Start by marking “Open: A Toolkit for How Magic and Messed Up Life Can Be” as Want to Read:
Open: A Toolkit for How Magic and Messed Up Life Can Be

Open: A Toolkit for How Magic and Messed Up Life Can Be

Open: A Toolkit for How Magic and Messed Up Life Can Be is full of honest advice about the big, bad and beautiful things that growing up is all about: from mental health to families to first love, and everything in between.

Gemma Cairney is an important advocate for young people and between her life experiences and her personal insight from her time as Radio 1's resident
Published August 15th 2017 by Pan Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about Open, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Open

Start your review of Open: A Toolkit for How Magic and Messed Up Life Can Be
Jess Twibey
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 stars but would definitely recommend to younger readers, although a lot of it is made to be appropriate for all ages, I think older readers, (18+) know the majority of it and the activity pages make it seem more designed to encourage younger readers. I will definitely be passing this book along to a young friend who starts secondary school soon and will get so much help and relief from reading how honest this is.
I'mogén
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 4.5/5 stars

There are only 2 reasons this book didn't get a full 5 stars. The first was that although Gemma really went above and beyond to make this readable for all ages, I still found some portions to be more aimed at a younger audience. This isn't a bad thing at all, it just didn't impact me or was as much use as it would have been if I had been younger and was about to experience things for the first time. I was just at a different stage of life for some of the topics in this
Camilla Bell
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was bought this book as a Christmas present due to my personal interest in mental health.
I love how honest and simply this book tackles lots of really basic things that we don't really talk about.
Lots of taboo subjects covered really well with great information and in a friendly and laid back manner.
Really like the sketchy design of the book too made me less intimated as this is the first book I've read in ages.
Made me feel really positive and hopeful!
Chloe Metzger
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
A useful book but definitely aimed at younger readers! I'd say from 12-16-year-olds would find this book perfect. For me this was an audiobook and while I loved Gemma I felt this would definitely work best in the physical format. Some interesting points and but very typical advice for the format hence the 3 stars. I did like Gemma and her outlook though!
Holly Rowlands
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018
Some of the advice is quite useful but I disagree with pushing leftist/feminist rhetoric, a book called Open should be encouraging people to formulate their own opinions instead of shoving a particular agenda down young peoples' throats. Some useful information, especially about mental health, though.
Alice Morris
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really inspiring and helpful book. Perfect to read at all ages but would really recommend as a way to tackle with mother and daughter style relationship as looks at harder issues but is also really fun! Such a lovely book and can pick up at any point!
Ocean_Optimist
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Honestly written, must have for every teenage girl!
Abigail Mukanda
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazing step by step on how to deal with life's many imperfections. Just what I needed
Amy
somegeekontheweb
Aug 10, 2019
Charlie
Mar 22, 2017 is currently reading it
So far I'm really enjoying it
Ruby Bandoh

• The Tiny Book of Tiny Pleasures
  • James Acaster's Classic Scrapes
  • Misogynation: The True Scale of Sexism
  • Indigo Donut
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4  (Adrian Mole, #1)
  • Skellig (Skellig, #1)
  • The Manifesto on How to Be Interesting
  • Scandals of Classic Hollywood: Sex, Deviance, and Drama from the Golden Age of American Cinema
  • You Are Dead (Roy Grace, #11)
  • Marshmallow Skye (The Chocolate Box Girls, #2)
  • Teen Queens and Has-Beens (Truth, Dare, Kiss, Promise, #3)
  • Ginger Snaps