Start by marking “Grumpy Cat” as Want to Read:
Grumpy Cat

Grumpy Cat

Poor Cat! All the other kitties in the neighborhood don’t ask him to come play. He just seems so grumpy. But really, he wants to join in the fun; he just doesn’t know how. Then, one night, in a terrible rainstorm, everything changes: out of nowhere, Cat hears a plaintive "meow" and finds a drenched little kitten taking shelter between his paws. And no matter what Grumpy ...more
Published May 6th 2008 by Boxer Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Grumpy Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grumpy Cat

Start your review of Grumpy Cat
Mir
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
The other cats don't ask Grumpy Cat to play because he looks grumpy. He is lonely which makes him grumpier. A vicious cycle which can be broken only by the power of cuteness!
Kathryn
Jul 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Tyler and I spotted this in the darling Children's Section alcove at a cute bookstore we stopped at in Mill Valley today. We absolutely HAD to read it after "meeting" the Grumpy Cat on the cover--that expression is exactly how his cat, Pandy, looks at us sometimes!!! The story is cute if simple/unoriginal enough--Cat is grumpy because he is lonely; another lonely (but cute and nice) Kitty comes along to befriend him, he resists--then Kitty needs help and Cat comes through in the end and they are ...more
Brandy
Jan 18, 2011 rated it liked it
In this story shyness is mistaken for grumpiness. Cat was always by himself throughout the day. He would sit back and watch the other cats playing with each other and would always want to join in, but just did not know how. When a little kitten comes along to try and befriend cat, cat is a bit skeptical at first but eventually they become close friends and Cat is never grumpy again.

This book is good for the start of the year when students are first meeting each other. It shows that just because
Cheryl
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
I chose this because I often feel alone & grumpy, and as if I'd be fulfilled if I had a young friend or grandchild. But a/ that's BS and b/ the interior pictures of Grumpy Cat make him look more confused or wistful than grumpy.
Tracy
May 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: homeschool
Couldn't resist Grumpy Cat propped up on display at the library. That face says it all.

Spoiler alert: Grumpy Cat is really just lonely. This is a pleasant story for young children. It's nice for gently teaching the idea that sometimes there are reasons for behavior that we don't know about. Giving people, and cats, the benefit of the doubt is a topic that comes up frequently in our home. Cat and Kitten are cuddled up together at the end of the story, "They had each found a friend. And Cat was
Heather McC
Sep 29, 2018 added it
Shelves: childrens
Everyone wants companionship - even when they don't know how to find it. This cute children's book shows power of friendship for two cats (one of whom finds a way to be a little less grumpy).
Khadijah  Adam
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cat who learns how to be friends
Amelia
2.5 Stars

Before anyone asks, this is NOT The Grumpy Cat of internet fame. If Teckentrup's Grumpy Cat were a meme he'd be more Socially Awkward Penguin than Grumpy Cat. You see, the titular Grumpy Cat is not really grumpy, he just doesn't know how to be friends with the other cats. The other cats leave him be because they think he doesn't want friends, so he sits all by himself, feeling really lonely. The fate of many a socially awkward being. But one particularly wet and miserable day, a kitten
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Grumpy Cat is grumpy because he's lonely and doesn't know how to make friends. It takes the persistence of an innocent little kitten who is just as lonely to break through Grumpy Cat's hard exterior. This cute story teaches kids that, just because another kid is aloof, that doesn't mean that they don't want a friend. I like the large colorful illustrations and the simple text. This is a perfect book to use for a pre-school story time--which is just what I'm going to do next month. Recommended!
The Library Lady
May 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Okay, there are twelve million versions of this story, ranging from sibling discovering that little sibling is okay, down to big dogs adopting small cats.
But the joy of this is the artwork. As in Big Smelly Bear, another favorite of mine, Teckentrup's bold artwork is full of energy. Grumpy Cat's eyes are as expressive as any cat I've known, and his whole body speaks as he initially avoids the kitten, and then bows to the inevitable and makes friends.
Delightful.
Jordan
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Once there was a cat who lived all alone.

He ate on his own.
He slept on his own.
He spent every day alone.

He would sit between the
trash cans and look very,
very grumpy.

THIS CAT IS LIVING MY DREAM.

Buy this title from Powell's Books.
Chelsea
In a short story, important points such as friendship, giving, sharing, and belonging were presented in a beautifully illustrated story. Children (and adults) of all ages will enjoy this book. And this book is now part of my growing cat book collection.
Janderson
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Pretty good for 'cat' story time and would also be good for something on friends or feelings.
Kira Dickson
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hollie
An endearing story all about a cat who everyone perceives as grumpy, but really he is lonely. This would be a great story to explore the themes of loneliness, feelings, friendship and kindness with children.
Peacegal
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This is not a story starring the famous Internet meme cat, but rather a simple tale of two stray cats--one old and grouchy, one a young kitten--who form an unlikely friendship.

