Start by marking “Penric’s Mission (Penric and Desdemona, #3)” as Want to Read:
Penric’s Mission (Penric and Desdemona, #3)

Penric’s Mission

(Penric and Desdemona (Publication order) #3)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  2,403 Ratings  ·  251 Reviews
In his thirtieth year, Penric fell in love with light…

Learned Penric, a sorcerer and divine of the Bastard’s Order, travels across the sea to sunlit Cedonia on his first covert diplomatic mission, to attempt to secure the services of a disaffected Cedonian general for the Duke of Adria. However, nothing is as it seems: Penric is betrayed and thrown into a dungeon, and wors
Published November 2nd 2016 by Spectrum Literary Agency, Inc

Bradley
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
These Penric novels are getting very good. Bastard be praised. :)

We've seen Penric grow as a person and a cleric/sorcerer and now he has eleven years of Desdemona inside his flesh. I love how he's struck off on his own (for very persuasive reasons) doing spywork for a Duke.

So of course, it perfectly follows that this should be a tight and fun novella about magically healing a soldier's wounds and beginning a romance with the soldier's sister. I can see it! :) Plus it gets rather exciting but not
Gavin
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Penric's Mission is the third book in Bujold's Penric & Desdemona novella series, which is set in the same world as her World of the Five Gods books, from a publication standpoint but the fourth book from a chronological standpoint. I chose to read it as the third book as you can never go wrong going with the publication order. It always helps to avoid spoilers!

This was an excellent instalment of the series. Penric's Demon was great but Penric's Shaman was a bit less inspiring by comparison
Ben Aaronovitch
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf-f
My only problem with these novellas is their length - way way too short.
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/01/11/...

Bujold returns to her World of the Five Gods with another novella featuring Penric, a sorcerer of the Bastards’s Order, and Desdemona, the ancient and powerful demon riding in his head. We once again jump ahead in time, accompanying an older and mellower Penric as he travels across the sea to the nation of Cedonia where he will attempt to carry out a secret mission on behalf of his employer, the Duke of Adria.

But despite t
Roslyn
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bujold does something quite unusual in the World of the Five Gods series. Few genre writers portray religion, either in our world or in an invented one, as anything other than something either to be admired and pushed onto readers, or else to be reviled. But Bujold weaves the religious/spiritual impulse into her characters' lives and into her created worlds completely seriously as something both understandable and meaningful. What's special here is not just that gods are real (lots of writers do ...more
Nicole
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I require additional Penric novellas.
Olga Godim
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
I like Penric, the sorcerer carrying his demon Desdemona inside himself. I like Desdemona too, have been in love with her since the first Penric novella. I like the other characters of this tale as well, and their harrying adventures were totally engrossing. As always, Bujold has written a superb story, where the narrative flows and the suspense doesn’t let on for longer than a few pages, BUT...
It is not complete. It doesn’t have an ending. The last confrontation in the story is not a resolution
Emily
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this one. Possibly my favorite book from the "Five Gods" world (I also really liked the 2nd Chalion book). This novella was everything I've wanted int he previous Penric books but never really got. There's really interesting characters, an exciting plot, a bit of romance and we get to see Pen and Des using their magic. This one was action packed and kept me up until 1:30am turning pages - it was reminiscent of some of the Vorkosigan books. I was reminded again why I love Bujold so much.

I
Tracy
Another heartily enjoyable novella by Bujold. A bit more adventurous in this instance than the previous story of Penric and Desdemona. More Desdemona too which is always fun.
Andreas
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, fantasy
Learned Penric has been living together with his embedded Demon Desdemona since more than ten years in the World of Five Gods. They are an established team, know how to work with each other, having survived several adventures - as described in "Penric's Demon" or "Penric and the Shaman" - and probably don't expect many surprises.

This time, Penric travels undercover on behalf of the Duke of Adria to the mediterranean country Cedonia in order to win over famous general Arisaydia. As a personal mis
Jacob Proffitt
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is part of a series and I recommend reading them in an order. I'm reading them in chronological (rather than publication) order and that has been working out very well, I think.

This one breaks from the pattern of the others a bit. I've felt like the previous stories were more aligned with cozy mysteries than anything else with maybe a spike of action at the end. This one starts with action and never really lets up making it an awesome adventure story. And since Bujold is just that good, she
Kevin
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great story from one of my all-time favorite authors.
OhWell
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fast paced, highly entertaining, and with plenty of Penric & Desdemona moments. My favourite novella so far!
T. K. Elliott (Tiffany)
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
This was written by Lois McMaster Bujold. To a great extent, this is all you need to know.

Penric and Desdemona are back - Penric is thirty now, and has been dispatched on a secret mission by the Duke of Adria. If everything went right, it wouldn't be much of a story - and things go wrong almost immediately. But how? And why?

