Start by marking “Adventurous Proposal” as Want to Read:
Adventurous Proposal

Adventurous Proposal

(One Month Til I Do #1)

After a string of bad dates, Florence Gray is so over online dating. So much so, that if she has to survive another guy standing her up she might just do something crazy ... like accept the first proposal she gets.

So when she finds herself alone in the bar, again, Florence can hardly believe her eyes-or ears-when Hugh Humphreys swoops in and presents her with a proposal s
188 pages
Published November 14th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Adventurous Proposal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adventurous Proposal

Start your review of Adventurous Proposal
Natasha Preston
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh, this was exactly what I needed to read. Funny, cute, and Christmassy. I love Flo’s spark and Hugh is a hottie. I want to get married on Christmas Day!
Jacqueline
2.5

I don't know why I keep trying to read chick lit style books, they usually irritate me. I'm just such a miserable madam.

I really had to suspend disbelief over and over again reading this, so much so that it made what should've been an undemanding read into a teeth grinding exercise in irritation management. Put it down to the time I had to rearrange a Christmas do at short notice. Everywhere was already booked, even crap places were overpriced and suppliers were not working to their usual sch
Brina (Brina and the Books)
4 Stars

Adventurous Proposal is only the second book I've read by Laura Barnard but it was so much fun! Florence and Hugh were both great and fun characters and I loved to get to know them.

Hugh and Florence meet in a bar on December 2nd, both stood up by their dates. They start talking and soon realize how much they like the other. Instead of asking for a second date, Hugh proposes to Florence who says yes to this crazy idea. They have a lot to plan since the wedding is scheduled for Christmas Da
Rachel Gilbey
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a whirlwind of a book, with arguably completely bonkers main characters, but at the same time, the whole story has a whole grand romantic charm to it, and had me smiling throughout.

Well let's face it most not bharmy people don't meet in a pub, and decide later that night not only that they should get married, but to have the wedding in 25 days time on Christmas Day. Well this is what Florence and Hugh do. They barely know each other first names, but suddenly they are thrown into frenzy of
DJ Sakata
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
My Rating:

4.5

Favorite Quotes:

Because a man ages like a fine wine, he just gets better. A woman is like a loaf of bread – we just start going off.

She leans in to kiss me on the cheek, her scent invading my nostrils. So, this is what pure evil smells like.

She throws back her head in a totally ridiculous over the top posh laugh. Imagine a horse having a panic attack, and you’re almost there.

As long as you don’t sit on Santa’s knee and start professing that you’re a ho ho ho.

She narrows her eyes at
Siobhan
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having read and enjoyed Laura Barnard’s Babes of Brighton books, I knew I needed more of her work. Thus, I was more than happy to jump into the One Month Til I Do books. Like my other Laura Barnard reads, Adventurous Proposal was a fun quick read that will leave you wanting more.

I’ll be honest, this is one of those books where you need to suspend your belief. When you read the premise, you will do one of two things – roll your eyes at the silliness or be sucked in by the potential. If you find y
Karen Andrew
Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Florence is sick of meeting Mr Wrong online and on this particular night she is annoyed... she has been stood up. Just as she is about to leave, she meets Hugh and the pair get chatting. They get on so well and are soon being ushered out the bar at closing time.

The following morning Florence is woken up, Hugh has brought coffee. He has a question, a proposal if you will. He wants to get married. To Florence. In 3 weeks time - crazy right? The crazy bit is that Florence agrees.

Hugh comes from mon
Ptiteaurel
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As you can see right now, I'm reading a lot of Christmas romances and when I saw that Laura Barnard was looking for bloggers to read her novella in ARC, I asked her if I could. I didn't regret it at any moment because I had a great time reading it. If you are looking for a gentle, funny and enjoyable reading, Adventurous Proposal is theperfect reading for you.

Florence Gray is a young 30-year-old woman who no longer stands dating on online websites. Once again, she was stood up and she found hers
Monique
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a sweet, quick fun read - here is the book for you.
Laura Barnard is a favourite author of mine and I was excited when I stumbled across this book.

Florence has had a few dud dates recently, because she has been stood up a few times. She is just about to give up on another no show and head on home when Hugh starts up a conversation over their mutual dating woes. They share the evening together and Hugh enlightens her on a theory he has on relationships. He walks her home b
A Book Lover's Emporium Book Blog
I love a Christmas Romance, and this is a beautiful Christmas Romance. It grabbed me from page one and I couldn't put it down. A short read, just perfect to put you in the Christmas mood.
It has all the good vibes, along with a gorgeous man, who is everything you could want, sexy, kind, funny and loving. The heroine, who doubts herself but has gumption and determination. The best friends, the awful families, the snow, the romance, the laughter and great sex! What more could you want?
After meeting
Linda Barrett
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever read something so sweet it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside? Well this is how Adventurous Proposal made me feel today.
It totally wraps you up in a warm fluffy blanket and makes you want to watch old christmas movies.
I absolutely loved this book and I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to fall in love with the perfect leading lady and gentleman.
Flo Gray and Hugh Humphrey were made for each other.He's her soulmate who just happened to get stood up on the same night
Felicia
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adventurous Proposal by Laura Barnard is a romantic comedy that I listened to on audio narrated by Karena Gregory.

