Start by marking “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County” as Want to Read:
The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County

Read Book* *Different edition

The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County

The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County” is a wild yarn involving a case of mistaken identity, a gambler who’d bet on anything, and a very unusual frog named Daniel Webster.
Published October 1st 1965 by Filter Press (first published 1865)

To ask other readers questions about The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County

Start your review of The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County
Jessaka
Sep 17, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not a Winner

***Spoiler Alert ***

Jumping frog contests are supp0osed to be great fun, and this tory is based on the real juming frog contest in Angle’s Camp, CA that goes on to this very day. This story is supposed to be funny, and If you put 5lbs. of B-Bs or buckshot down a frog’s throat to make him too heavy to jump, well, that is supposed to be even funnier than the story that leads up to it. How many kids have tried this after reading his book?

When I was a kid I read this book, and I just no
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
This is one of these stories that nicely illustrate Mark Twain's flair for humorous storytelling.
Paul Secor
A three part book - Twain's original story, a French translation, and finally, Twain's tranlation from the French back into English (or American English, to be accurate). It's a setup, as Twain implies with a wink: "I cannot speak the French language, but I can translate well, though not fast, I being self-educated." And "There may be people who can translate better than I can, but I am not acquainted with them."
Nothing against the French - they make great films - but if I'm going to experience
Yoda
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
First book I read by Mark Twain, I like his writing style even though its a bit of getting used to.
Skyler Klee
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First Mark Twain read. His style gets some getting used to but enjoyable. I love his humor.
Elizabeth
Mark Twain's sense of humor is peculiar, for want of a better word. I think I understand what he was trying to do here, but if I could sum this book up in just one word, I would call it strange. I'm always amused when an author addresses the readers (say, in an introduction, or in an afterward) without actually breaking from the fiction of the narrative, and that seems to be the whole point of this revenge edition.

"The Amazing Jumping Frog of Calaveras County" is a short story about a man who ge
Sarah Ali
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County Theme of Cunning and Cleverness. Though Jim Smiley appears to be extraordinarily lucky, it is partly through his cunning and cleverness that he is able to win bets. He is finally outsmarted by a stranger, who beats him through cheating.
Maggie
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
Short and sweet.
Jess the Shelf-Declared Bibliophile
Amusing, clever and funny!
Carl Koch
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jim Smiley bets on everything he can possibly bet on. One day he found a frog and trained it to jump. The frog learned to jump further than any frog in Calaveras County. One day Jim met a man that said his frog was no more special than any other frog. Jim wanted to prove him wrong so he went to find a frog. While he was gone the man filled up the frog with a lot of quail shot. When Jim got back he bet the man that his frog would win. When the frogs went to jump Jim’s frog didn’t even move. The ...more
Prashant
Mar 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
The story titled 'The Notorious Jumping Frog of Calaveras County' was originally published in 1865. The edition that I read had the story with a preface in which Twain has angrily addressed some frenchman who have tried to translate his story in french and had ended up making fun of it. So Mr. Twain has given the original story to him, then his own translation in french and then the translation in english of the story that the frenchman published in the article.

The story is about a Rev. Leonida
Scott
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Picked this up at the library today because I've always been a big Mark Twain fan and for some reason I've never read this.
It was a short story in classic Twain fashion - the narrator being an educated man getting a story from a more down to earth uneducated man. It's funny and told well and I'd recommend it - only takes about 15 minutes and you'll enjoy it and maybe smile or laugh a time or two.
Melanti
I was lurking in a group discussing Tom Sawyer, and they were discussing how that book represented an American "idyllic childhood" of the era. And after thinking about it a bit, and listening to this short story this morning, I can definitely see their point.

