Start by marking “If We Were Villains” as Want to Read:

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  44,460 ratings  ·  8,941 reviews
Oliver Marks has just served ten years in jail - for a murder he may or may not have committed. On the day he's released, he's greeted by the man who put him in prison. Detective Colborne is retiring, but before he does, he wants to know what really happened a decade ago.

As one of seven young actors studying Shakespeare at an elite arts college, Oliver and his friends play
Published April 11th 2017 by Flatiron Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Apr 11, 2017
    Calling all dark academia fans! Enter for a chance to win 1 of 50 Kindle editions of this novel that's perfect for Donna Tartt fans.

Good luck!

Format: Kindle book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 50 copies available, 4784 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Sep 13 - Sep 30, 2021

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about If We Were Villains, please sign up.
    Hannah Wilsey
    This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
    This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
    Peter
    This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  44,460 ratings  ·  8,941 reviews

Start your review of If We Were Villains
    chai ♡
    Folks, when you come across this book, you’ll hear a voice saying, “Oh, this sounds interesting! Do it.” That’s the devil talking.

I hate this book so much I can't bear it. I tore through it, but I feel like it tore through me. That ending grabbed an invisible dagger and twisted it between my ribs. I didn’t want to talk for like...three years. I was exhausted. My heart felt like it was rammed by a semi-truck.

Fuck you, book. You're a bound bundle of dead tree. How dare you.

So, what’s this book
    jessica
    Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favourites
    another reread and its good to know that dark academia is still my preferred aesthetic.

____________________________________

this book! this book! my kingdom for this book!

this is absolutely sensational, a true work of brilliance. i am so enamoured by this story and everything it has to offer. its quite clever and beyond invigorating - the type of book that fully immerses you whilst reading it.

the passion which radiates throughout this story makes me feel so in love with shakespeare and his words
    Elle (ellexamines)
    You can justify anything, if you do it poetically enough.

this is going to be one of my favorite books of the year... almost definitely. I’m saying that now on January 26th because I want you all to know. I genuinely cannot remember the last time I found myself so utterly engaged in a book.

Okay, so this is a drama set at a Shakespeare theater, in which a group of theater actors accidentally kill a man and deal with the fallout. Yay! Fun happy stuff. As the plays continue, their roles
     Teodora
    5/5 ⭐

Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf 🐺
    description

“We felt all the passions of the characters we played as if they were our own. But a character’s emotions don’t cancel out the actor’s – instead you feel both at once.”

I can’t even express how upset I am to see how underrated this book is. Like, how the fuck??

This is such a good book; I’ve been obsessed with it for at least a week straight and even though I felt the urge to devour it, I didn’t want it to end so fast so I had
    Melanie

“You can justify anything if you do it poetically enough.”

This book is so haunting, so atmospheric, so gripping, and so perfect. And If you, too, love The Secret History by Donna Tartt then I recommend this book with every single bone in my body. Also, this is such a love letter to Shakespeare and all his work, so if you appreciate that I think you’ll also fall so head over heels for this story. I’m honestly not sure what I expected going into If We Were Villains, but it is now one
    Kat
    Nov 28, 2020 marked it as will-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
    there’s a reason the only song i know from something rotten is “god, i hate shakespeare”

sorry, let me be serious. im bored, the constant quoting of the bard is annoying, and i really don't think this is gonna be something i like in the end. so, rather than give yet another well-loved dark academia a scathing review i think it would be better to just call it a day. dnf @ idk%
    Cindy
    Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    As someone who’s not familiar with theatre plays, I still enjoyed reading this book regardless. I’m sure theatre lovers will pick up all the nuances and appreciate it more, but it’s a fun ride with all the murder and melodrama, and I could still tell that much of the narrative mirrored plays that the characters were performing and quoting. There was a lot of building tension and intrigue throughout the story, though I felt the plot twist and the murder’s identity were predictable.
    Charlotte May
    "This thing of darkness I acknowledge mine."

I have no words. I expected this to be good - there are so many exceptional reviews, I really hoped it would live up to its hype.
    Well, it did and more!
    7 drama students at an Elite Arts University are in their final year. They are as close as 7 people can be, they fight, they love and above it all they are obsessed with the works of Shakespeare (bear this in mind if you don't like Shakespeare as there are loads of quotes and sections in here).

Oliver -
    ✨    jami   ✨

To sum up: This is the secret history, but written better and with less queerbait, and it focusses on Shakespeare not Greek myths. Dark Academia is That Genre, I love it so much and it fuels me. I'm so glad I finally read this, it was truly delicious. Also, I'm talking about my Theory for the end in the last past of this review to stay tuned, folks!