This is the second book of Laura’s that I have read and it definitely won’t be my last. She does an amazing job with these rom-coms. I absolutely loved Florence and Hugh!

Karena did a great job on the narration. I look forward to listening to more of her work in the future. The only thing I noticed was the sound quality was a bit off on this book which could be a bit distracting.

I
Kelly  O'Connor
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My heart is so full of love for this book, it's like a big blanket; it made me feel so warm, cozy, loved up and a little sexy - what more could you want from a Christmas read ?
I need to thank Andie M Long for writing the review that lead to me reading this book I'm in your debt as I may never have read this without your glowing review.
I managed a few firsts with this book; it's my first book by this author and it's the first time I've been so engrossed in a book that I actually walked to walk
Ann (Literary Lust)
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh this is a must read!! Once you've started you won't want to put it down and a perfect read around Christmas time (though you'd enjoy it any time of the year). It's a light, funny and well, just lovely romance story. Trust me and read it for yourself :-) ...more
Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
Dec 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
I hated this book. I wanted some mindless fluff around the holiday season and this just missed the mark. Lifetime-movie-esque it was not. It had annoying and disgusting characters (including a bigoted mother-in-law and a shallow MC) and ridiculous comments such as “For a lesbian, she sure gets offended easily” and “Her face drops. Ha, that shut her up. Yeah, bitch. I’ve got your man, and he’s not going anywhere. God, when did I get so ghetto?” . What is that trash, seriously.

Also, the MCs are
Lady Living  In Bookland
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Florence and Hugh meet when tinder dates fail for both of them and serendipity sees the pair thrown together in a rather whirlwind proposal.

But between the lesbian mother, the stupid ex, the alcohol, the mega fail dress shopping experiences, there really isn't a chapter you won't find something to giggle about.

A truly funny, cute and festive story that for me encapsulates what Christmas (and love is all about); having those we love around us, for better or for worse ;)

If you like your Christm
Jean
I’ll be honest- I read this one because the title was cute and it was free from Amazon. I’m not much for love-at-first-sight stories, though, so maybe I should have known better.

I think it might make a good Hallmark Christmas movie, but as a novel everything read as soooo contrived. Even with the premise of “couple meets and immediately decides to get married in 23 days!”

The mom was basically a plot device, while the ex was pretty much a cartoon villain. The number of SERIOUS RED FLAGS that were
Cassidy
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed listening to this one. I liked that it was set in England. An English narrator always makes my ears happy. The romance, the friendship, and the humor made it a great read. I like that Christmas is interwoven in the story, but not overwhelming.
Kat
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5

Review to follow.
Carly Wilson
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laura Barnard is one of my favourite romance writers. Her stories are of very down to Earth characters who you instantly feel acquainted with as if they were your friends. This book was no exception, and I was instantly hooked, reading it all in one sitting.

The book is about Florence, a thirty something singleton who finds herself stood up on a tinder date. She feels humiliated and is determined to play down her embarrassment, especially when a dashingly handsome man at the bar calls her out. Th
Erin Lewis
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Star review of Adventurous Proposal (One Month Till I Do #1) by Laura Barnard

Audio Review:

Having read or listened to several books by Laura Barnard I was interested to listen to Adventurous Proposal narrated by Karena Gregory who is a new narrator to me.

Florence (Flo) Gray has had enough of disastrous on-line dating and decides to do something rash.

Being stood up yet again is the final straw, although it does give her the opportunity to meet Hugh Humphreys. When he presents her with an outrag
ItaPixie
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, freebie

I have really enjoyed this quick nice story.

The title and cover have immediately caught my attention,the entertaining plot and the flowing writing made it hard to put it down.

The main characters,Hugh and Florence,are lovable and cute and you cannot not to support their weird plan even if it is a little bit crazy.
The supporting characters add so much fun to the story.

I particularly loved the ending...the last sentence put an indelible smile on my face.

