Start by marking “A Palette for Murder” as Want to Read:
A Palette for Murder

A Palette for Murder

(Aurora Anderson Mysteries #3)

“Johnson paints characters with a folksy charm that makes them feel like family…Color me a fan!” – Diane Vallere, Author of the Material Witness, Style & Error, and Madison Night Mysteries

“Rory is definitely a quirky character; she has the ability to draw the readers in so that they want to follow her through her adventures.” – Suspense Magazine

A killer heat wave settl
Published January 31st 2017 by Henery Press

To ask other readers questions about A Palette for Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Palette for Murder

Carla Johnson-Hicks
This trip to Vista Beach has the residents in the middle of a heatwave. There are two mysteries in this story, one trying to identify a seriously ill homeless man, the second solving a murder. Rory has befriended a homeless man, Kit and is heading down to the waterfront to give him a bag of cans to recycle. When she and Liz can't find him at any of his usual haunts, they are worried. When they hear barking on the beach, they realize it is Kit's dog Buddy. They run to him and ask him where Kit is ...more
JoAn
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Johnson's third book in her Aurora Anderson series was another intriguing and quickly paced cozy that kept me listening to this audio book. I really like these well developed characters and the setting of Vista Beach is a town that I would love to visit. The narrator did an excellent job of defining each character and kept my attention throughout the story.

I received an audio copy of this book from my public library through Hoopla.
Patrizia
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Diciamo che dopo un inizio un po' lento il libro si è ripreso bene, con vari colpi di scena (ma avevo capito chi fosse il colpevole molto tempo prima della protagonista). Al centro della storia c'è il problema dei senzatetto: è stato illuminante (dovrebbe leggerlo alcuni politici, nostrani e no).
LORI CASWELL
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Book 3 in this series takes us to California is heat of summer and some thieves are taking advantage of residents leaving their windows open to catch an ocean breeze. Sadly one robbery leaves behind a body. Rory finds her neighbor dead of an apparent attack. Police quickly focus in Rory’s friend Dawn so Rory does a little investigating on her own but she may be painting herself into a corner.

What a perfect read while it is winter in Wisconsin. The heat seeped right out of the
HENERY PRESS PUBLISHING
“With a smart, sympathetic protagonist, lots of colorful details, and even tips on creating trompe l’oeil paintings, A Palette for Murder is a work of art.” – Ellen Byron, USA Today Bestselling Author of Plantation Shudders
Mark Baker
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, mystery
Vista Beach is in the middle of a heatwave, and thieves are taking advantage of people leaving doors and windows open. It looks like Rory has stumbled on the aftermath of one such burglary when she finds her neighbor, Willow, dead on her kitchen floor. But the police aren’t buying robbery as a motive, and they focus on Rory’s friend Dawn as the killer. Can Rory learn the truth?

Naturally, it turns out that Willow had a number of secrets, and those kept the pages turning until we reached the end.
Sapphyria
Vista Beach is in the middle of a serious heat wave. The lack of cool air is taking its toll on anyone who doesn't have central air, including the homeless community. When Rory and Liz go to check on a homeless resident that Rory has taken a shine to, they find Kit semi-unconscious under a pier with a nasty head wound. Uttering the words "Zoe" before passing out had Rory in sleuth mode. Who is Zoe and who attacked Kit?

The heat wave also has burglars taking advantage of the situation. Residents
Betty
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, cozy, e-books
This fun packed cozy has Rory's life moving along smoothly. She befriended Kit, the homeless man who saved her life. She finds him disoriented on the beach and takes him to the hospital. Rory puts his belongings in a safe place. His dog she fostered out to a family looking to adopt a dog. Rory find her neighbor dead and when an artist friend is arrested for the crime she becomes involved with the investigation. She is seeing a Doctor from the hospital. She invites a friend who has marital troubl ...more
Lisa Morin
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Palette for Murder is an excellent addition to this series.
Rory is a fun character and I love reading about her adventures.
When she discovers her friend Kit unconscious, she has no idea what this grim discovery will lead to.

