Start by marking “Quarter to Midnight: Fifteen Tales of Horror and Suspense” as Want to Read:
Quarter to Midnight: Fifteen Tales of Horror and Suspense

Quarter to Midnight: Fifteen Tales of Horror and Suspense

Fifteen chilling tales of gothic horror and suspense.

Push past the curtains of the rational, safe world and explore the un-nameable horrors living in the darkest corners of our conscience. This is the realm of monsters and shifting shadows, where a single wrong step can plunge you into a terrifying, irreversible fight for your life.
Published May 1st 2015 by Black Owl Books

To ask other readers questions about Quarter to Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quarter to Midnight

Start your review of Quarter to Midnight: Fifteen Tales of Horror and Suspense
Shaina
This was an amazing collection of Darcy’s short stories and I loved them all. They weren’t all ghosts or haunting. There were some sci fi in there as well. Oh they were still horror filled! There was a series of three creepy stories featuring mannequins that is going to keep me from going near such things again. Ugh. Like they weren’t creepy enough. Someone in my family has antique ones.
I enjoyed this collection very much and it is recommended.
This is the first year I have read anthologies. So
Montzalee Wittmann
Quarter to Midnight: Fifteen Tales of Horror and Suspense by Darcy Coates is a super creepy collection I should have read around Halloween! These are ones you will want to read with the light on, lol. My favorite is The Mannequin, I don't like creepy dolls anyway and this is one creepy story! Great book!
 Reading Divergence
Review: QUARTER TO MIDNIGHT by Darcy Coates

Not long ago, Darcy Coates became my "go-to" horror writer. An author who delivers finely skilled writing in addition to scary horror [even the science fiction story in this collection is shuddery horror], Ms. Coates delivers in every single short story, novella, and novel. I don't know if the stories flow from her fingers intact, or if she rewrites until finely tuned, but the result always is the same:awesome terror. Here is a range, in 15 stories. I
{ U n s o l v e d M y s t e r y }

I was kinda disappointed in this read. Most of the stories left me feeling "Meh."
I do have some favorites.

Crawlspace - 4 stars
Crypt - 5 stars
Mannequin - 4 stars
Mirror Man - 3 stars (This one needed more explained.)
Whose woods these are - 4 stars (This one also need more explained.)
Cutty Street Lamp - 4 stars
Dead call - 3 stars (This one left me confused.....)
Lucy - 5 stars
Lights out - 3 stars
Sub Basement - 4.5 stars
The watcher - 4 stars
Mallory Haunting - 5 stars (The best one in this book, IMO.
Trish
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After having tried one of the author's short stories, I wanted more. Why? Because I enjoyed her style of writing, her descriptions and the atmosphere she creates that way.
That being said, I did enjoy the stories in this collection and was sometimes even creeped out. However, although they are short stories I did wish for some more depth, reasons for some of the occurrences. Because there never were any, the stories felt rushed at times, incomplete, which is why I unfortunately had to deduct two
Regina Noviana
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-horror
So far I really like Darcy Coates horror stories, long or short. Even in the short stories, Darcy Coates manages to create creepiness. Quarter to Midnight is a collection of horror short stories (not as short as those in Small Horrors) and I must say that reading it was really a satisfying reading experience for a fan of horror stories like me.
Kay Oliver
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent collection of shorts from an outrageously talented writer. Creepy, suspenseful, unique, spooky, haunting, creative, thrilling, original. I enjoyed every single tale. And this book is jam-packed.
Mehsi
3.5 stars. This was definitely an awesome read!

I am falling more and more in love with this writer's stories. They are creepy, fun, interesting, and often bring a nice twist ending.

Lights Out: 4.5 stars. A story about a store that gets new mannequins and stuff starts to go wrong. It was really creepy, and the ending, wow, I just felt sorry for the girl.

Mirror Man: 5 stars. Welp, guess I will skip looking at a mirror today. o.0 Maybe forever. o.0 That sure was creepy, and I wondered why she
Amber Tinsley
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book in return for leaving an honest review.
This is the way horror should be written. I love a good horror story. And it seems the past 10 to 15 years, horror has come to mean violence, blood and lots of gore. I don't actually have a problem with any of those things but on their own, they don't make a horror story. Darcy writes in such away that you feel like you are there. Your breathing increases, sweat pops out all over your skin, the fine hairs on your arms and
Tyiana Sedán
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good

I enjoyed all of the stories. This author has fast become one of favorite horror writers. Each story has a theme that everyone will enjoy
Maggie May
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Reading Quarter to Midnight is a lot like sitting around the campfire listening to scary stories. You know how some of the stories told will make you pee your pants frightened but someone else will take a turn and they just go on and on without ever getting very scary?

The collection starts out weak with Lights Out, a story obviously inspired by the movie, that spends a lot of time on set up for a mildly scary conclusion.

Mirror Man is better but the climax is so obvious in its coming that it
Melanie
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like horror books if I'm in the right mood, and the short story ones are sometimes more fun because it's a quick thrill. This book was a collection of 15 short stories. I'm a fan of a lot of the author's work, so I thought I'd give this a shot.

