Start by marking “Discord (Echoes of Earth, #1)” as Want to Read:
Discord (Echoes of Earth, #1)

Discord

(Echoes of Earth #1)

Beth forgot her past. What if there’s nothing to remember?

Beth has spent six months at remote Steptoe House in the English countryside and still can’t remember a single thing from before her car accident. The doctors say that’s normal. They say traumatic brain injuries heal at their own pace and insist the music therapy they prescribe to their patients is the key to recove
ebook, 1, 250 pages
Published December 8th 2016 by Plumshine Books

To ask other readers questions about Discord, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Discord

Start your review of Discord (Echoes of Earth, #1)
Kelly Clare
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Discord by Katy Haye

The Story:
Beth has lived at a hospital for brain injury rehabilitation for the last six months, waiting for the day the doctors clear her to return home – to the home she cannot remember…to a family she has no recollection of…. The arrival of Toby triggers a cascade of mysterious clues and spine-tingling revelations that thread together to form a wild reality even Beth could not have imagined.

The Characters:
The friendship between the inpatients of Steptoe House is a high poin
Liz Barnsley
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Discord was a fast and fun read, very clever, starting out as one thing and ending as quite another, I found it completely engaging as an adult who enjoys Young Adult novels.

The group dynamic between the kids in the hospital and the musical themes running throughout the narrative were huge strengths of this one, I can imagine the target audience especially enjoying it (as did I)

I do love when authors mess with genre types and mash it all up a bit and that was the case with Discord, its finale wa
Icy Sedgwick
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this in one sitting - it's that gripping!
Diana Blick
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent young adult science fiction book and a great beginning to a series. Much if what I would like to say would constitute a spoiler, so I will take pains to avoid revealing anything.

The author builds her world very carefully to showcase the oddities that occur one by one. In fact, my only difficulty with the book is that it does seem a little slow in the middle, but part of this feeling is related to the fact that I wanted to know what was going on and I wanted to know NOW. All
Rhoda Baxter
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book because I've read Katy Haye's other books and enjoyed them.

Beth is in a hospital that helps kids with brain damage recover from their trauma, with a particular emphasis on using music therapy. Right from the off, you realise that there's something not quite right. The feeling of something being wrong grows through the book. Eventually, Beth and her boyfriend Toby find out what's going on. I can't tell you any more without giving it all away, sorry!

This is a very imaginativ
Dan
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I want to start by saying I really like this book. The characters are well rounded, varied and likeable. The storyline is exciting, giving enough clues to have you waiting for the answers without giving anything away, and when things go down there's no excitement lost.
And that ending! I REALLY want to read the next book, as there is still too much that needs to happen and the need of knowing is definitely not gone. I really recommend this book, and hope I can get my hands on the sequel soon!
Dis
Dawn
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
What if you couldn't remember anything, not your family, not your friends, and you were seeing ghosts? The characters were typical teenagers, but they are in a care house. This book gives a totally different view of the future. Although written for young adults, I still would recommend reading this book.
TE
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Definitely geared toward a younger audience (teens). It wasn't at all what I was expecting but it was well written and turned out to be kind of neat. The story didn't exactly end on a cliffhanger but left enough open for a second book. I'm curious to see where the author takes the story.
Ann Keeran
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Katy Haye has written an awesome account of teenagers being treated for head trauma. Beth, one of the patients, thinks that the hospital and school isn't quite right. Actually things are extremely wrong. Discover what the teens find about their treatment, amazing!
Christina
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant start to the great new fantasy trilogy – the Echoes of Earth series – from this author. Can’t wait for parts two and three!
Lori Murray
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-book-s
Very weird book, I wasn't sure what was going on until the reveal. I thought the book was definitely different, and wasn't what I was expecting. I would really rate the book with a 3 1/2 if we had a rating system for 1/2 stars. I couldn't decide if I was going to wind up giving it a 3 or 4 star rating at first. The reason I went with 3 instead of 4, is just because while I would continue reading the series, I am not going crazy wanted in my hands right this very minute.
I really loved the charact
Jan Jones
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another fast-paced novel from Katy Hate, this one with hints of mystery and a distinct creepiness. Beth knows there is something wrong with her mind, but she is also beginning to suspect there is something wrong with the world around her. Things happening too easily, fragments of deja vu, the dawning realisation that being brave could change her whole life...

A definite page-turner.

Price: $3.99 USD (EBOOK)

Rating: 4 OUT OF 5 STARS
Jeremy Spring
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
No spoilers here. so I will just say I found the characters in this book well thought out, and belieavable. Their situation is a bit far fetched, but hey, its YA scifi. Overall, an excellent job of writing, and I really highly recommend this book to all who like this genre.
CrazyCat (Alex)
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well written story with believable characters. Little bit slow in some places imo but overall an interesting read.

I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased. Thank you, NetGalley and Plumshine Books!
Gill-Marie Stewart
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Clever, slow-burning fantasy mystery with great characters. You think everything is fine. And then maybe just a little off-kilter. And then ... Read it to find out!
June Jowers
Aug 12, 2017
Sandy Lipinski
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You ever had deja vu? What if what you are dreaming is the truth and awake you lived a lie? This is what happened to Beth. She can't remember her past. Her friends can. A new boy,Toby, becomes her friend and his courage and support helps Beth and Toby find the truth.
Rachel Skinner
Debra Schwitzer
Jun 01, 2017
Elsa Hoffmann
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not a fan of this genre (I mean dystopian/fantasy type books) but this was an enjoyable read.

Teenagers go to Steptoe House to recover from traumatic brain injuries. All of them have exactly the same scar, and are virtual geniuses in music. Music is encouraged as the doctors believe it aids the healing process.

Beth cannot remember anything, even when photographs of her parents are placed before her. There is nothing. She also has a horrible feeling something is afoot at night. She hears noise
Mark Gardner
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I saw Discord, by Katy Haye on Netgalley, and I decided to give it a try. I’ve read some really interesting sci-fi lately with protagonists with memory loss and/or brain damage. It’s interesting to see how different authors handle this serious issue in society – even in future societies.

Not to worry, Discord is an easy read for many age groups. The story just doesn’t make sense for about the first two-thirds of the book. Not in a way that I couldn’t follow the narrative, but in a way that the na
Annette
May 22, 2019
Mandy Walkden-Brown
May 19, 2017
Linda Featheringill
May 01, 2017
Olivia
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Overall a good idea for a story but over half the book could've been deleted and it still would have made sense. Lots of needless scenes such as when Beth and Toby make up a story to explain her "ghost". Made the story drag on and I only forced myself to finish it out of share determination to not leave a book unfinished. Reads more like a lengthy prequel than the first book in a series.

Echoes of Earth (2 books)
  • Dissent (Echoes of Earth, #2)