Start by marking “Breathe” as Want to Read:
Breathe

Breathe

Sometimes love is fated in the stars. You know you are destined for each other. Your souls entwine and you can’t imagine your life without them.

Sometimes it’s found when you’re not looking for it. It peeks around the corner when you least expect it, sweeping you off your feet, carrying you off into the sunset.

Sometimes, there are a lucky few who get to experience both. I w
Published December 12th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Breathe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breathe

KAS
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

Whew! This one puts you through an emotional wringer!

It is a story of finding the love of your life. A story of bad decisions, trust and forgiveness. A definite story of second chances.

Carsten is one of those rare individuals who is lucky enough to be loved with utter and complete devotion, but the roads leading to experience that kind of love is really hard fought, and achingly heartbreaking.

Being loved like this is such an amazing feeling. I hope that I never get used to it.

I was
Snow
BR with my beautiful Sirens-Shanny & Denise

And this is supposed to be an 'ugly cry' book...lol

Ah damn, excuse my sceptical sarcasm...

But my 'people' know that I never cry...*smirks*

So, be it...

Anyway, after finishing this book, all I can really state is 'that's fuckin life for you, darlin'

Cause our heroine in the beginning made a huge mistake, she made a bad decision and she knew it BUT she didn't find the inner strength to own it and change the bad situation she found herself in...

And lucki
Paige
5+ “I Got You” Stars

Well I wanted ugly cry, and I got it. Breathe was a powerful love story that spanned years and I will never forget it. Bonus now I’ve added another new to me author to stalk.

I bought this book at a signing last summer. It sat pretty on my shelf until today when I needed a tear jerker book to complete this month’s reading challenge. As I was searching my shelves, I remembered that when I spoke to the author, she said that everyone who read it said to make sure you have tissue
Natasha Carrere
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-finished

Amber Lacie is an amazing writer and she knows how to put you through the ringer. If you're looking for a book that you will love for the rest
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amber Lacie you are killing me!!
You made me cry ugly tears woman!!

“It’s ok. I got you!” My absolute favourite phrase. So powerful!
I don’t want to go into too much detail, because you have to read this amazing piece of writing for yourself.
However, I will say this; if Michael was real and I ever met him, I would kill him. Holden and his parents are a dream come true. Such genuine characters that fill your heart with love. Holden himself was so yum, I just wanted to devour him. His love for Carste
Nerdy Dirty & Flirty
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
☆☆☆☆☆
~LYNZI~
If I could give this book 100 ☆'s I would. This one gutted me. It takes a lot for me to cry, but this one got me. I wasn't expecting for my heart to be slayed, nor was I expecting this book to be like this.

I can't really write a review like I normally do, because it would give to much away, and giving it away is not something I want to do. Just know this book is absolutely amazing. It has made my heart cry and sing all at once.

We go into it with Carsten writing a book about her life
Melanie Maloney
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t know where to begin other than I am spent!!! This book was turbulent and emotional. I loved every tearful moment! Read with a box of tissues. Once you pick this book up you won’t put it down!
Read.Review.Repeat Blog
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"This book tore me up. It's been so long since I've cried so hard with a story that just reaches into my heart and squeezes then rips it out, stomps on it then slowly mends it back together. Seriously this book had it all for me. I went through every emotion possible and came out at the end so drained it took me days before I could even read another book.

A.BookNerd.Bookseller&Bibliophile.Blog
~A Bibliophile ❤📚
🌹Natasha🌹
Alright so I saw that this book had a lot of 5 star reviews and that it was really heartbreaking. Perfect for me! Well, I’m beginning to think the jokes on me and somehow I’m not getting the same stories as everyone else. This is like the 3rd book in a row where everyone loved it but me. 😒 Not cool.

Holden is in love with his best friend, Carsten, but she has Michael. Carsten is ready to leave her small town and get away from everything that’s haunting her. Michael is her only way out but he’s n
Amy
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, I did not love this book. Too cliche for me.