In this story, we get more information about how demon magic works, the advantages, the perils and the pitfalls, and a few tantalising hints about what Penric and Desdemona h
Marlene
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Reading Reality

This third novella in Bujold’s Penric and Desdemona series, itself a spinoff of her World of the Five Gods series (A.K.A. Chalion) is just as much fun as the first two books, Penric's Demon and Penric and the Shaman. If you are looking for a a deft fantasy that comes in a smaller than a doorstop package, Penric is a fascinating hero and this series is terrific.

Penric is actually Learned Penric, a sorcerer and divine of the Lord Bastard, the “master of all d
katayoun Masoodi
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, fantasy, favorites
i loved this, except that this time it really felt like this is a section of a lovely book, i want all the penric happenings before he deciding on this mission and all the story that is left unfinished. i like that i get glimpses and i can think about the story, but i really want the story told by bujold and wishing for it.
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novellas
2nd read: This is probably my favorite Penric novella!
Yashima
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC. Also posted on my blog: delusions.de

Penric and his interactions with the demon Desdemona, who is sharing his mind, have fascinated me from the first novella I read, and their interaction & cooparation are once more at the center of this one.

"I'm not talking to myself." Just to the voices in my head. All ten of them. Not, he knew from long experience, a useful thing to mention.

Their story takes place in Bujold’s „Five Gods“ universe and the protagonist Penric
Stephanie
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This third Penric novella was my favorite so far. Telling the story of Penric's first spying mission (which goes terribly wrong), it's a much faster-paced, action-y story than either of the first two novellas in the series, and far more tense and exciting (and even scary) than I'd expected after the first two - but the characters (both new and old) are just as wonderful as always, and I adored the romantic subplot, too. (HOORAY for Penric meeting just the right woman for him AND for his body-sha ...more
ShoSho
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, audio, x-2017, own
Penric is one of the best character I have ever read about !
Lis Carey
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks, f-sf, fiction
Penric has been through some big changes since the events in Penric's Fox. His studies with the shamans in Easthome completed, he returned to Martensbridge, where his medical abilities became greatly in demand. Very greatly in demand--and only for the most serious cases. The Princess-Archdivine Llewen has died, and so has his mother. In the end, it was too much loss, and he moved to Adria, first to serve the White God's archdivine there, and then to serve the Duke.

And the Duke has sent him to Ce
Sidsel Pedersen
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good addition to the series

Another fine story in the series. I like fantasy full of political games. The demon continues to be a high light. Please not that this is the first half of a story, and that novella number four seem to be set right after, unlike the first 3 novellas that is set quite a number of years apparat.
Wm
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The way the plot, set pieces/action, characterization, dialogue, magic use, tragedy, comedy, use of religion, use of politics, use of food all fire at full throttle is astounding. These may seem like slight novellas, but they're sneaky amazing and devastating. Bujold deploying all of her powers.
MrsJoseph
Honestly, while the writing is amazing and I still love Penric, I wasn't a fan of this particular novella. But my love for Penric has encouraged me to continue reading.
Scott Marlowe
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rating

Review

*** This review originally appeared on Out of this World Reviews. ***

Penric’s Mission by Lois McMaster Bujold takes the Penric and Desdemona series of novellas to a new level in terms of story complexity, character development, and reader engagement. Where the previous three installments were serviceable enough stories, fun to read, and moved things along in terms of Penric’s progression as a sorcerer, Penric’s Mission allows the character to grow in entirely new ways. Not only does
Diane
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
As soon as I saw the announcement of this novella (c. 150 pages)'s release from LMB's fan-run Facebook echo page, I went and grabbed it up. As you can see, this is how I spent my Saturday morning. I LOVE Penric and Desdemona!

Penric is gaining maturity through experience both beneficial and painful. I quite like the new character Nikys, and how she comes to know Desdemona, too, while still being a bit bemused.

My only complaint is about the ending, which came sooner and more abruptly/ unresolvedly
John
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Penric tries his hand at international intrigue and ends up imprisoned, then on the run while trying to heal a man whose eyes have been boiled out. Yowza. Typically excellent.

Favorite line: “Desdemona couldn’t lick her lips, but she could lick his.”
Titus Fortner
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite Penric installment. The story is well crafted and interesting and the characters, in typical Bujold fashion, are complex and fun.
Elizabeth
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Penric has become Miles Vorkosigan. Or vice versa.
Bart
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
***Actual rating: 4,00***
Real-life correspondences? 1 11 Nov 17, 2016 12:50PM
Lois McMaster Bujold was born in 1949, the daughter of an engineering professor at Ohio State University, from whom she picked up her early interest in science fiction. She now lives in Minneapolis, and has two grown children.

Her fantasy from HarperCollins includes the award-winning Chalion series and the Sharing Knife tetralogy; her science fiction from Baen Books features the perennially bestse

Penric and Desdemona (Publication order) (6 books)
  • Penric's Demon (Penric and Desdemona, #1)
  • Penric and the Shaman (Penric and Desdemona, #2)
  • Mira's Last Dance (Penric and Desdemona, #4)
  • Penric's Fox (Penric and Desdemona, #5)
  • The Prisoner of Limnos (Penric and Desdemona, #6)
“You're worse than evil. You're inefficient.” 7 likes