Start by marking “Silver and Bone” as Want to Read:
Silver and Bone

Silver and Bone

Jennifer Jones is trying to be a better person.

It's not easy. She has a lot to make up for, considering that she's an immortal blood-sucker with a history of serial killing. But at least she probably can't get worse.

And for the last seventy years, things have been going well. She's got a job, friends she cares about, a steady relationship, and she hasn't killed a single hu
Published November 10th 2018 by Black Sheep Books (first published October 31st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Silver and Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver and Bone

Start your review of Silver and Bone
Sally ☾
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookshelf, paranormal
"Grief is for times when people aren't trying to kill you. Anger keeps you alive."

Silver and Bone was fast paced, paranormal mystery/thriller novel with super fun and likable characters who you just couldn't help rooting for. The writing and the story arc overall were nicely done and easy to read. Though I will admit, there were some parts that were a bit info-dumpy, but the paranormal political system that Cain has created is clearly well thought out, so it wasn't too bad.

Though it'
Skye Kilaen
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 0-genre-fantasy
I can't remember the last time I fell in love so hard with a series that spent so much time kicking me in the heart. This is a paranormal police procedural / mystery / thriller series about Jennifer Jones, a bisexual vampire with a history of serial killing who reformed and now works as a detective for the police division that handles supernatural threats and crimes. It's somber, often tense, and at times heartbreaking. Cain's characterization skills are amazing to me, especially given how many ...more
Lauren (Northern Plunder)
My review was first posted on Northern Plunder, you can read more of my reviews there too.

I’m super thankful that Claudia reached out to me to offer me a review copy of Silver & Bone. She reached out just before I went to Ohio in March and I was like hell yeah this will be the perfect book to read on the plane.

Then do you know what happened? I got accepted for The Heart Forger book tour which I 100% didn’t think I’d be selected for and had to rejuggle my reading plan.

Anyway I’m here now. I’ve re
Courtney  (courtneyandherbooks)
Rating: 4.5/5 stars.

Love vampires and everything supernatural but sick of the cheesy consistency that is most vampire books? Welcome to the book you need! Cain's supernatural mystery is a refreshing take on a cliched genre which has you hanging to the edge of your seat and page turning faster and faster.

Silver and Bone follows a vampire detective, Jennifer Jones, and a series of murders she and her friends/colleagues (a range of humans and other supernatural beings) must solve before Jennifer is
P. Kirby
'Nother "Flawed, but entertaining" book.

Silver and Bone is best described as old-school Urban Fantasy (UF). With its vampire heroine, bevy of good looking men, and murder mystery-driven plotline, it's in the vein of schtuff from back in the day--Laurel Hamilton, Kim Harrison, Patricia Briggs, et. al. Looong ago. LOL. It doesn't seem that long ago, but Hamilton, and her various clones had their heyday starting in the 90s--twenty some-odd years ago.

There's nothing original about Silver and Bone;
Julia (BrightBoldAndBookish)
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Before I begin I would like to thank Claudia Cain for contacting me and asking me to review her book because it was simply awesome-sauce (She very kindly offered to send me a free review ebook copy but because PDF + Julia's Phone = Disaster, I opted to buy a copy off of amazon because it was like $2. Which I totally did not mind doing FYI).

Silver and Bone has to be one of the coolest books I have read this year. It was just groovy and exactly what I needed read right now. For those of you who ar
Becky
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5/5 stars

Not interested in reading a book about vampires? Then NZ author Claudia Cain’s first book Silver and Bone will change your mind as this book is completely refreshing and has an amazing spin on supernatural beings.

Silver and Bone is about Jennifer Jones, a vampire detective, who has suddenly been framed for murder when she hasn’t killed a human in years. With the help of friends, there is only a limited amount of time for Jennifer Jones to figure out this mystery before it’s to
Sarah (sarahlostbutfound )
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
You can run as much as you want, but sometimes your past just comes to get you, in the big and murderous way .

Caine's Urban Fantasy debut Silver and Bone gets 🌟🌟🌟🌟/5 surprised stars from me!!! .

When asked for an honest review, I have to say that I had a hard time getting into the first person, present tense writing. But all of a sudden, the story got me, I got invested in the plot & characters, and was suddenly right there next to Jennifer, who's investigating murders that seem strangely familia
Shaylyn
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am so glad I discovered Claudia Cain on Twitter and decided to try her book even though I'd never read anything in that genre. The story immediately sucked me in, which is no small feat as my ADHD makes it difficult to get into any new book.