But, oh, how incredibly different Twain is from Bradbury - who's the author I generally think of when I think of small American town idyllic childhoods!
Leah Angstman
I love Mark Twain, but this story goes nowhere. A couple light chuckles. No moral, no purpose. The dialect is classic Twain, as always, but it's really not worth your time. Read Huck and Tom, instead.
Marco
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
“I claim that I never put together such an odious mixture of bad grammar and delirium tremens in my life.” Well, I have to agree. To be honest, I can’t quite understand why my professor made us read this story.
Grace, Queen of Crows and Tomes
For some reason, I've always found the beginning of this short story one of the funniest things I've ever read. I always imagine the narrator with this bewildered look on his face, backed into a literal corner as this old man just stares him down, grabs a chair and sits right in front of him.
Kevin
Mar 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, 1800-s
What a waste of time. Absolutely pointless.
Janelle
Jul 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
An amusing little story about Jim smiley, a man who’d bet on anything and his frog.
emrys merlin
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun but pointless
Danny Callahan
Oct 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
What is the point of this story? I don't understand why this is rated so high in Top Short Stories of all time lists. A gambler gets fooled. Ok. So what?
Janice
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After spending several days in Calaveras County, just west of Yosemite National Park, this past summer, I wanted to read this story by Twain. Much is made of this story, and Twain's stay there, in this rural California area. You see frogs everywhere, and the cabin Twain shared with friends is preserved near Angel's Camp. The story is a fun one, and Twain apparently repeated it often, before and after he put pen to paper. This story is said to be the writing that made Twain decide that he was mea ...more
Lauren McDonald
a very silly story, with a large moral, quite average imo
Himali Kothari
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
READING #18

The Celebrated Jumping Frog by Mark Twain

A silly tale used to make a moral point? Or, perhaps Twain just sat down at his desk by a window saw a frog leaping around in his garden and decided to spin a tale around it!

#bookskeepmesane #reading #powerofstories #marktwain #celebratedjumpingfrogofcalaverascounty #classicliterature #shortstories #doodles #doodleaday #doodlesofinstagram #bookstagram
Arnau
May 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
Fucking amazing it changed my life
Joe Schalkowski
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
I read the short story “The Notorious Jumping Frogs of Caleveras County.” I liked the short story but it was a little confusing. The beginning of the story was somewhat hard to follow and was a little all over the place but it cleared up a little bit at the end. The general idea behind the story was good and is a very valuable lesson to learn in life. In the story, a man named Jim Smiley always found a way to bet on something. He bet on anything from horse races and dog fights, to chicken fights ...more
Corey Schmidt
I read “The Notorious Jumping Frog of Calaveras County” by Mark Twain. In the story the main character, Smiley, gets himself into a little bit of trouble. Smiley is a man who likes to bet on everything. He bets on dog fights to birds flying off fences. One day he catches a frog and trains it to jump. He wins a lot of bets with his frog until one day when a stranger comes to town and takes his bet. While Smiley is away he stuffs his frog full of lead quail shot. When it's times for his frog to ju ...more
Michel
Sep 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michel by: Rita
Shelves: doulce, lang, humor
"Traduttore, traditore" (Translating is betraying, or something like that).
Mark Twain set out to 'prove' that point by caricature (which I'm sure is one of the 'fallacies' of deductive reasonning, but who gives a ** when things get so out of hand you get a LOL per page).
This is so funny you forget there is a real dilemma illustrated here: unless you read a foreign author 'in the text' (and know the language well enough to catch the non-said), you do not know what the guy really meant, you get wh
Javi
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
En un "Google Translate gone wrong" del siglo XIX, Mark Twain denuncia la mala traducción de uno de sus relatos ofreciendo su versión original, la de un crítico francés y la traducción que él hizo a posteriori de la francesa. Las anotaciones de Twain en éste último texto son más divertidas que la historia original: "Eh bien! I no saw not that that frog had nothing of better than each frog.” [If that isn’t grammar gone to seed, then I count myself no judge. I have no heart to write more. I never ...more
Kathryn
Jun 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
The titular story is okay. Cute, but only okay.

The real gold in this collection of sketches are the pieces "Answers to Correspondents" (seriously giggled out loud about eight times), "Concerning Chambermaids" (very amusing bit of hate-rant) and "The Killing of Julius Caesar 'Localized'" (where Mark Twain writes as if he was a first-eye witness reporter to the assassination of Caesar - best punch-up between toga-wearing gents if there ever was one!)!

Oh, the joys!
Patrick
Apr 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
This is actually in a collected book of Twain, but I wanted to rate the story separately. The plot of the story is not actually that great. But the language...is awesome. It captures this uneducated, small-town guy so well. Like the Huck Finn accents. I loved the language. It's like 5 pages. Read it just to hear the guy's voice.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• A White Heron
  • Rip Van Winkle
  • Desiree's Baby
  • Young Goodman Brown
  • Signs and Symbols (Stories of Vladimir Nabokov)
  • Un señor muy viejo con unas alas enormes
  • The Lady or the Tiger?
  • The Monkey's Paw
  • The Bet
  • Hills Like White Elephants
  • A Rose for Emily
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work