecote Manor thinking it'll be the perfect escape. But the house has an unsettling history.
In 1959, teenager Margot and her three sisters arrive at Applecote to find their aunt and uncle still struggling after the disappearance
Karen Kay
I received this ARC from netgalley.com in exchange for a review.

Summer of 1959, the Wilde sisters are sent to their aunt and uncle's house Applecote Manor, where their cousin Audrey mysteriously disappeared a few years ago.

Current day, Jesse and her blended family buy Applecote and become haunted by the strange rumors that surround the manor.

Just a so-so read. Not bad, not great.

Stephen
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
really enjoyed this novel which is 2 stories interlinked with each other and easy written plot and soon read this book as soon as got in the plot didn't want to put the book down.
Looking for something similar to this great novel! 2 9 Jul 17, 2018 05:19AM

• Gaven
  • Illvilje (William Wisting #14)
  • The Clockmaker's Daughter
  • Mysteriet med Yusuf (Blålys, #3)
  • Navnebringeren
  • Lånat silver och krossat glas
  • Jei sienos prabiltų...
  • Offrens offer
  • The Turn of the Key
  • The Hunting Party
  • Dei sju dørene
Eve Chase is the pseudonym of a journalist who has worked extensively across the British press.

Eve Chase always wanted to write about families - ones that go wrong but somehow survive - and big old houses, where family secrets and untold stories seed in the crumbling stone walls.

Black Rabbit Hall is such a story.

She lives in Oxford, England with her husband and three children.
“Houses are never just houses. I'm quite sure of this now. We leave particles behind, dust and dreams, fingerprints buried on wallpapers, our tread in the wear of the stairs. And we take bits of the houses with us. [...] We grow up. We stay the same. We move away, but we live forever where we were most alive.” 7 likes
“Every girl needs Paris.” 3 likes