Start by marking “Adrift in the Pacific: Two Years Holiday (Extraordinary Voyages, #32)” as Want to Read:
Adrift in the Pacific: Two Years Holiday (Extraordinary Voyages, #32)

Adrift in the Pacific: Two Years Holiday (Extraordinary Voyages, #32)

A group of boys find themselves adrift at sea, and after a terrible storm they are cast upon a deserted island, where they must learn to get along together to survive.
Published April 24th 2003 by Fredonia Books (NL) (first published 1888)

To ask other readers questions about Adrift in the Pacific, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adrift in the Pacific

Start your review of Adrift in the Pacific: Two Years Holiday (Extraordinary Voyages, #32)
Henry Avila
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
A grand tour awaits the delighted, eager, fun loving children from Auckland, New Zealand's, Charman School, 15 boys, from eight to thirteen, in age, maybe, a couple a year older, will be taken on a cruise around the two big islands, a great vacation that will last a few weeks, on board a schooner, with a veteran captain in command, and a capable crew, get away from the tedious work, the never ending boredom, of education. But before they begin circumnavigating the colony, with all the sailors, e ...more
Rory
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, pre-1960
I read this when I was 10 years old and I thought it was fantastic. I came across it while on vacation and staying at a relative stranger's house. In hopes of not having to make conversation, I scanned a bookshelf for anything that seemed to have been published for children. This was obviously an adventure story (never my fave genre) but it was 1. my only option and 2. by an author I already recognized as "one of those important ones." I read it in one long sitting and it veritably transported m ...more
Juna
May 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I hate how this book isn't popular enough. My teacher recommended it to me when I was about eleven and I finished it in two days. I found it really interesting. It's one of the few Jules Verne books I could actually finish. It has the typical Jules Verne descriptions and as usual Verne "predicts" the future with "parasailing" and other inventions not present at the time. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoyed William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe. I w ...more
CatholicBibliophagist
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, kid-lit
As a contrast to the Swiss Family Robinson, you can't beat Jules Verne's tale of a group of boys accidentally cast away on a desert island for ingenuity and realism.

I enjoyed reading about how the boys set up and managed their small society. (Naturally there is some conflict between the English boys and the French ones.) This is a great books for boys -- clever inventions, hunting and shooting, a wonderful cave dwelling, and taking responsibility for one's actions.

And pirates!
Yigal Zur
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
l loved this one so much. adventures of young boys on a deserted island.
Magda Żmijan
A bunch of boys ends up shipwrecked on an island and instead of going "Lord of flies" at each other they're starting to organize they're daily work and do everything to survive. Obviously, not everyone agrees on everything, but they manage to get along well enough to survive and even to save other people later on.
A rather steady pace of this story made me read it way longer than the page count would suggest, but in the end, it was interesting and I enjoyed the experience. It might not be my fav
Sasha
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, top, old
This was my favorite book around when I was 10, and many characters were my imaginary friends that I took around town with me... The adventures were awesome, the characters were very realistic (I loved how close in age we were) and I must admit, my favorite parts were all the bickering and fighting scenes between the good ones and the mean ones. Tee hee. As another reviewer said, this is the only Jules Verne book I breezed through and re-read over a dozen times. I wish it was more popular now! ( ...more
Attila Benő
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books ever written! I rarely read a book twice, in fact, I believe this was the only one.

Well-written, believable characters, in a story full of twists. Everything seems simple, and just when you think you know what's going on, boom, things change. I love it! :)
Jane
Apr 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is also known as Adrift in the Pacific, the title under which I found it at http://www.archive.org/details/americana as a free download. It is almost nonexistent in print form these days, yet it's one I read as a child probably a half dozen times. Why hasn't it stood the test of time with Verne's other books? It's high adventure, the story of 15 school boys, ages 7-15, accidentally set adrift on the first night of school holiday in Auckland and how they survived two years on an island. ...more
Matt
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book way back when I was as old as the boys stranded on the island (10-14) and I absolutely loved it.
I re-read it today only to find that the island is much smaller now, the characters shallower and the story thinner. I would give it only 3 stars today, but that would be a little unfair. I'm way past the expected reading age now.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Akemi G.
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-fiction
One of my favorites in my childhood, along with Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by the same author. I read it so many times.

I now realize that was an abbreviated version for children, and the whole story is quite racist. Well . . . I think the version I read was great not only for the exciting adventures but also because it lets you experience all kinds of the social and political problems in a way kids can understand. Great also as a coming-of-age novel.
Jessica
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It somewhat frustrates me that this book is underrated. Personally, I think this is the best book Jules Verne had ever written. It fascinates me how the characters had the abilities to find quick and clever ways to overcome difficulty. And I was really amazed at the house that they built that I wanted to build my own! Double thumbs up to these boys and most especially, to the author!
Johan
May 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french-books
My daughter had to read this book for her school. I read it to, so we could discuss it. She said: it is difficult to get into it but at the end you read it faster, which is true. An interesting little story! And a happy end.
Jelka
Sep 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
3.5*

Okay, this was surprisingly good.