This story has evolved and the friendship dynamics were great in this book.

I look forward to seeing what's i store for Rory next.

I voluntarily read an ARC of this book given to me from the publisher via NetGalley.
Maria
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rory Anderson is a good neighbour, but when she finds a body (she has found 3 in the last 5 months...) she can not stop investigating till she finds the murderer.
When Rory finds Willow body, she has no idea who could have killed her, there are so many suspects... and the police doesn't seem really interested investigating the murder, so she decides to help them... Maybe she will be the next victim!

This is my first Aurora Anderson mystery book, but it's the third on the series. You can read it as
DelAnne Frazee
ASIN: B01M74ZIL3
Reviewed For NetGalley and Henery Press
Reviewer: DelAnne
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Strong well developed characters that Sybil Johnson has paired with a thought out plot that uses humor and intrigue to get the reader to fall in love with the scene
JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book)
Bonnie
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received an ARC for an honest opinion. While the main character, Rory, is a tole-painting enthusiast, it was not readily evident in this book, but that doesn't matter. It is a quirky, cozy read set in Southern California where Rory has befriended a homeless man that needed some help. Rory stumbles on a murder victim and while the investigation ensues, Rory finds herself doing some sleuthing. The suspect wasn't who I thought it might be but an inkling of who it could be became evident at the en ...more
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book; this is the third book in the Aurora Anderson Mystery series written by Sybil Johnson.This is a great book with a wonderful story and well developed characters. This book will keep you reading long into the night. If you are looking for a great book, then you need to read this book. I am looking forward to reading the next book by this great author. I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader’s copy of this book. The free book held no determination on my personal review.
Orest
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best of the Rory Anderson mysteries. Kept me guessing throughout. Enjoyable read.
Anne
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Book 3 has a more complicated plot than the first two with a new age character, a homeless guy, Rory's former nemesis (the cop), a possible romantic interest and more showing up. The story line gets a little convoluted and as I mentioned previously, Rory needs to do her own work and have the mystery more in her milieu, though this one is close to "home" at least (instead of where her mother is or while she's working for her mother).

I didn't realize that this book was part of the Aurora Anderson
Mary Cokenour
While this book touched on some currently minded issues; I had a difficult time getting through it due to not being able to get in touch with the characters, or even liking much the main character Aurora Anderson.

This was a Goodreads win, and I did not read the first two books of this series, so I will attribute that to my not enjoying this book like I might have.
RO G'ma
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Palette for Murder is the third book in Sybil Johnson’s Aurora Anderson Mystery series. This is the first book I’ve read written by this author and even though I haven’t read the first two books in this series, the author provided good character background and I easily understood their backgrounds and relationships and didn’t feel lost. The story flows at a steady pace that kept me engaged throughout the entire book. The characters are well developed and relatable and I was kept guessing until ...more
Jennifer Ritter
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Palette for Murder is the third installment in Sybil Johnson's Aurora Anderson mystery series. Aurora (Rory) is a computer software designer by vocation and a budding artist by avocation in the seaside Southern California town of Vista Beach. Vista Beach is experiencing an unusual heat wave which is taking its toll on the residents, in particular the homeless. The town has set up cooling centers for those without air conditioning, including the homeless.

First the homeless man Rory had befrien
Lghiggins
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had my introduction to the Aurora Anderson Mystery Series with the third book of the series, A Palette for Murder. This well-crafted book begins comfortably with a chapter that sets the scene in an unseasonably hot beach town and introduces the main characters: Rory (Aurora), a computer programmer, and her friend Liz, a real estate agent. Before the chapter is over they discover Kit, a homeless man Rory has befriended, injured through an apparent attack at the beach.

