Start by marking “Follow the Stars Home” as Want to Read:

Acclaimed novelist Luanne Rice "touches the deepest, most tender corners of the heart" (Tami Hoag, author of A Thin Dark Line). Her stories remind us how precious and fragile life can be—and that we must risk our hearts every day to know happiness. Follow the Stars Home is just such a novel: a story of poignancy and heartbreak, grace and courage.

Being a good mother is neve
Published January 2nd 2001 by Bantam (first published 2000)

Start your review of Follow the Stars Home
Alatea
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Idk, it's very hard to rate this one. This is not a bad book, but it's just... argh, I can't put it in to the words. I know that I was supposed to be touched, but I didn't feel that way. And I didn't feel for the characters. Finished it quickly and I'm sure I will forget it soon.
Aimee
Mar 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
My mom read this while on vacation a few months ago and since then has been IMPLORING me to read it. I finally did and wow, do we have different taste in books. This was torture to read - the whole thing was cheesy. The writing was bad, the love scenes were hokey, it was at least 100 pages longer than necessary. The best thing I can say about it is: I'M FINALLY DONE WITH IT!

Can't wait to return it to my mom tomorrow. Ugh. Never again.
Swanbender2001
Aug 24, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I returned this to the library unfinished. I found I didn't have the patience to listen to this woman's problems and what was keeping her back from finding love.
Ali
Oct 18, 2010 rated it did not like it
Oh man, so unbelievably corny. And I have a high corny threshold.
Sreevidhya
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All who love reading...
This book is really amazing....
Julia, her mother and Alan'll make a really good family...
And I love you Luanne for writing this book...
Mar
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shirlene
Dianne was in NY with 12 yr. old Amy. It was snowing and they were attempting to hail a cab when a taxi spun out of control and hit them. Amy broke her collar bone and Dianne was in serious condition when they were both taken to the hospital. Her wallet was stolen but a card with the name of her husband's boat was in her purse and they called him, Tim McIntosh.
Dianne met Tim's brother, Alan first. They had one date after he moved into town to become the local pediatrician. She then met Tim when
Connie N.
This is not my favorite Luanne Rice book, but it's lovely and made me cry (as usual) because of the characters' strong love for each other. It revolves around an unusual family where one brother married the girl, got her pregnant, but took off when the baby was born defective. Dianne then continues her life caring for a badly deformed daughter, but with the loving support of her mother and her husband's brother. They all develop a strong bond, then expand to include a lost and neglected girl abo ...more
Angie
May 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Taken from www.barnesandnoble.com:
"Being a good mother is never simple: each day brings new choices and challenges. For Dianne Robbins, being a devoted single mother has resulted in her greatest joy and her darkest hours. Weeks before her daughter was born, she and her husband, Tim McIntosh, received the news every parent fears. Tim had not reckoned on their child being anything less than perfect, and abruptly fled to a solitary existence on the sea, leaving Dianne with a newborn—almost alone.

I
Loraine
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit, feel-good
This is a very, very good book. I am so impressed with the author's ability to bring the relationship of a mother and her invalid daughter to light. I had heard of Rett's syndrome, but wasn't aware of the details of it. I loved how much the mother loved her daughter, and even more, how her friend loved her and did not judge her, but loved her not in spite of her disabilities, but just loved and accepted her. There is so much misunderstanding about invalids, mental illness, physical disabilities, ...more
Delma
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Weeks before her daughter was born, Dianne and her husband, Tim McIntosh, received the news every parent fears. Tim can't deal with the thought of having a child that is anything less than perfect. He abandons his wife and flees to a life at sea as a lobsterman.

Tim's brother, Alan, the town pediatrician, stands by Dianne and her special needs daughter. Throughout years he is their rock of emotional support. Alan hides his love for Dianne. Dianne closes her heart to love. She devotes all her tim
Susan
Oct 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book because it was a quick and easy read. The story is about a woman named Diane who's husband left her after finding out their child would be handicap. It goes through her life as she deals with being a single mom taking care of her child with the help of her mother. She also gets help from her brother-in-law, Alan who is the girls doctor and is in love with Diane.

He finds a friend for his niece named Amy, who doesn't have a pleasant childhood because she has a drug add
Nenette
Jan 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Beth Jalea
Recommended to Nenette by: Kit Salalima
An 11-year old girl with Rett syndrome; her mother, abandoned by her father even before she was born; her father’s brother, who stood by and cared for them through all those years; a neglected 12-year old girl, in need of love and yet has so much love to give herself. What I like about Luanne Rice’s stories is their redeeming quality – through all of life’s trials, there’s always hope to overcome; though there are mean people, the good are the ones rewarded with happiness at the end. Life is goo ...more
Jan
Nov 22, 2008 rated it liked it
This is a nice book about nice people.

They also turned it into a decent Hallmark movie.

A woman, with a disabled child, is abandoned by her husband, but is making it alone (with the help of the husband's brother who of course becomes the love interest).

