Start by marking “In the Ring (Boxer, #1)” as Want to Read:
In the Ring (Boxer, #1)

In the Ring

(Boxer #1)

The biggest fight of his life isn’t . . . In the Ring.

The bright lights. The roaring crowd. The chance at a championship belt. The not-so-little secret Liam Shaughnessy—the Bonny Bruiser—is fighting to keep tucked far away.

Liam got the pussy pounded out of him on the mean streets of Cin-city—the other Sin City. The oldest in a Catholic clan where his da never pulled a
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 280 pages
Published December 5th 2016 by Rie Warren

To ask other readers questions about In the Ring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Ring

Start your review of In the Ring (Boxer, #1)
~Mindy Lynn~

First half was a struggle for me. But by then I couldn't not finish it. A problem I have. It's that awful book OCD some of us struggle with. But I'm glad I stuck it out because the second half was better. I didn't love the book but I did like it in the end.

The characters are in more of a lust relationship than they are in a loving one. I just didn't feel it dolls. But they had some hot sexy times. ;]

I was really interested in Liam's family dynamic and I wish we would have gotten more of
Bo
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it
CrabbyPatty
A hot and steamy story about a boxer, Liam and his trainer Michael - two gorgeous man hunks with muscles atop muscles and a slow-burning lust for one another. Holy sexual tension!

In the Ring brings it with numerous smokin' sex scenes. But it also gives us a story about a man trapped by his upbringing, trying to achieve success yet believing he cannot come out. Liam fought his way out of a tough childhood and hid his yen for men until Michael comes on board as his trainer and Liam finds himself
⚣Michaelle⚣
3.4 Stars

The whole story just felt like an angry read (with quite a bit of weirdly casual racism & misogyny - which I guess is par for the course in boxing) and given how similar the plot was to other books...well, I've read more emotional versions with more compelling character growth. The sex in this was top-notch, even if half the time I couldn't figure out how they kept getting from one position to the next. *shrug*

I thought Michael's ultimatum was badly timed - even though it worked out for
Melissa
I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I decided to read this story because I wanted to see these two strong and tough men find love with each other. It was beautiful to watch (though at times I wanted to smack both of them because it's obvious to everyone around them there are sparks flying between them) and I found the torture each endured as they danced around each other entertaining.

Liam Shaughnessy is a street fighter who has made his way up to professional box
Bookgasms Book Blog
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: missy
Oh, Rie Warren, once again you have GRABBED hold of my heart and didn’t once let up on your grip until I read the last word of In the Ring. Raw. Gritty. Powerful. Sexy. These are just a few words to describe this book. I was sucked into the world of Liam and Michael very quickly.

Liam Shaughnessy’s fast paced, hard hitting lifestyle is mimicked in his personal life—except he’s hiding from the world who he really is. His career inside the ring has overshadowed his own wants, desires and needs. Es
Kim
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it

Rie Warren is known for her unfiltered, dirty-talking, no-nonsense male point of view books with humor and heat. This story is told by fighter Liam Shaunessy. He is brash, bold, built, and intense. He is also gay, but in the closet. He fought his way from the streets to the big time, but is still afraid coming out would interfere with his career. And his manager is determined to cultivate an image as a ladies' man to keep his secret from getting out. Liam is sexy, horny, but also just r
Rachel
Dec 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-reads
Likes:
Without the other relationship aspect, it’s really a sweet story. But there was so much that bothered me that I had a hard time making it to the halfway point, which is where my first two struggles were finally resolved. After that point, I was interested in how they would handle the relationship and the stressors of Liam’s public spotlight.

Struggles:
Liam’s constant thoughts of sex whenever Michael was in his presence, and often when he wasn’t.
Michael’s relationship with Wade. A long term
Jay
Nov 27, 2016 marked it as dnf
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, ebook, lbr

Gorgeous cover, promising steamy blurb, sexy MMA fighter, oh my! Sign me up! I am a sucker for these stories, and I always love when they stray from the typically expected storyline. Here, Liam is a guy from a crappy childhood who learned to fight on the streets and was able to make a living out of it. Unfortunately, that means hiding his sexuality.

Liam’s father was/is a drunk, his mother works two jobs and Liam was left to look after his 3 siblings. He left as soon as he could but still did his
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
Gritty, edgy, and erotic. Sexy times were plentiful and passionate, but the love story felt slightly uneven. Recommended because I was wholly invested in Liam, Michael, and their fight for their HEA.

