Start by marking “The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)

The Hundredth Queen

(The Hundredth Queen #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  20,173 Ratings  ·  1,420 Reviews
He wanted a warrior queen. He got a revolutionary.

As an orphan ward of the Sisterhood, eighteen-year-old Kalinda is destined for nothing more than a life of seclusion and prayer. Plagued by fevers, she’s an unlikely candidate for even a servant’s position, let alone a courtesan or wife. Her sole dream is to continue living in peace in the Sisterhood’s mountain temple.

But a
Published June 1st 2017 by Skyscape

To ask other readers questions about The Hundredth Queen, please sign up.
Jillian I fail to see what is wrong with representing the LGBTQ community in literature. Even if there was an LGBTQ character, it would not make the plot any…moreI fail to see what is wrong with representing the LGBTQ community in literature. Even if there was an LGBTQ character, it would not make the plot any less interesting.(less)
Joyce There is no graphic romance (experiences the main character has are PG in the area of sex), but sexual slavery, rape, incest, female children used for…moreThere is no graphic romance (experiences the main character has are PG in the area of sex), but sexual slavery, rape, incest, female children used for sex by older men, and beating of girls/women all happen in the book. None of this happens where you experience it firsthand as the reader, but it is referenced, discussed second hand, and part of the world. That may or may not play into whether you want your children reading it.

As for a violence rating, the first hand violence experienced by the narrator is not PG. A lot of people get murdered kind of graphically. It's certainly not the worst, but there's more violence than many YAF books. There are a number of descriptions of blood-spurting deaths happening in front of the narrator. Sex slaves have to fight each other to the death in an arena and a number of women die that way in the story.(less)

Emily May
Jun 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017, young-adult, fantasy
The lead soldier is the clearest to make out; his long legs taper from narrow hips and a boxy, solid chest. He is the first man I have seen in person. My eyes widen to take him in. He is more fascinating than the chapel murals of the sky-god, Anu, and his son, Enlil, the fire-god.

^This is on the third page; the first time the MC meets the guy who - surprise! - will become the love interest.

Every now and then, I like to take a break from my TBR. I'll either pick up a classic I've always been me
Lola
Oct 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Insta-love. Rape. Stereotypes. Patriarchy. Manipulation. YA tropes.

It was a lost cause. If only I knew.
Aly's Bookish Wonderland
Tremors rack my body. I cover my mouth, locking in a gasp. Rajah Tarek is here. The ruler of the Tarachand Empire has come to Samiya. I hold still, my flesh shivering.

I promised myself I would not DNF The Hundredth Queen. As I slogged through, wading across pages of murk and badly written metaphors, I thought to myself, "I'm almost there. The end is nigh. What is the point in dropping this book now?"

But I quickly realised that finishing this book was not worth sacrificing my sanity over. No
Sh3llraiser

Okay, lemme just clarify some things and maybe weed out some people who probably shouldn't even give this book a try. This story has instalove. This story involves a culture where the females are owned as property. It's backwards as heck. The females have no power and their best lot in life is to:

1) Get "claimed" by a kind man as wife
2) Live a life in a temple of women, devoted to the gods
3) Be a favored courtesan
4) Live somewhere in a hypothetical wilderness or land that isn't run by an empero
Edith
Apr 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fuck-these-books
Another appropriating white author who doesn't understand that india is not a monolith. Trash.
Beth  (YA Books Central)
The Hundredth Queen is by far one of my favorite books of 2017. I received an ARC of this incredible book before it even had a cover and I was completely obsessed after just reading one chapter. I am one of those readers who is usually drawn to a book because of the cover so when I received this book I read it just because the synopsis sounded intriguing.....and WOW am I happy that I gave this book a chance! The Hundredth Queen blew me away.....I literally could not put the book down and finishe ...more
Crazy4Books
With that gorgeous cover and amazing reviews I was really excited when I got a copy of this. I went into this book not knowing much so when I started it I was afraid it was going to be too similar to Wrath and the Dawn. However despite it similarites it had some unique elements. For one the Rajah doesnt kill his wives he makes them do it themselves in a rank tournement where each time he chooses a new bride she has to fight all of the Rajahs courtesans who wish to take her place.

The rank fightin
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
An Advanced Reading Copy has been kindly given by Skyscape and Two Lions via Netgalley.com in exchange for an honest opinion

4 “fight for freedom” stars

Words of a cover junkie: I think the cover is just gorgeous! Seriously just take two minutes to admire it and tell me it’s not awesome. I could frame it and never tire of watching it.

