Start by marking “Alex and Eliza (Alex & Eliza, #1)” as Want to Read:
Alex and Eliza (Alex & Eliza, #1)

Alex and Eliza (Alex & Eliza #1)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  8,171 Ratings  ·  1,667 Reviews
Their romance shaped a nation. The rest was history.

1777. Albany, New York.

As battle cries of the American Revolution echo in the distance, servants flutter about preparing for one of New York society’s biggest events: the Schuylers’ grand ball. Descended from two of the oldest and most distinguished bloodlines in New York, the Schuylers are proud to be one of their fledg
Published April 11th 2017 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Alex and Eliza, please sign up.
Csilla People, you are not answering the question! Regardless of the historical accuracy, the question remains: is this book-version of Angelica in love with…morePeople, you are not answering the question! Regardless of the historical accuracy, the question remains: is this book-version of Angelica in love with this book-version of Hamilton?
Since this book was inspired by the musical, it is a valid question.
And if the answer is 'no' - just say so and don't substitute the real answer with a history lesson, which is irrelevant in the context of a fanfic's plot.(less)
Marianna I knew nothing about Hamilton and I just finished the book.... I loved the story. It was extremely well written with plenty of background information…moreI knew nothing about Hamilton and I just finished the book.... I loved the story. It was extremely well written with plenty of background information for full comprehension but without any dull details that would potentially bore a reader. Approach it as you would any other YA Book and you won't be disappointed. (less)

Bookgirl :)
Nov 02, 2016 marked it as to-read
11/2/16:
I WILL NEVER BE SATISFIED UNTIL I READ THIS BOOK
NO, I'M NOT WILLING TO WAIT FOR IT
WHEN I TALK ABOUT WANTING THIS BOOK NONSTOP, EVERYONE WILL SAY, "WE KNOW"
I HOPE I CAN STAY ALIVE AFTER FINISHING IT
I JUST WANT TO READ THIS BOOK; THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH
WHEN DID THIS NEWS COME OUT? WHAT'D I MISS?
AFTER THIS BOOK, WHAT COMES NEXT?
I WON'T BE ABLE TO SAY NO TO (BUYING) THIS BOOK
I WON'T TAKE A BREAK WHILE READING THIS BOOK
Cait • A Page with a View
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-arcs, historical
Ok, I should probably preface this by saying that I have never seen/heard that Hamilton musical...

But that also means I was able to approach this as a regular historical YA romance and just look at the story as it is. I didn't have any preconceived ideas about how the characters should be, so my take on it might be slightly different.

I ended up really enjoying this book! The author had to take some creative freedom with Alex and Eliza's lives, but I liked what she came up with. The story mostly
Ryan
Nov 07, 2016 marked it as i-need-this-like-i-need-air
WOAH, WOAH, WOAH. HOLD UP. IS THIS WHAT I THINK IT IS? A YA RETELLING OF HAMILTON? FUCK YES, I NEEDED THIS YESTERDAY.

emi
2.5/5 stars

I would be giving this book two stars, as it was so incredibly boring, but it was full of Hamilton references and that alone bumps it up a star.

Overall, this book almost put me asleep multiple times. This was not written by Lin-Manuel Miranda, and, for some reason, my heart was expecting it was. In other words, this is nothing like Hamilton. If you hope to enjoy it, then I would suggest should disconnecting both stories from your mind and see them as separate entities. I didn't. I
Stacee
I will admit that everything I know about Hamilton I've learned from LMM, and perhaps that's my own downfall going into this book. I wanted to love this so much.

I wanted to see the delicious banter that is hinted at in the musical. Instead, Angelica comes across as bitter, Peggy insipid, and Eliza naive. I saw nothing of the smart, charismatic girls I was expecting. Yes, the moments between Alex and Eliza are eventually sweet, there is a lot of book to get through before those moments happen.

T
*TANYA*
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2017, own-it
Exquisite!!!! A truly great and very endearing love story. The honor, self sacrifice, and era are reminiscent of Pride and Prejudice. I was not expecting to love it so much. A must read if you’re a Jane Austen fan!!!
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
This is honestly a really hard book for me to rate and review. I have a lot of mixed feelings so it's hard for me to decide on a solid rating.
Now first off to clarify, this is not a rip off of Hamilton the musical. The inspiration for this came from the author seeing the musical, but it tells an entirely different story. This is just what the title says, a love story. However, it's a different love story than the one we see in Hamilton the musical (which I will be just referring to as Hamilton f
Whitney Atkinson
DNF at 1/3 of the way through.