Carsten is with Michael, not a good guy. But Holden her BFF since 5 loves her too. One thing is not like the other. Holden is the perfect guy, where Michael is the opposite. He's just a dick. By the time Carsten figures it out, I'm already annoyed. I get that she is young and had a crappy life, but c'mon, have some self-respect. Say no. I couldn't relate to any of the characters or the situations - thankfully.

Finally, she leaves Mic
2OCC Reviews
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jessica
I really liked this story. It was an emotional read and has lots of things happen and it's a wild ride. Hurt, sorrow, regret, laughter, friendship and love. This book seems to have it all.

The story was one of moving forward and overcoming things that happen. Carsten was strong but at times she came across as weak. This was her story, so I'm not going to talk about other characters but I liked the direction that it too. It's not an easy book to read. There are triggers in this book but I feel th
Lynn
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written

Amber Lacie has written a beautiful tale of a good soul Carsten. Through her life, Carsten has lost a parent, found what she thought was her true love, and was abused. Holden, a childhood friend falls for Carsten at age 5 and never stops loving her. Life tragedies get in the way, and Carsten has to find a way to 'Breathe' to tolerate what life has dealt her.
Owen and Carsten meet at dinner get together. Sparks fly between the two, but is Carsten ready to give life a chance?
Hav
Shelly hammett
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
It’s ok. I got you. You will fall head over heels for Holden.Carsden is trying to get out of the town where her mother died and her father is in continuous mourning.But,what price she will pay to leave everything and everyone behind?
Michael is her ticket out and he says that he will take care of her
Kathy K.
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very emotional and gripping love story.
Renee
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
You know it was good. Sad and sadder and drama Made me think a lot about someone!

I am glad I a read it. I like this author a lot and can’t wait to read more from her.
Kathleen R.
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Title: Breathe
Author: Amber Lacie

" You don't scare me. Bring it on"
" That's my girl." My breath stops for a second, my stomach twists into tiny summersaults.

photo 5 Buttons.jpg_zpshyhsjgb0.jpg

Breathe. I can't remember the number of times that the simple word was repeated like a mantra and it's become one of the most used ones since the very first chapter. Amber Lacie has really done it this time - the number of times I've needed to stop and reflect on the pasage I had just read were so many that I didn't know what to make of i
Claire Ingram
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was unsure whether to rate this a 4 or a 5 like I'm unsure whether to love or hate this author and I think it's a bit of both. I am convinced Amber Is a sadist ...she made me cry, with her words Wah :'(
Ok joking aside I love this author she made me care so deeply for her characters.
Poor Carsten I just wanted to wrap her up and keep her safe and I couldn't
I'm surprised this isn't based on a true story, the realism of thought and emotion had me convinced that the author at the least has experie
Anny hernandez
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was provided a copy of the book by the Author for an honest review.

Wow just wow I cant breath I'm still drying my eyes out, I really don't know how to write this review without giving to much away but ill tried. This is the first book that I read from this author and let me just say that this book has me on an emotional roller coaster.

At the beginning of the book I was angry at the main character I kept thinking what the hell is she doing. But the more I read into it the more I end up loving
Donna Smith
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Contains Spoilers
This one slayed me! I love Ms. Lacie's writing so much! She pours so much into her characters that I forget they are fictional. Carsten is a beautiful soul that has so much happen to her In a short amount of time. She looses her mother while in high school, her father can't cope with his loss and gets lost in a bottle, and the boy she feels a connection with becomes very possessive. She stays with him way beyond what she should and I feel the emotions of why with every word that
Sophie Koufes
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This one has me crying as I am writing this. I love this authors writing as she pulls you in with these amazing characters that capture your heart and soul. This is a beautifully written & developed novel with no plot holes. This book will have you on an emotional roller-coaster ride so get your tissues ready. We meet Carsten who is a beautiful young women who has had her heart broken, mended, shattered again, then broken into pieces & put back together. As with all of this authors ...more
Cyndi Becker
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this story ! It's raw and intense and packed with emotion. A young woman makes poor decisions, consequences ensue, life is good and bad and good again...I won't spoil anything for anyone and other readers left beautiful reviews about the impact of the story line and love of the characters. I agree with every 5 star review on the beauty of this story.