The plot rapidly becomes mo
Laura Reading
Rory is struggling to survive a heatwave when her life runs off the rails this time. Finding a murdered body for the third time in less than six months seems rare for any person. Her romantic life appears to be moving in the right direction. Liz introduces Rory to a handsome doctor who comes across with a heart of gold. She also learns that the dashing detective is suddenly single.
With the help of friends and friends of friends, this neighborhood mystery reveals itself at a comfortable, steady p
Homerun2
This is the third entry in a series about a women who does tole painting, although that is not much in evidence in this book. Main character Rory Anderson has befriended a homeless man down on his luck and tries to track down his family. In the meantime, an unpopular local healer has been found murdered. What is the connection? The sub-theme here is people who aren't who they appear to be.

This is a readable cozy although I found the plot a little too full of strange coincidences. Rory is persis
Sherry
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Take a murder, mix in some suspense, throw in a few burglaries, add a little romance, & you get a great story line! Main character Rory Anderson again finds herself enmeshed in a murder mystery after finding the body of a neighbor. Rory can't help becoming involved tracking down clue & leads with best buddy Liz. While following her instincts & intuition she finds herself in a tremendous amount of trouble as the plot thickens. I had a hard time putting this book down as more & mor ...more
Christine
Rory Anderson is an earnest, interesting character, but the plot of A Palette For Murder is very implausible. I felt as if the author threw down a bunch of names and tried to work them into the plot without much success. Rory is billed as a software designer and tole painter, but she never seems to work. I would have liked a little more activity in the paint and scrap shop her mother owns.
Janet
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another very enjoyable book featuring Aurora Anderson who finds herself embroiled in another murder. I find these books fun especially how the author brings to life how it is to live in a Southern California beach community. The story is full of interesting characters and as usual for me, I was kept guessing as to the identity of the murder. Highly recommend.
Ann
Jan 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book three in the Aurora Anderson Mystery and has Aurora hunting the killer of her neighbor. When a fellow artist comes under suspicion she steps in to save her. This story touches on assisted suicide. I like the characters in this series, they are down to earth live normal everyday life.
Barbara Tobey
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. I wanted to make the book last longer, but could not stop turning the pages. Clever mystery with several surprises. I am eager to read Rory's next adventure. The publisher provided a copy via NetGalley for my voluntary review. The beach town location with its activities and heat problems was an added treat.
Len
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received my copy via Goodreads giveaways.
This is a charming, 'quirky' SoCal 'cozy', populated by fun characters. The writing is upbeat and fun.
Carol Wallace
Feb 01, 2018
Amaranth
Jun 07, 2017

• The Decorator Who Knew Too Much (A Madison Night Mystery Book 4)
  • Without A Doubt (The Carol Childs Mysteries, #3)
  • Marked Masters (Bodies of Art, #2)
  • A Killer's Guide to Good Works (A Val Cameron Mystery #2)
  • Framed to Death (Faith Hunter Scrap This Mystery #4)
  • Murder on a Designer Diet (A Red Carpet Catering Mystery, #3)
  • Tell Me No Lies (An Ava Logan Mystery #1)
  • River City Dead (Aggie Mundeen Mystery #4)
  • Seeds of Revenge (A Greenhouse Mystery, #3)
  • Fireworks in Paradise (Tj Jensen Paradise Lake Mystery #8)
  • Pot Luck (An Elliott Lisbon Mystery, #4)
  • Death By Sunken Treasure (Hayden Kent #2)
  • The Miser's Dream  (An Eli Marks Mystery #3)
  • Bones to Pick (A Brie Hooker Mystery,  #1)
  • Changing Habits: A Short Story (Giulia Driscoll, #0.5)
  • No Way Home (Zoe Chambers Mysteries, #5)
My love affair with reading began in kindergarten with "The Three Little Pigs." Visits to the library introduced me to Encyclopedia Brown, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle and a host of other characters. Fast forward to college where I continued reading while studying Computer Science. After a rewarding career in the computer industry, I decided to try my hand at writing mysteries. My short fiction has appeared ...more

Aurora Anderson Mysteries (4 books)
  • Fatal Brushstroke (Aurora Anderson Mystery #1)
  • Paint the Town Dead (Aurora Anderson Mystery #2)
  • Designed For Haunting (An Aurora Anderson Mystery Book 4)