I think I'll try this one again in the future but I'm really disappointed by this. The writing is not good at all. The inner monologue and explanations of the Revolutionary War is really dry and the dialogue is eye-rolling and vapid. There is absolutely no charm behind Hamilton or Eliza's characters and De La Cruz, so far, has really not fleshed them out at all.

I think my love for the musical is blinding me to enjoying this book because the versions of those charac
Tweebs♥️ (hiatus)
BEFORE READING:

○ I don't know shit about Hamilton.
○ But I'm interested
○ SIGN ME UP

AFTER READING:

○ I still don't know shit about Hamilton.

You're probably like, "Wtf does that make sense?"

Yes, I don't know shit but you can't blame me. This book was straight up info dump. It just never ended. I found myself fighting off sleep like I couldn't pay attention AND I JUST SJHJSHJHJABMBMHSKHSKJHSJKS. I was supposed to like this because I wanted to understand the big hype over this Hamilton dude???
Kimi
Apr 20, 2017 marked it as to-read
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS!!!!
Juliet-Camille
Wow! I really enjoyed this!

I'm a huge Hamilton fan, and let me be clear this is completely different than the musical, but still really enjoyable.

Full review to come.

PRE-READING THOUGHTS:
Alexander Hamilton

His name is Alexander Hamilton

description

And there's a million things he hasn't done

But just you wait

Just you wait!!!!

katwiththehat
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-2
Absolutely adorable YA historical fiction about Alexander Hamilton and Eliza Schuyler, who had a whirlwind romance back during the American Civil War. This was swoony and sweet with lots of chemistry between the two leads, and I enjoyed the cute old-fashioned courtship, historical details, and Eliza’s sass. Really looking forward to the sequel, which is coming out soon!

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader.
may ❀
Apr 13, 2017 marked it as to-read

i don't know anything about Hamilton™ the musical OOPS but i'm still hella interested in this book
Jessica
I just saw the tagline for this, and now I'm annoyed:
...the rest was history...
No, this is not history. This is make believe.

I was excited about this because, after becoming obsessed with the musical, I went on to read the Ron Chernow biography of Alexander Hamilton last summer. Chernow is clearly a great admirer of Eliza as well Alexander, and the introduction is all about her in her final years. Eliza was an amazing woman, but she did in fact destroy most of her letters and any diaries prior
Romie
Disclaimer : this review was written while listening to Hamilton. Of course. Who do you think I am?

Trigger warnings : sexual assault, forced marriage, ‘she asked for it’

I really liked it?I had read so many mix reviews, I didn’t expect to actually enjoy the book, enjoy at the point of giving it at least 4 stars. But I did.
Though I thought the story would cover more of their time together, I enjoyed seeing they came to fall in love.
So I checked, and the infos in this book are pretty accurate - wel
alexandra
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it
this book had me helplesssssss from the start! would highly (highly!!) recommend to all hamilton fans, as it left me über satisfied.
Kate (GirlReading)
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5*
Going into this, I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. I've not watched Hamilton the musical (although I adore the soundtrack and have listened to the album uncountable times) neither do I have much knowledge of American history, as it's not something that was covered in my history classes in the uk. Therefore, I didn't have many preconceptions of what this story would entail. I also can't be sure how historically accurate this was or where the facts finished and the creative liberties sta
Suzanne
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a really cute story. I am not usually a reader that looks for historical romances but I love this author so wanted to read it as soon as I heard she was releasing a new book. I enjoyed it immensely. As some one who is not into historical romances I do not really pay any mind to historical accuracy.
Adalyn (Glittering Reads)
A YA Hamilton retelling (ish)!!!!!! Can you get any better?

after reading:
it was cute, but not amazing. I'll be posting a full review soon
Conniebell
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i really really loved this book! i'm not sure how accurate it is to history but as a HUGE fan of Hamilton the musical i knew that i was going to love this (and i did)⭐ ...more
Mari
Nov 07, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: priority-tbr
WHHHHAAAAATTT??

