Start by marking “I Got This: To Gold and Beyond” as Want to Read:
I Got This: To Gold and Beyond

I Got This: To Gold and Beyond

New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today Bestseller!

Gold medal-winning Olympic gymnast and Dancing with the Stars champion Laurie Hernandez shares her story in her own words in this debut book for fans of all ageswith never-before-seen photos!

At sixteen years old, Laurie Hernandez has already made many of her dreams come trueand yet its only the beginning for
Published January 24th 2017 by HarperCollins

Start your review of I Got This: To Gold and Beyond
Kireja
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, nonfiction, sports
Laurie's personality definitely comes through in her book; there was a lot of warmth, bubbliness, positivity and enthusiasm in her storytelling. I enjoyed reading about her experiences at Rio and on DWTS. Overall, a quick and fun read.
Hannah
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A possible theme for this book is if you can dream it, you can do it! When Laurie was young, she saw a gymnast on TV and wanted to do it. Later, she met the requirements to be a gymnast, and she really wanted to go. Laurie really wanted to win a medal, and she ended up winning a gold medal!
Aryssa
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Probably the worst "gymnast memoir" I've read from the USA gymnasts. Vapid, poorly written, and she didn't even narrate the audiobook. "I was sooo scared" "They were sooo tall." "I had to trust myself." Nothing really interesting at all, but at least it was chronological...
Denise Hershberger
I would recommend this book to a young person but it really was geared toward a teenager or possibly college age person not an adult.

That being said, considering she was probably still 16 when she wrote this it was pretty good. I liked hearing some of the behind the scenes of her career. I also appreciated all the hard work she put into her career as she overcame multiple injuries but kept working out the muscles she could while she was laid up.

I think this book could be a great inspiration to
Brenna
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am a gymnast. I can do it. I got this.
Faith M:)
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loovveee this book! Got it for Christmas and am so glad I did:) I 100% LOVE the Olympics and Laurie Hernandez is my most FAVORITE gymnast!!! I felt like I was having a personal chat with Laurie while reading this book😁😁😁

I was practically glowing while reading about the Olympic village❤❤❤ and her experiences with the Final Five, as well as Dancing with the stars and her travels around the globe.

I will be reading this TONS.

Laurie- Youve got this!!!!!
Sofie Hook
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was another one of those fabulous autobiography of olympic gymnasts! I've always loved Laurie and it's crazy how young she is for how amazing she is!
Rosemarie
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographies
I love Laurie Hernandez and was so delighted to find this book. She is from Old Bridge, NJ, a town that I know very well because my parents lived there for many years. So, I cheered for her all through the Olympics and later on Dancing with the Stars.

I've been a fan of gymnastics for years as well and was excited to read some behind the scenes stuff about the sport. Laurie explains the process of how you move up in the sport - something that I had always wondered about. She writes just like she
Hannah (FreeInFiction)
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So I finished this book in one sitting and I LOVED IT. Laurie's personality was so prominent throughout the pages, which made the read all the more fantastic. She is so bubbly, positive, and just all around amazing! Laurie inspired me so much throughout her story and is definitely a role model to so many boys and girls all over the world. After reading this, I feel so empowered to get out and do something! Follow my dreams, pursue what I love, and be humble.

Also, I did not realize how young she
Sheri S.
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a juvenile biography, I thought this was a great book with an encouraging message for young readers. Hernandez praises the value of hard work, setting goals and maintaining positive relationships with friends and family. She writes about her gymnastics journey (culminating with her time in the Olympics and then traveling the country on a gymnastics tour) and time on the show, Dancing with the Stars. She also talks about her Puerto Rican heritage and encourages girls from a Latin American ...more
Riley Donovan
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favorite part of this book was right after Laurie had her big knee surgery when she started stretching and lightly conditioning, I thought that it really went along with the theme of the book which is if you don't work for something, you will never reach your goals. Laurie's big goal was to go the the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics and that's what she did, but she did it with 11 long years of training, in the gym most of the day, 6 days a week, and being homeschooled.
Ella
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and recommend it to anyone who loves sports and gymnastics(or anyone in general). I love how she told her journey of gymnastics, and that she achieved her goals the Olympics and Dancing with the stars. In general this is an amazing book!
Cindy
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyable. Not to preachy or trying to send messages to the reader. Filled with lots of personality. Loved it.
Maren
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think that this book was really good. It was positive and exciting, and it showed how you can overcome anything.
Christine Heng
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We absolutely loved this book. Perfect to read to my kid and she was able to help read some of it too. It was just as fun to read as Laurie is to watch.
Karol
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
The take away from I Got This is "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams!"
Henry David Thoreau
Includes "possibility pages", Laurie's Official Records and Glossary of Gymnastics Terms.
Susan Bazzett-Griffith
Jul 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Once I started this book, it became clear that it was geared towards children, which I suppose makes sense when the author is 16. That said, after really liking Simone Biles' memoir earlier this year, comparatively, Laurie Hernandez' book was really bad. Like there were 15 pages at the end that were literally blank pages where she says to "write your story". Now, I understand that even an Olympian who is only a teenager may not be able to fill a whopping 240 pages with life story, but beyond ...more
Brianna:)
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This was good, but Laurie is not a writer, so it was very basic. I wish she would have explained things better because I am not a gymnast. I only knew some of the terms thanks to my eleven year old sister's gymnastics training, but she is a level four so some of the skills that Laurie mentioned I did not recognize. She is such an inspiring young girl though. She was pushed out of her comfort zone and took many risks to become an Olympic athlete. I totally understand Aly's sleep priorities! I ...more
Jo Oehrlein
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, sports
A very happy, positive, and quick read. Laurie faced her hardships (multiple injuries after she made junior elite) with a positive attitude and determination.