"...when it comes down to it being in lov

A.J. Love
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*** REVIEW ***

Adventurous Proposal by Laura Barnard

Five stars ✨

Laura Barnard, I fucking adore you.
I never thought I'd EVER find a book I loved more than Tequila and Teabags (my first LB experience), but by God she's done it.
I literally inhaled this within hours. It was hilarious, and perfect, and everything you want in a chick lit story.
Hugh and Flo are the absolute best. Also, I think I'm 100% in love with Hugh's Grandma. 💕

Cannot wait to read the next!
Paula Bothwell
Adventurous Proposal - R
Violence: none
Language: fewer than 70, including deity and around 20 fbombs. Super crude language
Sex: descriptive kissing. Sex. Yes, definitely.

Cute story, loads of promise: strangers meet, get along, decide to marry. Not sure if it's a British thing, but they throw the fbomb around like it's a conjunction.

Deleted for content.
Jessica Capps
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Audiobook review

This book is about an unexpected, impromptu, whirlwind relationship between 2 people who have been having a hard time finding love. At 30 years old, Florence is desperate to find "the one" so that she doesn't miss out on kids, love, happiness - but all of her online dating experiences have been either lackluster or complete no-shows. On one of these no-shows, a rando at the place starts chatting her up, pointing out her no-show disaster. Their conversation leads down some funny p
Grass monster
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, how cute is the cover for Adventurous Proposal!. Im maybe a little biased as purple is my favorite colour, and it also has a catchy title.
This story has a totally different concept from anything I have read before and I wasnt too sure if it was going to work, but boy it had me hooked.
Meet Florence Gray, Flo is in her early 30s and has had enough of internet dating, after yet again being stood up on one too many dates, she is left sitting in a bar alone, that is until she meets Hugh Hump
Rosali Penunuri
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary Dean
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fun book! This is a let's take a chance romance. Florence and Hugh meet after being stood up by their online dating dates. They hit it off and agree to see each other again. Florence didn't expect it to be hours later at 3 am. Hugh comes up with an proposal that they get married. They have good chemistry and hit it off right away and they can spend the rest of their lives getting to know each other. It's a crazy idea but Florence goes for it. As they plan their wedding, that will be in a ...more
Nov 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
🎄 When it comes down to it being in love isn’t about listing someone’s hobbies or having loads in common. It’s about the feeling you get when you look at them, the feeling of coming home 🎄
This was the first book that I’ve ever read from Laura Barnard and it was such a fun read. I really enjoyed reading about Florence and Hugh, getting to know their fun quirky characters.
Hugh & Florence first met in a bar on the 2nd December after both of their dates stood them up. They soon start talking and
Jo-Anne
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I love the idea of this fun romance. After both Flo and Hugh have been stood up yet again, they start talking to each other in the bar. They get along so well that Hugh proposes later that night. BUT, even more shocking is that he wants to get married Christmas day. That's only 25 days! Amazingly, Flo accepted.

They have a lot to do in a short time if they want to pull off this wedding. Lucky for them, they have great friends. Even though everyone thought this couple were off their rockers, they
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• 'Twas the Kiss Before Christmas (Christmas Mountain Clean Romance Series Book 4)
  • Neighbors Like That (A Love Like This, #1)
  • Better Date than Never Boxed Set: Books 1-6 (Better Date than Never, #1-6)
  • Ready for Whatever (The UnBRCAble Women Series Book 1)
  • Love to Prove You Wrong (Old Pine Cove, #2)
  • Merrily Ever After (Second Chance Fairy Tale Book 1)
  • Thursdays at Coconuts (Coconuts #1)
  • Christmas Gifts Collection
  • Maple Sugar Crush (An Autumnboro Sweet Romance #2)
  • 10 Dates (The Power of Ten, #1)
  • A Lindstrom Christmas: Two Small-Town Holiday Romances (The Lindstroms, #1-2)
  • Writing Mr. Right
  • Snowed In (Christmas With A Billionaire Novella Collection)
  • Best Foot Forward (Liberty Lawrence #1)
  • Shaking the Sleigh (Singletree #3)
  • Kitty Valentine Dates a Billionaire
  • The Tycoon’s Pregnant Lover (European Tycoon #1)
  • With This Click, I Thee Wed (ClickandWed.com #1)
Amazon Bestselling Author Laura Barnard writes British quirky laugh out loud romantic comedy.

She lives in Hertfordshire, UK, with her husband and daughter.

In her spare time she enjoys drinking her body weight in tea, cuddling dogs, matchmaking her friends (very successfully), binging True Crime, indulging in the power nap and reading past her bedtime.

www.laurabarnardbooks.co.uk

One Month Til I Do (2 books)
  • Marrying Mr Valentine (One Month Til I Do, #2)

News & Interviews

“Darling, the wedding is only a day. The marriage is for life. That’s where the investment should be placed.” 0 likes