I wasn’t familiar with Rie Warren’s work, and I have to say it is a delight to end up enjoying a book that you don’t necessarily anticipate enjoying. I enjoyed the stuffing out of this story about Liam, a closeted boxer contending for the world heavyweight title, and Michael, his NOT closeted trainer
Marie
I have been a fan of Rie Warren's for a while now so I am always up for reading pretty much anything she writes. Poor Liam is hiding a secret that his very Catholic upbringing and tradiitonal fmaily would so not approve of. Add in the fact that he is in a sport where being gay isn't seen as normal or even an okay thing to be and you can easily see why Liam keeps things under wraps. The problem is he is love with Micheal who is very out and very taken. Micheal really made me angry at times with h ...more
Joyfully Jay
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

This book opens with an edgy, hard hitting first person narrative that put me right in the groove. We quickly swirl through Liam’s early years and his introduction to cage matches. All he knows is training and fighting at this point. His training sessions have become torture as he longs for Michael’s touch. He knows who he is and he knows the vast divide between him and Michael.

The story here is that while Liam is intensely devoted to his career and hitting the bi
Beth ~ Panda & Boodle
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“I win fights for you, I want you to be proud of me. I want you to want me.”

Oh, I want Liam Shaughnessy, alright.
And Michael Fairweather.
For myself, but mostly—I want them together. Because together they are fuck hot, heart-wrenching and… ahh, just kind of fabulous.

In the Ring is not the first Rie Warren book I’ve read (the Carolina Bad Boys, y’all, get on that) but it IS the first M/M romance of hers I’ve read and whoa, it doesn’t disappoint. A soulful, raw look at the relationship between a
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

This is my first m/m story by Rie Warren and I loved every word of it. Liam’s voice stayed with me long after I finished his story. The champion boxer represents far too many poor kids with talent for sport. His education is negligible. His words are few. He is his family’s only hope for a better future but to support his mother and siblings he must leave them for long stretches. And when he works and he wins he finds himself m
haletostilinski
So, I liked this one. It was really enjoyable and engaging and the sex was of course, extremely hot to read.

The only reason I'm giving this four stars is because while I liked it, I didn't love it. It's the kind of enjoyable read that's fun, but not particularly amazing, it's just a nice book. Honestly, I felt the lust between Liam and Michael a lot more than their love, although it was there, it felt like there wasn't much of a balance between the lust AND the romance. So much of before they g
AussieMum
I loved this. I think Michael Kage has some serious competition for my favourite MMA fighter.

Liam was such a great character with such a different tone and POV. He pulled me into his story and made me love him. He was sexy, strong, funny, smart, well read and loved Game of Thrones.

With awesome MMA action, sexual tension overload and some A-MA-ZING sex scenes, this was enjoyable right from the start.

My only gripe was (view spoiler)
Lisa The Novel Approach
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars ~ This book is about authenticity—being your true self even if the world you live in is macho-driven with strong homophobic tendencies. It’s about letting your true self shine, both with those closest to you as well as your professional points of contact.

Liam Shaughnessy, or the “Bonny Bruiser”, is a man formed by his less than stellar home life and the rough neighborhood of West Side Cincinnati he grew up in. Early on, he honed the skill of fighting back, better than the other guy, ev
Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆
I liked it. I didn't luuuuv it, but I liked it.

I really liked Liam's family. I wanted more. I was a little disappointed that his father didn't end up out on his ass. But I liked that Liam was still there for his siblings and his mother. That aspect could have been explored more.

I liked the training, and what was shown of the fighting and publicity.
I originally was looking for mma books, because I'm hooked on the Mayweather vs McGregor fight build up. So having the MC be an Irish UFC fighter, go
K
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
PRIDE, HOPE, PASSION, & FEAR, are just a few things that Liam “The Bonny Bruiser” Shaughnessy have playing in his head as he steps IN THE RING, book one of Rie Warren’s new Boxer series that will have you holding your breath one minute, and shouting for joy the next.

The story takes the reader inside Liam’s life as a young boy, growing up inside a catholic home with an alcoholic father and a mother trying to hold down jobs to keep food on the table and a roof over their heads.

Liam, being the olde
Zuzu
Jan 12, 2017 added it
DNF'd at 53%. Life is too short.
Jenny Wood
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Okay, this one was a little different read than I’m used to. I totally dig MMA fighters, but this is my first, M/M, MMA fighter book. It…did…not….disappoint.

Okay, so first we have Liam Shaughnessy, future heavy weight champ. He comes from a big family where he was the caregiver so his mom could work all she could to support them and his dad was a mean, ol drunk; taking his fists to his mother and him and his siblings, so he worked his tail off to get out of there, so he could help them more. He
Cyn
Jan 31, 2017 marked it as dnf
Shelves: m-m, sports
DNF @ 79%. In the beginning I was about this book. But it just kept going and going and the way it was going was nothing new. There was no reason for me to keep reading despite this book having things I like … a lot. I was even skipping the sex scenes because they were just … not great and plentiful to the point of monotony. This fell flat. I suspect that if an editor had cut this to ribbons I would've finished it.
Veronica of V's Reads
3.5 Stars

Liam Shaughnessy survived an abusive childhood and the mean streets of Cincinnati. He's fought and trained to rise out of the underground bareknuckle boxing circuit into the heavyweight boxing matches. Having money means he can take care of his mother and three younger siblings. It also means he can afford luxuries like his own training staff and management. It doesn't mean he can afford to come out, however.

