Start by marking “The Premonition” as Want to Read:
The Premonition

The Premonition

(Sleepwalker 0.5)

This mesmerizing ebook original short story—a prequel to The Sleepwalker—from Chris Bohjalian, bestselling author of The Sandcastle Girls and The Guest Room, tells the tale of one strange summer when a pair of horses die, an odd boy moves to a small Vermont town, and a woman rises from her bed and disappears into the night.

Lianna Ahlberg is seventeen when a thunderstorm snaps a power lin
Published November 29th 2016 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about The Premonition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Premonition

Start your review of The Premonition
Cheri
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book, 2017

This is the short prequel to Chris Bohjalian's The Sleepwalker. I enjoyed this, but am left wondering how it compares to The Sleepwalker - which is a full novel, and is getting so many less-than-wonderful reviews.

The young girl in this novel, seventeen, has a premonition of an event that will have an impact on her relatively small town, and specifically on one family. The same young girl is the daughter of a sleepwalker. When her mother goes sleepwalking twice one summer when the husband is away on business. The firs
Wendy
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4000-books, apr-17
This short prequel is a wonderful introduction to Chris Bohjalian's "The Sleepwalker".
Quick, creepy and leaves you wanting more!
Sheila
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2017
2 stars--it was OK.

I read this because I really enjoyed The Sleepwalker, and it was nice to visit Lianna again (a character I was fond of in that book). However, I don't think this added anything at all to the novel or its characters, and generally seemed unnecessary.
☕️Kimberly
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shrouded in foreshadowing and laced with supernatural elements this tale introduces us to sleepwalking and premonitions. This is classic Bohjalian, and I cannot wait to crack open Sleepwalker.

Bohjalian gives us glimpses into the life of a young girl who experiences a premonition before a bizarre electrical accident, a mother who does strange things while sleepwalking and an odd little boy who obsesses over medieval times. The author delights in sharing these prequels with us, and I find they we
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Can't wait to dive into The Sleepwalker now!
Susan Crowe
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! Now I can't wait for the book!!
Michelle
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Some great background for those who've read The Sleepwalker or a nice intro to that book. Quick and enjoyable read.
CD {Boulder Blvd}
This is the prequel to Sleepwalker and as I was planning on reading Sleepwalker, I opted to read this first. It's in 1st POV of the daughter of the Sleepwalker. At this point in time she's 17 which may explain why this felt rambling and pointless. I was bored with all the content and it took 5 days just to get through this. I kept putting it down. Shouldn't prequels have a point? Shouldn't they make you want to read the actual book? Now I'm wondering if I want to read Sleepwalker after all.
Stephanie
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
I picked up this read because I loved Bohjalian's book The Guest Room. After finishing this prequel to The Sleepwalker, I felt curious as to how it will fall in line with the following book. The short story is left extremely open ended, I'm unsure of what significance this will have on The Sleepwalker, but I'm very curious to find out. I wouldn't say this vague beginning has gotten me hooked, but if this story is anything close to how suspenseful and well written The Guest Room was, then I'm sup ...more
Sue
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a prequel to Chris's new novel The Sleepwalker due in January. It gives some background to the soon to be released novel and makes you rush to Amazon to pre-order the novel. I read the novel first and then the short story. Even though I knew what was going to happen, I was still entranced by the author's ability to foreshadow his novel just enough but not too much. It introduced the characters and the main premise of the story and told about one incident, that happened several years befo ...more
Donna
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the very short prequel to the novel The Sleepwalker by Chris Bohjalian. I read this novella and the novel on the same day, so it is hard to not compare them. I liked this short novella better than the the full length book that followed. This was intriguing and it was a nice little set up for the coming novel. It left me eager to start The Sleepwalker. So 4 stars because I think this accomplished its intended purpose.
Jamie
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oooooo, tantalizing! I specifically waited to read this short story prequel to Bohjalian's new book, The Sleepwalker, until it was out because I knew it would leave me in agony waiting for the rest of the story. I typically steer clear of books that are haunting or eerie, mostly because I read at night, and being the empathic person that I am (it's a blessing and a curse), I would never sleep. However, Bohjalian is just unavoidable for me. I love his words, his style, his astonishing endings. I ...more
Jan
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great short prequel to The Sleepwalker. Actually I would call it more a teaser than a prequel, because as soon as I finished reading it I wanted to get my hands on The Sleepwalker right away. Hopefully I will soon.
Mel Raschke
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Always a good read. This is one of my favorite authors
Cathy
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, epub, 2017
Since I'll be reading The Sleepwalker for one of my book clubs & I discovered this book is the prequel (Anybody who knows me knows I'm a sucker for series & MUST read them in order.), I read this first. Very short & good background for The Sleepwalker. Told from the point of view of a 17-year-old girl, so a bit angst-filled, but I'm glad I read it.
Linda
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 as I'm hooked, totally hooked, and can't wait to finish the story that continues in "The Sleepwalker." I can't remember ever reading a short (79 pages) prequel like this before.
Patricia Doyle
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Premonition is a 44-page prequel to The Sleepwalker that leaves me really looking forward to reading that next book.