The best:

The Mannequin. While it's a pretty basic (and obvious) premise, the concept of anything that moves when it's dark always freaks me out. This one gave me chills even though it was predictable.

Dead Call. The ending was very bizarre, but I liked
K.C. Dreisbach
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
As always, this author is a captivating author. The only reason I gave this 3 stars is because many of the stories seemed to end rather abruptly. They didn't feel like "short stories" where you get the whole adventure in a compact, mini story. Rather they felt like the first few chapters of a full length novel, with no real true ending. At least one of the stories did become a full length novel. So I hope that the rest of the remaining 14 see themselves fully realized into full length novels as ...more
Tze
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, paranormal
I'm not easily scared by horror stories normaly, book or movie. But some of the stories in this book really creeps the hell out of me and I was reading it at dawn and night. The first 2 stories were really haunting me for a while that I decided to read the rest in the afternoon. So far I love all the stories in here and I've always been a fan of Darcy Coates books and these short stories are some of her best. She knew how to scare people. Gonna be reading more books of her.
Elaine Fisher
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quarter to Midnight

I found this to be a very interesting and sometimes pretty hide-behind-a-pillow scary reading. It's a book of short stories. This was an author that I wasn't familiar with , but was pleasantly surprised. Most of the stories are more suspense than horror, but I would recommend it to readers of either genre. E. Fisher. marylane
Cynthia Papin
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent collection of short stories by Darcy Coates. Each story was unique and I loved the twists and turns throughout each story. Darcy Coates is also becoming one of my favorite horror writers!
Tammy
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good book. I love the way Ms. Coates writes. Reminds me of other great Author's such as . Adam Nevill.. Joe Hart..Robert McCammon..Ania Alhborun..Graham Masterton etc. Looking forward to more!
Kim
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-read
A good collection of horror stories with a bit of a difference in that, in many of the stories, the narrator does not 'survive' his/ her encounter with their nemesis. Intriguing and well-written - 8.5/10.
john r. reeves
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Johnboycool

Interesting collection of short storys. Kind of reminds me of for sterling. Some were good and some were so so.
Aimee
Jul 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
dnf @ 50%

All the stories felt incomplete
Kathryn
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, collections
My first experience with Darcy Coates and I have to say, I’m well pleased. Review to come.
Patricia Barto
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love all

I really love all these short stories...could read a lot more. ..easy reading and some are actually kinda spooky...very creative
Celia Martin
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Could not get into this book as I do not enjoy short stories. So only read 2 stories.
amanda
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
darcy...how are you consistently so great???
Tricia Thompson
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As always Darcy did not let me down. Great book.
Mariam
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This short horror stories collection is a total page turner.
Each and every story is a four or five star read. I enjoyed reading it immensely.
Melissa Noel
Easy read.

Nice short but still creepy tales!
Definitely another good read!! :) :) :)
Amazing new found favorite thriller writer. A+
Kim Keown
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love her books

Found a new favorite author! This book was terrifying! Cannot wait to read more from Darcy Coates in the future!
Tanya
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghosts, darcy-coates
another awesome book by Darcy Coates this book collects fifteen chilling supernatural themed short stories. my personal favourites were Lights Out and The Mannequin both creepy tales of Mannequins which I find entertaining to read. Station 331 was a very enjoyable sci fi themed story that reminded me of some of my favourite body snatcher alien movies. this book is ideal for anyone just beginning to read supernatural themed books with new authors this is a great book to read to delve into this ...more
Unapologetic_Bookaholic
A horror collection by author Darcy Coates. All stories rated and/or reviewed below:

Lights Out
I love stories about possessed objects. Giving life to otherwise ordinary objects. Jodie works at a clothing store that is outdated and getting a makeover. Her boss has ordered some new mannequins to replace the old, broken ones. From the start Jodie gets strange vibes and does not like the new mannequins, even though they replace the older models. There is something unsettling about them. (***)

Mirror

• Callie (The Bayou Hauntings #1)
  • The House of Long Shadows (House of Souls #1)
  • The Nursery (The Bayou Hauntings Book 3)
  • The Haunting of Rainier Asylum (The Beckoning Dead Book 2)
  • The Haunting of Bechdel Mansion
  • Malefic (House of Souls #2)
  • The Haunting of Abram Mansion: A Riveting Haunted House Mystery
  • The Horror of Briarwych Church (The Briarwych Trilogy Book 2)
  • The Splendor of Fear
  • The Ghosts of Tullybrae House
  • The Haunting of Beacon Hill (The Beckoning Dead, 1)
  • The Haunting of Briarwych Church (The Briarwych Trilogy Book 1)
  • The Haunting of Lannister Hall
  • Don't Look Back
  • The Coldwater Haunting
  • Black Acres: The Complete Collection
  • The Demon of Mansfeld Manor (The Paranormal Archaeologist #1)
  • Forgotten Men
Darcy is the USA Today Bestselling author of Hunted, The Haunting of Ashburn House, Craven Manor, and more than a dozen horror and suspense titles.

She lives on the Central Coast of Australia with her family, cats, and a garden full of herbs and vegetables.

Darcy loves forests, especially old-growth forests where the trees dwarf anyone who steps between them. Wherever she lives, she tries to have a