Michael Fairweather has fought his way back from a debilitating injury in socce
BookWorm 221
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, arcs-2016
www.bookworm221.tumblr.com

First time reading a book by Rie Warren and I plan on reading more. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, as always when you are reading a new author you never know what you’re going to get, if you’re going to love their writing or if you’re going to connect with the characters but when I started reading In the Ring I realized that I was going to be enjoying the story and Rie’s writing.

The story centers around Liam an MMA fighter who is gay but still deep in the closet, things
Amber at WickedGoodReads
In The Ring by Rie Warren is my first book by this new-to-me author and I love, love exploring new authors! This story is told entirely from a one man's (Liam's) POV and I would put it in the category of M/M, athlete, contemporary romance.

Liam is a professional boxer who had rough beginnings as a street fighter and is still deeply closeted gay. His trainer Michael is out and proud. He also has a boyfriend. Liam is head over for Michael but cant come out for fears it will ruin his career. After t
Reviews from the Heart (Kimberly Anne)
**WARNING** M/M, Extremely hot, sex scenes.

Liam "The Bonny Bruiser" Shaughnessy thought the biggest fight he would have would be in the ring. He couldn't have been more wrong.

Liam grew up fighting in the streets on the West Side of Cincinnati "Cin City'". He has been receiving and giving punches from a young age. By the age of fifteen, he realized he enjoyed pictures of buff men over babes, balls over boobs. But he had to keep this from his family. His Da would have made his life more miserable
Sandie - Books and Tequila Book Blog
As an avid M/M reader, I’m always a little worried when I try out a new author who primarily writes M/F and has jumped on the same sex romance train. But Rie Warren’s In the Ring shows that some authors can be diverse in their writing and succeed.

In the ring is the story between Liam and Michael. Liam is an up and coming boxer, who is forced in the closet by his manager who doesn’t believe one can be gay in such a macho sport. This is proven false by Michael who is the quintessential man. Former
Romance Ever After Book Blog
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have read quite a few M/M romance in my time, and I have loved every one.
With that being said...this, by far, is the absolute hottest M/M book I have ever devoured. Yes, I completely devoured this book and probably went through AT LEAST 4 pair of panties in the process.

I mean, this book. I find it hard to believe it was written by a woman because, without a doubt, she NAILED the love making and sometimes all out fucking between these two incredibly sexy as hell men. I was blushing while readi
Ruthie Taylor
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

I thought this was a really good book - which played out rather like a boxing match, with periods of fierce fast paced action interspersed with elements of tactic and thought as to how to overcome a particular opponent.

Liam's biggest opponents are in his head, his upbringing and his sport. Much as he desires his trainer Michael, he cannot see a way of being openly gay in his world - and his weasel of a manager reminds h
« previous 1 3 next »

• Prized Possession (Up-Ending Tad: A Journey of Erotic Discovery, #4)
  • Test of Endurance (Up-Ending Tad: A Journey of Erotic Discovery, #2)
  • Sideline Submission (Up-Ending Tad: A Journey of Erotic Discovery, #3)
  • Bringing It Home (Up-Ending Tad: A Journey of Erotic Discovery, #5)
  • Loser Takes All (Up-Ending Tad: A Journey of Erotic Discovery, #1)
  • Blindsided
  • Deviant King (Royal Elite, #1)
  • Just a Bit Wrong (Straight Guys, #4)
  • Just a Bit Unhealthy (Straight Guys #3)
  • Troy's Warlock (Honey Creek Den #2)
  • Hello Forever (Hello Goodbye, #2)
  • Darker Space (Dark Space, #2)
  • Grumpy Old Bear (Chosen, #2)
  • Straight Boy (Straight Guys, #0.5)
  • Sweet Sutton (Chosen, #3)
  • Pretty Angel (Chosen #5)
  • Hot Stuff (Chosen #6)
  • War's Mate (Honey Creek Den #1)
All of Rie Warren's self-published series are available to read on Kindle Unlimited, including the instant hit Bad Boys of Retribution MC, Carolina Bad Boys, Bad Boy Ballers, and many more!

Badass, sassafras Rie Warren is an OG Amazon All Star author of Bad Boy books and MC romance. She delivers five star sex, suspense, and the best banter around. Her stories are one hundred percent original, do no