So, it's sound like I'm qualifying something here...I am. I have one complaint and I only point it out because for me this affects the reada
Rebecca Hollingsworth
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is beautifully written, with a storyline that will break your heart, mend it, shatter it, then piece by piece, put it back together. There is nothing quiet like a some what happy ending, romance, friendships, death, abuse, alcoholics, and forgiveness.

All around excellent story!
Angie
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Review coming soon. **LOVED, LOVED, LOVED!!!**
Casey
Find this review and more at Ramblings From This Chick

Breathe is the first book that I have ever read from Amber Lacie and it was so much more than I had been expecting. This book was so good, and if I am honest it was really hard to get through at times. It was so emotional and while it was hard to get through, it was such a beautiful story. This definitely won't be the last I read from Amber Lacie.

I won't get into the details about this story, because I really think that this book just needs
Ebbie ~Author Groupies
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing

This was a beautiful love story. Most people are lucky to find the love of a lifetime once but Carsten is able to find it twice. I loved this book, it broke me several times but Ms. Lacie left me heart happy in the end.

This is the story of Carsten's life as good be her. She didn't have an easy life. Her mother died and her father checked out and turned to alcohol to cope. Carsten just wanted a way out of town and to be able to start a new life. She saw her boyfriend, Michael, as her way out. Sh
Stacey Broadbent
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I was told this book would have me in tears, and it's true, it did. Breathe tells the story of Carsten, a girl who was dealt a rough hand in life. Her mother passed at an early age, leaving her with a father who couldn't cope, turning to the bottle more and more. Basically, they switched roles, the child having to become the parent. It's no wonder she took her chance on the boy who promised to take her away from it all, even when it meant leaving the boy she'd loved since she was five.
She'd
Katie Silvi
My Review May Contain Spoilers!

This review is a tough one for me to write.
This book has it moments and its ups and downs. I honestly broke this book down into three parts. I wasnt emotionally invested in it until what I call the third part.
I totally wasnt a fan of the first part. The emotional and physical abuse that Michael puts Carsten through is truly heartbreaking, but the beginning felt repetitive. For me there was just too much filler, making Carstens abuse seem endless. Yes it went on f
Deb
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was attending Indies In Indy 2017 Author/Reader event when I met, unknown to me, Author Amber Lacie. She shared a bit about each of her books and then pointed to "Breathe" and said "it's guaranteed to make you cry"! My answer, "I don't cry". She challenge me to read "Breathe" and even added to the challenge! I made a note to check it out on Amazon and went as far as adding it to my Wish List while at her table. I continued walking around the event and something in me said to accept the challen ...more
Teri
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't ready. I love when author's take chances and blow you out of the water with the results. This author pours it all into this book and there are so many things she incorporates that individually would have stomped on an author with less skills. I can't talk about this book there are too many things if I touched on it would make me give you too many details. This woman is stronger than you can imagine for dealing with the challenges life through her way. Alcohol, abuse, loss, change, recov ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Romance Retreat: Breathe by Amber Lacie 1 5 Oct 22, 2018 10:24AM

• Bad Husband
  • The Divorce (The Relationship Quo, #1)
  • Beware Of The Stranger (New York, Americana, #32)
  • Love & Sk8
  • The Solemn Vow
  • Like Broken China
  • As It Seems
  • One Fine Day (Molly, #2)
  • What goes around comes around (Lily's Story #1)
  • Princess From the Past
  • Zenith Falling (Zenith Trilogy, #1)
  • Winter Blues
  • A Right to Remain
  • Before the Storm (Storms of Life, #2)
  • Keeping London (Flawed Heart, #2)
  • Saving Us (Paradise Taken, #2)
  • Girl in the Mirror (Looking Glass)
Indie-Award Winning Author Amber Lacie is about all things books, glitter, and shenanigans. Never without a book or caffeinated goodness, she's managed a husband that worships at her alter and two awesome kiddos, all while pumping out tales of love and suspense. Growing up in Chicagoland, she's seen the nitty, and knows the gritty. As for love and home, that landed her in Beverly Shores, Indiana w ...more