Start by marking “Check Mate” as Want to Read:
Check Mate

Check Mate

Prentice has an unusual encounter on the road one night, but thinks nothing of it. He has a well planned life, with no place for the unexpected, the uncontrollable. Oh yes, Joe Prentice has everything under control.

Until his wife disappears, and he meets an opponent who knows how to play the game.

Now, Prentice has to learn the hard way... that not everything goes as plann
Published October 29th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Check Mate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Check Mate

Eeva Lancaster
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Editor's Review:

Check Mate is a quick heartbeat-elevating read. Something thriller fans would enjoy. Ken Fry's short stories all highlight man's inner demons and delusions, and how they are woken up to the truth rather rudely. In this story, Joe Prentice is a controlling man who thinks planning can ensure success in anything, although he's enough of a realist to understand that some of his failures were beyond his control. His so-called perfectly planned life was rattled when his wife was kidnap
Eichin Chang-Lim
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Extremely riveting, brilliant writing; highly suspenseful and a twisted ending. All these elements make it a fascinating short story for this genre. I am addicted to Mr. Ken Fry's long and short novels. This is a MUST READ!
Grant Leishman
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Anyone who regularly reads my reviews will know that I am a big fan of the blockbuster thrillers written by Ken Fry. As any author knows, you can't churn out a thriller every month, so what Ken Fry has taken to doing is to release a short story or two, in between his novels. This is great for us fans, as it gives us a Fry fix, whilst we wait with bated breath for his next compelling blockbuster.
Check Mate, is exactly that, a sixty-page short story designed to keep Fry's name uppermost in his rea
Elaina
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A man who plans everything to the nth degree suddenly has his power taken from him, and has to scramble to plan a way out of a terrible predicament. Yup, he’s in trouble now! Ken Fry spins quite the yarn and had me wondering how it would all end. This short story is clever and edge-of-your seat, with a twist to the tale. Definitely worth a read. And it certainly showcases the author’s talent – I will be reading more!
P.S. Winn
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good short suspense with a twisted ending that I think readers will enjoy. Joe and Martha Prentice have a good life, although a bit boring. All that is going to change when the husband and wife are caught up in a horrifying situation. The author does a good job with this short story and has a great reader friendly writing style. I think the story was done just right and can't wait to read more from the author.
Annamarie
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Check Mate was the first Ken Fry book that I have read, I was sent it to review.

I was a little unsure of if I would like it or not as I do not normally read thrillers but I was curious so I decided to give it ago.

Prentice - the main character - did not realize that firing a guy would make him want to get revenge.

The angry ex-employee tries to run Prentice off the road on his way home from work, Prentice then later runs over a cat and this starts off a whole chain of terrible events for him.

That
Nov 22, 2017
Sylvia  McDonald
Dec 04, 2016
Ken Fry
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Benjamin  Thomas
is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2018
Charlie Brown
Sep 11, 2018
Bestselling and Award Winning author, Ken Fry, writes mystery suspense thrillers, with 10 books published on Amazon to date. 2 are religious mystery, christian fantasy, and biblical fiction bestsellers: The Lazarus Succession and The Patmos Enigma. Often compared to the books of Dan Brown.

He holds a university Master's Degree in Literature and has traveled around the world. Most of the places and