“The real sky was enormous overhead, making our mirrors and twinkling stage lights seem ridiculous- Man’s futile attempt to imitate God”

If We We
    karen
    until the ending, this was probably going to be a three star from me. a high three on the three-star spectrum, but a three nonetheless. it held my interest, but i think this one will resonate more with theater-kids than it did for me, because of how firmly entrenched it is in that world. rio makes it accessible to regular folk, but it probably helps to have a soft place in your heart for young actors and the things that drive them, and i’m someone impatient with affectation both in life and in m ...more
    Amalia Gkavea
    ‘’’Tis now dead midnight.’’
    Measure for Measure, Act 4, Scene 2

Why midnight?Midnight stands between light and darkness. The day that has been completed and the new one that slowly attempts to rise. During midnight, two key events take place in this glorious book, and like this haunting time of day, our characters are walking the thin line between good and evil. And for this, they make the best ‘’villains’’.

This book is so exquisite,so darkly beautiful that I didn’t want it to end. What f
    ;3

Kayla Dawn
    Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: owned-books
    Uhm.. this was boring?

And maybe I'm uncultured or whatever but my god all of those Shakespeare quotes annoyed the hell out of me.
    I didn't care for any of the characters, I didn't care for the plot and I didn't care who the murderer was (and if we're being honest, there wasn't even really a mystery here. I don't know if some stuff was supposed to be shocking or not, but it definitely was not thrilling)

I was bored out of my mind.

(And what's with those weird comments Oliver made about his sister
    emma
    Just got word - there's a new set of the coolest possible things you can be.
    1) very into Shakespeare (can quote at length in casual conversation)
    3) complicit in a murder with your group of friends

You might think that the coolest things you can be might include traditional things, like "in possession of a motorcycle" or "a New York-based artist with family money" or "on some sort of high school athletic team / squad designated to cheer on said team."

But you'd be wrong.

Dark academia knocks all
    Maxwell
    At the beginning I thought this was going to be a 5-star read for me. I was immediately sucked in and didn't want to put it down. I loved getting to know the characters; I found the setting and atmosphere very palpable and moody (it mostly takes place on a college campus in the late 1990's); and the Shakespearean elements were fun because I'd studied his work quite a bit in school.

However, as the story went on I found it to become quite predictable, and many of the elements from the beginning st
    Riley
    Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favorites, m-m
    well this is my favorite book of this year so far.
    also I feel attacked by that ending
    C.G. Drews
    [read 2 | june 2021]
    Absolutely chose to reread this to suffer and I am glad I did 😪The reread was fantastic, loved it so deeply (although a little less than the first time because I've read dark academia books I liked better since 2019) but the audiobook was a fantastic choice because listening to Shakespeare hit different. I just am here for poetically tragic books and this one has such a love for words, for reality told through a difference lens, for tight friendship groups and complicated, me
    Julie
    If We Were Villains by M.L. Rio is a 2017 Flatiron Books publication.

This is a psychological thriller for deep thinkers. There is crime and there is punishment. There is mystery, suspense. There are intense characters, shallow ones too, those who are fatalistic and those who are tragic… just like a Shakespearean play.

Ten years ago, Oliver Marks was one of seven Shakespearean actors at the prestigious Dellecher Classical Conservatory. Today he is about to walk out of a prison cell for the first
    amy ☂︎
    Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Personally, I believe this book belongs in jail for what it did to me. Coming out of If We Were Villains I feel tainted with the undeniable immorality of it all. I'm left with a sense of wrongness that will probably stick with me for the rest of my life. And yet I'm unhealthily, inexplicably and irreversibly drawn to this book.

There's something so fucking sexy about the intelligence that If We Were Villains posesses. I feel like I became a part of this story, as if I myself just witnessed a murd
    Mara YA Mood Reader
    Now this is what New Adult should be like! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

I had serious Dead Poets Society vibes here, I loved the dark academia atmosphere, with weird theatre kids haha.

I’m neutral when it comes to Shakespeare. I didn’t attend traditional high school so I was never academically exposed to it, nor did I seek it out on my own. I don’t like Shakespeare nor hate it...I simply just don’t know Shakespeare...

So in a way, I guess I was mildly intrigued by the heavy Shakespearean content and fan
    Eliza
    Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: Those who enjoyed "The Secret History," by Donna Tart
    *Update - 2018*

Because I still think about this book almost a year after reading it, I'm moving it to my favorite's shelf. I think it's deserving there, right alongside The Secret History and Vicious.
    ___________________________________

4.25-4.5/5 Stars

This was breathtakingly brilliant. Honestly, if this book isn't on your to-be-read list, it needs to be. It starts off shaky (at least it did to me), however, once it grabs your attention - it will not let go.

Now, where do I even start? Should I
    Rae
    His voice emerged, scratchy and raw from his throat. “Oliver, I don’t understand,” he said. “Why?”
    “You know why.” I was done pretending otherwise.

Honestly? Fuck this book. The audacity of it all for this monster to enter my house, sit on my shelves for months- and give me everything to die for before slapping me in the face- that is atrocious. Like, how fucking dare you?