Emily R King is a new author to me but after reading the enthusiastic reviews of other blogger friends I was really intrigued. I discovered a very talented author gif
R.K. Gold
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Before I get into why this book is only 3 stars I will say some positives. I was always engaged in the storyline; there was never a moment where I thought "I should put this down" or not finish. It was an entertaining and easy to follow plot, and though there was no massive world building the author also never created a confusing environment. Everything that happened had a complete explanation.

If you are worried about spoilers you should stop reading here.

The best part of this book was the vill
Cait • A Page with a View
2.5 stars. Ehhh no this is nothing like The Wrath and the Dawn. That was a well-written book with an amazing main character, vivid world, and... a good story.

The writing here is average and definitely awkward at times. The plot twists are predictable and the relationships are a bit forced/hollow. Buuuut it's still entertaining in parts and I kept reading because there's a freaking princess/guard trope and it gets me EVERY TIME.

The basic idea is that Kali can only leave the remote compound she
Iryna (Book and Sword)
1.5/5 stars

I have so many questions.
- Why didn't anybody tell me how bad this was?
- Why did I fall for the pretty cover yet again?
- Why didn't I DNF'd it?
- Why YA fantasy isn't really fantasy at all?
- Why did I spend $2 on it?

I do have to say that this had tons of potential. Tons! But sadly it was all wasted away. Partly because of the super Insta-romance, and partly because of the very detached writing.

I have never read a book where writing was both very good and very, very bad. The beginning
Amy Leigh
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a captivating story about Kali. As someone who has been sick most of their life this book is inspiring. I can't wait to read the second book in this series!

A tale of how a sickly orphan girl named Kalinda, raised by the sisterhood in a fictional Ancient India/Sumeria esque setting, can fight and rise to be the most powerful Queen in her land. The story is told completely through the eyes of Kalinda and is written so well that you can see and feel as she does. Starting with her preparati
Lillian ☁ Cloud 9 Books ☁
***** 5 Stars *****

I'm shocked to see some of these ratings. If I read this in high school, I know I would've been going to class with only a few hours of sleep. The younger version of me that loved Hunger Games and Twilight would have LOVED this book.

This story has everything I enjoy. A strong heroine. Unbreakable sisterhood. Magical encounters. I couldn't put this down!

Yes, there is an insta-love chemistry, but I didn't find anything wrong with it. It's well written and extremely creative.

Ho
mith
Haha, awkward. How badly I wanted to like this book and how drastically it fell from my expectations.

Look, frankly, I was wary about this book. I was giving it the benefit of the doubt but I am always wary about authors writing about a culture such as this one. It's not that I think they didn't do their research well... it's that I just don't think they'll be able to tell this culture's story well. As it should be told, if that makes sense.

Anyway, despite that, I went into it still hoping I'd li
Jacqueline's Reads
Dec 22, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: audio
DNF with 4 hours left .... AUDIO REVIEW

I originally picked up this book via kindle and I realized I couldn't do it.

Several months later I keep seeing the freaking cover on my Amazon feed and I finally got the audio because sometimes I like the audio more than the kindle version.

The female narrator is fantastic and I kept on listening because of her.

But at the end of the day I couldn't take the plot / summary / storyline, basically the freakin' book.

This book will give you rage. Like powerful an
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Omg this book was freaking awesome!!!! It's the perfect crossover for Young Adult and Adult fantasy lovers! I adored Kali and Deven and I can't wait to read book 2! I need it now!!!
Katherine Karas
Jun 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Okay not a review because I'll have to take time to gather myself and all my anger and annoyance and all the bad emotions and tell you in my Wrap Up. BUT I just read the description for the next book. AND WHAT THE F*CK Y DO PEOPLE STILL EVEN WRITE BOOKS LIKE THIS STILL. This story had so much potential but it was so brutally murder and then next book sounds [how to convey feelings without cursing?]
I just really can't.
Sylvia Mercedes
Let me start by saying this book is beautiful. Seriously beautiful. I mean, that cover? Yeah. But it's more than that. The writing, the atmosphere, the depth of the narrative. I found myself pausing to say, "Wow!" more times than I can count. Emily R. King can write.

This book was an ALMOST five star for me. Only one thing held it back . . . but that was a big enough issue, I struggled to get passed it sometimes . . .

Full review on my website!
Minni Mouse
2.5 stars. The readers who say this was a cross between the young adult and new adult genres? Lies. The readers who liken this to The Wrath and the Dawn ? Well, okay, I suppose I see where they're going with that from a story perspective...but not even close on the prose.

Another case of getting sucked in by arranged marriages and courtesans and forbidden lurve. Serves me right. Be right back while I try to recover my diminished IQ.

