Start by marking “Hrdlorezi Kelti” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Hrdlorezi Kelti

Terry Deary

Hrdlorezi Kelti

The ghastly truth about the wild warrior race who weren't afraid to fight the Romans. The book includes stories about suffering saints, gruesome games for Celtic kids, and the dreadful Druids with their strange sacrifices and terrible trials.
Paperback, prvé, 128 pages
Published 2007 by Slovart (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Hrdlorezi Kelti, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hrdlorezi Kelti

Start your review of Hrdlorezi Kelti
Robert
Thanks to BrokenTune for giving me this book!

A deliberately silly book for kids about everybody's favourite Iron Age culture (everybody who likes washing with soap, anyway - you're welcome). Of course it's superficial in adult terms but it does go a little into how much of what is "known" was written by the enemies of the Celts, particularly the Romans and is therefore possibly unreliable except when backed by other evidence.

Fun!

Milagros
The series is quite good for getting children interested in history, but this is one of the weakest volumes. Understandably so, since most of what is known about the Celts comes from Roman accounts.
Carol
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never in my life did I imagine history could be so much fun! I loved how Terry talked about the Celts but still kept the book easy, understandable, and most importantly fun. These Horrible Histories books are intended for kids, so history is easier on them, but let me tell you, adults can enjoy them too. I learnt so much! And I never felt bored or anything. I mean, I've always liked the Celts, but not every book was easy or nice to read. And this one provides a really good picture of the Celts, ...more
Cheryl
I have long been interested in this series of books published in the UK. When I found it at a thrift store I was happy to snap it up. It was a mildly amusing read about history aimed at younger readers.
Cat
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nothing was written about the Celts by the Celts as no one knew how to read or write. So, all we know about them is through their enemies and historians uncovering their burial sites and objects they left behind.

Before I continue on about the Celts, can we talk about how funny Terry Deary is. The puns, seriously, Terry Deary should be crowned King of Puns.
Okay, that’s all I wanted to say…

I loved this book and the people they talked about, like King Arthur and the knights of the round table, and
Sami
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The Cut-Throat Celts is a non-fictional book about Celtic life, religion, and war. It tells us about everything from Druids to Rome's invasions. It is very fun to read, but the author, Terry Deary makes the people in it look less realistic, unlike a history book. However, in some ways, The Cut-Throat Celts is a well taught history lesson because of the little quizzes in the middle and end of the book. The Cut-Throat Celts is a thoughtful, funny way of describing history. It engages readers and
Luke
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The cut-throat Celts in the horrible history collection is one of my favourite books in the series. A great access point for anyone who loves or even hates history, the vivid descriptions of the sights, smells and even the tastes draws a young reader in.

The language isn't particularly challenging but the books are longer than your average primary school book, so requires some determination. Although with the great way it is written the pages fly past. Also the chapter titles allow you to skip to
Colm O'brien
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a gruesome and gory account of the Celtic clans that dominated much of Europe before the rise of the Roman Empire. It is suitable for children from the ages of 9-12. Within the first few lines, I was hooked and wanted to read to the end. I found it really witty but also very factual. A great, very enjoyable way to learn history. It is a fantastic way for children to realise that learning can be fun and it really brings the Celtic world to life. Terry Deary continues to make history ...more
Siobhan
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a child history was one of my favourite school subjects thus making Horrible Histories the perfect books for me.

Nowadays children have the television series yet I belong to the older group that had the books. Personally, I believe any child who has an interest in history should give these books a go. They’re truly gripping and so many topics are covered.

Honestly, Horrible Histories are well worth a read.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Horrible Histories is a series of illustrated books published in the UK by Scholastic. They are designed to get children interested in history by concentrating on the trivial, unusual, gory, or unpleasant. They are exceptionally well loved by my history loving children
Beccy Swanson
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Full of jokes about how terrible school is! I was impressed at the amount of factual information disguised with cartoons and jokes, and the beginnings of concepts like historiography and treatment of sources. The series in general strikes a good balance between conveying information and maintaining attention, but possibly uses lowest-common-denominator humour to the extent of reinforcing damaging stereotypes.
Victoria Zigler
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting look at Celtic history. Like the other books I've read from this series so far, this is a great book, if you can stomach the gory details, but a frustrating one to read if you're using text to speach, since you miss parts of it due to them being displayed in what are essentially images.
Xanthi
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit, I didn’t know much about the Celts when I started reading this book. As usual for this series - entertaining and interesting. Written for children but still fun to read as an adult.
Rita
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
such a dorky and funny book, laughed out loud everywhere
Isaac
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very nice book, I highly recommend it
Isabel
A sometimes gruesome but entertaining way to gather historical facts
amelia forcina
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good and great

All horrible histories are good so read all of them but this one was really good so i recommend you to read this book and all the other books
Ravi Teja
Some parts are good. But at times the author tries too bee too funny and ends up weary.
sabisteb aka callisto
It was a hard life beeing a Celt, dodging the Druids and running from the Romans.
The Romans were horrible historians who tried to give the Celts a bad name. But for 1500 years every other historian has repeated the same "facts". The trouble with the Celts is they didn't bother to write much. So a lot of the things we hear about them were written by their enemies - people like the Romans. Would you trust your enemy to write things about you?
Die "Horrible Histories" sind eine erfolgreiche
Heidi
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James and I are working through a few of the Horrible Histories books while we decide what other series we want to read aloud.
Kathleen
Okay let's talk about the Horrible Histories.