If We Were Villains is my living dream book- it has morally-grey characters, a lot of Shakespeare, and the writing
    leynes
    Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Ugh. This is so fucking frustrating. If We Were Villains had the potential to be truly awesome and it ended up being a complete and utter clusterfuck. The Bard would not be happy ... or maybe he would, if I recall the plot of As You Like It correctly. M.L. Rio's debut novel seems to rival its ridiculousness of plot and lacklustre characterisation. But just because Willie Shakes would've liked it ... doesn't mean I have to. ;)

No, but for real, this book started out great. It is seperated into fi
    Amy Imogene Reads
    5 sonnet-inspiring stars

An anti-Shakespeare reader reads a book structured, centered, and deeply versed in Shakespeare....and literally falls head over heels for it? If We Were Villains was amazing.

Writing: ★★★★★
    Structure: ★★★★★
    Characters: ★★★★★
    Pacing: ★★★★★

Seven senior year college students at an intense fine arts conservatory in Illinois find themselves in their own version of a Shakespearean tragedy as real life begins to blur around the edges of Shakespeare's verse. The hero, the villain, t
    Grace (BURTSBOOKS)

I have no idea what to say - love doesn't seem like an accurate enough descriptor and nothing else comes to mind. This is 100% one of the most unique reading experiences I have ever had and now I have a headache. Full review to come.
    Susan's Reviews
    Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Where you able to decipher the clues in James' last note to Oliver?

If We Were Villains is an intelligent, well written theatrical thriller, with lots of emotional and physical drama. This is to be expected of a troupe of American theater students whose main focus is Shakespeare's works.

The bird's-eye view of casting and producing one of these dramas was interesting, but I felt distanced by those numerous archaic dramatic passages. And yet, these passages did help set the stage for a dark and he
    Hillary
    *slams hands on table* 5 FUCKING STARS

THIS BOOK WRECKED ME
    THIS BOOK PLAYED WITH MY FEELINGS
    THIS BOOK THRUST ME INTO A NIGHTMARE I WAS HAPPY TO BE PART OF

Actors are by nature volatile—alchemic creatures composed of incendiary elements, emotion and ego and envy. Heat them up, stir them together, and sometimes you get gold. Sometimes disaster.

Reading this book was like drowning in syrup. The epitome of bittersweet. I loved it so much it physically hurts. I’m unable to really talk about it witho
    lucky little cat
    "No, no, no, no."
    "Why are people handing this five stars?"
    "I don't know, maybe they're all in love with Richard. God knows all the rest of us are."
    Really? But then I remembered not everyone was in love with Richard.
    "But hasn't anyone noticed it's a lightweight Secret History wannabe, only with annoying theater majors?"
    "And perchance with only the most obvious quotes from the Bard?"
    "Sh! They'll hear you!"
    "And you entirely left out the frequent whiffs of Harry Potter-ishness."
    "I'm not sure I-
    MaryGrace
    Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I HATE THIS BOOK I HATE THIS BOOK I HATE THIS BOOK. I JUST SPENT THE LAST HALF HOUR SOBBING ON A PUBLIC BUS AT 10:15 PM AND THAT IS NOT OKAY

Buddy Read with Katie (aka Patronusaurus)
    Diane S ☔
    Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: lor
    4.5. A small elite school, a theater program that is only about Shakespeare, seven friends, seniors, together from the beginning, strong, intense friendships formed. Oliver, our narrator, one of the seven, just released from spending tempers in prison. How did something so special, so promising, go so wrong?

A novel of love, obsession, friendship passion and betrayal. Spending all their on and off time together, this little theater group becomes more important to each other than their real famili

• The Secret History
    • The Atlas Six (The Atlas, #1)
    • These Violent Delights
    • Vicious (Villains, #1)
    • Ace of Spades
    • The Song of Achilles
    • These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights, #1)
    • Vengeful (Villains, #2)
    • One Last Stop
    • Bunny
    • Rule of Wolves (King of Scars, #2)
    • Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
    • The Raven King (All for the Game, #2)
    • The Foxhole Court (All for the Game, #1)
    • The King's Men (All for the Game, #3)
    • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
    • The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue
    • Cemetery Boys
    See top shelves…
    M. L. Rio is an author, but before she was an author she was an actor, and before she was an actor she was just a word nerd whose best friends were books. She holds a master's degree in Shakespeare Studies from King's College London and Shakespeare's Globe. She currently lives in Washington, D. C., but she is terrible at updating online bios, so this information will probably be outdated by the ti ...more

Articles featuring this book

Where do you go for fantastical, must-read book recommendations? This summer we're turning to the experts of illusion,...
    “For someone who loved words as much as I did, it was amazing how often they failed me.” 588 likes
    “You can justify anything if you do it poetically enough.” 476 likes