There are still several chapters post Olympics, mainly talking about the tour of champions and Dancing with the Stars.

Unlike Simone Biles, Laurie was actually part of TOPS, the USAG talent search, although the way the book is written it seems like her mom researched it more than her coach did. I find it very interesting that her coach had
Jennifer Thompson-Thalasinos
From the moment I saw Laurie Hernandez in last year's Olympics I immediately thought of Mary Lou Retton. Not only does Laurie have a bubbly personality, she also has a deep faith. This book is about how she became an Olympic gold medalist and all the challenges in between. Recommended for all Laurie fans, including the younger fans. This book is written at a level for younger children as well.
Nichole Botello
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I Got This: To Gold and Beyond by Lauren Hernandez.
HarperCollins Childrens Books, HarperCollins New York, 2017.

Absolutely, I enjoyed reading this book! I strongly recommend this to all readers, including both athletes and non-athletes.

A teenager myself, I found this was a fun book to read. I could not stop smiling as I read especially when I discovered the meaning behind each emoji. There are many points I want to share, I will start by quoting from the introduction on page 2; As you read these
Robin
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Since Im interested in other cultures than the WASP culture, of which I am a member, I picked up this book hoping to get insight into how a young woman from the United States with a name like Hernandez came to win gold at the Olympics. The thrust of this book was the personal journey of Laurie Hernandez, which I enjoyed greatly. She said just enough about her family, though, that I was able to learn what I wanted.

I learned that her family is from Puerto Rico. This isnt in the book, but I read
Sarai
This book is about Laurie Hernandez, winner of gold at the Rio Olympics and Dancing with the Stars champion. She talks about her life growing up, her family, her goals, the work she put into gymnastics and dancing, and her life philosophy.

It's a good book and written at her age level, so appropriate for younger kids and middle school students. High school ages and adults might enjoy the book as well, but it is written for the younger audience. Good for school visits!

Book description:
Gold
Mackenzie
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book I Got This by Laurie Hernandez tells the story of her growing up into the athlete she has become today. She mentions her family, the hard training days, the setbacks, all the way to becoming one of the Final Five on the Olympic team.
She is a gold medal Olympic champion and Dancing with the Stars champion. At 16 years old she is not living the typical teenager life. Laurie Hernandez has already accomplished many of her dreams, but that was only the beginning. She talks about how her
Maya
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Priya
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it

I Got This To Gold and Beyond by Laurie Hernandez, is and autobiography based on her life. By the age 16 Hernandez had already became a gold medalist at the 2016 Rio Olympics and the youngest person to win Dancing with the Stars. But all of this success comes with come sacrifices like being home schooled or not being able to go to a party. Hernandez teaches that if you really want something, you have to go for it. After reading the book something that stuck with me is this quote from the novel
Maggie B.
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book because it taught be so much about life and perseverance. I love the way she set up the book and how her writing shows her personality by embracing her nickname the human emoji. The book wasn't bland at all instead it showed emotion and dedication. She doesn't only talk about her Olympic experiences, she talked about her life after that and before that and how it changed her.
You would be surprised about how she wasn't just a normal teenager. She didn't attend prom but put all
Since the advent of Simone Biles, and since all of the revelations of sexual abuse that took place under the umbrella of USAG, I have returned to my childhood habit of being keenly attuned to women's gymnastics in the US. I decided to read this book - apparently all Olympians write books - because unlike a lot of other athlete books, this is a YA or maybe even middle grade nonfiction book. Here, Laurie Hernandez has written a "you can do it!" book sure to motivate younger gymnasts or perhaps ...more
Sue
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Laurie Hernandez was a breath of fresh air at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio. Cute, bubbly, and a bit sassy (winking at a judge before one floor routine), she became known as the Human Emoji. Her book reflects that personality. This is geared toward teenagers so if you're looking for a hardhitting, tell-all, keep moving. She was only sixteen and lived the sheltered life of an elite gymnast. She did have to overcome injuries which led to doubts. This autobiography is filled with positivity and ...more
Bedrooped Bookworms
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Laurie was 16, which is the minimum age of a gymnast at the Olympics. She was an incredibly talented gymnast and Im a little sad she turned 16 the year of the Games. The girl has so much potential and I think shes not going to end up continuing in gymnastics. Even one year later and I think she would have beaten out Gabby for the all around spot in Rio. Not that Gabby wasnt a good gymnast, Laurie was just the baby on the team.

This book was a super light read and a pretty simple recap of her
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Courage to Soar: A Body in Motion, a Life in Balance
  • Grace, Gold, and Glory: My Leap of Faith
  • Fierce: How Competing for Myself Changed Everything
  • Winning Balance: What I've Learned So Far about Love, Faith, and Living Your Dreams
  • The Flip Side
  • Finding My Shine
  • Life Is Short, Don't Wait to Dance: Advice and Inspiration from the UCLA Athletics Hall of Fame Coach of 7 NCAA Championship Teams
  • Taking Flight: From War Orphan to Star Ballerina
  • Off Balance
  • Chalked Up: Inside Elite Gymnastics' Merciless Coaching, Overzealous Parents, Eating Disorders, and Elusive Olympic Dreams
  • Finding the Edge: My Life on the Ice
  • The End of the Perfect 10: The Making and Breaking of Gymnastics' Top Score—from Nadia to Now
  • It's Not About Perfect: Competing for My Country and Fighting for My Life
  • Letters to a Young Gymnast
  • Little Girls in Pretty Boxes: The Making and Breaking of Elite Gymnasts and Figure Skaters
  • 13 and Counting
  • Landing on My Feet: A Diary of Dreams
  • Start by Believing: Larry Nassar's Crimes, the Institutions that Enabled Him, and the Brave Women Who Stopped a Monster