There is a girl, on the wrong side of town, who is more or less abandoned by her mother (family). The two get together and form a wonderful bond centered around the disabled girl. Really sweet book.
Kaye
Oct 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Slightly better than average romance. Women with handicapped child learns to take love again. Book club selection.
Machel
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of Luanne Rice's best novels. I still remember the character's vividly and read this book over 12 years ago. m
Tonica
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have seen this movie, and like all movies it seems the book is much more indepth. Tears of beauty and tears of sadnees melted into my pillow. I couldn't put the book down until I finished.
Dyana
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I really liked this book and found it a compelling read; but, at the same time, the writing was flawed in spots. There was a lot of repetition as if the reader couldn't get it the first time, some of the scenes were cloyingly sweet, and every character at one time or another had tears in their eyes or were always crying or choked up.

The book opens with two of the main characters going to New York to see The Nutcracker Ballet. There is a horrible accident, and the rest of the book is a flashback
sharon mason
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tissues at the ready, we can fear for Orion, but it's ok, Stella saves the day!

The gathered emotional and interrelated feelings of this unique family carry the characters along so deeply that they become real. The typical book review would read "a heartbreaking story of love, loss and courage."
And yes the story involves these things, but much more, much more. The central heart is Julia, a 12 year old who was born into a much mangled tangle of nerves, organs and appendages. And although she canno
Maria
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful read. On these past two freezing sudden Arctic blast days with nothing to do but read, I lost myself in this beautiful story. To know of these characters is in many ways similar to loving the Anne of Green Gables novels, just as in the story refers to as well. I loved the heartfelt passion both Dianne and Amy have for life. Amy truly is a little girl who reminds me of me, and Anne!
I think those who have given this a low star rating have never been in that position of loving so
Corrinne Jones
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So as a teenager I happened upon this movie in the local video store and being a huge hallmark movie sucker I fell in love with the movie. It wasn’t until college that I discovered there was also a book! I was so excited to read the book one of my favorite movies was based on. I have read it many times since and I love reading or listening to it each time. The characters are not your typical everyday heroines which I think is what makes them great. They each have such endearing qualities that ma ...more
Melanie
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gripping from the outset, Rice again manages to engage the reader as a friend of the characters. I will miss them all now that I have finished the book. Despite its ostensibly sweet topic about a devoted mother and "romance" underpinnings, Follow the Stars Home gives the reader deep thoughts about life, love, the human condition at its best and worst, and leaves you pulling for the characters to find happiness. Amidst the dark turns, there is always wisdom and hope. Loved it.
Judith Clark
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absorbing

I easily get transported to another world, totally absorbed in the story whenever I read one of Luanne Rice's novels. Her characters are always well developed and, as in this story, fill my heart with joy and break it at the same time. This is an especially poignant story which enlightened me about Rett syndrome. I highly recommend this book to anyone that loved to read.
Marie
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Don't pick up this book unless you have absolutely nothing else planned to do.
I held it together until the last chapter, then sobbed through it. Beautiful story about a mother of a disabled child.
I could have done without some swearing and a few more graphic love scenes which I skipped over, but I would like to read other books by this author. The best thing I have read in a while.
Sharon
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
There were parts of this book that were really good! Yet the more I read, the less stars I gave it. There were too many tears--somebody was crying on almost every page. The general plot itself was good, but the story dragged on too long and just became unbearably depressing.
Emily
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
3.8 better than the average romance: about learning to love the life you have and that it’s never too late to pursue what might have been. A little bit heavy handed and clumsy but overall satisfying at the end.
Mary Geraghty
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joyous and touching

What a great story, so beautifully crafted and placed in the book. I absolutely loved the characters and especially Julia's story from her own point of view. How lovely to have the kindness of strangers and neighbors. You must read this book, please. 🏡 🐕
Melanie
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by this book! I didnt know what to expect as this was my first Luanne Rice book. I found it completely intriguing and I had to read more. I grew to really connect with the characters and needed to know more! I will try more from her for sure!
Mary Ripley
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Love story with a twist. A daughter born with many deficiencies yet lives til she is in her teens. The father abandons them but the brother loves both the mother and child
Arlene
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have always loved reading a Luanne Rice book. I have a few collection of her works. This is just so beautiful :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Follow the stars home - Relationship between in-laws..... 1 3 Jul 10, 2015 08:01PM

• The Ocean Between Us
  • The Smoke Jumper
  • Coast Road
  • The Secret Between Us
  • The Lilac House (Lake Summers, #1)
  • Flirting With Pete
  • Moon Shell Beach
  • Saving Sandcastles (Lobster Bay Book 1)
  • The Curl Up & Dye (Blessings, Georgia #1)
  • That Weekend in Paris (Take Me There(Stand-alone) Book 3)
  • National Velvet
  • Safe Harbour
  • Just Breathe
  • A Second Chance Summer (Coming Back to Cornwall #1)
  • One Simple Wish: Return to Lighthouse Point (Charming Inn Book 1)
  • The Waratah Inn
  • The Restaurant
  • Between Friends / Home to Honeymoon Harbor
Luanne Rice is the New York Times bestselling author of thirty-five novels including LAST DAY, BEACH GIRLS, and THE SECRET LANGUAGE OF SISTER. THE SHADOW BOX will be out in January 2021. Five of her books have been made into movies and mini-series, many have been New York Times bestsellers and two of her pieces have been featured in off-Broadway theatre productions. She lives on the Connecticut sh ...more

News & Interviews

“The biggest mistake any of us can make is thinking that love is a feeling, an emotion. It's not that at all. It's an action.” 61 likes
“Our stories remind us how precious and fragile life can be-- and that we must risk our hearts everyday to know happiness.” 10 likes