THE GOOD
1) Entertaining. Badly entertaining. Until 60% through w
Scrill
Jul 14, 2017 marked it as dnf
Shelves: arc, xeno, romance, ya, fantasy
ARC received from Netgalley for fair review

I. JUST. CAN'T. I hate DNFing an ARC, but no thanks.

My overall reaction:

I gave this a solid shot, and by 73% I am baffled by the lack of romantic development, despite there being a huge romantic element. I get instant attraction, but really? instant attraction to the first man you've seen, and despite the ramifications of possible DEATH you risk your life and their's for someone you hardly know?

You also hate someone for something you have been groomed
Taffy
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, favorites, series
Opening line:
"Snowy mountains tear into the ashen sky, their jagged peaks pearly, like wolverine fangs."

So starts one of the best books I've read this year. Why? Why is it one of my favorites? I got sucked into the book, characters, story and couldn't pull myself out. Heart-pounding adventure, romance and intrigue. Wow. So well written. Ms. King's words are mesmerizing and kept me reading long after I should have been asleep.
Kalinda is an orphan, raised by the Sisterhood, destined to quiet and
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“Let the sky lead me, the land ground me, the fire cleanse me, and the water feed me.”

The Hundredth Queen is an imaginative fantasy that blends beautiful imagery and persistent characters. We follow Kalinda, an orphan ward of the Sisterhood, as she’s chosen to be the hundredth queen for the tyrant Rajah Tarek. Kali must fight for her place in the palace, while hiding a dangerous secret about herself. The Hundredth Queen is filled with mystery, romance, and a beautifully imagined world of pow
Monique V
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

4.5 Stars

I really enjoyed this book. This is the story of Kali who without meaning too catches the attention of the king and becomes the hundredth Rani. Because she is the hundredth Rani any of the other wives and courtesans can challenge her to a duel. The bad part is that Kali sucks at fighting. She is of a sickly complex and suffers constant fevers. But she discovers a lot of things about her se

Rosalyn Eves
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure what to expect going into this book, but I found it fresh, vivid, well-plotted, and intriguing. I think my favorite thing is the way the story grapples with faith--how it informs one's life and one's decisions, how one creates agency within a faith tradition. Looking forward to the next one!
skadoosh
Apr 14, 2017 marked it as stay-away-from
seems like dodgy, culturally appropriative worldbuilding

check out this twitter thread: https://twitter.com/thedimishra/statu...
Christina
3 stars

"We are all half-demon, half-god. The demon half being the mortal side that continually errs, and the godly half being the side that strives to improve. In each life, we endeavor to raise our standing and become closer to everlasting perfection."

Eighteen year old Kalinda is an orphan ward, raised by the sisterhood. She has been plagued by fevers all her life and because of this, it is doubtful that she will ever be chosen to leave as a benefactors wife, courtesan or even servant. She is j
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book, fantasy, own
Audio # 43

I feel like Bardugo fans may like this series
Atlas
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-s
Anything can be changed by those who have the courage to blaze their own path

* * * .5
3.5 / 5

The Hundredth Queen had a strong opening: Kalinda is at mountain temple that raises young girls; in exchange for funding, any nobleman may visit the Sisterhood temple and choose a young woman to be a servant, courtesan, or wife. When Rajah Tarek arrives at the temple to choose his hundredth wife, Kalinda is shocked to be chosen; she had been hoping to be passed on by, free to devote her life to the Sister
Kayla
Reading this finally. I bought it through Kindle First a while ago, and I just received the second book as an ARC through NetGalley so I thought it was time.

This book was legitly incredible.

You can also read my review here: https://gracelingaccountantblog.wordp...

Kalinda was brought to the Sisterhood as an orphan, and despite battling fevers her entire life she had contented herself to living out her life at the temple with her best friend. The one condition of orphan girls being able to live a
Lilly (Lair Of Books)
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
*HUGE thanks to Skyscape, Netgalley & Emily R. King for the eGalley copy of The Hundredth Queen

PLOT

The Hundredth Queen centers around Kalinda who was really trying to live a low key life in the Sisterhood’s mountain temple where she’s lived all her life as a orphan. Prone to strange fevers, Kalinda isn’t able to train as the other sisters do in the ways of the sister warrior Ki. Spending her days sketching or in the infirmary is what she is used to. Due to her sickness, she isn’t the stronge
Emily R. King is a reader of everything and a writer of fantasy. Born in Canada and raised in the USA, she has perfected the use of “eh” and “y’all” and uses both interchangeably. Shark advocate, consumer of gummy bears, and islander at heart, Emily’s greatest interests are her four children. She’s a member of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators and an active participant in her ...more

The Hundredth Queen (5 books)
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • The Warrior Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #4)
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1-4)
“But what is freedom without peace of mind?” 14 likes