You may be aware of them as a TV show, which I highly, highly recommend, but you may not be aware that they are also books! Which I also recommend!

It's hard to talk about the Horrible Histories specifically. They're hysterical short nonfiction books consisting of maybe 120 pages tops? Aimed at children, they set out to tell you all about the really nasty side of history, which I am always down for. They're smart and funny with great illustrations, and
Liesje Leest
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: informatief, history, 2016
The Horrible History and Horrible Science series (published as one series in Dutch called Waanzinnig om the Weten) were my everything as a child. I had all the books and would check the bookstore at least twice a month to see if they had a new book. And I still love the series. The books might not be very in-depth, and sometimes the historical information is a little dodgy, but they are very fun to read and great books to keep young children interested in history and science. I didn't know much, ...more
Joseph Leskey
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: quite a few people
Shelves: reviewed, humor, history, fact
Like nearly all Horrible Histories books, this was a good one. It includes incredibly gruesome and engrossing historical facts which are just lovely to read, but nothing much (if anything at all) in the way of other possibly objectionable content.

___________________

Please Note: I accidentally neglected to review some Horrible Histories books until February 2, 2017 and Horrible Histories are best reviewed the selfsame hour a person finishes the reading of them. Therefore, I have written the above
Dane Cobain
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was always fascinated by history as a kid, and so the Horrible Histories series held me enchanted for a good half-decade. In particular, I loved the Vicious Vikings and the Rotten Romans, but the Celts were interesting too, mainly because of the druids.

Considering Deary had the unenviable task of teaching me about Celts when I'd rather be learning about Thor and Valkyries, he pulled a blinder - I'm pretty sure I could read a Horrible Histories book about the history of agriculture and find it
Tiwi / Kayleigh
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
So I've always loved the Horrible histories books. They are quit hard to find in the Netherlands. They are translated but ofcourse, I wanted the English editions.
I found this one in a thrift shop in Dublin. Was so excited.
It is just a fun little book filled with information about the Celts and a lot of jokes.
The information can be incorrect but the jokes are awesome.
I was a fun quick read.
I recommend it if you want to read something funny and something about celtic culture.
Anuszka Gojke
This was an interesting book to read. I had always been interested in Celtic history because it always seemed so confusing. (I always got it mixed up with the Scottish history but now I've got that all cleared up). Horrible History books are the best for those who usually find the subject really boring. Definitely read it!
Claudia
This is actually my least favourite of the Horrible History books (you'll notice that it's still 3 stars despite that, there are no bad Horrible History books). I think that's because some of the stories are repeated, more than once, within the book. I'm not sure if that's because the Celts left so little record of themselves. It does have some fantastic illustrations though.
Deirdre
ah, pan celtica. where what happened in one place is a universal celtic experience, even without some of the modern doubts about celtic being a true racial and not social experience.

most good but very generic, it's like claiming that the experience of being irish in Dublin is applicable across the whole country
Charlotte
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I think this book would be a very interesting book for students who love history. It talks about ancient curses, traditions, sacrifices, etc. I particularly love the part where the author writes about ancient secret messages!
Nayantara
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is really no better way to get kids interested in history than by giving them a Terry Deary Horrible Histories! I loved these books as a kid and I love to collect them now. Deary's take on history is hilarious and interesting. It may not all be true but you definitely learn something!

• Violent Volcanoes (Horrible Geography)
  • The Dare Game (Tracy Beaker, #2)
  • Bulging Brains (Horrible Science)
  • Hundred-Dollar Baby (Spenser, #34)
  • Стив Джобс
  • Las 3 Preguntas
  • Манюня (Манюня, #1)
  • Machine Learning Yearning
  • The Bed and Breakfast Star
  • Starring Tracy Beaker (Tracy Beaker, #3)
  • Blood, Bones and Body Bits
  • A to Z of Silly Animals (The Silly Animals Series)
  • The Cat Mummy
  • Disgusting Digestion
  • Frankie
  • The Dancing Bear
  • Tracy Beaker's Thumping Heart (Tracy Beaker, #4)
  • Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes (Goosebumps, #34)
A former actor, theatre-director and drama teacher, Deary says he began writing when he was 29. Most famously, he is one of the authors of the Horrible Histories series of books popular among children for their disgusting details, gory information and humorous pictures and among adults for getting children interested in history. Books in the series have been widely translated into other languages ...more