Ha, the call of money.
You better be good, book.
Cindy
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars

- I do love the musical, but I am going to base my review on this being just a YA romance book and I LOVE historical fiction!
- So I just wanted to keep on reading and reading, and it was so so adorable!!
- I loved seeing the Schuyler sisters and the wit and banter between Alex and Eliza
- The writing was fun and the characters were so witty and charming
- I loved Eliza, how witty she was and how she stood up for what she believed in
- Alex was so so charming and it was kinda weird seeing 'cou
TL
Apr 19, 2017 rated it liked it
This one I picked up on a whim at work when I wasn't in the mood for my current reads. I was just scanning the shelves, thinking Pick Something! when I came to this book. I remembered hearing about this one briefly and GR having a couple giveaways for it but other than that, I didn't know much about it. Reading the summary on the jacket, I figured What the hell? and decided to take a chance on it.

I loved the vibe this one had going for it... reminded me of My Lady Jane in that way only (this
Elizabeth
Apr 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
This book makes me angry. Not because it's a YA re-telling of how Alexander Hamilton met Eliza Schuyler but because it's so poorly researched. I’m a history major who has the major interest in the American Revolution. So learning about the war, and the people who played either central roles or roles in general, comes as a second nature. Also being a history major alone means I spend a lot of my time researching and I understand how researching can get. But if you’re writing a historical fiction ...more
Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles)
DNF @ 25%

While the narrator was fine, there is nothing she could do to save this book. I think reading a textbook might be more enjoyable than reading this book. The writing is really cliché and uninspired. The story is really slow and melodramatic, and considering the subject matter, it shouldn't be this way. This is the only time I've seen Hamilton depicted as inarticulate, and it's painful...

Courtney
Nov 02, 2016 marked it as to-read
Um, I need this, like... NOW.

K.
Trigger warnings: war, attempted rape, medical procedures.

It should surprise literally none of you that this was one of my most anticipated books of the year, because I am the Queen of Hamiltrash and I bow to no one. So when I saw that there was a YA book about Alexander Hamilton and Eliza Schuyler's romance coming out, I was S.O.L.D.

Except.

This is honestly one of the most boring books I've ever read. Like, it drags on and on and ON and deals with so much random other stuff that was happening
Anna
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this one! I had pretty low expectations, and it's only because the arc arrived on my doorstep that I decided to pick it up.

While it wasn't prize winning literature, it was really fun and easy to just sit down and read. I was delighted by the slightly old-fashioned writing, and all of the descriptions of dresses and manors and wigs were just fun. Sort of like a sillier knock off of Pride & Prejudice? The history elements included were interesting to follow along
Stephanie Anze
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded to 4

In the midst of the American Revolution, the Schuyler family throws a ball. Colonel Alexander Hamilton is on the guest list. Though he has some rather unfortunate news to deliver, he is none-the-less happy to be there. When he gets the opportunity to dance with Eliza Schuyler (one of the three Schuyler daughters), he is awe struck by her presence. Thus begins a legendary love story.

Once upon a time, I took AP US history in highschool and studied the American Revolution in depth.
Amber Robertson
I personally didn't really like Eliza as a character in Hamilton - which, I know, isn't a true representation of her, but will this be either? THOUGH, I'm so excited for this and need it as badly as I need a burrito (very badly).
For Love of a Book: Alex and Eliza - Buddy Read June 3 11 Jun 01, 2018 04:24AM
Hume-Fogg Readers: Alex & Eliza 1 5 Mar 15, 2018 08:53AM
The Worst Bestsel...: Episode 85 - Alex & Eliza 2 23 Nov 13, 2017 11:55AM
Characters: Musical vs. Book 4 19 Oct 26, 2017 05:13AM
IGGPPC Iggle Book...: August 2017 Book of the Month- Alex and Eliza 3 18 Sep 03, 2017 04:18PM
Melissa de la Cruz is the New York Times and USA Today best-selling author of many critically acclaimed and award-winning novels for teens including The Au Pairs series, the Blue Bloods series, the Ashleys series, the Angels on Sunset Boulevard series and the semi-autobiographical novel Fresh off the Boat.

Her books for adults include the novel Cat’s Meow, the anthology Girls Who Like Boys Who Like
More about Melissa de la Cruz

Alex & Eliza (2 books)
  • Love & War (Alex & Eliza, #2)

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
  • Hate List
    $8.99 $1.99
“I think kindness, out of all virtues, is the best quality to have.” 18 likes
“I meant does it hurt when you hide every last shred of your individuality and self worth behind acres of silk and cups of powder and smiles that never, no matter how hard you try, reach your eyes?” 14 likes