Start by marking “Fantastic Creatures (Fellowship of Fantasy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fantastic Creatures (Fellowship of Fantasy, #1)

Fantastic Creatures (Fellowship of Fantasy, #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  288 ratings  ·  73 reviews
A Fellowship of Fantasy Anthology

Here be dragons ... and selkies and griffins and maybe even a mermaid or two.

Twenty fantasy authors band together to bring you a collection of thrilling tales and magical monsters. Do you like to slay dragons? Or befriend them? Do you prefer to meet cephalopods as gigantic kraken or adorable tree octopuses?

Each story focuses around a fant
Published November 17th 2016 by Fellowship of Fantasy

To ask other readers questions about Fantastic Creatures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fantastic Creatures

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Fantastic Creatures (Fellowship of Fantasy, #1)
Melissa Sasina
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I received an ARC copy of this book for honest review. I am happy to be supporting the indie Fellowship of Fantasy Authors in reviewing it.

I love creatures of myth and legends, and this series of short stories did not disappoint in the slightest. This book is suitable for nearly all age groups and gives you glimpses of fantastic, magical creatures that many do not even know about.

I enjoyed how not all of the stories told you straight out what the creature was, letting you guess what they were,
La La
A plethora of exciting tales about make believe beasts from kappas to flying squid!

I liked that a couple of the stories which had adult level violence in them were clearly marked, so this collection can easily be used as a family read aloud book, too. The creatures were varied, there is a flying squid tale! It is a perfect book to keep on a bedside table or loaded to an ereader for times you want to have short stories when reading time is limited. Each tale wrapped up in a satisfying way. This i
Kristen Kooistra
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm new to the whole anthology thing. As I'm sure is the usual case with anthologies, there were stories I loved and others were I was more meh. It's hard to put a rating on a book that has so many different stories because not all are the same for me. I know that's obvious, but it was still really hard to sit down at the end and go, "so what do I say about this?"

There's 20 stories(I think) in here and I liked more than I disliked. That's a plus. Several stories, even if they weren't my particul
Marzie
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-paper
This book was received as an ARC from the publisher. I am happy to be supporting the indie Fellowship of Fantasy Authors in reviewing it.

Selkies and Dragons and Krakens, Oh My!

This is an enjoyable anthology, especially given how affordable the book is. I found the writing, as is often the case in anthologies of this sort, to be a little uneven. For every gem, like Intisar Khanani's beautifully understated and evocative selkie story, Seekers, there are some that are considerably less polished. So
N.W. Moors
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a 'Fantastic' anthology packed with stories for all ages about mythical and fantasy beasts and their friends. Many of the creatures are the usual dragons, mermaids, and griffins. Others were not as familiar to me, the hum-fairies, werejaguars, or tree octapuses, but the stories are uniformly interesting and well-written.
I especially enjoyed 'Three Steaks and a Box of Chocolates', 'The Very Last Dragon', 'An Adventurer's Heart', and 'Absolutely True Facts about the Pacific Tree Octapus',
Santy
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, read-2017, fantasy, magic
I loved this collection of very short stories all surrounding one creature/world or another.

Some stories were funny, some had romance sprinkled in, others a bit sad, others made me a bit mad while others also were just okay.

As a book overall, they were mostly very properly written with one or two minor exceptions.It takes the reader to a different world with every story and that is what I loved about it.

It IS PG-13 so if you are in the mood for pure adventure/fantasy without any sexy times, go
Chelsea
More reviews available at my blog, Beauty and the Bookworm.

Fantastic Creatures is an anthology of stories all featuring some (you guessed it) fantasy creature, from mermaids to werewolves to tree octopuses to hum fairies. As an anthology, it has many, many authors, but I'm putting H. L. Burke as the primary because, from what I can see, she appears to be the one who organized it, did the outreach, etc. (If someone knows differently, please let me know and I'll correct this.) I'll include the aut
Marissa
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Twenty amazingly creative authors all in one place!! Sign me up! "Each story focuses around a fantastic creature from folklore or mythology, and they range from light and playful tales for the whole family to darker stories that may make you wish to leave the lights on." Sometimes you want to read mythology/fantasy stories without a lot of swearing and graphic sex and this fits the bill perfectly. The stories were great, short and very clean. They capture your imagination so well that when you t ...more
H.L. Burke
I'm one of the authors, so not really unbiased. I do think there is a good mix here with something for everything from humorous tales to folk tales to urban fantasy to epics to fairy tales. Skip around, find some new authors, and enjoy.
Jackie
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story about all different types of creatures. Love books like this. Grateful to be introduced to this story.
Scott
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Creatures is another great anthology . I've almost read this whole series of anthologies and I have enjoyed every single one . As with all anthologies there will be some stories you like more than others , but as a whole this book is as it's name implies fantastic . Almost every story in here would be go read along material with your kids , that being said adults will enjoy this book also . It's a pretty quick read so go ahead and sit down and enjoy Fantastic Creatures you won't be sor ...more
Amelia Nichole Defield
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, indieauthor
What a great collection of short stories featuring fantasy creatures! It has everything from the weird to the delightful. Dragons, sea monsters, griffins and more! I left reviews for some of my favorites on their GoodReads pages.
Heather Hayden
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an enjoyable collection of stories about various fantastical creatures ranging from centaurs to the rare Pacific tree-dwelling octopus.

My favorites include Three Steaks and a Box of Chocolate, Snapdragon, Seekers, and Absolutely True Facts about the Pacific Tree Octopus--and these are just a few of the treasures waiting inside this pages.

The age range for the stories does vary quite a bit, so if you are looking for an anthology to share with your kids, please be mindful of that. Some sto
Denielle
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insitar has the tendency to always leave me wanting more. Everything I've read from her so far has left me with this gaping hole of want.