The main character drew me in right away and the rest of the cast felt like old friends of mine by the end. The aspects of supernatural life played out in such an intriguing way with relatable and frequently very human emotion swirling around in alien, unna
Tara (Spinatale Reviews)
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve been on a huge urban fantasy kick lately so when I was offered the chance to review Silver and Bone, I couldn’t resist. Once I started reading, I couldn’t put it down. The plot, the characters, and the world were all so wonderful and enjoyable. Thematically, it reminded me a bit of the TV show Jessica Jones. Silver and Bone was a quick, fun read that left me wanting the next book immediately.

I loved how Cain explored Jessica’s past. Rather than being explained in an info-dump, the reveal of
Jenn
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
If I could I would give this book a 4.5/5 rating. Only because crime books are usually the one genre that I can never really get into or like. But what a game changer this one is !! I find that a lot of crime books are dragged out - from a writers perspective i can understand setting the scene for everything to line up. But what Claudia Cain has managed to do was not only line everything up perfectly so it all clicks in the end but kept me interested throughout. There were no boring bits. The su ...more
Simone van Heijst
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A little over a week ago New Zealand based author Claudia Cain contacted me if I wanted to read her urban fantasy novel, Silver and Bone. I really like urban fantasy, so of course I said yes.

There are a lot of things I like about this book. The first is that it jumps right into the action. There is not a single moment that this book has you feeling bored. Second, there is a good amount of sarcasm and wit, and since sarcasm is my third language, I was often actually laughing out loud.

I also thin
 Nat (faerytales_and_fangirling)
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

Vampires? Werewolves? Fairies? Goblins? Even Necromancers? Can you ask for more??

Silver and Bone offers a full range of paranormal delicacies in one tasty morsel. Set in an intricately detailed urban-fantasy world that is jammed packed with murder, politics, gripping action and sassy banter!

Silver and Bone follows the story of Jennifer Jones - an elite vampire agent with 'The Bureau' (an organisation set up to monitor all of the paranormal activity and crime in San Franci
Louisa
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars

So firstly thanks to the author for letting me read her book for an honest review because boy, I'm so glad I got to read this amazing book. I don't even know where to start except i NeEd ThE sEcOnD bOoK NoW. So as we know, vampire/werewolf books can be super cheesy, I mean I'm not naming any books but I think we can guess what one I mean *cough* twilight *cough* but this is anything but that. There's so much to love about it like the characters, the plot, the storyline, the writing. O
Ellen
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Claudia Cain has done something very special with this book. You might be thinking, ugh, another vampire novel? BUT, I urge you dear readers to give "another vampire novel" a chance.

Jennifer Jones is a detective in San Francisco. She is also over 300 years old and a vampire. She works for the Supernatural Crime Investigation Bureau and is surrounded by an odd cast of characters. From werewolves to the fair folk this book is filled with the odd and mysterious. Most mysterious of all is a string o
Julia
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Silver and Bone is a wonderfully fast paced novel with a kick-butt heroine. I absolutely devoured this novel. It had action packed fight scenes, amazing dialogue, and the dynamics between all the characters were so expertly crafted. If you love a good paranormal novel I highly recommend Silver and Bone!
Amanda
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fast paced with some good one liners.
Julia Smith
I love a good kick-ass female protagonist. This one comes with a brilliant sense of humour, attitude, intelligence, and empathy. Jennifer Jones is a detective for the San Francisco Bureau of Supernatural Crime. She happens to be a vampire. Although a reformed serial killer, her unsavoury history has caught up with her and Jennifer is now being framed for murder.

There is plenty to like in this action-packed supernatural mystery. Although this is a genre I read very little of, I found Silver & B
Keely
Michael Lee
May 03, 2018

• The Topeka School
  • Lost Children Archive
  • The Secret Commonwealth (The Book of Dust, #2)
  • How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy
  • Make Yourself at Home: Discover Your Style and Transform Your Space for Inspired Living
  • Henry and Ribsy (Henry, #3)
  • Scatter, Adapt, and Remember: How Humans Will Survive a Mass Extinction
  • Socks
  • The Education of an Idealist: A Memoir
  • Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
  • Lyra's Oxford (His Dark Materials, #3.5)
  • Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1)
  • Dame Traveler: Live the Spirit of Adventure
  • Adulting: How to Become a Grown-up in 468 Easy(ish) Steps
  • I Am Not Your Slave: A Memoir
  • Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)
  • The Last Day
  • The Butterfly Girl (Naomi Cottle, #2)
Claudia Cain is the author of the Silver and Bone trilogy, bringing together crime and fantasy in a supernatural San Francisco.

She currently lives in the New Zealand and can usually be found either writing or reading. She owns more books than strictly necessary, and loves fantasy, animals, and dark humour.

News & Interviews