It begins with the story of 17-year-old Lianna and the peculiar happenings in her life, including the strange activities – she calls them quirky – of her sleepwalking mother.

The last page aptly sets the stage for the next book. It’s good, it’s very good!

Rae Davies
Jul 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unable-to-finish
No. No way do I have time to listen to this story - however it short it may be - drone on and on. The narrator cannot even be blamed for it, though she sounded too "forced".

I listened to this intentionally before listening to The Sleepwalker, since it's a prequel. I'm highly debating on listening to that at all now. If it is anything like the prequel, I will fall asleep at my desk.
Patricia Carson
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great intro to a new novel

I enjoyed this prequel and look forward to the novel, from one of my favorite authors. The air of emotional instability and menace sets the scene for explosion and loss, just as the opening lightning strike kills two horses, right in front of a teenage girl.
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
On a rainy evening in rural Vermont, a teenager thinks she has a PREMONITION before lightning kills two horses at a nearby farm. At home, her mother does bizarre things while sleepwalking. Nearby, an odd boy obsesses about medieval times.

This prequel to to Chris Bohjalian's upcoming novel THE SLEEPWALKER piqued my interest with interesting characters and flawless writing.
Kate
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books
This is a short prequel which whet my appetite for Chris Bohjalian's nest novel, The Sleepwalker. The characters were well-developed for a short work, and as always, the writing pulls you in quickly. I can't wait to read the novel!
Gerry
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Whetting my appetite for Chris's newest novel, The Sleepwalker, which is coming out in January! Great story, left me eager for more.
Lisa Wolf
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This brief story makes me so excited to read The Sleepwalker!
Kim
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If this short story was written to get me excited for "The Sleepwalker," mission accomplished!
Kathy (ebookkat)
I accidentally found “The Premonition” by Chris Bohjalian while searching the library for “The Sleepwalker” which was written by the same author. I need to read “The Sleepwalker” for a bookclub I belong to. I discovered that “The Premonition” is a short story prequel to “The Sleepwalker. It was published before “The Sleepwalker”, so I decided to read it first. I am writing this review having finished reading “The Premonition”, but not having read “The Sleepwalker” yet. I don’t know if it is impo ...more
Karalee Coleman
Every time I see one of Mr. Bohjalian's books on a list I think, "Oh, I should read that." I don't know why - someone must have praised him to me at some point, because I don't remember any prior personal experience of his work. Anyway, I finally decided to bite the bullet. The Sleepwalker has good reviews, and this short story is a prequel to it, so it seemed like a good place to start. Well, it was! Good writing, good characterization, and some interesting problems for the YA narrator to deal with. So I' ...more
Cathryn Conroy
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you plan to read "The Sleepwalker," I highly recommend this Kindle Single. The prequel to Chris Bohjalian's spooky thriller about a woman who sleepwalks and vanishes one night is worthwhile for one important reason: It offers a wonderful insight into the characters before the events of "The Sleepwalker"--an insight that I found was important to fully appreciating the novel.
Marilyn
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This short piece is a prequel to The Sleepwalker, in which a mother of two girls experiences rare but bizarre sleepwalking episodes. This book one gives background and takes us through the third episode. In this prequel, Bohjalian truly sells the desire to read the rest of the story. Yup, I'm hooked.
Carol
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A short prequel to The Sleepwalker, which I had just finished. I think I preferred reading it this way, after reading the novel. It filled in some blanks and let me experience some occurrences firsthand that were only recalled in the novel. A nice way to spend a little bit more time with characters I grew to know in The Sleepwalker.
Deborah Rose
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bohjalian at his best.

I'm generally stingy with five star reviews. I was late to the party that is Chris Bohjalian's body of literary craftsmanship. This short story sets the stage for a gripping and well told story. I finished it 20 minutes, went to Overdrive, and immediately checked out The Sleepwalker...which I'm starting now.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Frozen
  • "miss Pell Would Never Misspell" and Other Painless Tricks for Memorizing How to Spell and Use Wily Words
  • Iris Origo: Marchesa of Val d'Orcia
  • Gweilo: Memories Of A Hong Kong Childhood
  • The Discovery of Dragons
  • Evergreen
  • Remembering Shanghai: A Memoir of Socialites, Scholars and Scoundrels
  • Peach Blossom Pavillion
  • Halfway Home: Drawing My Way Through Japan
  • Form of a Question
  • Last Boat Out of Shanghai: The Epic Story of the Chinese Who Fled Mao's Revolution
  • Red Azalea
  • The Girls She Left Behind (Lizzie Snow, #2)
  • Unnatural Causes (Dr. Katie LeClair, #1)
  • I Know You Know
  • A Hidden Secret (Kate Burkholder, #6.5)
  • Cat and Jemima J
Follow Chris Bohjalian on Goodreads to see what's on the nightstand!

Chris Bohjalian is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of 20 books. His work has been translated into 35 languages and three times become movies.

His most recent novel, “The Flight Attendant,” debuted as a New York Times, USA Today, Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and National Indiebound Bestsel

Sleepwalker (1 books)