This is an adventure story about a group of young boys surviving on a desert island. I enjoyed reading about how the boys set up their new home and how resourceful they were.

The characters can be pretty one-note and predictable, but I expected this considering when this book was published. The plot definitely is at the forefront, and it's a lot of fun.

The only thing that took away from my enjoyment was the racist behaviour of the boys toward the only Black
Peter Perhac
Got about half way through the book and will stop here. I read it as a child perhaps twenty years ago and I definitely enjoyed it more then than now. Still it’s a pretty good book.
Realini
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Two Years Holiday by Jules Verne

What a magic title- Two Years Holiday. It makes you want to read the book, just for the fun of taking this ride with the protagonists.
Or simply to keep it on your lap, to read when you have a little spare time of your own.
But if you want to read on, this is not about Jules Verne, but about my own ten years holiday… it’s been so long since I have read Jules Verne that I can only speak about the fantasy, the idea suggested by the book.
But is it all that desirable to
Devran ikiz
Two Years Vacation is another book that belongs to Jules Verne’s Extraordinary Voyages but this book targets different audience. It is a book written for children, to show them the importance of hardwork and not giving up. I read this book without knowing anything about it. Well, I knew it was about a bunch of boys ends up in an isolated island, but that was pretty much it. Due to its audience, it is quite an easy read and even there are a lot of parts where things happens just because. During t ...more
Maria Elmvang
Jul 03, 2007 rated it liked it
I had seen a cartoon adaption of this book many years ago, and though I remember very little of it, I do remember that I really liked it, so when I discovered my sister had the book, I thought I'd give it a shot. I love Robinson-stories, and really enjoyed this one too, despite the fact that Jules Verne put much to much morale into the story AND (especially) that he obviously knew next to nothing about New Zealand!!!! He kept writing about the boys were used to hard winters and had learned ice s ...more
Hana
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cielo
Mar 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Usually, I really like Jules Verne, but I just couldn't get very interested in this book. I felt it was a little slow, especially in the beginning, and not a lot really happened overall. It's a shame, because Jules Verne is one of my favorite authors, but I just wasn't feeling it with this book. And doniphan was really annoying.
Jarkko Laine
An enjoyable adventure story in true Robinson Crusoe style. Using schoolboys as the protagonists made it more relatable for my sons, and despite some shooting action at the end, both the 8-year-old and 6-year-old enjoyed the story a lot.
William Ni
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book (in Chinese) during my childhood and was completely immersed in the adventures of these 15 boys. Years later, decided to look up the actual name for this book in English and again find myself immersed into the world, and a greater appreciation of the English language.
Emre  Acar
boring
Adri G.M.
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading Challenge 2015
35. A book from an author you love
Mem Morman
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The appalling subject of THE LORD OF THE FLIES came up last weekend, and it made me think of this book. Not because it is in anyway like Golding's horror story, but because it takes the same subject and does something strong and worthy with it. The story is of a group of schoolboys who are shipwrecked on a south sea island. Yes, they have some personality issues, and yes, the subject of fagging does raise it's slimy head, but this Verne's story is truly the antithesis of the other. The boys try ...more
Borum
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was quite disappointed by what I remember as one of my favorite adventure stories of childhood. Fortunately my son found this book a delightful page-turner and thanked me for recommending this book. There must be a specific age when this kind of book is more appealing. I guess I lost my enthusiasm along with my innocence. I didn't like the pessimism of Lord of the Flies, but I don't appreciate the didactic and penitent tone of the story either.
Filip
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I fully understand that this book is for younger readers and has partly educational purpose. And that it can be considered a classic. But the story is rushed and does not feel realistic - in a sense that all came all too easy for the boys just because they "held together". On the other hand, it is a good read for when you want something light with a touch of exotica.
Dania F
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still my favourite Verne book. Wonderfully written, a more positive version of the latter much more horrendous Lord of the Flies.
Quang Vinh
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I was a big fan of Jules Verne since "2 thousand miles under the sea", but I think i'm not the target reader of this book though.

books and a poet
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is an amazing book full of adventure...
« previous 1 3 next »

• Miguel Strogoff - Julio Verne
  • The Day of the Dolphin
  • The Joke and Its Relation to the Unconscious
  • Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme
  • Olguța și un bunic de milioane
  • Tesla: A Portrait with Masks
  • Todo por un sueño (El Club de las Zapatillas Rojas 3)
  • Los amorosos: Cartas a Chepita
  • ¡Somos the best! (El club de las zapatillas rojas, #4)
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels Journey to the Center of the Earth (1864), Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (1870), and Around the World in Eighty Days (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means