This short story was no different. I got a Little Mermaid vibe and by the end I had so many questions. :(
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent mix of unique stories

Like most anthologies, this is a mix of good and bad— but I'm happy to say that it's more good than bad. I definitely recommend this one!
Becca
I read this book in an effort to learn of some more good indie authors. There are several authors featured which I'll have to learn more about, but overall I was unimpressed with this collection. Here are some notes on each story:

(1) Three Steaks and a Box of Chocolates by A. R. Silverberry 3 out of 5 stars
Set in the Old West, this is an amusing tall tale.
(2) Snapdragon by Lea Doue 3.5 : 5
I enjoyed this retelling of the Frog Prince. The prince is not a prince, and he's in the shape if an adora
Vicki DeVico
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here be dragons...and so much more! Out of 21 stories, there are bound to be some that a reader likes more than others, and that was the case for me.

1. Three Steaks and a Box of Chocolates – A. R. Silverberry *****
What starts out seeming like a scene from the wild west turns into a tale of friendship with a legendary creature.
2. Snapdragon – Lea Doué *****
A charming retell of the Frog Prince, but with a dragon!
3. The Golden City Captives – Julie C. Gilbert *****
A wonderfully written shifter s
Melissa (missy)

20.Ishka’s Garden

21.Absolutely True Fa
Shannon
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love collections like this. It gives me the chance to read several different authors at once so I am always adding authors to my reading list. Granted my reading list keeps growing but I don't seem to mind at all.
All of the stories in this collection are great and are so well written. Kudos to all of the authors.
Gayreth Walden
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful clean fantasy stories!

These stories are all clean fantasy.... From light and playful to a bit darker, they are all well written and entertaining. So many creatures, from dragons, mermaids, kraken, gryphons, too many to name. Adventures and magic with a diverse cast of characters. A little something for everyone. I enjoyed this very much.
Claudia
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bedtime stories

Some great stories, some good stories and, some just okay stories. Amusing reading and no nightmares. We all need a book like this sometimes.
Eileen Copeland
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like strange creatures....

Most of these stories were really fun to read. The authors all showed great imagination, and have created some fascinating storyworlds.
Marj Cinqualbres
Good fun reads

Enjoyable and fun. I especially enjoyed the last story. Good reads for the preteen to young adults set who enjoy fantasy.
Julia Garcia
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good 1st Anthology

This was my first fantasy anthology. I really liked reading all the different stories from the different authors. There were a few I wish could've kept going!
Leslie Wiederspan
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute collection of short stories.
Camilla
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fascinating and varied collection of stories- enjoyable, well-written, and unique. I liked most of the stories, some were just not my "preference". Each enthralled and entertained, and the creatures were easy to imagine, the places so real I could have visited "once upon a time". Some even caused me to desire my own "creature" and my own "beast experience". Others made me pull back in alarm, glad I don't have one...yet. Maybe someday.

In the meantime, this anthology of stories allows the reade
Coco.V
Jan 13, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (1/13/2020)! 🎁
Brian Wilkerson
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fellowship of Fantasy: Fantastic Creatures is an anthology put together by the members of a Facebook group that I'm part of too. This is not a review request. From what I had seen, it looked like fun, and it was. I'll look over a couple of the stories here in a paragraph or so each.

These are the ones that came to mind first. I suppose that means I found them the most memorable. However, it does not mean that these are the only ones I liked. While looking back over the table of contents, I decide
Katelyn Whitfield
Amazing

I greatly enjoyed the different takes on so many mythological creatures, this was an absolute joy to read, I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
Eustacia Tan
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Fantastic Creatures anthology is by the Fellowship of Fantasy, a group created to provide a diverse range of fantasy stories, but without graphic scenes or swearing. So it's something that you can let kids read, though it can get pretty dark at times.

There are 21 stories in this anthology, and on the whole, they are really well-written. Generally, I preferred the stories set in a more traditional setting instead of modern day earth, but that's more because of personal preference than story q
« previous 1 3 next »
Do you have a favorite story? Or a favorite creature? 1 5 Nov 12, 2016 01:54PM

• Magic of the Gargoyles (Gargoyle Guardian Chronicles, #1)
  • Lost Lore: A Fantasy Anthology
  • It Happened in a Flash: An Anthology of 64 Bite-Sized Stories
  • Wish You Weren't Here (The Steel City Genie #2)
  • The Red Dragon Girl (Firethorn Chronicles, #3)
  • Sword & Magic: Eight Fantasy Novels
  • Agents of the Crown - The Complete Series #1-5
  • Pathways (The Kingdom Chronicles, #1)
  • Tardy Bells and Witches' Spells (Womby's School for Wayward Witches, #1)
  • Rook and Shadow (Salarian Chronicles #1)
  • The Aliomenti Saga Box Set (Books 1-3)
  • Dissent (Band of Believers #1)
  • Fated: Cinderella's Story (Destined, #1)
  • Shields in Shadow (The Silent Champions #1)
  • Whispers From The Depths
  • A Goose Girl (Entwined Tales, #1)
  • Aerisia: Land Beyond The Sunset (The Sunset Lands Beyond, #1)
Born in a small town in north central Oregon, H. L. Burke spent most of her childhood around trees and farm animals and was always accompanied by a book. Growing up with epic heroes from Middle Earth and Narnia keeping her company, she also became an incurable romantic.

An addictive personality, she jumped from one fandom to another, being at times completely obsessed with various books, movies, o

News & Interviews

“There’s no such thing as normal. We all have thorns, but most of us carry them inside where no one can see how they hurt us.” 0 likes