This book instantly reminded me of this sweet true-life story: http://www.tinykittens.com/cases/mason
Kayla Rae
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If Grumpy Cat were my cat, I'd call him Ove. Because this is pretty much a very short, very cute version of A Man Called Ove.

I love it.
A great story to discuss how some people act weird or mean because they're just not sure how to fit in with others. The book itself is huge and the illustrations are bright and bold. This makes a great group read aloud for themes of friendship, fitting in, feelings, or cats.
Mellanie C
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sweet story.
 Adesuwa Grace (Somewhat Reserved)
I found it pretty interesting. It was a bit similar to my life xD Except without the animals, of course!
Alissa
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Found this gem in the "discard" pile at the library and couldn't resist reading it on my way to the break room. Yes, it's about Grumpy Cat, but not that Grumpy Cat. You know, the one who has taken the internet Meme Scene by storm and even has her own movie.

Mainly, though, I'd been discussing just how cranky my cat, Luna, is and, with that on my mind, this title caught my eye.

Basically, we have Grumpy. Grumpy isn't so much cranky/angry as she is lonely (although she doesn't know that's why she's
Danielle Mootz
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Why are there so many books about grumpy cats? Cats must just be so misunderstood!
wildct2003
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute story.
Lynn
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Splendid book about a Tom cat who is always alone and grumpy, until a lonely kitten comes along.
J
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet story. I wish someone had taken the kitties in at the end.
Jennifer Bast
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I read this with a kindergarten girl who giggled and wanted to read it again and again.
Rachael
It's ok to pick up a book just because you like the picture on the front or a word in the title. I chose this book because I like cats. But you know what I found as I read the book? The author does a wonderful job of expressing the emotions of the main character with her writing. She made me giggle at parts, because she explained the actions of the cats so accurately that it made me think of my cats at home.

When we are learning to be wonderful writers, we can take inspiration from anything at
S.E. Ferranti
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
The book Grumpy Cat by author Britta Teckentrup is a great book about the difference between being judged and simply misunderstood. The cat in the book is seen by everyone around him as a grumpy mean old thing. When in reality life has made him sad so he is lonely and portrays himself as grumpy to protect himself from ever getting hurt. Then one day a kitten comes along and it is innocent, kind, loving, and nonjudgmental. The kitten is able to get the cat to trust him and they end up becoming a ...more
Sarah Sammis
Mar 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pc, read-in-2009
Grumpy Cat by Britta Teckentrup is one of the books in Harriet's beloved cat stories collection. It's the story of an alley cat who lives on his own and is shunned by the other cats. He's called grumpy by the others (to which Harriet always makes a "humph" sound) but he's really a lonely cat.

Grumpy Cat though isn't so much about this loner cat. It's about Kitten, a new stray to the alley who sees a trusted friend in this old cat. Grumpy Cat doesn't think he's up to parenting a kitten and does
Amber Zanfordino
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: social-emotional
Overall I thought this was a good book to read. The illustrations were very simple, which is good for young children so they are not overwhelmed. I love the concepts that are teachable for this book. I also liked the vocabulary words used. Learning new words should be an ongoing process for children, this book is perfect for that!
New Vocab: Grumpy, Lonely, Scruff, Dashed.

Learning Experiences:

1. Experiencing/Discussing emotions and how to look for ques on how another person is feelings. Ex: if
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Uni the Unicorn (Uni the Unicorn, #1)
  • Disney Lady and the Tramp
  • Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great
  • Uni the Unicorn and the Dream Come True (Uni the Unicorn, #2)
  • Oops, Pounce, Quick, Run!: An Alphabet Caper
  • Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now!
  • Curious George Colors Eggs Early Reader
  • The Silver Slippers
  • Fancy Nancy: Sand Castles and Sand Palaces
  • Shopkins: Welcome to Shopville
  • Chowder
  • The Ghoul Next Door (Poison Apple #9)
  • Save the School Bus! (Paw Patrol)
  • A Giraffe and a Half
  • Pirate Boy
  • The Sleeping Beauty
  • Sparkle Town Fairies: Alice the Amber Fairy and the Showstopper Spectacular
  • Mermaid Mia and the Royal Visit
Britta Teckentrup was born in Germany and moved to England in 1988. She is the author and illustrator of many books for children. She now lives in Berlin with her husband and young son.